Lydia's Dream Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What?"

"That's the tree, Tom."

"What tree?"

"Don't you remember the dream I had?"

"No."

"Oh Tom. The second or third night after we met, I dreamed I saw a tree leaning out over the water. We were in a boat and I dreamed that we had wonderful sex under that tree as I gazed at it." She then looked around and grinned that devious grin. "Can we do it here, please?"

"Pam, this is not a private place. Anyone can see us if they come by."

"Tom, there's no one here. Look around. Listen. There are no motors or anything. Please."

"Okay, but let's be quick about it and promise me you'll stop if we hear a motor running."

"Sweetheart, the only motor you're going to hear is mine." She stood and got her balance in the rocking boat. After looking around one more time, she shimmied off her jeans and panties as I struggled to remove mine. It took a while and it was terribly uncomfortable but we did it. Pam was elated to have lived out one of her dreams. I couldn't help but laugh at her enthusiasm for having sex in such a setting.

I didn't know it at the time, but Pam missed her next two monthly periods. She didn't tell me anything even after she started have morning sickness. A visit to the doctor confirmed her hopes and she told me that night.

I was like a child... mentally jumping up and down with excitement. I couldn't control my thoughts enough to have an intelligent conversation. She assured me that everything was fine and I didn't need to worry about anything. Somehow that thought couldn't calm my emotions. I didn't sleep a wink worrying about how to protect her, about her driving Angel, about her being on her feet all day at the bank. You name it... I worried about it that night.

The next day, we heard from David the happy news that little Noah was born early that morning in Houston. Jerri did great. He weighed in at a little over eight pounds and was in perfect shape with a full head of dark hair. Ruth was planning to fly down that afternoon to help when Jerri came home from the hospital.

Pam's next doctor visit was during her fourth month and she let me go with her. The doctor ordered a sonogram and I held her hand as the technician slowly moved the sensor across her midsection. Having never seen the images from one, I was unsure of what I was looking at. The technician knew and smiled as she glanced at Pam and me.

"Did you know you're having twins?" she asked.

We were dumbfounded and speechless. Pam and I stared at each other and broke out laughing. Never once did we think about a multiple birth.

I asked, "Can you show us?"

She moved the sensor around and showed us the tiny heads, two hearts beating and the miniature legs and arms that, in my mind, seemed to show them hugging each other. We giggled and laughed, unable to take our eyes off this miraculous image. Because of the way they were turned, we couldn't tell their sexes; but we didn't want to know anyway.

Once Pam's stomach was cleaned and she dressed, we met with the doctor. He told us that every thing looked good and gave his opinion of exactly how far along she was and when the babies would be due. The conception timing matched perfectly to that day on the lake under the tree. The due date was estimated to be December 24th, 2013. Pam and I glanced at each other and smiled when she said, "They'll be my present to you, Tom."

"Must be nice to finish your Christmas shopping this early," I joked.

"Not exactly, I still have a little work to do, sweetheart." We all smiled.

The next day was taken up by one phone call after another as Pam let everyone know the great news. Ruth told Pam that, to her knowledge, these would be the first twins in the Davis family line. Janie was ecstatic at the news and both she and Ruth promised to come and help when the babies arrived. These kids had it made, even before they emerged into our world.

****

As summer passed, I converted the bedroom we had picked for Pam's office into a nursery with two of everything. The excitement was palatable and I marveled as Pam's firm and toned figure began expanding. It seemed that every day, we were buying food for her growing appetite, including some she just had to have for some reason. I remembered Dad telling me one time that he had to go looking for watermelon in the middle of the night in February when Mom was pregnant with my oldest brother. Mom just had a craving for it. Pam had similar cravings but it was now easier to find what she just had to have.

The world for us paused in early October for Janie and Freddy's wedding. They decided to do a destination wedding in Hawaii and all of us went to Wailea, Maui. We were thrilled when Pam received permission from the doctor to travel. With 10 weeks to go, the doctor believed it was safe since Pam had been doing great. Because Janie no longer had her plane, we flew business class and arrived at the Four Seasons Hotel a few days before the ceremony. Pam was very cute as a pregnant lady and people connected with the airline and hotel wanted to help with their friendly attention, wheelchairs and luggage assistance.

Dozens of Janie's friends, models and former employees came to the wedding from Los Angeles; and it seemed like everyone wanted to have photos of Janie, Pam and Jerri together. Noah was very good and didn't mind all the attention from beautiful strangers as he was passed around. Janie's girlfriends whispered their congratulations to her for finding someone like Freddy. They were enamored by this handsome young man with a cute Southern accent.

We men walked around with our tongues hanging out. Donna and Rick were there and Rick finally got to meet realPlayboymodels. Janie's girlfriends included several ladies who had been inPlayboyat least once. When they gathered in the bar each evening, it seemed that half the men on the island showed up to gawk and try to talk to them. The hotel brought in extra bartenders to help with the boisterous crowds.

The rehearsal dinner was a typical luau with a whole roasted pig and many Hawaiian dishes. The sunset was memorable, with dramatic shades of red, orange, blue, and yellow reflecting off the clouds.

The wedding was in a floral courtyard overlooking the beach and was conducted by a local minister who did hundreds of these every year. A three-person string ensemble with a harpist performed the music and Pam sang a lovely song. She later told me that the twins had been kicking like crazy until she started singing. They were very still once the music started. The fact that they seemed to like their mom's voice would pay off later.

Freddy and Janie left for a honeymoon on Bora Bora in French Polynesia. The pictures they took of the resort and their snorkeling adventures made it look like a tropical paradise.

We remained a few days after the wedding and toured Maui, the Haleakala volcano, the sugar plantations and the great surfing area Hookipa Beach on the North Coast. We made a terrible mistake and started to take the road to Hana, which is 35 miles of the most curvy, twisty and dramatic switchbacks it is possible to create. Poor Pam and the twins were swaying back and forth so much that we quickly changed our minds and turned around at the first opportunity. There was no way she could do that road without getting motion sickness.

Returning to Chattanooga was a little rougher on Pam for some reason. I made sure she did nothing but rest the following two days and asked Donna to stay with her to assure that happened. Rick and Donna were as excited as my parents about the twins, it seemed.

Thanksgiving dinner was at my parents' house. Mom, Dad and I did most of the cooking but Donna insisted on bringing the desserts. We had a wonderful day and much of the discussion centered on the twins who were now only a month away. The doctor estimated their weights were in the five to six pound range, which pleased him. He said they would gain at least another pound if she carried them to full term. Pam was huge and very uncomfortable. Nightly back rubs were in high demand and I was glad to give them. The poor lady was tired most of the time but still consumed many calories every day. She wanted to get it over with and the sooner the better.

As all mothers know, that last month is filled with discomfort, back pain, sore legs and feet, but also excitement that the babies are coming soon. It was that way for Pam. We had one false alarm run to the hospital when it appeared she had gone into labor. A week later, on December 18th at 2:00 am, she shook me and said, "It's time."

I flew into our planned action and loaded her bag just as soon as we were dressed. After carefully walking her to the car, we drove safely to the hospital and I held her hand as she had two contractions on the way. Arrival was exactly as expected and the attendant wheeled Pam back to the prep area while I signed her in. All the paperwork had been done ahead of time. I quickly went to change clothes and prepare to be in the labor and delivery rooms. We had attended many childbirth classes where I played Bill Cosby in his famous Lamaze breathing comedy skit. It was no longer a comedy.

Pam was in the labor room and resting between contractions when I found her.

"Has the doctor been called?" I asked the nurse. I was a nervous wreck.

"No, we need to see the contractions about seven minutes apart before we call. She may be in labor several hours before that happens."

"Are the babies okay?" I asked as I looked at the monitors.

"Perfect," the nurse responded with a big smile. "Don't worry, she is three centimeters dilated and all the vitals are normal. One baby is in position, so now we wait. Her body will do everything naturally at this point."

"Pam, are you sure you want to do this without the epidural?" I asked.

"Yes. I want to do it the way God intended. I can do it Tom. What time is it?"

I glanced at my watch. "Just after 4:00." The next contraction began and I held her hand and coached her as she did the rhythmic breathing and stared straight ahead, trying to focus beyond the pain.

Two hours later, the contractions were eight minutes apart. The nurses came in and out every ten minutes to check and were very pleased with the progress. Pam drank ice water but nothing else as we waited. Her labor seemed to slow down for maybe 30 minutes but then resumed and became more intense.

After 10 hours, her contractions were five minutes apart and were lasting about thirty seconds. She was a real trooper and I was amazed at her strength and commitment to do it without pain medication. That morning, I had called my parents, Donna and Rick, and Ruth and Rudy to let them know she was in labor. Ruth said that she would come as soon as she could pack.

It was very serious about 13 hours into labor when the contractions were lasting 45 seconds and she was nine centimeters dilated. The pain was intense with each contraction and the breathing technique was getting old in a hurry. Pam was already tired when the doctor walked in.

"Pamela, you've done a great job, lady. Both are looking super and are in position. We're going to move you now to the delivery room equipped for multiple births. A team of nurses is there preparing everything and it's going to be over soon. Just hold on and keep bearing down with each contraction. We'll have you push as soon as we get you setup there. Tom, can I see you outside for a moment?"

We walked outside and the doctor said, "We have many multiples here and everyone in the room knows their job. Just stay out of the way. It's going to be busy in there. Would you like to hold the first child? I don't want Pamela to hold it until she delivers the second one."

"Yes, I definitely want to hold my baby."

"Very good. You will remember this the rest of your life. It's not going to be long now." He smiled and patted my back.

The delivery room personnel came and rolled Pam into the room. I put on clean scrubs as they prepared her. After the doctor told her to start pushing, it took only ten minutes of very hard effort by Pam before the doctor said, "The head is out. Great job Pamela. Now push. Great! Keep pushing. Push once more. Great job. Here it comes."

I watched with amazement as the little one was removed by the doctor and handed to the nurse holding a large towel. After its air passage was cleaned, it began crying immediately and squirming as the doctor said. "You have a beautiful little girl." The nurse took her to a table and cleaned her carefully as she screamed. Pam stretched to try to see her. We could tell she inherited her mom's lungs.

Pam caught her breath long enough to smile when I kissed her cheek. "I am very proud of you, sweetheart," I whispered.

"Six pounds and two ounces," announced the nurse. "Great size!" She brought our daughter wrapped in a very soft blanket to me to hold and I showed her to Pam. The smile on her mom's face was priceless.

In another five minutes, the pushing started again and the second baby soon entered the world. "It's a boy," the doctor announced. Like his sister, he started screaming right away as the nurse wrapped him in a towel and carried him to the cleaning table.

I cheered and leaned in to kiss Pam. Her hand gripped mine but I could tell she was totally exhausted.

"Six pounds and six ounces," announced the nurse.

The doctor said, "For twins, those are great weights. Pamela, you did a wonderful job. Congratulations to you both." He continued his work on her for another few minutes but our attention was fully on our children. The nurse brought our son to Pam wrapped in lovely soft blanket. Nothing could wipe the smiles from our faces. They were beautiful.

In a few more minutes, Pam was moved to recovery with the babies riding along, one under each arm. The nurses stopped to admire them and congratulate us. While she was getting situated, I walked out to find a soda and call my parents. They were elated and relieved for Pam that it was over. They promised to call Donna and come soon. I then called Ruth and relayed the great news. She was thrilled and estimated her arrival would be in two hours.

After Pam was situated in the recovery room, a nurse worked with her to start breastfeeding. The initial colostrum in her breasts was important in helping the babies avoid infections.

That evening was one of rest and recovery for Pam and excitement for the rest of us. My parents and Lydia's parents came and were there when Ruth arrived. Everyone saw the babies in the nursery and commented that they were glad they were fraternal twins and not identical. We agreed. Pam already had too many apples from that barrel by looking so much like Janie.

The nurses had Pam up and briefly walking late that evening and continued to help her with breastfeeding training. The babies took right to it and Pam was jubilant, although she said it hurt at first. I was never more proud of a person in my life than I was of her.

Ruth stayed with Pam while I went home, exhausted but never happier. I was on my knees that night thanking God for Pam and the babies and their good health.

The next few days were hectic. Pam and I talked and decided to name our son "James Richard Sumter" in honor of our two fathers. The big debate was what name to give our daughter. Pam wanted to honor her mother and use "Ruth" as part of the name and after a night of going back and forth, I told her to name her whatever she wanted. Since Pam did all the work, she should have that privilege. I was very surprised that she decided to name her "Lydia Ruth Sumter" and call her "Liddy."

At first, I was upset. I only wanted one Lydia in my life. Then Pam reminded me that Lydia had asked the messenger in one of her dreams if I would remarry and have the children I always wanted. With that, I realized that these babies were important to Lydia, just like they were to us. The more I thought about that, the more I liked Pam's decision.

Pam and the twins were released two days later.

The nursery was a very busy place and I quickly learned to change dirty diapers. Pam needed to nurse them every three hours initially and I was expected to help with burping and rocking them to sleep. Ruth helped with that while I had to be at work but every night, I was on duty like Pam. The new mommy rested every moment she could between feedings. Thankfully, she seemed to be making enough milk and the twins seemed satisfied.

Janie and Freddy came a couple of days before Christmas and spent the holiday with us. Janie was great to pitch in and help Pam and Ruth with the babies. None of us knew it at the time but Janie had just conceived a few days before they came.

That Christmas was a blur. All our focus was on the twins and keeping up with their schedule. Our friends gave them many beautiful outfits and Ron showed up at the office one day with 20 boxes of diapers, a gift from the chefs. We needed them.

Epilogue

It is now fall 2014 and the twins are doing well. We've discovered that Liddy and Jimmy have very different personalities. Liddy is more outgoing and vocal about her needs and desires, always the first to start a round of fussing. I think, with her powerful lungs, she will be very much like her mom. Jimmy is quieter and seems more interested in interacting with Pam and me, always laughing or smiling and seeming to crave our attention. Both are gaining weight normally and love to nurse. Pam has started weaning them. She is already talking about home schooling using Lydia's book for guidance.

Janie had their baby just a few weeks ago... a seven pound, twelve ounce little girl with the most beautiful curly blonde hair and her mom's nose and mouth. They named her Naomi Li- McDonald. She was born in the Greenville Hospital, where Janie had been born 30 years before. Ruth is ecstatic once again and is celebrating four grandchildren in just two years.

Janie and Freddy's farmhouse is now finished and it's beautiful. We took the babies and visited with them a few days after they moved in. The builder had done a spectacular job on the stonework and the interior modifications were lovely. From the outside it looks like a 200 year-old house on its original setting. From the inside, it looks like a new estate manor house with every amenity one would want. Everyone was pleased with the way it was done.

Another 70 acres of land adjacent to the farm became available and Janie quickly acquired it. Freddy wants to increase the size of the herd with new Hereford bloodlines and those additional acres would be perfect to support that. The young bull had been exchanged with his dad's bull to avoid inbreeding.

During our visit Janie and Pam spent at least an hour on the porch swing each evening with the babies and sipping iced tea while talking about how blessed they were that God had brought them to this point in their lives. It could easily have been very different.

The new restaurant is well underway, and we plan an early April 2015 opening. In the end, Dad decided to create his own menu offerings and our chefs have been working with him refining the recipes and making them unique to the new restaurant. We've not yet named it, but I'm betting it will have my mom's name Sarah in there somewhere. Dad is so devoted to his lover of 47 years he will not miss this opportunity to honor her.

One recent evening, Dad asked Pam to consider giving a small concert with him during the opening week ceremonies of the restaurant. Pam was euphoric and instantly agreed. Aside from the formal dining area, the building will house a nightclub for dancing and a huge bar with hundreds of different draft brews. The plan is to have live music, either instrumental or vocal, several nights each week as part of the nightclub experience. Our twins have been treated to a couple of their mom's vocal practice sessions; and it's one of the few times they both listen spellbound at her voice.