All Comments on 'March Madness'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
The_PedantThe_Pedantabout 6 years ago
Good stuff

A nice little story: even better, it was well written and literate.

More please!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Ending

It felt rushed at the end you could have done so many things but it just ended

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Geography?

Lynchburg is on 29, but 60 or so miles SOUTH of Charlottesville. Kind of hard to figure why they'd go there on the way back to Maryland.

Oh, and Lee was not opposed to slavery. He owned slaves and apparently treated them fairly harshly, but it is fair to say that it wasn't a major issue for him.

trigudistrigudisabout 6 years agoAuthor
Geography

You're right. Unfortunately they went the wrong way out of Charlottesville and drove to Lynchburg when they should have gone north.

The accounts I've read stated that Lee was against slavery, even though, like Jefferson, he owned slaves. Both thought slavery was a necessary evil.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Lee

Lee was a lot like Jefferson, seeing slavery as a necessary evil and black people as a lower priority than white. So no different really from the rest of us who prioritize what evils we are ready to act on.

Problem is that he also acted evilly. His father-in-law's will instructed Lee to free the father-in-law's slaves, but he didn't do it, and there are accounts of severe whippings carried out at Lee's orders and in his presence.

trigudistrigudisabout 6 years agoAuthor
Art imitates life. Or, is it the other way around?

A recent Time Magazine article reports that a group of Hofstra College (New York) students are demanding that a statue of Thomas Jefferson on campus be removed because he owned hundreds of slaves. Recall in my story the discussion on this issue between Lindie and Wyatt as they drove toward Monticello.

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 6 years ago
Felt good

It was definitely a feel-good story. I don't usually worry about the realism of the stuff I read on Literotica, but when I feel connected I do like it to fit the real world. I also have an IQ in the mid 130's and don't really like to socialize with the under 120 set. If that makes me a snob, so be it. And there are no greater snobs in this world than Mensa members. First of all (unless they've changed the rules recently) you have to have a minimum of 140 IQ to be eligible for membership. Mid 130's won't do it. I don't think our two lovers will make it in the long run - too much of an intellectual disparity. But that aside it was nice to see two people hit it off, face adversity together and make a match. Many decades ago when I was first in the dating game there were many examples of bright, successful men marrying attractive, reasonably intelligent women (doctors and nurses, lawyers and their legal secretaries, etc - not talking about trophy wives), but I don't think that works too well anymore. Try reading Charles Murray's "Coming Apart" to see how people who don't match up intellectually, socially or financially don't even live in the same neighborhoods anymore, let alone marry. It's a highly polarized world on many levels. 4*

trigudistrigudisabout 6 years agoAuthor
To Overcritical

Thanks for your comments.

The IQ cutoff for membership in MENSA is still 132 on most standard IQ tests including the Stanford-Binet and WAIS. An IQ of 148 is required for the Cattell. Lindie Nicholson's IQ in my story was in the high 130s, which is a little better than the 2 percentile. You might be right about Mensan's being snobs. Years ago, a friend of mine attended one of their meetings (she scored 137 on an IQ test) and was put off by these people "who were so full of themselves," she complained. Of course, there's always exceptions, Lindie being one of them.

I never met a high IQ person I couldn't engage in conversation, including my first wife who came in at 155! Far from being a snob, she felt humble about her super high intelligence. As you know, people with high IQs aren't necessarily intellectuals, nor is their general fund of knowledge (not all of them excel in Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit) always higher than us average cognitive mortals. Their strength lies in what IQ tests measure - abstract reasoning, problem solving, analysis, and speed of learning.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
What an ass!

You would think that if he had an IQ of over 130 that Overcritical would know that his name is grammatically incorrect. To make “over” an adjective, one needs to add an “ly” and hence the correct name would be “overlycritical.” As it is, his name means above or on top of critical, which, of course, makes no sense at all.

He seems to delight in writing snarky and rude remarks and now he brags about his IQ. Funny how he hasn’t contributed one single story for the rest of us to critique.

His dithering remarks remind me of the old saying: “Those who can’t do, teach. And those who can’t teach, administrate.” I’ll add an additional phrase: Those who can’t write, become critics.

So, trigudis, he gave you four stars. Consider yourself lucky. Usually he dispenses three stars like candy, at least it seems that way more recently.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Another great read

A really fun read and enjoyed it very much. You are a talented writer

and hope you will continue to provide more entertaining stories. Having lived

in both Maryland and Virginia, I can really identify with your work.

KingCuddleKingCuddlealmost 4 years ago
I attended a Mensa cocktail party at my neighbor's home.

Not one fun person there.

(Except me.)

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Meh, not your best. I don't like how it ended, felt like it was in the middle of the story. Otherwise I like the way the relationship was developing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
728 Followers
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...