Marcus of Duros Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lugging the packages inside he began to sift through the massive pile of purchases. Chloe's dresses, assorted toiletries, and orchids he left in their bedroom, figuring she would sort through them later. Her bookcase he gave special consideration to. His own case where he kept his books sat in the living room by his favorite reclining chair. He eased her heavy bookcase over to sit next to his, chuckling at how Chloe's dwarfed his own. He had never been a big reader, the books in his case numbering only 23, while Chloe's massive case contained nearly 40 volumes. Coming out of the kitchen, evidently finished with the food, Chloe came over to where Marcus was adjusting the cases.

"Oh Marcus when did you get that lovely bookcase? I wasn't sure where we were going to put them all I got so carried away." She smiled sheepishly at him.

Marcus was impressed with the boys' find. Her bookcase was made of beautiful polished Tigerwood from the jungles inland. It was comprised of two shelves, sitting about a meter tall from the ground to the top, with elaborate woodworking on the corners and across the flat top.

"Well, I thought I would surprise you. I had some boys go buy get a bookcase and bring it back with your books we bought before we got home so I could set it up without you suspecting."

"Well it's lovely, thank you Marcus." She said appreciatively, going up on tip toe and kissing his cheek softly.

As he lowered his face to hers, turning to kiss her lips, a knock at the door interrupted them.

"Hmphh." Marcus huffed, irritated that their moment had been interrupted.

Walking into the foyer he opened the door. A nervous young Legionnaire stood at attention. One of the newest in the Battalion he had only just been assigned to Marcus's command in time for the South African campaign. Marcus thought he remembered his name as Peterson.

"Commander, sir!" Peterson intoned nervously.

"Yes Peterson? What can I do for you?" Marcus asked pleasantly, attempting to put the young man at ease.

"Captain Jarrod sent me to ask if you would allow your captains to join you for dinner tonight. The orders have just come through." The young man seemed surprised that Marcus knew his name, but his astonishment faded quickly, along with most of his nervousness.

"Of course they can, tell them to come by at seven. And tell Philips, Anastasi, and Krieger to bring their wives."

"Of course sir, by your leave." Peterson answered, waiting for his dismissal.

Waving his hand lazily, Marcus sent Peterson on his way. As he closed the door and turned back into the living room Chloe stood up from where she had been rearranging her books on the shelves.

"Who was that?" She asked.

"One of my men, coming with word from my senior captain to see if my officers could come by for dinner to discuss the next campaign. Apparently the orders were dropped off at my office in the barracks."

"Oh well that will be nice. I haven't met any other soldiers besides you. What should I make for dinner?"

"I wouldn't worry about it. Three of my captains are married, and I'm sure their wives would love to help you in the kitchen. Usually when we get together to discuss Battalion business they like to socialize in there and make dinner for everyone. I'm guessing that they are going to want to get to know you, and I'm sure they already have a meal planed. The only question will be if we have the right ingredients." Marcus said, smiling at her as he settled himself down on the couch lengthwise.

"Wait what are you doing Marcus? We only have an hour before they get here!"

"I know Chloe, there's plenty of time to take a quick rest before they come. After all, I was woken up rather early, if you recall." He said with a wink." If you want to join me I can move my nap to the bed."

"Oh no," Chloe responded quickly, "there's too much to do."

Marcus didn't end up sleeping at all, Chloe's endeavors to clean the already spotless the apartment eventually morphed into a full scale rearrangement of the kitchen and dining room. The occasional loud noises were punctuated by Chloe's nervous tittering about dishware, and their lack of matching place mats and napkins. Chuckling to himself he relaxed until the chronometer on the wall struck seven, and there was a crisp knock at the door.