Masters of Lavender Hill Mansion Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was gone for ten minutes, making Olivia and Lisa wonder if she was coming back. The door to the file storage finally opened and she came back out with an old envelope. She laid it on the counter and gently took out the papers inside.

"This is all I can find on your place. This says who owned it and sold it to your great-grandfather. It's been in your family ever since.'

She pulled the deed out and turned it so the girls could read it. Olivia scrolled her finger along the handwritten document and found the Masters name and then who had sold it to him and why. The land was held by a family named Lancaster and given as a wedding present for their daughter Victoria. It belonged to Livy's mother before the house was built, making their speculations on what haunted the house, fall back on her family again. They looked at the date of transaction and it was July 16,1881, the same day as Livy's birthday. Lisa was ready with pen and paper, jotting down names, dates and events.

With everything disclosed as much as they could find and have answered, they went back into the library and asked Annabelle if they could see older papers, back before the house was built and Victoria Lancaster's parents owned the property. Something somewhere in all the pages, would give them a clue or an idea to work on. Annabelle was excited to do more and shuffled back to the files again. She looked them up on the index on the cabinet and had the girls look along the top row for the corresponding numbers.

They pulled the volumes out one at a time and carried all three to the table. Lisa helped Annabelle put the ones back they had gone through and Annabelle was pleased they were so helpful. She was overjoyed that they wanted her to stay and answer questions she might be able to answer, Olivia pulling over a chair for her to sit on while they started going through the first book. It was back when Victoria would have been a young woman, somewhere in her late teens. They went through the headlines and news on each page and on one, there was a picture of two girls picking lavender on the property.

It said in the caption that the area had always been known for its abundance of lavender blooms and the Lancaster's would harvest the blooms and make sachets and soap. There was a small ad for them at the bottom of the page and Olivia took pictures of the page.

"I wonder if that's Victoria in the picture? If it is, I wonder who the other girl is? If it was her friend or not."

"I know from what my history of the area is, the Lancaster's worked the land as a family and had several families working for them. The land you have now, is a quarter of what used to be their farm. I guess that answers that question of who owned it before your people."

"So, I guess her parents gave her that parcel as a wedding gift to build their house on. I guess I'm part Lancaster too, then. Cool, this is so interesting. I have a lot of heritage here it seems. I always thought we were in the Toronto area all this time. Everyone I know and knew was from around there."

"So, Ollie, we need to know who owns all the rest of that land now."

"Why?"

"Might be one of your long, lost relatives that owns it and knows something."

"You're right, Lisa. Good thinking. I guess we go back next door to records and see who my neighbours are."

"Are you done with the books then? I was so enjoying this."

"Oh, no Annabelle, we still want to look at the books and ask you things, just, we have to go back again and look up the name on title."

"Wonderful. Lets see what else is next. It's been ages since I've looked at these things. I love history, it's so fascinating all the things that have gone on, even in a small place like this."

"Anything big happen here way back then?"

"Not really big, although there was one thing that made big news around the area."

"What was that, Annabelle?"

"A young woman disappeared. Went missing and was never found. Just up and vanished it seems."

"What? When did that happen?"

"Oh, can't be much further on in here, I think. Either this book or the next one."

Olivia carefully turned pages and neared the end when Annabelle pointed it out.

"There, that's the story there."

Olivia and Lisa began reading about the disappearance of Heather Monroe, an eighteen year old girl who was last seen in the lavender fields with her friend, Victoria Lancaster late in the day. Victoria came home by herself and reported her friend Heather had left to go home herself. Heather never arrived home and no one was seen in the area. Victoria was questioned extensively, but nothing gave any clues to what happened. A search was started and nothing was found in the fields or surrounding area to give any sign of foul play."

"How long did they search for?"

"Oh, a good while. They searched for miles around and all the police forces were working on it. Must have gone on for months before they called it off and gave up trying to find her here. Most believe she was kidnapped by someone and taken far away. No one really knows, so they just make up stories."

"I know. Ever since I got my place, everybody tells me about the ghost that haunts the place, but we haven't seen any ghosts, yet."

"Oh, might here it some time, Olivia."

"Why do you say that, Annabelle?"

"I heard it myself as a girl. We would go and sneak up to the place after it was closed down and sit about. All of us heard it. Clear as day it was the sound of a girl crying. It came from inside and scared us all half to death, so it did. We ran so fast and I never went back, but others did and they all said they heard things inside. I don't know, love, but I'd say there was a ghost, but it hasn't done anything, or made sounds?"

"No, not that we've heard."

"Well, maybe it got bored and left to some other place to haunt. I just know what I heard and all the others that have gone and heard things."

"Well, maybe you're right and it left. So, this girl and Victoria were friends and she disappeared and looking at the date, it was just around the time the captain came into the picture, according to the land transfer we seen. So the captain must have known Heather too, if he was dating Victoria."

"Well, he wouldn't be dating, he would have been courting her and asked for her hand. Back then, things weren't done like they are now."

"Yeah, you're right, so he was courting her and I guess she said yes and her parents gave them that land to build on. The area where the hill was at the back corner of their land."

"Yes. I remember they had a big to do when it was finished and they gave away soap and sachets and had a town party to celebrate. They were married soon after it was done and not long after, they had a baby."

"That would be Olivia."

"That's right."

"Wow, this is great stuff, Annabelle. I can't thank you enough for your help. Let us put all these back and get across the hall to the office again, before they close.'

"Oh, your both dears, thank you. It's been wonderful reminiscing with you. Hope you come back in soon, I did so enjoy this."

"Oh yes, we'll be back. I have lots of things to find out yet, but this is a great start. Thank you so much, Annabelle."

The friendly woman smiled and waved as they walked out the one door, across the hall and back into the records department. The young woman looked surprised at seeing them again and came back to the counter.

"Hi, what would you like this time?"

"Hi, I need to find out who owns the property around mine, Annabelle was telling us it was owned by the Lancaster's and I wondered if any of them were still there. I'm just learning my family history in the area and it's so fun finding out who is in my past here."

"Oh, that's so cool. Sure. I'm pretty sure there is a Lancaster around there somewhere, let me see the records, this will go faster on the computer."

She keyed in Lancaster and three came up that lived in town and she immediately discounted two as not possibles. One was black and the other had only moved in several years ago. The one she felt was it, she printed off the information and handed it to Olivia.

"I think this is who you're looking for. They've been here forever."

"That sounds like they would be the right ones. Thank you, Kimberly, you've been a big help. I can't thank you enough for your help."

"Oh, the name tag, right. Well, hey, yeah, you're welcome and I'm always here to help, being my job and all."

Kimberly blushed at her own humour and the girls fawned on her for being so sweet. They folded the paper and left with smiles and waves again and went to the car. Olivia went to start it and looked at Lisa.

"You want to go back now, or hang around here in town?"

Let's go to a diner, they have to have one of those places here, right? We can get a coffee and a sammie and look at some of this stuff and see if anything starts going together some how. It's got to. Something is there on that property making women do that and it all ties in to something in all this news stuff and family history."

"I know, just how. I'm still curious to know about Victoria's friend Heather that disappeared. That's really strange and again, it started on my property. That's the last place and time they saw her and she was with Victoria and then she goes home and Heather goes missing. Something's up with that and the truth hasn't been found out what really went on. How can some girl just go missing without any trace? There's always some trace of something to find. They said in the article that that they found nothing after a search of the area."

"Yeah, you'd think if someone tried to kidnap her, she would be screaming and maybe her clothes get torn and stuff and some piece of it lying there. I might watch lots of shows, but a lot of that shit is real. So, either they did a shitty search, or someone knows something they aren't saying about her."

"Okay, let's go find a diner and have a coffee and something, damn, I'm famished."

"I know. It's just a constant drain on us and we could eat all day and never have enough to deal with that."

"Speaking of which, we better not be too long. I don't want to leave Chelsea alone too long in case whatever, decides to have another round of cum out of her."

"Yeah, but she needs to rest and get her strength back."

They drove down the main street and Lisa spotted a diner down a side street, called Josie's. They parked and sat side by side in a booth and ordered coffees and an egg salad sandwich each. Olivia got her phone and brought up the pictures of the place and they looked at them. The waitress brought their coffees and sandwiches and placed them down and glanced at the screen.

"Oh, the old haunted house out on third line, I know that place."

"You know this house?"

Olivia played it quiet, wanting to know what she knew about it from her perspective.

"Oh yeah. We used to go out and see if we heard the ghost in it."

"You really think there's a ghost in it?"

"Sure is, heard it myself a bunch of times. Lots of people have. My friend and I snuck in on a dare once and both of us will swear up and down something touched us."

"No. Something touched you? Touched you how?"

The waitress looked around and leaned in closer to whisper.

"It was like we were hugged by something and the really weird part..."

She looked around again and whispered even softer.

"What?"

"We could smell lavender all around us. We started feeling weird too, so we got out of there and we never went back in. Other people smelled it too, not just us. Anyway, yeah, that place is haunted, for sure."

"No kidding. So, who is it that haunts the place?"

"Oh, just a second, let me tend to my tables and I'll be back."

The waitress left and served a table and cleaned up another, slipping the tip in her apron and wiping the table clean. She came back over and leaned down on the table again to continue hushed talking.

"Where were we? Oh yeah, who haunts the place. Yeah, lots of people say it's the daughter of the captain and others say its the mother who fell down the stairs and died the year after the daughter did."

"How did the daughter die?"

"Most people don't really know, but my dad told me his dad knew the doctor that went out to see her and he said she slit her wrist and committed suicide. You know what else was weird about that? Her friend hung herself just two days before. My dad said the doctor was told to keep silent about it and not say anything, but he told my grandfather one night, sort of by mistake and let it slip out. Isn't that strange, both friends committing suicide days apart and no one knows why."

"That is strange. So you think it's the daughter, or the mother?"

"I think it's the daughter. Some of my friends said they heard crying in the cellar and it sounded like a girl, not a woman, so I'd go with the daughter."

"Wow, that's so sad. And then her mother the year after in a fall. That's so tragic. So, no one thinks it's the mother that haunts it, just the daughter?"

"Yeah, that's what everyone would agree on the most."

"That's incredible. That's so interesting. Imagine that, Lisa, a real haunted house. Thanks for sharing that. What's your name by the way?"

"Carolyn."

"Hi Carolyn, I'm Olivia and this is Lisa."

"Hi girls. Olivia, that's not a name you hear that often these days. In fact, the dead girl's name was Olivia, is that a coincidence, huh?"

"No kidding? Her name was Olivia. Go all this time and never hear of another woman called Olivia and now I find one but she's dead."

"You're not from around here, are you?"

"No, were from Toronto, just up for a visit."

"Oh nice, are you staying?"

"No, have to go soon actually, thought we'd stop in for a bite before we left. Great sandwich by the way, very tasty."

"Glad you like them. Make them the same way for over forty years now. I'll just leave the bill and you pay at the register on the way out. Glad you liked our little town, hope you come back soon."

"Sure will. Worth the drive up."

"Thanks for everything, Carolyn. That was so interesting."

"You're welcome. You girls have a nice drive back."

Carolyn went and attended her tables, while the girls whispered thoughts on what they just learned.

"That explains why there was nothing in the paper about the girls. Seems they did a hush job on it so no one really knew and wouldn't ask questions. I wonder why though? Why wasn't it said what happened to them? They wrote about all kinds of minor stuff that was far less important, yet nothing more was written about Livy and Josie, than obit notices."

"I know, that's just fucked up. Even for back then."

"Yeah. Okay, we better get back now. No telling what's been happening since we've been gone."

"Yeah. We did pretty good though for what we did get. We have a possible relative to check out and we know what was going on with the land before the house was built."

"Yeah, and we know more about Livy's mom and her friend now."

"I'm starting to think Livy's mom has something to do with all this. I mean, I'm not sure how, but her mom seems to always be involved in some way, doesn't she?"

"Now that you mention it, yeah, she does seem to be a key player in all of this. Her family owned the land and it was her friend that disappeared not long before she got married to Captain Masters. Then everything seems cool and she catches Livy and Josie going at it and loses it on them totally. Like, beating someone with a riding crop is fucking painful and she did it to her own daughter, even after she was told not to by her husband. She sounds like a bit of a psycho, doesn't she?"

"A bit. I know things were different then the way they punished kids and stuff, but yeah, a crop is a bit much and hitting her everywhere must have been terrible."

"Yeah, the ass is bad enough, but legs, chest, back, arms and shit, that's just way too much."

"No shit, too much. I guess sitting down and explaining the facts of life to them and telling them about what they were doing was wrong, wasn't in the equation."

Olivia took her eyes off the road and looked at Lisa after what she said.

"You think what they were doing was wrong?"

"What? No, it wasn't wrong, I mean, to her mother it was wrong and stuff and the times they were in it was wrong."

"So, women weren't allowed to love other women until when, then?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You said, it was wrong for the time they were in. When did it become right?"

"What? No, it's always been okay for women to love other women, it's just, well, no one wants them to. Now or then."

"So, it's okay, but it's not okay, I don't get it?"

"I don't know how to explain it, Ollie, I'm not some behavioural psychologist or something, I'm just saying two people can love each other, no matter who they are, just society likes to see normal couples. We've had gay marriages here for years now and I still think it's weird to see same sex marriages done like traditional ones. Two grooms, or two brides, just doesn't work the same. They should have like a new way for them to marry so it's not so strange looking. I mean, I love that they're getting together, that's not what I'm saying, it's just, it's odd to see it, when it's a man and woman thing from the beginning and trying to conform to a normal way of getting married, it just seems out of place."

"Okay, I get where you're going with it. So, all I'm saying is, even back then, two women couldn't love each other, unless it was some dark secret they kept, or like in the movies, one of them looked like a guy some how and passed herself off as one. So, what if, this whole lesbian thing that's going on, has been going on long before the house was even built."

"What do you mean?"

"Okay, let's put it together, follow along with this and see if I have it straight. The whole thing was owned by the Lancaster family, right? They had people working for them in the lavender fields and making all the stuff out of it. One of those families had a girl named Heather, that was best friends with Victoria. They were together all the time and then all of a sudden, right before Victoria is supposed to marry Captain Masters, Heather disappears and is never seen or heard from again. Everything seems fine and okay, until Livy and Josie turn eighteen and then they have this uncontrollable desire to make out with each other every chance they get, but it seems it's only when they're at my place that it happens. Mom does the freak out thing on the girls when she catches them and acts cold about Josie hanging herself and freaks over Livy slashing her wrist. Totally different reaction and then does the cursing thing on her to boot. One year later, she's tumbling down the stairs dead and all the haunting stuff starts and even Annabelle said she heard the ghost inside and then Carolyn at the diner said her and a friend smelled lavender and got hugged by Livy. So, this lesbian thing could have started long ago with Victoria and Heather and that's why she went ballistic on them, because it reminded her of something that happened to her."

"Wow, that's joining a lot of dots. So, you think her mom was having some kind of lesbian action going on with Heather and something happened to Heather because of it?"

"I'm not saying they did or didn't, just what if. Doesn't it make sense in a way if they did? I mean, we know something is doing this lesbian thing on us, we know that. So, we know it's not Livy or Josie, it starts before them and the land was owned by Victoria's parents and she had a friend that suddenly disappears. There's something that puts this together and that's what we need to find out at the Lancaster's place. I say we just stop and see how Chelsea is and if the girls have settled down yet, then go over and drop in on them. I just want to say hello and introduce myself and meet my relatives. If they're willing to share some info on all of this, hey, no harm in that, right?"