Midnight Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dr Murtaugh raised his hand for silence until the voices died down. Then he said, "On behalf of myself and Dr Lloyd, head of Earth Sciences at York," he indicated the man stood next to him, "I'd like to thank Dr Smethwick and Miss Mwenye for a fascinating and illuminating presentation. If you have a question, please raise your hand and we'll nominate. Thank you."

The room was immediately a sea of raised arms. Nathan nominated and answered the questions as best he could, most of which were very technical in nature, and I'll be honest, if Erica had been there speaking Klingon to me, I would have had more chance of understanding.

But none of them fazed my Nathan. However one question did make my ear prick up. Someone asked, "Why Midnight?"

Dr Murtaugh agreed, "Actually, yes Dr Smethwick. Why did you name the specimen, Hylaeosaurus Mediam?"

Nathan had the decency to blush as he answered, "Well, I named Alice after her discoverer. Miss Mwenye's first name is Usiku Wa Manane, which is Swahili for midnight. I just thought it fitting that as Miss Mwenye found Alice, if it's confirmed that she is a new sub species, it should be named after her."

There was general laughter in the room at that. More I suspect for the expression on my face than anything else.

Nathan looked at me somewhat shamefacedly, "Sorry, Midnight. This isn't how I meant you to find out."

My beaming smile told him he wasn't in trouble.

Once the questions were all done, Dr Lloyd then spoke, "Right, it seems that we have a great deal of work ahead of us. I'll stay behind for a meeting with Dr Murtaugh and Dr Smethwick. I'd like all heads of department to start working up plans of action and I'd like them on my desk no later than the day after tomorrow."

Dr Murtaugh then said, "The same for my people too please. I think that's us done here for now. Thank you very much ladies and gents."

The room emptied rapidly amidst a buzz of excitement leaving just us four on the stage. Dr Murtaugh said, "I think we should discuss this back at my office," he looked at me, "Manni, normally I'd get my secretary to take notes, but I think it would be wise if you did this time, since you're already in the loop. That's if Dr Smethwick doesn't mind."

Nathan grinned, "Of course not. Actually I was going to insist she sat in anyway."

Dr Murtaugh led us back to his office. As we chatted on the way, I heard him chuckle and I knew why. Without thinking about it, Nathan had taken my hand in his and held it all the way back to the Earth Sciences building.

Nathan and I arrived back at the Hanged Man at about nine o'clock that night and met up with Diana in the bar. We quickly filled her in on the meeting that we'd had with Dr's Murtaugh and Lloyd.

Then we had a drink or two and retired to bed. And before you ask. Yes. There was screaming involved.

Back at the dig site, the next day. I finally reached the point where I had to stop digging Alice out.

Just before lunch, a van arrived carrying a couple of faces I recognised, but couldn't name.

They calmly took over the retrieval of Alice. Taking the bones one at a time and placing them carefully in ziploc bags with sticky labels attached, which were then scribbled on with details of the bone it contained, the date, time and a reference number.

Each bone was placed in a crate that they had brought with them and surrounded with polystyrene packing as they were packed.

I must admit, I was sad to see her go. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend. Nathan must have picked up on my mood, because he threw an arm around my shoulders and said, "You'll see her again. They're taking her to Hull for the full examination."

I sighed, "I know. It just feels strange," I looked at him, "You'll probably think I'm being silly. But this is her home. This is where she belongs. Not on an examination table at Hull University."

Nathan smiled, "No. It's not silly... Come on, let them do their job. We've got other things to do."

The remainder of our day was spent on the phone or computer dealing with the initial organisation of what was going to be a very large operation indeed.

To be honest, at the time, we had no idea just how much of an impact this place would have on our lives.

Over the next few days, most of our time was taken up with visits from people who had been informed of the find, from personnel from both Hull and York who needed to have a look at the place to people from the Museums in London as well as the British Palaeontological Society.

We also received confirmation from the lab that Alice was indeed the first Hylaeosaurus Mediam to be discovered and that the naming committee had agreed the name... Nathan got it BIG TIME that night!

Then the portacabins started arriving. We had offices, labs, accommodation, a field kitchen and even a toilet and shower facility. They were delivered on the backs of low loaders and lifted into place by a huge crane. They were arranged in a U shape around the edges of the area we had designated the car park. Then, the camp was plumbed in to the water and electricity mains.

The tents that we had set up were struck and we took over some of the office and lab space in the portacabins.

I'll be honest, I wasn't enamoured about using the accommodation because it was ­ at best ­ basic. But Nathan assured me, that we would continue to live at the Hanged Man when we spent time here.

Yes I know! Having spent time living at Orchard Park and a stint on the streets, I should know better than to turn my nose up. But Nathan had spoiled me a bit. It's not an excuse, it's a reason. Anyway I make no apologies for it. Call it a character flaw on my part if you must... I really couldn't give a fuck!

Roughing it? Been there, done that. Once is enough and I'm never doing it again. Not if I can help it.

Anyway, the place became a hive of activity, most of which I didn't understand, so I spent most of my time smiling, nodding and trying not to get under people's feet.

Then the press conference was called. I had expected Nathan to play a part, but he opted to allow Dr Murtaugh and Dr Lloyd to handle it. Whilst he felt able to deal with his fellow professionals, he baulked at talking to the press.

Well, what can I tell you? We made international news... Briefly

And our names and faces were plastered all over the national news as well. I must say, it's the most bizarre feeling to know that millions of people around the world know your name.

We also go many requests from universities and museums around the world for a view and possibly the opportunity to send their own teams to help at the site. Dealing with that became almost a full time job on its own.

Whilst Hull and York would always have first pick, it was decided for political reasons that it might be wise to open up the site to other institutions. Access was limited as we didn't want the world and his wife trampling all over the place.

Another problem that reared its ugly head was amateurs turning up. Don't get me wrong, I am no snob when it comes to amateurs... I couldn't be! The problem was that they would often do a great deal of damage. One bloke was found trying to dig out the skull of a Baronyx that had been found in the north western corner of the scar.

Point one: He was hacking at it with a pickaxe.

Point two: How he expected to fuck off with it is beyond me. The skull was over four feet long!

The upshot was that we had to engage a security firm to patrol the dig site and keep the fossil hunters at bay.

Big as this all was though, it wasn't our whole life. Nathan still had his duties at the University as well as Cheddar Gorge and one or two sites around the word that he really didn't want to give up.

Allison and Luke were soon to leave us as well. Both of them were nearing the end of their studies and had to write their doctoral theses. And I... Was doing what I did to look after Nathan.

I must admit, after the excitement of the initial find, Drydenthorpe was becoming less and less the fun that it had been and I was rather glad to start getting back to some sort of normality.

Not least of which was the exercise we enjoyed in our bed at home. It had a memory foam mattress and was much more comfortable for bedroom athletics than the rooms at the Hanged Man. Like I said, I was getting used to the creature comforts.

So, life went on, but now with much more screaming on my part.

So that was pretty much it for the next few months. At least for Nathan and I. One bittersweet moment was attending Allison and Luke's graduation ceremony where they received their diplomas. Sweet because they had both completed seven long years of hard work to acheive their aim, and bitter because it meant they were moving on.

Luke had been shortlisted for a place at the Palaeontology department of the British Museum, whilst Allison had been offered a research position at Essex University. More than a few tears were shed that day, I can tell you.

Oh, Nathan had other students to mentor over the years, but only Allison and Luke formed such a deep bond with us whilst they were here.

I passed my A Levels, and now had to seriously consider taking on a degree in Archaeology. I had time. After all, Nathan had assured me that should I want it, a place would be found for me at Hull. Nepotism is a wonderful thing.

Also, Erica finally gave birth to a bouncing baby boy. They named him David, but as far as I'm aware, he was always called Davie. Her pregnancy was not a happy time for Erica, she had health issues from the beginning and it didn't help that her baby was huge. Far too big for her to give birth normally, so a Caesarean was on the cards to welcome Davie Hardcastle (10lb 9oz) into the world.

Alan point blank refused to put Erica through that again, and had the snip. They were not fated to be the parents of a rugby team after all.

We went to visit Erica in hospital and to present Davie with a giant teddy bear. Just looking at him in the bassinet by Erica's bed, his parentage could never be in doubt. He had blond hair and emerald green eyes, courtesy of his Mum and he was the size of a fucking grizzly bear, just like his Dad.

The same Alan who was terrified to pick him up in case Davie got broken in his huge hands.

Anyway, after a few long discussions with, and encouragement from Nathan. I decided that I would sign up for the degree course in Archaeology. I hadn't planned on going on any digs, but Nathan thought I should go on at least a couple for the experience more than anything else.

I must admit, I actually did want to go out to a dig or two if I was being brutally honest. Finding Alice had been one of the best things I had ever done and I was eager to repeat the experience.

Nathan told me that he could get me a six week slot at the Neolithic Settlement in Cheddar Gorge over the summer, and I would definitely be welcome at Drydenthorpe if I wanted to go there as a student, rather than as an administrator.

Sorted!

But we had a couple of blips to deal with before my courses started. The first one in particular left a bitter taste in my mouth.

We were working away in the office, when Nathan received a letter from Human Resources. It seemed that he had been accused of racism and had to face a disciplinary hearing. Nobody in the department from Dr Murtaugh down to Paula could understand it.

Neither could I.

Of all the people in Hull, let alone the University, Nathan Smethwick would be the last you could call a racist for one simple reason... Me!

Dr Murtaugh tried to find out what the charges were, but was firmly rebuffed by HR as the matter was in strictest confidence and nobody was allowed any details. Including Nathan. Yes you heard me. He had to face accusations of racism, but was not allowed to know any of the details until he faced the board of enquiry. The only information we had was the the charge had been laid by a Professor Deaks, who worked in the Social Sciences department.

I must admit, the term Social Sciences is one that Nathan hated. He would insist that any sentence with the word 'social' followed by the word 'science' was worthless and oxymoronic... well, maybe even Nathan had some prejudices.

As the day of the hearing approached, Nathan got more and more unsettled. He was upset that he could be branded a racist, especially as such things can have a deleterious affect on a career, even if unfounded. Once or twice I found him sat at his desk, staring into space whilst tapping the heels of his hands together. Clearly racking his brains for any transgression he may have made.

That's the thing about this sort of accusation. Political correctness shares something with Health and Safety at Work regulations, that is unlike any other part of British law, and that is, you are guilty until proven innocent.

S'true.

If you find yourself stretched out over the altar of either one, you can assume that your goose is not just cooked, but cremated... And under normal circumstances there is pretty much fuck all you can do about it!

We didn't have sex that night. I merely dragged him off to bed and held him until he fell asleep. It had been days since I had seen his half smile that I loved so much and his eyes seemed dull and lifeless.

I was getting angry.

The first thing I did was go straight to the horse's mouth to find out about this Professor Deaks character. By horse's mouth, I mean of course Paula, Gossip Queen of Hull Uni, or Chairwoman of the Nag's Network as I called her. She liked that so much, she let it be known to her friends that the Nag's Network was now a thing.

Anyway, I'm getting side tracked. Paula was able to tell me that Professor Deaks was a liberal and so politically correct, the term Loonie Leftie could have been invented for him. Determined to root out sexism, racism and intolerance wherever he found it and if he couldn't find it, it was claimed that he would invent it. Apparently, he had left his last position at Warwick under something of a cloud, but try as she might, even Paula couldn't get any details.

The day of the hearing arrived, so I accompanied Nathan. Although public access was allowed, it was discouraged quite heavily. Sadly for them, a pack of rabid hyenas couldn't have kept me out of there!

It was held in one of the smaller meeting rooms. When we arrived, we found three members of the HR department sat along one side of the meeting table, with the cursed Professor Deaks sat at one end. Nathan was asked to sit facing the committee and I was required to sit in a chair near the door.

The hearing was called officially to order by the chairman and then Professor Deaks laid out the charge. When I heard it, my mouth fell open. Apparently, someone had complained on my behalf, at the use of racist language by Dr Smethwick against his executive assistant, Miss Manni Mwenye. To wit, calling me Midnight. Which was clearly a reference to the colour of my skin.

Professor Deaks was like a machine, he shot question after question at Nathan, interrupting with more questions so that Nathan was given no real opportunity to answer one before the next was spat at him.

Professor Deaks was clearly an expert at this sort of badgering, whilst Nathan was not. My man simply couldn't defend himself effectively against the spite and vitriol that Deaks was pouring all over him.

More than once, the chairman had to rein Deaks in, but it wasn't helping Nathan's case. I could see that the other two members of the board were busily scribbling notes as Deaks scored point after vile point against Nathan.

He was even insisting upon official censure, removal from his position in Earth Sciences and possible criminal charges... Before Nathan had even been found guilty of anything!

I couldn't listen to another word. I was beyond angry... I was fucking furious!

Jumping to my feet, I approached the table and stood next to Nathan as he sat in his chair, I said through clenched teeth, "I would like to address this board, if I may."

The chairman said, "Well, it's highly irregular for­"

I cut him off, "Seeing as this board was convened to investigate a complaint against Dr Smethwick on my behalf, I think it's not unreasonable that I be allowed to speak. Do you? Especially as the one person you might expect to have some input... Me... Wasn't even asked for my opinion at all!"

The three panel members had a brief whispered conversation and then the chairman addressed me again, "Okay, Miss Mwenye, you have the floor."

I took a deep breath and tried to reduce my blood pressure before I looked at Professor Deaks, then asked him, "Tell me please. What's my name?"

He looked confused, looked down at his paperwork and answered, "Why it's Manni Mwenye, of course."

"Wrong! My name is Usiku Wa Manane Mwenye... Do you know what it means?"

Again, he looked at a loss for words, so I continued, "It's Swahili, it means midnight."

I let that sink in for a moment and then said, "Yes, it's Usiku Wa Manane, but that's a bit of a mouthful, so I normally go by Manni. Tell me, Professor Deaks, why is it that you didn't bother to find out what my name means, or even find out what my name actually is, before you started these proceedings?"

He spluttered, "But he calls you Midnight which clearly could be construed as a racial slur."

I glanced at Nathan who had remained silent and was looking down at his hands. Then I directed my attention back to the board members, "I find it strange that someone who decides to speak for me without my knowledge or consent, doesn't bother to check any of his facts, before bringing a potentially damaging charge against a colleague. So I call into question your fitness to remain on the faculty yourself, Professor Deaks."

He jumped up and shouted, "HOW DARE YOU!"

I shouted back, "I'LL TELL YOU HOW I FUCKING DARE!"

The chairman banged his gavel and said, "I'll remind you both that this is a formal enquiry and I expect all parties to act accordingly. Professor Deaks, you will refrain from shouting please," he waved at me,"And if I could ask you to mind your language please, Miss Mwenye."

I smiled sweetly at him, "Of course. I'm sorry, but please, call me Manni. My friends call me Manni."

I gathered my thoughts, "The reason I called Professor Deaks' fitness into question was purely due to the fact, that he's guilty of failing to carry out the proper research before beginning these proceedings. Something I find amazing, considering the nature of where we all work."

I glanced around the board and noticed more than one head nodding slightly, "Also, there is no charge of racism to face anyway. I allow Dr Smethwick to call me Midnight, after all, he is only calling me by my name."

Professor Deaks piped up, "So, Midnight, you say that­"

I held up a hand, "I'll stop you there! Not only do you fail to do the proper research, you don't listen either! I said, I allow Dr Smethwick to call me Midnight. My friends all call me Manni," I gave him the evil eye, "You may address me as Miss Mwenye."

I swear to God, I've never seen someone go purple in the face before. I noticed the chairman hide a smile. Then Professor Deaks spoke again, "So why, Miss Mwenye, do you allow Dr Smethwick to call you by such a contentious name?"

Honestly! How could someone so intelligent be so fucking dense?

"My reasons are my own and are deeply personal to me. I see no need to share them with you. Besides, who are you to decide how two people in a committed relationship address each other? Well?"

I placed my hand on Nathan's shoulder, he looked up at me and I smouldered, "Honky Studmuffin."

He blushed furiously and stared at his hands clasped together on his lap.

I scowled at Deaks, "Am I a racist now? Are you going to convene a board of enquiry against me?"