Midnight Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaĀ® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I heard Nathan shout, "THIS IS THE LAST STRAW!", as he came storming after me and took my arm, "Come on Midnight. We're leaving!"

He led me upstairs to collect our bags and her voice followed us, "If you walk out of this house, you needn't bother coming back!"

He shouted over his shoulder, "I have no intention of coming back!"

"I'll cut you off! You won't be able to rely on your allowance any more!"

Nathan stopped in his tracks and turned to face his mother who was now stood at the bottom of the stairs. He said in low, menacing tones, "It's all about the bottom line with you, isn't it? For your information, Mother, I've never even used your allowance. It goes straight into a savings account that I don't touch! If you really want to know, every penny I've ever spent since I started working is money that I earned. I am very well paid for what I do. But don't worry, as soon as I get home, I'll speak to the accountants and arrange for your precious cash to be returned to you!"

He took my hand again and said in a gentle voice, "Come on, Midnight."

Once in the bedroom, we grabbed our cases and started throwing clothes rapidly into them. Still crying I said, "I'm sorry Nathan. I'm so sorry my Love. I didn't mean to cause all this trouble."

I couldn't help it, I collapsed to the floor sobbing. Nathan dropped down next to me and gathered me in his arms, "Midnight, you didn't cause anything. She did! I'm just sorry you had to see it. She's been like this ever since Dad died, but I didn't realise just how bad she's become."

I sobbed, "I don't want to come between you and your mum... I lost mine... I don't want you to lose yours as well."

He replied sadly, "If this is what she's turned into, I've already lost her," he kissed me on the forehead, "Come on. we'll finish packing and go."

As we filled our cases I could hear voices arguing downstairs, they were getting steadily louder until I heard Philippa scream, "Are you happy now? You've finally done it! You've driven him away for good this time, you poisonous old bitch!"

More shouting ensued as the two women headed back into the dining room slamming the door behind them.

We completed our packing and made our way downstairs to the front door, the dining room door flew open and Philippa came running through it in floods of tears and raced up the stairs, closely followed by Hattie crying, "Philippa come back! I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that!"

She saw us at the front door and reached out tearfully, "Nathan, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. Please don't go. I'm sorry," Hattie hugged him fiercely and sobbed, "Please don't go!"

Nathan's voice was cold, "Give me one good reason why not!"

She gazed at him tearfully, "Because I'm sorry... We need to talk... Please!"

"Are you actually going to listen this time?"

"Yes, I promise."

Nathan hefted his suitcase and rested his hand on the door handle, "I've heard your promises before, Mum."

I hadn't heard her, but Philippa had come back downstairs and was now stood behind me. I jumped slightly when she sniffed back tears and said, "Mum, you and Nathan really need to deal with it this time," she directed her baleful gaze to Hattie and continued coldly, "Three people heard you make a promise, so you'd better fucking keep it this time!"

Hattie looked down, unable to meet anyone's eyes, "I will, I prĀ­," looking towards Nathan, but still unable to meet his eye, she said quietly, "I promise. We can talk in the lounge, Nathan."

Then she left us and went back into the lounge, leaving the door open behind her. Philippa said, "I'll help Manni unpack and then we'll head out to the garden."

She grabbed Nathan's case off him and trotted back upstairs. Nathan kissed me gently and said, "I suppose I should at least hear what she has to say. You unpack, if it doesn't work out, we can still leave later. Okay?"

I nodded, "I didn't mean for any of this, my Love."

He kissed me again and gave me a hug, "It's not your fault. This as been building up for a long time. It just happened to blow up now... Okay, go and unpack and I'll talk to Mum."

Then he entered the lounge, closing the door behind him. I sighed heavily and then followed Philippa upstairs to unpack my suitcase.

END OF CHAPTER NINE