All Comments on 'Midsummer Nights'

by Halin24

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
Northpacific2017Northpacific2017over 6 years ago
Thank you

Thank you, for your efforts, I found your tale very moving and loving. I love the fairies,

North

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 6 years ago
Huh???

These Romance stories usually give me some insight into how people treat others as they explore romantic situations. How do they go about handling their world as they fall in love (or not), how they progress as people together rather than people alone. This story doesn't tell me any of that. It's pure fantasy; not about people but about - would you believe - fairies. This tells me nothing about how people interact and doesn't allow me to insert myself into their roles and enjoy their romance. This is just childish game-playing and not worthy of our time or patience. I gave it a 3* because ilt was well written and constructed even if meaningless. Of course, I realize that without the insertion of Puck the elder, this story would have almost no worthwhile content at all. Maybe the 3* was too generous.

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
I loved the playfulness of the story

I wish you had chosen a different name for Puck. ie Orla or Frida maybe.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 6 years ago
Gran historia

Great history and very good environmental location.

Particularly in my youth I had many friends from Sweden and they taught me their traditions (in fact, I still remember some of the language, unfortunately not too much, but it's been more than 40 years since I stopped talking about it).

@rightbank

I love the name of Puck, you have to keep in mind that it comes from Shakespeare's work "A Midsummer Night's Dream", so I think it's very accurate.

Very interesting has been the inclusion of Puck the sister of Katarina. She has expressed that they do not have sex, their relationships are more mental and spiritual, not physical and yet she gets involved with both lovers to know what it feels like to have sex. A bit cruel the part of the mother of Katarina, as much for the abuse suffered as the abandonment of its daughter with the abusive father. It has also been a little cruel that being unable to reunite with her daughter more often, everything seems to be channeled through the sister.

Well, I guess the story should be like this.

Two positive things I have achieved, read this story and find an author to add to my favorites

Skål!

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet and forever), isn't my native language.

PS:

Finns Spies resebyrå fortfarande?

Halin24Halin24over 6 years agoAuthor
Reply from the author

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it even when it's (over)critical.

I basically write for two reasons: for the joy of exploring a fantasy world (even when it is close to the real one) and to keep my English alive (I'm Swedish but the modern society seems to get more 'Americanized' for every day).

As a comment to 'Overcritical': I write what I would like to read (with the limitation of my own ability of course). Therefore it comes as no surprise that You (and surely others too) don't like it. That's okay with me, it would be a boring world if we all had the same likes and dislikes.

'Rightbank': I guess I can understand your point about the name Puck but there are reasons. First of all, as is suggested in the story itself and also in 'TheOldRomantic's comment, there is a connection to Shakespeare. However, the main reason why I used Puck (it isn't really a Swedish name after all) is a character in crime novells by Maria Lang, a Swedish author.

In several of her novells Puck is an ordinary woman with an extraordinary 'talent' to get mixed up in murder mysteries. I have to admit that I fell in love with the character from the beginning and have been on the lookout for a real Puck ever since. I haven't found her though...

It was from the comparisons made in those novells between the Puck character and the Shakespeare Puck that I first came into contact with Shakespeare, believe it or not.

TheOldRomantic: I see you still know a bit of Swedish! To answer your question, no. Spies travel agency is no longer active in Sweden since it was taken over years ago. As I understand it, it still exists elsewhere though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Different but good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Dreams, fairies or reality?

Nice story, I liked the folklore. This story is somewhere between the Romance and Non-human categories, perhaps because folklore can contain psychological insights? Feeling that one has been destined or meant to be with some-one is common enough (I hope like me you have experienced it). That the fairies brought you together is one way of explaining it. Dreams, fairies or reality, perhaps its all the same?

Halin24Halin24over 6 years agoAuthor
Reply from the author

Anonymous: Thank you both! I'm very pleased to see that the whole point of the story got through to at least someone. Yes, I thought about posting in Non-human but figured Romance was a better fit. Just like you say: what is the difference between a fantasy, a dream and reality, or for that matter a delusion?

For me, romance in real life has been an illusion, maybe even just that: a delusion. Then again, writing about it has its sweet moments too.

You just made my day!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wonderfully surprised

Never could I have thought that a midsummer nights story would be this amazing and interesting. Beautifully written, and with lovely characters.

Keep it up! :)

GironGironover 6 years ago
Kul med lite svenskt.

😃

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
If Overcritical didn’t like it...

Then you have a good story. Remember, those who can’t write end up being critics and he hasn’t contributed one single story.

You response to that jerk was far nicer than mine ever would have been.

I gave you 5* just to try and make up some ground from his 3*.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHalin24@Halin24
So, despite being two years late to my last prediction, i have finally submitted another story! Yeah, I know that I'm not reliable, not in any way, but i do try. With any luck there might be a few more available this decade, or the next...