Mirror Bound Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Come in,' I said, 'you must be tired and hungry, the guys are in the workshop, as soon as they've finished we're going to have dinner.' I led him into the workshop, where Lukas and Paul were still absorbed by their job, and called out: 'Look who's here!'

Paul looked up for a second, exclaimed: 'Jonathan! One second please, we'll be with you as soon as this stays together.'

Lukas never even looked up, but as soon as the job was done, he jumped Jonathan and crushed him to his chest. Then he did exactly what I did, he had to look up to Jonathan for he had indeed grown in two weeks, then held him at arm's length and observed: 'You're taller, and you look so healthy, you're almost fat!' Compared to Lukas, nearly everyone could be called fat, and Jonathan merely laughed happily to be so welcome.

Then Paul shook his hand, as guys do, and asked: 'Have you seen George and Frances yet?' Jonathan shook his head and replied: 'No, I came here straight away, my future is with you now.' But they just couldn't help it, a handshake was not enough, they had to hug too, Paul still taller and a lot broader, but Jonathan already handsome enough to break any girl's heart.

As Lukas and Paul busied themselves making dinner I took Jonathan upstairs to my apartment, to show him his living space. He wouldn't need to use the kitchen, he'd be eating with us of course, and he only had one bag with personal effects, so if he didn't mind I would keep my wardrobe there and some of my books.

I put clean sheets on the bed and cleared out one closet for his personal use, demonstrated the use of the shower and the privy, then took him back down for dinner. As we stood in front of the door to Paul's apartment I realized he had never seen it yet, it was always such fun to show people the Gothic palace for the first time.

And Jonathan did not disappoint in his reaction, he was as stunned as everyone I had ever seen, taking in the wonders of the actually rather small space.

Paul met him on the stairs to give him a personal tour, and I went into the kitchen to keep Lukas company. He was preparing one of his potato-feasts, very suitable for a young man who had travelled all day and who was undoubtedly very hungry.

As we sat down and dug in the food, Jonathan started the talking by telling about his reception at home and at his former patron's estate. Everyone had been over the moon to see him again, and he had been offered a good position on the estate, but as I had expected, he had politely refused, he knew he needed more challenge in his life and working magic was his life's dream which he had come back to fulfil

Two weeks at home had been a pleasant holiday, enjoying the nice weather, the good food and the interesting company of his parents' employer, the owner of the estate, who was intrigued with Jonathan's tale of black magic and heroism.

But after two weeks he started to get bored, wishing to get on with his studies, hoping to get answers to some questions he had worked up by the constant practising of the magics Paul had taught him.

Frankly, Jonathan seemed little interested in anything but magic, he just wanted to learn everything there was to know. Of course he admired the metalwork in Paul's apartment, but he didn't have the slightest need to do anything else with his life but practice magic.

With his story told, Jonathan was eager to hear how we had fared with Hermes, and Lukas told him how his father had slowly regained his health, and gone back through the portal a few days earlier, with the promise to return two weeks later to guide us to his world.

This was a shock to Jonathan, he had not expected his teacher and friends to go off to another world instead of continuing his teachings.

Paul said calmingly: 'Jonathan, we cannot do anything but take this trip, but I have thought of several alternatives for you. You can come with us, Lukas' world is based on magic, there will be plenty to learn there, though I cannot deny there will be some danger too, especially since you have not learned any offensive magics yet.

If you prefer to stay in the city and continue your studies, I have arranged with my parents that you can stay with them, they have a comfortable home where you can have your own room and do nothing but practice magic all day. They taught me, and they'll love teaching you, for you are just as talented and much more motivated to learn. My sister still lives with them, so you would not be the only young person there.

Or you could live here or with the Nomes' and let George and Tristan handle your education. They are of another tradition but I have a feeling you will not be limited by one tradition. They both know you and are eager to teach you.

We have a whole week left to decide what to do. In a way I think your education will be in all our hands anyway, for if I continue to teach you, you will pick up things from George and Tristan as well, and maybe even from Melissa's dad.

But whatever you decide, your education will not stop, you have years of learning ahead of you, don't worry.'

And in the following week it was clear that he was seriously considering his options, talking to George and Tristan, and visiting Paul's parents with us to get to know them.

Between finishing the commissions and inspecting sites, healing people in need, shopping with Sofia and working magic with Jonathan we were also fishing Lukas' brain for appropriate ways to dress, and other useful knowledge to prepare for our trip.

Unfortunately Lukas could tell us little about how magic functioned in his world, he had developed his skills here with us, he had never heard of ley-lines there, and he thought gods were more important than on our world. George knew some things Hermes had told him, but he had not thought of asking specifics, and anyway, Hermes was a god there so he had all the power and all the skills he needed at a given time.

With time moving quickly, we started packing, and planned one last visit, to my dad. But before we had found the time to cycle by his house, he visited us, alone.

Lukas was at home, but Jonathan was with the young crowd at the Nomes', the time he had spent with them had clearly formed a bond between them, and he loved to stay over for dinner with a little dancing afterwards.

I suspected Jonathan was not planning to come with us, he had had his share of adventures the last two years in the wasteland, he would probably elect to stay with the Nomes' and let George and Tristan handle his education for a few months, until Paul came back. But he had not told us anything officially yet, so we waited for him to tell us his decision.

Lukas let my dad in and took him straight into the house, of course taking the time to let him admire the interior first. Paul and I were pleasantly surprised to see him, we had been thinking of him but since we didn't know his work-schedule we were afraid to find my parents out.

We served him coffee and chocolates, and sat on the sofa together.

He took a good, long look at Lukas, and asked: 'So how is it going, my boy?' And Lukas didn't talk of trivialities, he just spoke plainly: 'All in all, Jakob, I'm doing rather well. It's still hard to keep a distance from everything I experience through others, but Melissa and Paul and George are very good at distracting me and keeping me sane.'

'Did I hear rightly that you are going to visit your home-world really soon? I ran into Tristan recently, he's asked me to sit on some new committee with nobles, and I thought it might benefit everyone involved if I did, so I said yes and spent some time on it, and afterwards, with him as well.'

Paul looked impressed, as was I, and Lukas answered the question: 'We are. Something has come up to make it important for me to go back there for a few months.'

'I suspect that will solve most of your current problems then, it'll do you a great deal of good, I'm sure. It's not for you that I've come, though I'm glad your dad's visit has brought you what I hoped it would.

The reason I came so shortly before your departure is that I need to talk to my son-in-law for a few minutes, alone. We did that just before your marriage ceremony on his instigation, and now I feel the need for a head-to-head. Will you oblige me, Paul?' My father looked at my beloved questioningly, and what could he do but nod and lead him to his workshop for a private chat?

It was very weird, but it was not as if he hadn't done weird things like this before without any warning or explanation up front.

Left behind, Lukas and I looked at one another helplessly. We hadn't shared love as often the last few days, we hadn't even spent much time together, George took up most of Lukas' time that didn't go into working or healing.

He held out his arms and I sat on his lap, my head resting against his chest, breathing in his musky scent, his arms wrapped around me and his face in my hair.

'We've been too busy,' Lukas said softly, 'things aren't right without your love.'

I knew I didn't need to say anything, he'd feel my response right through his new shields, and we sat together, silently, until Paul came back looking far from happy. I got up and wrapped my arms around him, and he held me tightly, then said: 'Your father wants to see you too, he's in the workshop.'

I waited for him to tell me why he was so affected, but he merely repeated: 'You're father wants to talk to you, better go see him.'

Feeling rebuffed, I walked away towards the stairs, and as I climbed it slowly I looked back into the living area. I saw Lukas still on the sofa, but with Paul now wrapped in his arms, as if he was comforting my strong, self-confident husband. What had my father told him?

I found my dad sitting on the bench in the workshop, and he patted the space beside him. When I wanted to ask him what he had told Paul, he said: 'Shush, love, it was nothing very bad, just something he didn't want to hear. But I thought he needed to be prepared.

And I have a similar warning for you. I know you share love with more ease than Paul, but you are still a child of this society, with its morals ingrained in your very being. You are going to another world altogether, with different customs and different rules, and you have no idea how it will work out.

Everything you think of as certain will be subject to change there, even those things that keep you stable and happy. You are going along to support Lukas, but actually I do not expect him to need much support there. The two of you however are going to find your world turned upside down, and I beg you, as I have begged Paul, to stay true to one another in spirit, and not offer the other judgement but instead be clear about the love you feel for him.

Please trust Lukas in matters of the heart, and keep talking, do not shut the other out.

I am done now, I wish you a very learning experience, and I hope Lukas will manage to resolve the trouble he needs to set to rights. I'll keep an eye on your young friend, set him up with one of our shields. Bye love!'

And with that he kissed me, and he left the workshop and the house.

I was left stunned. Whatever did he mean? Did he tell me something would come between Paul and me? That couldn't be, could it?

I practically ran downstairs, where Paul was still on Lukas' lap, still upset, and I sat next to them and held him too.

'Why do guys like your dad always talk in riddles?' Paul asked me, 'now he has me all upset, and nothing has even happened yet.'

Lukas squeezed him and said soothingly: 'And nothing will happen, I'll be with you all the time.'

Jonathan told us the next day that he preferred to stay safely in the city, and that George and Frances had invited him to stay with them. George and Tristan would teach him, with Paul's parents helping out if he got bored.

I was sad to leave him, but I was glad that he was staying, one less person to worry about. After waiting for two days for Hermes to show up, we decided to go through the portal by ourselves, and trust to the spell Hermes had given us to deliver us to his villa. Time probably did move totally differently in his world, and we'd find him at home just as easily.

So when the moment had come to enter the portal, we all had one large backpack with supplies, and we were getting pretty nervous. We had said our goodbyes to everyone present, including Jonathan.

Lukas would go first, as the best fighter and the person who knew where we'd end up. He had the gun stuck into his belt, and several cartridges in his pockets. Then I'd go, and Paul would be last.

We reminded ourselves that it would not be more dangerous than going to the real Greece, but that didn't help me much.

After sharing one last embrace, Lukas stuck his head into the portal fearlessly, as his father had done before him. Soon he was through and it was my turn.

Paul encouraged me with a: 'Your turn, love, see you soon!'

I stuck my head in the portal, taking my first breath and look around in an alien world.

*****

Author's note

I hope you have enjoyed reading my story. I have been well-entertained writing it, and have read it countless times to correct it, to divide it in chapters logically, to make sure the facts and the action are continuous. And I still like reading it, which is why I actually wrote it, to enjoy myself.

This is the first story I've ever written that has sprung solely from my own mind. As stories usually do, it grew in the telling, and I soon regretted having chosen the first person point of view to write it, for every action had to be seen by Melissa herself, or told to her by someone else.

But I stuck to it, and I have not been sorry for it, for it taught me a lot.

The story originated in a work of art I made myself out of paper-maché, I am really attached to that piece, it was one of the first large things I ever made, and though my art has progressed since then, making it seem rather primitive by now, I still love it. I have often wondered what would happen if the goat-man would come out, and if he did, where he would have come from, and how he would fit in our society. That was the basis of Mirror bound.

I read a lot of fantasy, and I have the greatest respect for writers who can give their heroes and heroines massive character flaws and make their lives miserable in the most convoluted plots with explosive action, grave physical hurts and plot twists. I admire the way they can grab my attention and keep me in constant suspense, until I finally lay down the book, totally worn out.

That is not the kind of story I want to write myself, I enjoy the action, but I enjoy reading about the way people interact even more. I like Jane Austen and the Brönte sisters too, the strong emotions, the beautiful language.

Of course in those novels, people never seem to make love, but in contemporary fantasy they don't really, either. There, I often find myself irritated reading flowery descriptions of people finally getting together, making love without mentioning what they are actually doing, except that it is something of a higher order, instead of a natural urge that especially young people give in to pretty often.

And when they have found one another, the story usually ends, when in fact that moment is where it starts to get interesting. How will they fare together, will they stay connected, or drift apart, will they solve their small, or larger, difficulties, or will they wallow in self-pity and stop talking?

So that was what writing Mirror bound was all about, exploring the relationships people can develop who are thrown together by circumstances, the feelings they encounter, and have to conquer in some cases.

The characters have some flaws, but not really bad ones, they are flaws we all recognize in ourselves or someone we hold dear. And they are all looking for a bit of love, and reasonably well-disposed to other people.

I have come to love all of them, and they have really developed themselves, often doing things I didn't expect, making problems for me by changing everything. That was one of the most pleasant surprises in writing, that characters really do come to life, and decide by themselves how their lives will be lived.

Though it may seem that way, the characters aren't surpassingly beautiful either, of course they may see some of the others as such, but don't we all see the people we love best as being the most beautiful? I think most of us would not see Lukas as beautiful, a skinny, scrawny guy with a long, narrow face, and a mottled skin? But to Melissa he is beautiful, because he is one of those people whose inner light shines right through.

Of course there had to be some action, and some description of magic-use, but not too much, for in the end what matters is, how people interact, how they fall in love, what comes between them and what they do about it.

I'm already working on the follow-up, which does have a different viewpoint, for I was dying to find out at last what Paul and Lukas really think. And I was not disappointed, especially Lukas will go through a lot of changes, and has some important choices to make, and being able to see his view on everything is very interesting.

I hope you will continue to read, and I hope you will let me know what you think.