Mistress Agnes Ch. 22: Conclusion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dennis had no way of knowing whether that had been a rhetorical question or an attempt to catch him at having been a soldier, and he managed to put it out of his mind, but only with some effort.

Pretty soon Patrick brought fresh coffee and indeed chocolate cake with whipped cream, and Dennis remarked, 'Thank you, Patrick, I have just heard that Captain Avery hasn't had breakfast, do you mind bringing something a bit more substantial as well, to tide him over until lunch?'

Patrick bowed respectfully, and Dennis thought his friend managed to look very dignified despite his servant act. He did look stunning in livery, he usually didn't wear that, maybe he had donned it for the interview with Dick's replacement.

'Thank you, Mr Parker. These cakes look incredible, but I am pretty hungry. I hope Patrick brings me some of those pastries, they're the best I've ever tasted, it's just incredible Agnes' cook is actually a local, he could work in London no problem. You know I have always wondered how my cousin managed to lure those handsome city servants of hers to live in this God-forsaken place, I do wonder how anyone can bury himself alive out here. There is nothing to do, no culture, no entertainment. How can they all stand it? How do you stand it, Mr Parker? Will you take Mrs Parker to live in the city once you're married?'

Well, Dennis knew why Guy and Patrick were pleased to live on the moors, though he did think the two city boys would have preferred to live in the city. And he supposed Agnes liked the freedom of the country, no-one to tell her how to behave, no obnoxious men to try and rule her life.

'I kind of like the peace and quiet out here, Captain Avery. We did go to town a few months ago and I liked it tremendously, the society, the plays, the beautiful garden. You know the soil is very poor here, and I like gardening.

But in the end we were both very happy to be back here, we ride out together, Agnes likes to hunt, it's a beautiful landscape, though it can be unforgiving to those who are not prepared. I guess nothing much will change when we are married, not at first. Until we have our baby, of course, but I suspect it's much easier to raise a child in the freedom of the country than within the constraints of a city.'

Oh, Agnes must have left that out of the invitation. Captain Avery's mouth fell open and he stammered, 'You're getting married because my cousin is with child? She didn't tell me. Though I suppose it's not something to actually commit to black and white, I've conceived a child out of wedlock after a barren ten-year marriage. The talk would go on for more than ten years. I suppose she meant to tell me in person.'

'I'm sorry you heard like this, Captain, I thought you knew.'

'Never mind, Mr Parker, I'm just very happy for both of you. A child of her own! She never complained, she loved Frederick so, but I always felt sorry for her, to have lost him without a child to remember him by.'

The captain took a bite out of his cake, and put the whipped cream in his coffee instead.

'This is so good! Even the coffee tastes better here. Do you think that is the clean air?'

'I wouldn't be at all surprised, I always have an excellent appetite, especially after a long ride on the moors.'

'Do you know how to navigate them safely, Mr Parker?'

'I do, Captain. Agnes taught me, it's not very hard, but even most of the locals prefer to keep to the paths. Do you know how to travel through the moors?'

'I don't, though I'd like to learn. You know I never did fault Frederick for letting his beloved wife inherit all this. They were happy here, he never wanted to live anywhere else, I suppose he taught my cousin how to survive out here. I always preferred town. When Agnes broke down after Frederick's decease I offered to marry her, to provide her with a home and someone to support her. But she refused, said she wanted to be more than someone's wife. She must love you very much to enter that state again, though having a child together out of wedlock is another matter still. Had I known it was my cousin Frederick who was unable to sire children I wouldn't even have offered her marriage, I never wanted children. And I wouldn't have moved here for all the money in the world, though it is beautiful in summer.'

'Would you like to explore a bit after lunch? We have two hunters who really need their exercise, and Agnes will likely not return in time to ride hers today. We also have two young hounds who like to run, I've walked them this morning but I couldn't take time to ride. One of our servants got hurt in an act of bravery the day before yesterday, and I needed to convince him it was not his fault that he cannot work for six weeks.'

'You mean that tall dimwit I saw when I visited few months ago? He is the local giant everyone talks about? The one who captured three deserters pillaging farms near Harrowdale Forest?'

So the tale was out there for anyone to hear. Damn!

'Yes, that's our Dick. He's not actually a dimwit, just a bit slow, but I tell you he was fast enough when it counted! At this moment he is rather a sad sight, though, he broke his hand and is in a lot of pain. He caught one barehanded, and Agnes and a hunter who rents the rights to hunt the forest each shot one of the other two.'

'You didn't get one?'

Again the allusion Dennis feared.

'I was along, but I did not fight. A new hound we bought that day attacked a brigand, and Dick stepped in to save her.'

Frankly, Dennis had been eager to fight, but it wouldn't do to tell the captain that. And besides, he hadn't been disappointed to have missed the fight, or angry at Dick for taking out his man, his excitement had faded quickly once the situation was secure.

'I would like to go out riding with you, Mr Parker. I do not often get the chance to ride just for fun, and I trust you to find our way around the bogs and back home. But first I would like to apologize to you. I heard some far-fetched, ludicrous stories at the camp, about one of the deserters recognizing you as a former private who was reported lost in this moor about a year ago, and I am ashamed to admit I thought there might be some truth in them. Of course I had to make sure my cousin wasn't going to marry a deserter cunning enough to mislead his own superiors to have him reported lost on patrol, I'm sure you understand.'

Dennis managed to nod politely, not knowing whether to be relieved or more anxious than ever. But the captain continued.

'When my cousin Frederick turned out to have left our family manor to his wife I did not resent the loss of the house or the property, I knew I should never make a good liege, having no love for this land, nor compassion with people of lower classes. My cousin has proven to have both, her defence of her lands against intruders has brought her acclaim with my connections in the army. She was meant to rule this estate, and Frederick probably knew.

I did envy her the fortune and the house in town, but those were not family possessions, Frederick and Agnes bought the house in town themselves and Frederick built their fortune out of her inheritance as much as his own. As much as I hope she will live a long and happy life, I would have liked to be her foremost heir, but now it will all fall to you.'

'I beg to differ, Captain Avery. I do not desire the acquisition of land and riches, and I fear the responsibility that comes with owning either. I did not want to marry Agnes, and wouldn't have, if she hadn't gotten with child. The fortune will be his, or hers, not mine. If the worst happens I will hold it in trust for our child, as I will hold the manor house and the grounds, as I will take care of her tenants and staff, until the child is of age and ready to take possession of Agnes' legacy and the responsibility that goes hand in hand with it.'

'You have laid all my fears to rest, Mr Parker. I believe you, you have no interest in my cousin's riches, you love her and want to be with her. I no longer need a legacy, I have done very well in the war and can live in town in the manner of my choosing. I do not wish to get married or to beget heirs of the body, I never did.'

That was kind of weird, but Dennis didn't think anything of it, he had again made a narrow escape, but if he was any judge of character, anyone calling Mr Dennis Parker a former deserter in Captain Avery's hearing would be facing a challenge.

Said captain was now munching one of Cook's pastries with an expression bordering on blasphemy, his face looking as if this was a religious experience rather than a superior feat of cooking. When he had finished it, he expressed his joy eloquently, and Dennis couldn't help observing dryly, 'You'll get more of those at lunch, for dinner Cook usually makes an extra effort. I'm glad you enjoy them, Cook so loves appreciative guests. I need to check on Dick, I hope you understand, his wife is away from home and I really worry about him. I will be back in half an hour.'

'The giant hero has a wife?' the captain asked in total disbelief. 'Next you're going to tell me that beautiful Patrick is married, too.'

Suppressing a flash of irritation at the insult against Dick, Dennis managed to ignore the slight and addressed the remark on Patrick, which was indeed a ludicrous idea.

'Dick's wife lives here with him, she comes home after lunch to see to him. You will be stunned, she is very beautiful and incredibly smart. But I can reassure you, Patrick is still unmarried.

Do you want to check out Charles' workshop while I am away? Or have you already seen it?'

'I have not, I've often stayed a night here but always left after breakfast. I have heard a lot about his talent from my cousin, I'd love to see his work.'

So Dennis took him through the garden to the workshop, introduced him to Charles, then made his way to Dick's bedroom.

Dick woke up when Dennis came in, he looked a lot better and he smiled sweetly. Pixie also looked at Dennis from her vantagepoint on the bed, stretched herself and yawned her little teeth bare.

'She's changing her teeth, Dick!' Dennis observed.

'I know, she's been at several pairs of socks, and ruined one sock of each. Maria was very angry, until she remembered her nephews and nieces chewing on things and crying a lot when they changed teeth. Now we put everything in a basket on top of a shelf so Pixie cannot reach.'

'Dick, the mistress' cousin is here, Captain Avery. You know him?'

'I have seen him when he stayed here once, when you were already here, but in the attic. That must have been very dangerous, Dennis, with him being a captain of the army. I never realized, I was still very stupid then. I made his fire and changed his washing water. We never talked, he probably didn't think I could talk.'

That explained the Captain's remarks, but Dennis was still not pleased to hear his friend called a dimwit.

'The captain has heard of your deed, Dick, and he will want to talk to you about it. So you'll have to be very careful what you tell him. Don't try to push the honours towards me, he cannot know I was in the army. Just accept his praise, and if you get shy, just allow yourself to be shy. Maria will be back after lunch, won't she? I will be taking the captain out for a ride on the moors, maybe you can ask Cook to make him something special, he is a real gourmet, he loves dainties.'

Dick was awake enough to sit up and Dennis straightened his clothing, something Dick might be able to do himself, but he was feeling rather protective of his friend. His temperature was fine, and he seemed rather spirited.

'I'm so glad Maria will be back early again today, though I know she has work to do. But I'll just watch her, or try to read with the book in one hand. I hoped you'd lunch with us today, since the mistress is away, too bad you've got company. Are you in danger, Dennis? Will he find out?'

'I don't think so, Dick, he didn't believe I was a soldier, and I acted like I wasn't but without lying outright. But if he says something about my not being as brave as you, don't protest. We want him to think that, remember. Well, I'm off to lunch, you enjoy yourself with Maria, I'll be with the captain all day, even when the mistress returns.'

But Captain Avery wouldn't hear of lunching in the dining-room.

'Can't we lunch with the others? I'm a soldier, I often sit at the table with my men. I enjoyed myself hugely with Charles, he is a true artist, really amazing. And I want to meet your giant hero myself, I cannot believe he actually beat an armed man barehanded. And his wife, will she be there, too? And handsome Patrick, we go way back, you see, I worried about my cousin, she was so lost in grief, and he promised me it would all be fine, and it was. I didn't see the other man, like his twin, only more serious. Wasn't he her butler? Did he leave?'

'Guy still is her butler, and her housekeeper, he accompanies her today because this is a business trip. They're going to offer those farmers to buy them out and improve their houses and livelihood. Of course that does mean they'll become her tenants.'

'She'd buy those farmers out? That must be charity, those farms can't be worth much. Dear Agnes, she takes such good care of people. So the butler's name is Guy, I did seem to remember it was French. And that is all your staff, in this large house?'

'There is just John, the stable boy. And Maria, Dick's wife, doesn't work in the household, she is a seamstress. She prefers not to lunch here, she says the food is too tempting, she fears getting fat on Cook's bounty, which is not unthinkable since he loves using cream and is liberal with bacon. Patrick is hiring a temporary maid right now, to replace Dick until his hand heals up. But one maid won't do, Dick does the work of at least two servants. Still it's high summer and we'll manage. Let me ring for Cook, to tell him we'll be joining the staff for lunch.'

And a merry lunch they had. Dick was shy, of course, but the captain skillfully managed to get the story of the brigands out of him. Just as skillfully, Dick refrained from mentioning Dennis' role in the raid, and Dennis wondered who was leading whom here.

'You have grown a lot, Dick, since I last saw you,' Captain Avery said, 'living here must agree with you. And I am so impressed with your deed, saving a hound from a dangerous brigand. I suppose you have seen a doctor, since you are wearing a splint, but if that doesn't work out you have to come to London, I have seen the work of a surgeon who specializes in operations, cutting into flesh to cure a person. Soldiers often break bones, and sometimes they heal wrong. This surgeon is the first doctor I've seen who can fix an old break. And yours is fresh. Did the army give you a reward? They usually do in cases like this.'

Dick really had grown, for he said gently, 'They did not, but it has been just two days, Captain.'

As the captain talked to Dick and complimented Cook outrageously over each dish, until the poor man got all flustered with the attention, Dennis happened to look at Patrick, who gave him a really big wink. It promised a juicy bit of gossip, and Dennis couldn't wait to hear it. Though he had heard enough gossip about himself to last a lifetime, he guessed this would concern the captain, and he expected to enjoy it.

When the captain turned his attention to Patrick, Dennis got a little hint of what was to come.

'Patrick, you look absolutely stunning in that livery. I'm used to seeing men in uniforms, but generally red is not their colour. White and gold suits most men much better, and you better than most.'

Was he flirting with Patrick? That gave a whole new outlook on things. Why he didn't want children, and had proposed marriage to his cousin to just make her less lonely. But he was a captain of the army, if anyone ever found out! Why didn't he watch his tongue much better? Of course the inhabitants of this house were much more knowledgeable about two men falling in love, most people didn't even know it was possible. Still, a flirt was a flirt.

Patrick seemed to feel the same way and replied cautiously, 'Thank you Captain, the mistress had it designed especially for us so we'd be able to impress city people on our yearly trip to town. I wore it today to test a new applicant, if she tried to flirt we'd be warned.'

Well, that was a hint and no mistake, but Dennis did not think the captain picked it up. He seemed to have no idea Patrick fancied men, not even a suspicion. He merely admired his good looks, and that was it. He expected nothing more. Of course Patrick could see that as well as Dennis did, and he answered the captain's questions about his work readily, even nicely.

When the captain was occupied talking to Charles for a few moments, Dennis went over to Patrick, who said, 'Did you notice? I think he's like Guy and me, though he hasn't made true avances to me he's kind of flirty all the time. Doesn't he know how dangerous it is to do that openly? And he's in the army! Do you think he hasn't been with a man before?'

Patrick seemed to find that irresistible.

'And do you think we should warn him? I kind of like him, though he could make things difficult for you. And then we'd be happy to have some information on him. It would be despicable of course, to blackmail an honest man, but for you I'd frame him without hesitation, let someone catch him doing me.'

'That's very sweet of you, my love, but I don't think it's needed. I think he has accepted me, he had heard rumours and came by to check me out before his cousin married me. That is actually very sweet. Let's wait for Agnes, she knows him best.'

Imagine Patrick wanting to use the knowledge to blackmail the captain into accepting him. He must truly love Dennis, it was such a good feeling to be wanted.

With John away Dennis had to saddle the horses himself, though the captain of course knew how to saddle a horse. He checked the gear on Dennis' insistence.

'I'm afraid I'm rather new to this and John usually does everything. We couldn't afford horses at home, Captain.'

'It's perfectly fine, Mr Parker, which one do you ride?'

'The filly used to be mine, I wasn't very brave when I started out, but since Agnes got with child we've started to trade horses so she can keep riding as long as possible. The gelding is rather spirited, it used to be her husband's. You can choose.'

'That is Frederick's hunter? It was a menace, he often told us about it. Of course he's older now, but I guess I'll take the filly, I'm not used to the footing either, I'd like to be safe. How can Agnes ride that demon?'

Suddenly, Dennis understood.

'She rides astride, Captain Avery. She taught herself to ride that horse, to be able to keep it, in memory of her beloved husband. But she had to ride it astride or it wouldn't be safe. Nor can one shoot well from a side-saddle, apparently.'

The captain did not look too shocked hearing this, Dennis supposed he was starting to understand why Agnes preferred to live in the country. Without comment, he took both horses by their bridles, 'You wanted to take a few hounds along? I'll handle the horses while you release them.'

That was done in a second, Dennis let the two young ones out and took over the reins of the tall hunter. Both men mounted and Dennis took the lead. The moors were beautiful in late summer, some of the heath was already in bloom, and dragonflies were chasing each other across the wetter parts of the moors.

'Those bright green patches are the dangerous bits,' he explained as they walked their horses past some bogs. 'They can swallow a man whole.'

The captain was interested in everything Dennis could tell him about the moors, and they spent above an hour riding, until horses and hounds were a lot quieter than they started out. Dennis decided to do the stable work since he was out here anyway, and John would want to go home after a tiring drive.

1...678910...14