All Comments on 'Momma Bear'

by man_as_dog

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Pretty good

Other than he was the LE stereotype nice guy, and of course that poor (literally) and plump woman and her daughter were desperate for his help...I would have preferred a more equal basis here. I suspect most 66 year old men would be interested in 55 year old women as a second marriage.

But it was well done, and unconventional in that she dumped him in the end, so I rated it 5*

Site won't let let me sign in!

Chilley

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 9 years ago
Damm Good !

Blind spots ! We all hsve them. Personally I think the narrator rushed Susan after they reunited. She needed a lot of time to trust him again. Still thid was a story of devent people with frailties, some more evident then others. Most of all I enjoyed how credible this story rang , culminating in an incendiary tryst.

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Really Interesting Story

Basically it comes down to the old story communication is a two way

street and everyone has to participate. There are so many blocked conduits here that I expected a violent explosion. It was never clear what she would consider "playful"

Pappy7Pappy7over 9 years ago
I liked the story.

It has a realistic feel to it. I think that the older we get the more we are controlled by things outside of us. These could be our children or just what we have built up as our persona over the years. It is hard to step out of that "enclosure". She wasn't nearly the free spirit he expected.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Interesting but not surprising

The lesson of a Momma Bear and her cub is an old one. You can learn it from Mother Nature when you step between a real mother bear and her cub (not something I suggest unless you are armed with a seriously large gun and are an expert shot) or you can learn it from a Mother by doing or even suggesting something might be wrong with their kid. Many men have learned that lesson by marrying a woman with children and running afoul of that relationship between mother and child. You end up divorced in a hurry and you're never the good guy in that scenario no matter if her kid or kids are drug addicts. It seemed to me in this case he should have left well enough alone and not attempted any type of communication with either Susan or her daughter. It was a lose/lose situation. And he killed any chance he might of had when he basically treated her like a prostitute in their last encounter. So it wasn't surprising that she never wanted to hear from him again. At least it didn't seem like she tried to take advantage of his superior financial position and just use him. All in all, not a bad story. It wasn't quite as entertaining as I might have liked, but then again, it wasn't terrible. PS - if you don't want to read peoples comments or have them score your story - don't allow it. That way - no problems from all of us Anons!

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 8 years ago
2nd Readthrough Ruminations

Loved how author showcased the 2 principal characters strengths and faults . The narrator is a throughly decent man who can skip a beat in terms of thinking how to make his rationales on justified decisions more palatable to Susan. She lost out in excising him from her life. The narrator also feels Susan ' s absence , but psychic frailties trumped core attraction.

Usually I like clear cut bad/good delineations, but that's superfluous here thanks to man _ as_dog ' s talent. It's just a story but one that leaves you hoping the fictional characters found the ' happily ever after ' ending that eluded them this time out. I thank the author for sharing. Full marks. *****

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchover 5 years ago
One of the best ever on this site.

Your insights ring true to me Jefe!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

GREAT STORY, and you are such a good writer, but Ouch, it hurt. Thanks

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous