All Comments on 'Monster'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 150 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I liked the ending more than the beginning.

She left him because he wasn't there and he wasn't much of a father later. So why would he suddenly decide to own up to his responsibilities? Why would he threaten to leave her behind? Because she dated the wrong guy AFTER they divorced?

As well, why not admit the obligation he has to her? He knocked her up, he abandoned her to be a single mom and when she finally divorced him after he emotionally divorced her, he didn't fight for his marriage, his wife or his children. He didn't even try to make life easier for her and his children, he simply abandoned them.

If anything, it isn't his murders that make him a monster, it's blaming her for being a crappy mom when she was the one providing, protecting and trying to raise their children while he was playing at being a monster.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Thank you

I was one of the people that asked for this story

It was a very dark and very good read

Maybe you can move on to a twisted antihero A-Team your people have potential 5Star

CrkcpprCrkcpprover 7 years ago
Still batting 1.000

I was maybe two or three paragraphs in when it hit me , Todd172 , what you have birthed here , IMO , is a great Graphic Novel character.

Monster reminded me of Marv ( Mickey Rouke's character) in the movie " Sin City".

While I've never read the first one of those type of books , I have enjoyed several movies that were based on them.

The dialogue , that seems to bother so many other readers, is just like some of my old favorite comics of my childhood , only with much more plot development.

The fact that you produced this in such a short time frame after having several ask for it , was amazing .

I want to be on the record as asking you to please share some more of your God given talents with us. Thank you for sharing this.

5 *'s of course.

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 7 years ago
Really good.

Enjoyed it a lot.

And very accurate in describing special forces soldiers.

They avoid fighting but if they have to it lasts a couple of seconds at most.

(certainly not me, but I did know a British guy who was ex sf and he would always walk away, except the one time he could not and it was over so quickly I did not even have time to notice if it was violent)

Really enjoying your stories, more please.

5*

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 7 years ago
ROCKed iT !

People can nitpick about this or that inconsistency. Whatever. I read a story about two people who paired up, reproduced, split apart to disastrous effect and finally realized it's not about them . It's about their kids . One forgives the egregious and unforgivable, if considered on individual basis, if at all possible for their sake . Because it's not about you.

Full marks. *****

oshawoshawover 7 years ago

I hope you consider making Monster and Ex a franchise. Great story.

miscacc201501miscacc201501over 7 years ago
Was really intrigued about the story behind Monster and Ex when I read Shameless

Thanks for this wonderful piece of writing that shed a little light on them. I won't ask for more on them because this is pretty perfect. But that doesn't imply that more wouldn't be welcome.

impo_61impo_61over 7 years ago
Another very good story from this author!!!

Another very good story from this author!!! After so much violence, the writer could bring us to a smile in the end: "There were at least a dozen studies on the importance of grandparents to the success of grandchildren...Another gleam of light in that grey void...Obligations". Thank you for this story...4*

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 7 years ago
Great cast of characters

Hope to see more from their universe. More back stories? New plot lines? Very enjoyable to read your stuff. I love the bare bones descriptions, the rat-a-tat rhythm. And I very much appreciate your postscript notes. They are a fascinating peek into your creative process. Thanks for sharing your gift.

CSD2CSD2over 7 years ago
Ask and ye shall receive

I'm glad I asked. Thank you for giving.

A man who didn't become the perfect "husband" until after what was left of humanity was gone.

A woman who got her "princess" dream with the beast that pretends he's human.

A great way to start my day.

thunderfoot1959thunderfoot1959over 7 years ago
Loved the story - need a clarification

The difference between an RN and an RPN differs between the US and other countries. The RPN is a more advanced licensure outside the US and an inferior one in the US. The story sounds like it's in the US but the ranking of RN and RPN doesn't match this. Thanks!

TheKrrakTheKrrakover 7 years ago
Thank you

This backstory on Monster and Ex is wonderful and refreshing. Thank you for taking the time to "put pen to paper" on these characters.

Would love to see more of your stories involving these and your other characters that you developed in "Shameless".

5/5

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
Thoughts

As usual, writing these as I go, so some comments may be over-taken by future events.

"I knew that I had had feelings of anger and loss, but they were gone now" - I'm not sure I understand this. She didn't cheat on him, and earlier he seemed to understand why she left.

"After the dietrus from breakfast was cleared" -"detritus"

"the girl there told me I would have to get permission to get it removed – like somebody owns me!" - It might mean that to the club, but it shouldn't mean that to the general public!

"She did the mental math and figured out why,"- Why?

"Mostly."- What about the times she WASN'T " selective, or didn't try to find "other" solutions?

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 7 years ago
Dark, Intriguing Story

Sardonic as all get out - they just threw the muggers' bodies into the river and never mentioned it again. Wow! The story implied it, but didn't focus on it - I would wager that the three kids turn out exceptionally well. Oshaw make a good comment - there is indeed an opportunity for subsequent stories about the kids.

TexasBBTexasBBover 7 years ago
Dark But Very Good

Very well written back story on Monster and Ex. Quite dark, but it ties well to the characters you introduced before

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Definition of top

I thought top was reserved for those who achieved the highest possible enlisted rank. Had a master gunnery sergeant who worked for me tell me that. He is a former marine.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Confused

The part where Patrick is treated better in school and the wife cries for an hour after doing the math. Im confused on what it means. Any answers?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Very good

I skimmed a lot, which isn't good, mostly Anne's part at the end. But it was a very good story. You have talent.

bruce22bruce22over 7 years ago
Deliciously Dark

I will have to note this reaction and try to understand. I really doubt that I will ever

give Todd172 other than five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I always get a good laugh out of super soldier stories

They're almost as amusing as a Tom Clancy novel.

ace4869ace4869over 7 years ago
Dang son!

Ask and ye shall receive a damn fine story! 5 stars again. I'm gonna wear that button out voting for your stories. Thanks for a very good read!

leviayersleviayersover 7 years ago

you're very good thanks 5*

Todd172Todd172over 7 years agoAuthor
Thanks again for the feedback

I appreciate the feedback. It helps me see where I'm hitting the mark and where I'm failing. 

A few things: Should have been Nurse Practitioner vice RPN.  I assisted a mobile clinic with a non - US staff as an interpreter for a bit, and got the Nursing levels all wrong in my head. 

Patrick is being treated better for the same reason Ex was stopped to see if she needed help.  Society is pretty cruel to those on the fringe - as if they always chose their station - and because he has new clothes and his mom is dressing like they expect a mom to dress, he receives better treatment.  She blames herself for the way her children were being treated.  I should have been clearer there.

Army and Marines use different terms of address.  Can't vouch for USMC usage of "Top".

And, yeah, tattoo parlors in OMC territory are very cautious about putting on or removing certain tattoos.  I checked that with the tattoo artist husband of a co-worker.

A Final Note: Soldier Girl should post on Lesbian very soon. I thought I tagged it as Romance, but it could go either way, so that's fine. I got several private feedback messages from TBI victims from this one, so I thought I'd better mention SG has a few pretty weighty themes: PTSD, Survivor Guilt and Domestic Violence. I'm not playing it lightly, and i dont have any agend; this is just who these people are.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Todd

PolyLvrPolyLvrover 7 years ago
Terrific tale.

The absolute veracity of some of these conditions don't bother me in a story. As long as it's plausible.

I love all your stories

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 7 years ago
amazed again

You pack more character development into a three page story than some writers put into ten pages, and while you're doing it you still have a good story too.

I've known some that were a good bit like that, without shrapnel wounds to cause it.

Dump a few deceased muggers in the river?

Catfish and crayfish gotta eat too.

Crusader235Crusader235over 7 years ago
Keep going

Just keep going on these awesome stories. I wish we had more monsters to take out the trash that is becoming so prevalent in our country. Note: 'Top' is reserved for First Sargent, Sargent Major is above that. Semper Fi.

Sidney43Sidney43over 7 years ago

A simply fascinating character and I am only sorry that the story ended. In fact, both the monster and his loving wife (ex) are very interesting as is their relationship. Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wow ! We have anew super writer here in todd172.

Your stories are amazing, 3 pages could have been 20. It's amazing how you are able to get all those characters into this stories and make it feel real. Don't burn your self out, space these stores so you don't runout of ideas.thank you .

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I know this....

I know these people. My father spoke of closeted weapons in human form. Truthfully, mentally and emotionally - I prepared myself to become one. I served a full tour plus some. I was never called upon.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
MONSTERS ARE EVERYWHERE

the ones in the ID are the worsterest" TK U MLJ LV NV

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 7 years ago
Batting

1000 so far.

jocko_smithjocko_smithover 7 years ago
Amazing work

which, ironically, is "typical" for you, it seems. I still enjoy the economical/clipped writing, since it fits the narrative and the characters. And I agree with whoever posted earlier -- Monster seems made for a graphic novel.

Oh, and kudos for mentioning USAF CCT/STS, the totally unknown of the SMU troops, in your afterword.

njlaurennjlaurenover 7 years ago
Nice story

Like shameless,a piece of solid writing.I feel for both Monster and Anne,they both in the end were victims of what Monster was doing for the military, she lost her way as he lost himself, and in a sense they both were left as shells of human beings.

It isn't in the style of the author,but it would be a fantastic tale if this could end up with a beauty and the beast ending,where Anne helps Monster regain his humanity and she the person she loves.

njlaurennjlaurenover 7 years ago
I think rpn= nurse practioner

For @thunderbird. I have never seen rpn,I have seen lpn which is a licensed practical nurse which is lower level than an rn.

As far as doing the math,I think that is Ann realizing kids are treating Patrick better because they are afraid of monster.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
A little shallow

It just feels like a fad to me. This is the new diet, the hot electronic thing, the cool car. Next month, will anyone want one?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
@njlauren Re: Nursing Designations

Yes, I believe you are right. I have three sisters-in-law who are/have been nurses, and it's been a while,but if my Swiss cheese brain isn't failing me the progression is:

Nurse; LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse; RN - Registered Nurse; Nurse Practitioner.

dinkymacdinkymacover 7 years ago
Excellent!

Super story. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Another great plot idea. Really well done. Some profound implicatoins.

Thanks for your characters making no apologies. Anne was a bit of a setup, no decent woman with children would tolerate 1% of what you described. And once she and monster were reestablished, her family would have come back into their lives. But that's OK, its fiction. Monster letting her stay in their lives was a practical option. Its so profound that she loves him more than ever, and yet is ready for him to kill her if he's ever so inclined. She stayed as an act of love, and she knows he can never appreciate or respect her. He keeps her because he finds her useful, kind of like the motorcycle gang did. Its not lost on me that she has a much more respectful and comfortable life with monster, yet she was actually safer with the motorcycle gang. At least she can understand and anticipate their treatment of her. I suspect that every night when she goes to bed next to monster, she has a fleeting moment of wonder if she will wake up in the morning. I expect by now she has accepted that, in truth, do any of us really know if we will wake up in the morning? So she accepts the reality, lives with a memory, and in a very deep recess, a hope.

Thank you for a very thought provoking and compelling story.

patilliepatillieover 7 years ago
So much you can do with these characters

and your descriptive abilities are nonparallel. Lookng fwd to more.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 7 years ago
A SOLID 5!

I have to admit I clicked on this story because I wondered just what kind of story could garner such a high rating on today’s LW. I found a polished gem; after reading it, I don’t understand why it doesn’t have a 5.0 score. GREAT WORK!

Now for a few comments on the comments. To the one who doesn’t understand why a woman would put up with such treatment—enjoy that well protected little world you live in. I’ll bet you vote Democrat and don’t understand why a person would need a gun in their home. May God protect you and you never have reason to understand what those of us in the real world know so well. (Answer to your question—the gang would hunt her down and kill her like a dog) Also to the question of how people in town would know about the tattoo, if the gang is operating in the area, you can bet your ass they have made sure those with need to know have been informed.)

AS for rank in the Marine Corps—things are different now than they were during my time,(58-62) but sometime along the way, addressing NCO's by exact rank seems to have become important. In my Avionics Section any Sargent, Tech., Staff, Gunnery, etc. would be addressed in all non-formal situations as Sargent. The E7 Master Sargent, (one per section) was always “Top” in work-a day life and there was a Group Sgt. Major, who was said to be in the main office, where he regularly communed with God and the CO. Any Marine, below the rank of E7, who had occasion to speak to this person, was in BIG TROUBLE. As I said, things have changed, and not always for the better.

Have you considered e-publishing some of your work? I regularly buy Kindle Books which are no better than this story.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 7 years ago
A sad and moving story

Monsters are real.

I know of a couple of former British Special Forces who were almost like Monster.

icebreadicebreadover 7 years ago
Just..

more, more, more.

icebreadicebreadover 7 years ago
I forgot to mention.

Five stars.

Todd172Todd172over 7 years agoAuthor
Thanks again...

Again, thanks for the feedback. 

As to Graphic Novels, I honestly  never thought about it.  But now that you all have brought it up, I can picture it.  In particular, the scene in The Shack.

Unfortunately, the only graphic novel artist I know personally does ànime.... and I just can't picture Monster in chibi. Still I will look around and see what I can find. 

My last story, Soldier Girl ended up posted to Lesbian, and I have to say, it's really quiet over there.  It's rating okay, but I'm kind of used to the energetic comments and debates over here in LW.  Maybe it'll pick up over the weekend.

Wrote a short one over lunch, just over 4K  words that will end up posted to SciFi /Fantasy.  I could stretch and post to LW, since the heroine is a lesser wife in a harem, but I'll behave.  It's a nod to Robert E. Howard, so I'll put it over there.  It'll be titled Gibbous Tendrils.

Super_Slut_69Super_Slut_69over 7 years ago
I like Monster, in some ways I wish there were more of him...

I hate to say it, but I like him. He is a good guy. I don't think Sociopath is a fair description. He is just the type of man we our "society" has forgotten is needed. We have forgotten that there is a wolf inside our sheep dogs, not just a big fluffy puppy. A sheep dog without a reasonable amount of wolf is not a dog but a rug. Hubby and I have trained with a few, some with more medals than they ever wanted. It is very humbling to train beside them, to realize the qualitative difference in men. I don't know if I would describe some of them as Monsterish but I see glimpses of him in them. When a couple offered to keep watch over my mothers when all hell broke loose here a couple years ago, how they slept in the living room of the old house I grew up in while insisting that she, my husband, kids, and I stay in our house out in the country. My husband, who is no pussy, literally begged them to let him stay, he said he felt like a 6 year old begging for ice cream from dad. We are old enough to be their parents, they told him it would not be safe for him, or them if he stayed. I have no doubt that they would have stayed if he refused to leave, but something in the back of my head told me that he would have spent the night zip tied to a chair in the basement if he had. Mostly for his protection. We had no business being there, they did. Houses were looted and some burned around them but not mom's house. I had to hose off part of the front porch, and that was all. Really tired overworked and fucked over (thanks BO, next time keep your trap shut) cops asked what happened, I said, "have no idea, not crazy enough to stay". The boys asked nothing but a case of long necks we got them that plus a couple steaks each. Believe me they get paid a lot more, but not enough, to go the same for strangers, but they would not accept a dime from me.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
"Soldier Girl"

I just read Todd172's "St. Claire: Soldier Girl" over in Lesbian, and it is well worth the read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Disturbingly well done

A facinating look into a injured man's self image. A tragically flawed hero as true heroes must be if the are to be believable. Mourn for Monster, but not his victims.

carvohicarvohiover 7 years ago
Well well..

Very well written, but I didn't enjoy it. In fact I'm of the opinion anyone who does enjoy it is probably a little troubled. I don't know how close to the truth any of it is, but if it is even remotely true it desperately speaks to the need to treat our veterans better.

I'll certainly read more of your stuff, but fives like this one though they may be I don't think I'll be happy with them. Think I'll go reread an old Ohio now for the release.

Jedd Clampett

arrowglassarrowglassover 7 years ago
And so it goes...another "very well done!"

In another life, I received extensive and specialized training. I can tell you with certainty it never completely leaves you...molds you into something you were not (not necessarily a bad thing either)...and often makes you better for it. That being said...truth be told...I wonder really just how many of us out there would not mind being able to aim a "monster" at some of the trajedies/horrors that are unfortunately all too common place in the evening news...disturbing as that may be

RhomanovRhomanovover 7 years ago
*****

Darkly written well.

I wonder what the difference between Monster and his TBI vs. an individual who is emotionally scarred and in the same boat.

shaman43shaman43over 7 years ago
It is possible

As a neuropsychologist the injury as descrbed is possible. There is one famous case of an accountant who had a severe closed head injury. It destroyed part of the brain responsible for emotions. He was unable to make decisions at all. It helped us understand that emotions play an invaluable and necessary part in decision making. He could no longer perform in his profession even though he retained all his math skills. He was self destructive. For example, one night he escaped his care givers. He was found later walking in the middle of a 3 laned expressway with dark clothes. He had no concept of the danger he was in. Loved how you used this condition in the story. A five.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Singularly enjoyable....

.....this was almost Jason Bourne in its I,privations, though the Monster was derived by an unfortunate set of circumstances in operations under hazardous conditions.

Thank you!

silentsoundsilentsoundover 7 years ago
5*

This made me a little ill feeling but it was well written.

I think Anne is a fairly useless idiot who took the pretty good offer the devil gave her.

Great story that has left me feeling uneasy!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Awesome story...

I haven't read or heard much about "The Activity" in a while but read a book a few years back about them.

I am working my way through all your stories and haven't commented since you first two but please keep writing.

AnonWes

TornadoTysTornadoTysover 7 years ago
Circumstances

A great read and a family just trying to function in life.

One teader mentioned that Monster had elements of Jason Bourne which i can see in the story.

The story really didn't blame any one person for doing any bad. Just how circumstances of life have conspired against them. Sure Ex did make some bad choices, she was mainly thinking about her children. Monster just a by product of war. I have seen myself ex army guys who in some way are messed up mentally.

Very good read keep up the good work.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 7 years ago
What a splended story!

Wow.

Anne did OK. So emotionally he is dead inside, but the 'face' is OK. It has the image of love, and probably he does need her, on some level. Out off m kin.

Obviously I liked it a lot, and wished I could write as well.

Chilley

DrSemblanceDrSemblanceover 7 years ago

well done again.

Vivid and concise.

LexingtuckyLexingtuckyover 7 years ago
Bravo Zulu

"There are sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs."

Those of us who spent time in the conventional Army like to tell that story and believe we are "sheepdogs." Then you see real-life "Monsters" and you know the real truth.

Due to a series of fortuitous situations when I was young and stupid, I ended up with a TS clearance. This meant I got sucked upward at a younger age/rank than most. And, because of that, I got to meet a few Monsters. And I got to witness their handiwork. An unnamed operation undertaken by an unnamed activity in a small shithole in Eastern Afghanistan yielded results I had to brief to a couple of flag officers. Six guys, two in over watch, four made the breach. 10 dudes with bad intentions on the other side ended up getting dead. 40 rounds expended, 40 rounds center of mass. 5 AK rounds fired by the other side. 5 FUCKING ROUNDS!!!!! Four guys walked out of that house with nary a scratch, got on a bird, and RTB'ed. I had to do the "clean up" and I filed the reports and the pictures that went with them.

It is then that you remember all dogs are descended from wolves, even sheepdogs.

If I asked for an OMPF and I was told I had to go high-side to get it, I didn't bother, because I already knew who you were and what you were about. And it's OK. Because sometimes wolves are domesticated, and sometimes you need them in your pack. Just don't trust them around the sheep.

You get "fife" stars from me.

GrandPaMGrandPaMover 7 years ago
@shaman43

> There is one famous case of an accountant who had a severe closed head injury. It destroyed part of the brain responsible for emotions. He was unable to make decisions at all. It helped us understand that emotions play an invaluable and necessary part in decision making. <

Oh I would VERY much like to hear more about this case! It would seem to put a full and complete lie to the "vulcan" approach to intellectual life. Fascinating.

From a perspective familiar with computing/software development and some A.I., I wonder if it was the case that his emotional centers were _truly_ necessary for decision-making, or if it were the case that his past decision-making processing was so emotionally interlinked (and his neural pathways therefore so intertwined) that he was left unable to function when those centers were lost. Given enough of the right sort of therapy over time, could he have regained some level of functionality in decision-making terms? With the innate "fluidity" of neural networks, I would imagine that it could have been possible. ...or was it truly not possible - and if not, why/how?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Fantastic

You've got a franchise here. Get a top flight editor and keep writing.

Txs

5x5

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
deliciously dark and deeply flawed

The scene in Shameless makes sense now.

Another example of how much can be expressed with so few words.

I can't help wishing there was some way to flip the switch to on again. Both Monster and Ex should be able to enjoy being together as a couple and as parents. But that is the old softy in me wishing.

Will we now be favoured with back stories on the rest of the cast of characters in The Shack?

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 7 years ago
Nice

Explains everything from "Shameless." About Monster and the Ex, anyway. They were vital to the tale. Time to hear about the kids. Keep it going.

Five Stars

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 7 years ago
I'm sure

There is something wrong with you stories somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. Maybe it is because I'm so pulled into your characters, their lives and their stories I forget to look for mistakes. It wouldn't bother me if i found any. Thank you for a number of fine stories.

Please keep writing, looking forward to it.

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I liked it

Its not just physical damage that can alter someone.

Pysch trauma can as well. I wish it didn't.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Good story, but--

it is spelled "detritus," as in "small particles of organic matter that have broken away from a larger body."

Small point, but details, and words, matter.

Enjoyed the plot line.

ImHappynBPImHappynBPover 7 years ago
Excellent

Thank you. Great stories. Don't you dare stop writing.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
MONSTERS OF THE ID

cannot compare to a real live man made monster. TK U MLJ LV NV

BetterEndingBetterEndingover 7 years ago
Excellent!

Thanks for a fantastic read!

MorganDeWolfeMorganDeWolfeover 7 years ago
The Only 1...

... Star I've given you so far. I've read all the non-shack stories, all 5*'s. I'm following your timeline and suggested reading sequence from Behind Blue Eyes, all 5*'s till now.

Why now, why is this one so different, why the 1* rating, well...

It's the children you see. Annie was a selfish, self-centered bitch. She submitted to a 15 man gang bang (drugged by her excuse) and lived as a club whore till Monster showed up. That is NOT the kind of woman I want anywhere around my children...EVER! Make any excuse you want for the flow of the story but she is poison and corruption in the lives of innocent children. Better no mother than what she is.

Just My Opinion, YMMV

Morgan DeWolfe

P.S. I've been some of those places and done some of those things in a former life. Your stories are uncomfortably close to the bone.

SWIM21SWIM21about 7 years ago
Interesting concept

Like Shaman43 mentioned, it is certainly possible to lose emotion and empathy due to traumatic brain injury; however, I doubt that there would be a 'slice' left for his kids and no one else. Brain injuries are usually an all or nothing situation, especially if it involves the brain stem - loss of functioning may be very narrow and specific, but would be completely lost, not fragmented.

Still, emotional processing and empathy are not a package deal. Autistic children sometimes lack empathy, but they still have emotion and they do have some rudimentary capacity for bonding. From a neuropsychological standpoint, empathy is the ability to perceive, interpret, and reciprocate emotion. What this means is that the lack of empathy does not make one a heartless sociopathic robot. And sociopaths (rather, antisocials) do indeed have plenty of emotion and plenty of capacity to perceive, interpret, and reciprocate it, albeit falsely. The difference is the lack of conscience, not empathy. Antisocials are infamously insidious actors, and you can't act convincingly without empathizing and feeding on the emotions of others.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great story keep it up

Our Top was nicknamed " Sixpack" and it wasn't because of his abs. I was first in stack and had over16000 forced entries and now I protect a Billionaire and I miss it every day and every heart beat.... Land Soft Kill Quiet

shadowjack17shadowjack17almost 7 years ago
Those who have been in the Valley don't need to talk about it

And those who have not cannot understand it. For what it is worth, I was Hollywood, although I was the invisible man, not a "ladie's man".

Having said this, I get it. Ignore the civilians who carp and pick apart your writing. Please continue, if only for the solitary one who gets the story behind the stories. In MY world, "Monster" was killed before I was able to get a clean shot on the...person...who caused him to die. My best friend for about 25 years, he was. Just saying.

I WOULD like to hear the story of the lone vigil Hollywood has in these actions, by the way. There ARE no sociopaths like snipers, yes?

Brendan

tazz317tazz317almost 7 years ago
THOSE WHO SURVIVE THE CONFLICTS

are never the same nor will they be except????????TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
TO THOSE STILL ON PATROL...

TO THISE STILL ON PATROL...

(Those who wear the uniform, those who wore the uniform, and those who sleep wrapped in the uniform for eternity.)

AND TO THISE WHO LOVE THEM...

(Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Wives, Husbands, Daughters, Sons, Grandmothers, Grandfathers, Aunts, Uncles, Nieces, Nephews, Cousins, Family, and Sisters/Brothers in Arms.)

SEMPER FI...DO OR DIE...

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."

Matthew 5:9

DELENDA EST JIHAD

desertdog43desertdog43over 6 years ago
No one knows

Unless you were there, then you never forget...TBI fucked up my life, but I'm still standin....just don't get in my way....O.K.

Bebop3Bebop3about 6 years ago
The Author...

... is one depressing fuck. Just crushes my ego.

I write my little stories and strive for adequacy and then I come over here and read something by Todd172 and realize he's in the Big Leagues while the rest of us are playing in Little League.

I think he might be the best writer on Literotica.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
HOLY SHIT!

I started with the first story in this series and by damn they just keep getting better and better! I repeat, GET PUBLISHED AND TAKE OUR DAMN MONEY!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
More

Any way we can get more on monster and Ex . Future , past , or present . Love the shack series . Thanks

jneric2691jneric2691over 5 years ago
Love your story!

Can't say anymore than that!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
More is better

The more I read the more I enjoy.

tazz317tazz317over 4 years ago
I CAN FORSEE THE FUTURE WITH THIS AUTHOR

a lot of great tales and plots always with a mystery to spice up longevity. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thank you

I've just started to read your stories in the order you supplied in your biography. Thank you. Your works are wonderfully written and I can tell your wife is involved as well. Truly delightful.

Ms. Marie

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Good story. 5 stars

This is a very good story. In a way it is sad and poignant. However the fact that He still has feelings of responsibility for the children is refreshing. Anne simply made a mistake of giant proportions when she thought she could get a better life by divorcing her husband. Still she does a good job of becoming just what he needs, showing that she really did love him, and still does. What a good writer you are. Thank you.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Second reading still good and better

USMC Vietnam

Have met some similar but without redeeming quality of love for his children

Total psychopaths not all but some know how to beat psych test

Total remorseless weapon

Just point in right direction and get out of way

Sounds unrealistic

I was sometimes more scared of person (s) I was stationed with then VC/ NVA

So I really get into these stories

Keep writing

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
If They Ever Need A Place

To move to, Texas, specifically San Antonio can be a very forgiving place for the right reasons. Be pleased to have them for neighbors... We all make major mistakes in life, sometimes we can even make honest attempts at redemption like Anne. I suspect Monster would have a soft spot for family pets too. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wow

Amazing.

You have a gift mate.

Cheers from Oz.

sam456789sam456789over 4 years ago
Great series

I've read them all and like them all, but i like this one the best. It's the closest to reality.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Third or Fourth Read.

I am the guy who has trouble remembering details of a story very long. This enables me to read the same story as a new story after some time has passed since the last read. I have never read a "bad" story by Todd172. I really like this one. 5*

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Still...

You are still cranking out 5 Star stories!!! Awesome series and characters!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

A great read with a strong message (for me anyway), concerning the shattered lives, minds and bodies of so many of our brave patriotic soldiers, who are sent abroad to fight and deal with the senseless, never ending conflicts, which are created, manipulated, benefitted and profited from by the arrogant, selfish, greedy, rich and powerful elite that really rule this country and the world.

BadHusbandMikeBadHusbandMikealmost 4 years ago
Fantastic

I enjoyed all of this one, though I admit liking the ex's version better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Anne is sympathetically. She was tired of being a military wife and constantly afraid for her husband. She was overwhelmed by being a single mother most of the time. She met a guy who was not what he appeared to be and she made a terrible decision that cost her dearly. She was raped, beaten, abused and degraded horribly. Her life teeters on a precipice every day. Maybe its my own personal bias or history but I can't view Anne in any other way but sympathetic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Fascinating and somewhat dark

Even when I remember most of the details, I am drawn back to this one. This is my 3rd or 4th read and I still find it fascinating. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Different

I really liked this story. Very creative. Reminds me of the "Monster" in the story "Drive". 5 Stars! CC

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great story

I love your Shack stories. BTW, the proper spelling of “distrust” is “detritus”. Thanks for writing.

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
Multiple Readings (lost count)

After multiple readings, still a 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Please Todd172

Keep writing! Your stories are amazing.

jimjam69jimjam69about 3 years ago

Now I know Monster, another intriguing character. Another 5 star story.

Lee2012Lee2012about 3 years ago

Excellent idea and job in adding Anne’s story. Nice touch to, seemingly, add a female’s perspective f a nightmare in human form. Drawing the blame solely onto her shoukders for his lack of live for her and...his liss of humanity. Freaking awesome

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithalmost 3 years ago

Awesome! Great story and series.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
4187 Followers
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories