Moonlight Shadow Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And with remarkable restraint, if you ask meeeee." said the Chief.

Silas peered at me and said "If you had not had wounded Officers at the scene, would you still have flown in the helicopter like you did?"

I said "I don't like hypotheticals, which is what that question is. But to answer it, I very well might have. We're working our asses off trying to keep these NS-14 gangbangers out of this County. I want them to know that if they come in here to commit crimes, they will be opposed by the TCPD. And if they come to believe we'll engage them with overwhelming power, and weapons that equal or better theirs, then that's a good thing for the citizens. Peace through strength, and all the other cliches."

Silas shook his head slowly. "I was afraid you'd say that." After a pause he said "Well, I don't know how I'm going to vote. I want to support you, but it's getting out of hand, perception-wise if not actually. I also will tell you both that the Council may or may not accept whatever we find. We can find it to be a good shoot and justified, and they may come behind us and reject our findings, accept Finneran's likely dissent, and vote against you."

"We'll burn those bridges when we come toooo themmmmm." said the Chief.

"Okay." said Silas. "Thank you for coming in, gentlemen; and for your honesty and candor, Commander." We showed ourselves out.

Part 11 - Uber Alles

4:30pm, Monday, April 9th. When the Chief and I got back to Headquarters, we were met in the hallway by Captain Cindy Ross, her face somber. "Harlow has a second ad out." she said.

We went to the Chief's Conference Room. To our surprise, Chief Griswold was there. His mustaches were not twitching, which was not a good sign. Cindy used the computer to bring the DVR'd ad to the monitor.

It showed Della Harlow, as if she were talking to a reporter, saying "It is normal in a shooting incident for a Police Officer to be placed on desk duty or restricted duty while the incident is investigated."

Then the picture changed to show me with Chief Griswold, then with Daniel Allgood in his 'cowboy' garb he often wore, always showing me with the red crowbar. The man's voiceover said "But after shooting up MLK Park with a military-style helicopter, Commander Troy was not placed on leave nor restricted duty at all. In fact, when the I.G.'s investigator suggested Commander Troy be suspended, the investigator was the one relieved of his duties. And Sheriff Daniel Allgood has refused to do his duty and suspend Commander Troy."

More photos of me, usually frowning, again showing the red crowbar prominently shown. "Why aren't the Police applying the same procedures to Commander Troy that they apply to all other Officers? Why was the I.G. investigator relieved? Is Commander Troy above the law? Is he treated differently than the rest of the TCPD?"

"Hi, I'm Della Harlow." said Harlow, looking into the camera this time. "When I am Sheriff, procedures will be followed. No one will be given special treatment. Investigations will be made, and there will be no cover-ups. Racism and misogyny will be addressed, not swept under the rug. And the embarrassing paramilitary tactics will cease. I'm Della Harlow, and I approved this message, because we need a Public Safety Department, not a war machine."

"Well," I quipped, "Teresa can't complain about smears against veterans in that one."

"Don!" Cindy gasped, not appreciating my humor at that moment. "This is bad! She's not just attacking you, she's trying to undermine the TCPD and destroy our morale!"

"She's right, Crowbar." said Chief Griswold. "Even when you're cleared, and you will be, there will still be questions among the Uniformed Patrolmen that you were treated differently."

"How bad is it?" I asked. "Among the rank and file, that is."

"I don't know." said Cindy. "The Detectives are solidly behind you, as always, but they know things the Patrol Officers might not. I talked to Teresa about it before you got back. She's going to see if she can get the scuttlebutt through her people."

"If it comes down to it," said Chief Moynahan, "I'll address the Force about it, and set them right."

"So, what now?" asked Cindy.

"Captain Ross," I said, "How did May Cialis's hearing go?"

"She waived her initial hearing, which surprised me." Cindy said. "She was arraigned on the resisting arrest charge, and was bound over. No bail in light of being a murder suspect and an extreme flight risk, but there will be a new hearing on that if we don't produce something in 72 hours."

"Good." I said. "And the dirty dozen from LowCal?"

"Also being held without bail." said Cindy. "We formally told L.A. that we're holding them for now and not extraditing them. Lorena and Claire are staying for the week, if we'll have them to work with us. I of course accepted on your behalf."

"Smart Captain, you are." I said in good Jedi Master Yoda grammar. "Okay, tomorrow we can get a fresh warrant to search the Cialis home again... for the murder weapon."

"You think there's another gun in the house?" asked Chief Moynahan. "We had sonar going, and the dog sniffed around. We didn't find another gun."

"It is a matter of knowing where and how to look." I said. "Captain Ross, have Captain Croyle post guards on the property. It's not enough to monitor or sit in a car in front of the place. Officers on the front porch and in the back yard. They can sleep in shifts, as long as two are awake at all times. Go do that now."

"Wilco, sir." Cindy said. She left.

"So, Crowbar," said the Chief, "what are you going to do now?"

"With Chief Moynahan's permission," I said, "I am going to go home and pet the dog. Then I'll have supper with the kids. And then I'll pet the dog some more. And I'll think about everything that's going on, and I'll pet the dog some more."

"It's a three-dog-petting night." said Moynahan. "Go ahead and go, Mr. Crowbar." I left.

"How's he doing?" asked Griswold after I'd left.

"He held his patience well during the Board of Inquiry and the meeting with Commissioner Silas." said Moynahan. "But this is taking it's toll on him...

Part 12 - En Garde!

Tuesday, April 10th, 6:00am. Forty Police Officers were assembled in the gym for some basic defense training, weaponless and with their billy sticks. The class was normally led by Teresa Croyle, but today there was a special guest instructor: Captain Cindy Ross.

Everyone had on their armor, with Police helmets with face shields. Crowbars were not allowed; only the billy sticks. Nevertheless, Teresa and Cindy had on light body armor that was favored by motorcycle riders, and full motorcycle helmets with stronger face plating. They were using each other as examples to teach. Cindy was in all green armor and helmet, and Teresa was in red and black armor... good Wildcat colors, I would tease her whenever I saw her.

Things got quiet when the gym door opened and in walked a man wearing all red armor with a modicum of black trim, and a red motorcycle helmet. The red crowbar in his hand might have given away that it was Your Iron Crowbar. Chief Moynahan came in with me, also wearing his Police helmet, as head and face protection was required of loddy-doddy-everybody.

As Cindy was talking to the students, Teresa came over. "Gentlemen, why are y'all here? Not that we're not happy to have you, of course."

"I want the Commander to watch and evaluate the Officccerrrrrrs." said Chief Moynahan. And indeed, he had called me in for that stated purpose. But I knew something was up. Just not what.

Officers were paired off and began engaging in drills. Cindy and Teresa were moving through the ranks, giving tips here and there. The Chief had moved to the bleachers where the students had been sitting, and I was nearly in the middle of the gym as I watched. And then I sensed something, a presence. Just as I turned, I heard a yell:

"DEFEND YOURSELF, TROY!!"

To be continued.