All Comments on 'Mr E and the Guilty Conscience'

by Tx Tall Tales

Sort by:
  • 478 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 20 hours ago

Love the concept -- probably because I feel a lot like him a lot of the time. Would love to see more with this MC.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

Very entertaining and clever story. Very very enjoyable and quite subtle. I believe he didn't know and is on the spectrum so misses out on a lot of social cues etc. But it could be read that he does know and is playing a part with his friends and wife and its written in a way to play with the readers too. I really like this type of story that makes me think. Great read and highly recommended. BardnotBard

AnonymousAnonymous15 days ago

It probably deserved a 3 rather than the 4 I gave it, but I read it as a comedy of errors, as if the MC were a Jerry Lewis character, because no one that's not sectioned could possibly be that oblivious.

Sparks59Sparks5926 days ago

Awesome story! Loved it and the characters.

mariverzmariverzabout 2 months ago

Anonymous2 months ago

Wtf really clueless? This is one of those oblivious cuckold in the making. Her friend telling him to forgive them, just emotionally manipulated him but him being oblivious didn't know. Annoys the hell out of me, how can a mature adult be this oblivious granted he said he was not socially inept but a man can't be this stupid

Hermano, cómo te enfadas por una sátira....una ficción humorística

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Sometime the most effective action. Is no action at all.

SarahwithloveSarahwithlove3 months ago

Well I don't think he was clueless, he was calm; stoic, and he had a heart that beat for one woman. He also had a presence. You could feel it, like the chill down your spine, if his gaze fell upon you.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Was there any more in a similar vein?

Ace

DeanofMeanDeanofMean3 months ago

The Mr Magoo of loving wives, lol I fully enjoyed that I am nosy I always want to know more, but I think you left it about right enough to know what's going on but not the starker details. though 6 monthds down the road how many times can he get lucky?

mcrr2225mcrr22253 months ago

That was great! Definitely needs a follow-up!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Wtf really clueless? This is one of those oblivious cuckold in the making. Her friend telling him to forgive them, just emotionally manipulated him but him being oblivious didn't know. Annoys the hell out of me, how can a mature adult be this oblivious granted he said he was not socially inept but a man can't be this stupid.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Sue came across as nice but very insecure, maybe a little slutty despite having the 3-date rule (like it matters if she can have 3 dates in 1 day), and interested in wealth a fair bit - she asked about it on their first date christ. Insecurities like hers will often manifest as a need to feel desired and wanted by others and we know where that leads, don't we LW readers? Clearly something did happen or had the potential to happen but nothing manifested, though the details are left out. Was it some touching, maybe kissing? She says she never touched another, but can we really believe anything she says when we know something did happen and she hasn't told Trey about it?

At some point through the third page I was starting to think something went down between Sue and the other guys. Nothing that sexual but definitely talks of something along those lines. Everyone thinks Trey knows and wants some kind of revenge, but he's clueless. I still think Sue is likely to cheat in future because she hasn't dealt with her issues, but perhaps her fear will keep her in check.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

He really was a clueless idiot, still, it was probably for the best.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Excellent story. Unclear how far they went though. Not too far I expect. An added bonus would have been a couple less harmful accidents caused by Trey, which they then interpreted as intentional by him.

JustSomeWordsJustSomeWords5 months ago

Very well written, entertaining story. Reminded me of Peter Seller’s movie role as Chancery Gardiner. I think I liked your story better. *5*

deependerdeepender6 months ago

Wow.. Not weird, just old-fashioned fantastic. Thank you.

rbloch66rbloch667 months ago

I think I know what went on, but frankly, I don’t have a clue. It’s interesting to see how keeping quiet could be useful.

nixroxnixrox7 months ago

5 stars - I really like the this story.

Being a military veteran, I can understand how everything in this story could actually happen. I mean every single one of us were trained in all the ways there are available to kill our fellow human beings. Just because you may have served in dangerous places, does not mean you actually were involved in any conflict. So many people just assume you were there, so obviously in their mind you were involved. The real truth is way beyond anything they can imagine. I just never talk about it.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Interesting story to say the least , the poor bugger didn’t have a clue . HOWEVER he certainly had them buffaloed .

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I really enjoyed it, and gave it 5 stars. At least he wasn't the only one who was lost at the end. I suspected that she was cheating on him, but there was no actual proof. Yes, she made some faces when things were mentioned, but that was it.

szewcowszewcow10 months ago

Great story! Love it!

mariverzmariverz10 months ago

no me acordaba quien había escrito este adorable corto ni cual era su nombre.

si pudiera le daría 10 estrellas a esta maravilla de LW.

lo mejor.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

I loved this and he could have been a Forest Gump for not knowing what was going on yet always landing on his feet. Your Trey was awesome to the everyday man. Thanks for the fantastic entertainment.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x10 months ago

TTT has apparently retired, from writing (still waiting for the continuation/ending of "A Town Without Honor!"), but a follow-up with the other two couples and Sue, with the other wives reaming them out for whatever they did or were thinking of doing.

Just_WordsJust_Words10 months ago

This really is one of the most original and creative stories here and wonderfully told.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A lot of talk to cover the fact that Sue is a cheating slut looking for an opportunity. She will find it.

za_robionyza_robiony11 months ago

Clueless ? Or not

MarkT63MarkT6312 months ago

Should have been under humor and satire...

blackknight314blackknight314about 1 year ago

Good job, thanks for sharing your work!

jujudailanjujudailanabout 1 year ago

Way better than any comedy I have ever seen on tv

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well when I read other comments I found out I was a clueless idiot. From all the descriptions & knowing it was just their first year together I didn’t catch on to her (planned?) cheating.

His life was laid out interestingly and informatively.

I spent a year & a half in a small site at the north eastern tip of Iceland with a hundred & ten other sailors. This story was totally different than mine because no women were present.

I really had trouble picturing her as a cheater because she had been presented as being his true love.

Like I said, I’m clueless about love even after 50+ years of marriage.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A good chuckle. Could be a good sitcom if the actors could take it to the edge without falling over!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Loved it. Had to read it twice in a row, on the second time just reading the "now" parts to really pick up the subtle details. Fun read, nice work!

AngelRiderAngelRiderabout 1 year ago

Too long and meaningless

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good a writing, guy is a clueless putz though. Might be cool to develop the story more to when he figures it out.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Oh I liked that, so much of a change to have something that didn’t end up being she did / he did.

RGRollRGRollover 1 year ago

Great imagination, I knew the plot, but the main character was clueless. The time shifts wewe a bit confusing at first but did make sense later. Im still laughing.

ribnitinribnitinover 1 year ago

Just as enjoyable. On the second reading. I added one more start to my rating. I can't add any more

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Too perfect for description. Wonderful humor filled tale. I'm about as clueless , until I walked into a motel I was thinking of buying and out walked my soon to be divorced wife and her PA. Security cams caught her blowing him in the back parking lot. Prenup gold.

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

Hilarious!!!!!!!

5/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Moving back and forth in time created a little confusion at times. Really good storyline and there seems you researched it well. A high percentage of cheaters do so just because there is opportunity, as a counselor I've learned that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I love the word play. It extremely creative. What bothers me is it's not clear what kind if cheating occurred. Was it just excessive flirting, groping, kissing, more??? Plus, when did it occur? I want to give it a 5 for the clever wordplay alone, but the unclear cheating is bringing it down to a 4.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

[She looked up at me. "Only you, Trey. I swear. I've been with nobody but you since we met, and I'll never even look at another man. You have to believe me. They never really stood a chance."]

=== while it is clear the three had something planned that had gotten out of control (a threesome, no doubt), I choose to believe that Mystery snuffed it out without having a clue, and that Sue has had a real change of heart. Dale and Mark heavily flirted with her and she was getting swept away. Sad that it only took a year of marriage to get to that point, but I think all three of them have a healthy amount of fear and newfound respect for Mystery. Weird because Sue says he is a god in the bedroom and completes her at all levels. Must have been a twisted fantasy from younger days. Of course who knows 20 years from now.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 1 year ago

I really loved it. 5-stars. I'm not going to try and guess why Sue was contemplating cheating on Mystery. I'll leave that to the others to pontificate. I just enjoyed it because it was a fun read. The author was right, it could have been in Humor, Non-Erotic or LW. Thanks for the entertainment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

To everyone saying there is no information given about why she would cheat on her husband, I would encourage you to go back and reread the story. She comes on incredibly strong to him purely because he's the local "mystery" that no one else has been able to crack, then parades her success in front of her social group. She's constantly throwing parties, showing an intense need for attention and social validation. Finally, and most damning, she says during their first sexual encounter that at 26 years old she has had "only" eight other lovers. She's a slut! All the characterization you need to know why she would (and will in the future, once she figures her husband out) cheat on him is right there in the story. Very well done, I can relate to the cluelessness his social awkwardness creates as well! I loved it!

Starwolf1961Starwolf1961over 1 year ago

It probably should have been a little clearer where they were headed. Maybe something in their background they made the liaison more apparent. Still most readers would catch on. A tad bit more exposition would have left the reader feel more "comfortable" in the reading, as if they share a secret with the author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Hard to understand, confusing as to what happened between them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I agree with a_reader_from_germany, this is actually a really dark, sad tale. Sue and the two husbands had clear intent for at least one threesome. Only fear pulled them out of it. That is depressing as for Sure she will eventually normalize that fear and cheat behind his back. What is frustrating is why? They are only married a year. Financially they are well off. Probably plan on kids soon. He is a fantastic lover. Wtf?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Reading it a second time, it is pretty clear that Sue and Dale and Mark had already made plans for a threesome or something equivalent, prior to this 1 year anniversary party. Sur is uncomfortable from the very beginning. Seems unlikely that their 'talking' only happened during the course of the party. Even after being a bit scared twice, Sue planned to talk to the two other husbands before the MC threw the knife to get their intention. While Marie is correct that nothing had yet happened seems pretty clear that they planned to do somand this was not a harmless flirtation. Read Marie's dialog. She is furious with all of them. Also Dale while shocked by the Annie dessert comment didn't immediately balk harshly, implying that they indeed had something planned. Hence I feel sorry for the MC being so naive as his wife really was planning to cheat. And her talk of a one man woman is bulllshit. In fact that was an intended double entendre of that statement, as she planned to fuck two men (not the MC). That basically.clinches the threesome. Really sad that within a year of marriage she is looking for kinky strange. Their marriage is almost certainly doomed. And this despite their wonderful connection and love making early on. Despite her protestations, I think the MC will come.to regret it. Sad. If that is not the interpretation the author wanted then their needed to be more closure than just Marie talking with him at the docks (to which the MC is oblivious).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A little more information would have been nice. Obviously Sue and the two husbands had been flirting and talking about something like a threesome. But there is no information why. She has only been married for a year. Seemed to love her husband. And thought he was a sex god because of his past "training". Why the heck should we risk that. We also don't know if these were discussions that happened before the party or during the party at the start. And heck it is their one year anniversary. We also don't know to what extent. Marie only figured it out by seeing Sue's reaction. We have Sue's attempt to talk to them alone for a bit when they are horsing around. It is creative and well written but their is a level of incompleteness that makes it hard or fully enjoy. Feel sorry for the MC.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Agreed, ya did good. Introverted people like myself don't see the painfully obvious until it's too late. Me wife cheated on me for 2 years before I caught them all due to a detour, I saw their cars in a motel parking lot. I waited on the hood of his car until they walked out together. He got both knees broken and I got 90 days in jail. It was worth it. She left town on her own, not taking anything but her clothes. I still love her.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story, one of the very few that I wish were longer. You wrote well, creatively, you did research into what you wrote about. Don't sweat over the comments, I try to be objective and point out the good. I've never written anything to be judged in public, just like so many drooling knuckle draggers that only want to put people down for their efforts and talent and also bravery for having things judged by the public. Ya did good!

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersalmost 2 years ago

Trey isn't stupid, naive maybe, I suspect he's neurodivergent, might explain his lack of social skills and graces.

Good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very funny. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Trey the cuck and Sue his skank.....overdramatuc shit

seafarer20seafarer20almost 2 years ago

'Forrest Gump' or 60cents in the $? An IT guru admired by 5 cycles of Antarctic colleagues?

"Leave a little brains, Ok? I don't have that much to spare."

No kidding!

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 2 years ago

Just through reading it for the second time. I pitty the guy for a number of reasons. Foremost because he believes in having a loving wife and good friends. But it's obvious that he is just the meal ticket to his wife, and if she doesn't cheat that's just because she and her wannabe lovers are afraid of our hero.

I'd also liked to have known how far the prospective adulterers went, it seems wifey was about to indulge in threesomes, at least. If you process all the sometimes just hinted at information, this really is a dark, even somewhat depressing tale.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

One of the best stories on here 5 stars

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyalmost 2 years ago

Peter Sellers in the movie “Being There.” Simple minded man stumbles into complex goings on and is presumed to be wisdom personified. Hilarity follows. Sound familiar?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Easy 5... made into a zero.

GumpershnickalGumpershnickalalmost 2 years ago

great story, one of my favorite. every time I read it I appreciate the nuances a little more, would have been so easy to heavy hand the theme

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 2 years ago

That was an interesting piece of writing. I don't imagine it was easy to write along the edge and between the pieces like that with each statement having two meanings, and yet it read like reality. That's is an excellent job of writing and a fun story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wild story and so creative. I feel that for such a man of the world, that he was a little too slow than he should be characterized. I enjoyed this crazy ride. Thanks.

pugg6963pugg6963almost 2 years ago

Aspergers and love usually don't mix too well. But, I enjoyed the ride here.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

great plot

but need more solid closure

AmunRa218AmunRa218about 2 years ago

Have read this multiple times. Never fails to provide a good laugh each time. Great entertainment!! Thanks!!

CruachanCruachanabout 2 years ago

My first TX story and not my last but as someone else commented I will spread out my future reading. I liked the semi cliff hanger at the end. Fairly placed in Loving Wives. Keep on with the good work.

pickles7847pickles7847about 2 years ago

I didn’t get this

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveabout 2 years ago

Mighty fine story. You are one of our favorite writers, so we tend to spread the stories out and not read them all at once. Something to look forward to. 5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You wrote a good and creative story that I enjoyed deeply. You did capture the boredom of serving in those horrible places. I avoided the booze, read constantly and worked out in all my spare time. My only involvement with married women was oral, I wasn't messing up anyone's family, and opportunity was constant there. It does take a toll on your social skills and i still spend too much time alone, at least my wife says so.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Genius plot. :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Loved it! I was chuckling all the way through. Nice idea, well written and a nice pace and flow. I don't usually like too much present/past chopping and changing, but you had to do it that way to make it work, and it did.

Many thanks!

MikodaMikodaabout 2 years ago

Well written but didn't like it. After going through most stories here on cuck/wimp central I'm still looking for a story where the man does not wimp out. It is obvious the Sue character is untrustworthy. They do not have children so now is the time to end it and kick the tramp out. Women like her will cheat.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

4 page story, 3 pages too long. Could've done without all the filler.

usaretusaretabout 2 years ago

Nobody, but nobody, is that stupid!

Pjam1968Pjam1968about 2 years ago

For me it lacks of closure, I didn’t like him being so clueless.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 2 years ago

reread for me, great writing, thanks

CunnyLinguistTooCunnyLinguistTooabout 2 years ago

Quite the story, it really leaves you wondering just how much he really does know. Mystery is a perfect name I think...no one really knows what's going on in his mind. Very well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good off-the-wall tale. A fun story.

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Yes people that dense are alive and well, Im one of the many. She had been cheating for almost 2 years before I caught on. I never hit her but she jumped through a glass window to get away from her lover and my fight. Hes wa a club gulf pro and I own a small oil company, having worked my way up and into starting my company. Yes I got a divorce, broken eye socket and broken shoulder blade, he got a broken wrist and the tibia in his left leg shattered. I still dont know where I went wrong with her. This was a well written story, clear, fun and entertaining, thank you for a good read.

UnclenoodleUnclenoodleover 2 years ago

Liked it very much. I think it's in the right category. Nice how just because he's an awkward and quiet guy everyone misunderstands everything he says and does. Would love to see more of this type of character

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great job/ Would be interesting if Trey got clued in some time and see the reaction.

norcal62norcal62over 2 years ago

NewOldAuthor read it umpteen times. Bumped it up. My re-reading bumped it down for the deliberate "mysteries."

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 2 years ago

What? Trey still doesn't understand. Like that he is so quiet they all think he is a "mystery Man"

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very Interesting? Loads of double entandres and assumptions, good thing nothing actually happened.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 2 years ago

Excellent tale, well told.

OldNewAuthorOldNewAuthorover 2 years ago

Reread for the umpteenth time, still gives me a chuckle , bumped score from 4 to 5. Thanks for writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

One of my favorite stories, read it more than thrice. Only wish the hero had more brains to know what's going on around him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Loved it, hope this continues on

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 2 years ago
Excellent initiative!

I love the premise. Silence speaks volumes and removing all doubt when you start speaking.

Interesting, being taught all winter in Antarctica.

Entirely possible. Highly improbable, however. I'm very smart but often clueless about some things. As I get older, the realization of what I know and don't became more obvious to my wife and me.

Very well done!

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

Hate these where the husbands a fool.....nothing entertaining about it.

andyinozandyinozalmost 3 years ago

Brilliant. I love the way that you wove that story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Good story but there isn't a sane man alive that wouldn't know what was really happening lol

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Forrest Gump is a GENIUS ... comparatively speaking.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
8th reading

It is still great. And I am still waiting for your follow-up story. You Promised!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A. B. C. Accuracy. Important to make the reader believe that attributes of the story are real, or given descriptions that are of real things, subjects, and/or places. Brevity. Short stories capture and keep the attention of even the most affected A.D.D. sufferer, and yet is still able to execute the mind into imagining a running film in time to the dialogue of the story. Clarity. Not muddling sections of the tale in the more of over-production. If you can read a story, imagine it as a film or, if multi-part/chapter mini-series, then we have a winner in my book.

This is one story I so thoroughly enjoy, I have read it multiple times, just to find nuance that I might have missed. High Praise and Laud unto you, good sir!

BbiguyBbiguyalmost 3 years ago

Great to read this stupidly comical story again, this is my 3rd reading over a couple of years and still find it worth 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great writing. Portrayed him as loveable idiot beautifully.

But I prefer vandemonium1 and FTDS protagonists

jtwheels

nattxnnattxnabout 3 years ago

LOVED IT and as a white hat that has been on the ice it was great

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTx Tall Tales@Tx Tall Tales
The only thing constant is change. A new State, a new City, a new Job, and new Stories (coming soon).