All Comments on 'My 6-Month Thailand Sojourn'

by seannelson

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
duddle146duddle146over 17 years ago
So Informative!

In a sea of sex and degradation, it's so wonderful to find a beautiful informative literary Gem such as this Thai Report.

How enjoyable to learn something about the Thai culture. The people sound sincere, warm and very down to earth. Writer, thank you for taking the time to write this report.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Minor Remarks

I have lived and taught (not English, in Thailand, further south than Petchaburi) for about 6 years. The student who died in the motorcycle accident (a way too common event) would have had a funeral that lasted at least 3 days - though typically only family and very close friends would attend for more than a part of one day.

Most of the rest of your article was spot on. Personally

I drive at ~160kph (~100mph) whenever traffic and conditions permit. I don't actually know what the (open road) speed limits are, but whatever they are, they're never enforced...

Since I live in the south, my comments on the coup may be based upon rather biased opinions - everyone in this region loved it (outsiders may want to view it as just another form of a change of government) - overall, I'd guess that the majority of Thais approve - and stories abound of the ex-PM intending a coup of his own, to oust the monarchy, and perhaps create a dictatorship, which, if true, would have caused far more problems than the military takeover, which, aside from a day of missing TV broadcasting, was essentially a non-event.

For others reading this, Thailand is a great place to visit,

just try to avoid remaining entirely in Bankgok, Pattaya, and Phuket, and see some of the rest of the country (north, south, east, or better, all three regions).

TheJourneymanTheJourneymanabout 14 years ago
Nice

Just wanted to thank you for your story, very refreshing to read, enjoyed it and found it to be informative....

oldMasseuseGuyoldMasseuseGuyalmost 3 years ago

Nice Story, I met a Thailand lady and was amazed to find she must hunt mushrooms, fish and raise various fruits and vegetables for her family to eat,

She works hard almost every day and will not accept. any help from me.

I am so impressed by her independent nature.

The family has no TV and this is in the 21st century. She has a phone for anything electronic.

Just thought I would comment on your story because I now am intrigued by a country I never gave 2 minutes of my time for 72 years and now that I have met a couple of Thai People online I am supremely impressed with their spirit and independence

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous