All Comments on 'My Best Friend Emily Ch. 07'

by FerdGerfel

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
Hiding_in_PortlandHiding_in_Portlandover 8 years ago
Sad.

But you could see it coming. Very well written, even if I hated it. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I knew it!

I stopped reading at the first page. Lisa deserved better than she got from her so called husband. I only wish she was a better shot. I hated it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Really

7 chapters to get us to an anti-Christian anti-gun editorial?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Meh

I really liked the first 6 chapters of your story. But I really didn't like your choices for how to end it. The gun rant in the middle was really over the top, and that's coming from someone who has never fired a gun in his life. I can respect your choices to move the story in a dark direction, but this was over the top.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
ruined a good yarn

did not need the politics included in this story, good story until you went off the rails.

FerdGerfelFerdGerfelover 8 years agoAuthor
Thanks for the feedback

I always want to write thought-provoking stories and I've always lamented the fact that I never got the comments that other writers seemed to get. I can cross that off my to-do list now! If you find this story overly preachy or political I guess that's your point of view. I tend to avoid such stories myself but once this idea formed I could hardly rest until I got it out of me. Thank you for the feedback and hopefully if I write anything else it will be a light-hearted fuck-fest.

e4glesporte4glesportover 8 years ago

I enjoyed reading all seven chapters. I think chapter six was probably my favorite as the characters grew deeper and felt more real. I didn't mind the interview scene, it was well written and seemed true to character even if it's not a popular opinion here. Keep sharing your work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It really just came out of no where.

It hit pretty close to come too. It just felt like it came out of left field a bit. I wish it would of ended in a happy way, but it worked the way you finished it as well.

It was really sad, and I'm sure I'll think about it for a few days.

I didn't mind the politics that were placed into the story, as that seems like something a reporter would ask about.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
More than just erotic fiction

I have never been compelled to leave a comment on this site, but I have to do so after reading this series - and especially this chapter.

It was brilliant; well edited, clearly proofed. Although I share Emily's indifference to 'mud' kink, the scene, as with all of your sex scenes, was very well written. You somehow managed to jump quickly into the steamy scenes in the first chapter and yet strike a balance between them and the wider plot. Most importantly, you made us really care about the characters: something many of the writers on this site struggle to do. Lisa's impending suicide was a genuine weight on the reader: I had a knot in my stomach from her eerie silence onwards.

Now for some solidarity. As an interested observer of US culture, with a European (UK) perspective, I want to thank you for choosing to write about contentious subjects. The lasting psychological damage caused by fundamentalist religious beliefs is particularly well introduced. Lisa's rape (I see no other way of phrasing it) of her college roommate, the attempted rationalisations, and the suggested comparison with clerical abuse, were thought provoking extensions of this theme. The manner of her suicide too was well handled: as the previous commenter said it came out of nowhere. It was instantaneous and final: where, as you rightly point out, a knife, a hammer, etc would not have been. Personally, I was left horrified by her actions and deeply saddened that she felt that to be her only solution. Again, you made me care about the character.

In the UK, despite gang shootings in certain areas of a handfull of major cities, gun crime is largely unthinkable: nobody here would ever anticipate coming into contact with firearms at home or work, or even on the street - we are largely uncconcerned with that threat. I think the outside world is in disbelief at the unwillingness of US politicians to update regulations (introduce ANY regulations) for your Second Amendment rights in spite of a majority of public support. That you people can purchase a device designed solely for killing, more easily than you can register to vote or obtain a driving license, appears absolutely insane. That the reccurent murder of schoolchildren, or the number of accidental deaths and injuries due to stupid behaivour and insufficient training, can be so blithely dismissed does make us question the mental competence of your nation on this issue. I hope the status quo changes, and I hope that those who read this series may be induced to reflect on their own beliefs in this regard. The fact that you have people trying to silence or dismiss the comments made in this chapter is a good thing: we dismiss that which cuts to the bone.

My only issues (fairly minor ones too) are with the ending. I understand that Emily is a selfish character at times, but she is not without feelings or empathy. I don't think that she would have initiated a sexual liason in the hospital so soon after Lisa's death, or failed to notice Joe's distress when she did - especially in light of her tender and unwavering presence at his sickbed. Could you have achieved the same effect through him refusing to continue his intimacies (kisses, loving looks and conversation, embraces, etc) with her, rather than a sexual encounter? And might this have influenced the final scene: again, I don't think she would have suggested another three-way relationship quite so soon, nor he "made love" - might this have been the place to reintroduce some of those intimacies without necessarily going all-in? Finally, do they forgive Lisa for her actions? You leave it unsaid. Certainly Joe still loved her, and came to understand her better, and Emily's desire to read the diaries hints that she might want to try, but it is unclear.

As I say, these are minor quibbles/questions. I very much enjoyed reading your work and have added it to favourites. I look forward to reading your future endevours and hopefully something starring Joe and Emily again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Saw it coming

Good story saw the ending coming early in the last chapter...

You pushed your anti gun political agenda too far !

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
What the fuck?!

This came out of nowhere, is a huge and unwelcome change in tone, flanderizes the characters, is pure shock value for the sake of being shocking and the fact that Emily has sex with Joe and later suggests another threeway relationship so soon after losing his Wife of six years is just outright sickening. And if that wasn’t enough, you had to hammer in some Liberal, anti-Christian, gun control propagada in there too.

I loved this story at first. It was good to jerk off to and to read as a story but it should’ve stayed as a drama/porno without you having to alienate your readers by turning a Literotica story into a Shakespearean tragedy.

If you want my suggestion, I’d suggest making an alternate ending where Joe and Emily find out about what Lisa has been planning and talk her down from it. That can be dramatic, if not outright tear-jerking but without the incredibly jarring shift in tone that this chapter has.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Don’t get political and denigrate those who are not in lockstep with your view

Guns do shoot people if the person holding it aims and pulls the trigger but it will not shoot on its own. Check the number of killings in the cities with the most stringent gun laws.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I have read this story, and this series, several times over the years. It gets me every time. I rarely rate stories, and almost never comment, but I wanted to say a few things this time.

To me, the plot twist, while shocking every time (even when I at least partly remember it from a previous read), is a large part of what makes the story work. It makes it interesting, makes it stand out from many of the other stories here. There are some real, potentially (mostly) believable characters here, who find themselves in a very strange situation, and they try to work their way through it. They each struggle, in their own ways, with what the situation means to them. Sometimes, their actions are unexpected.

Sure, some things are also predictable - of course the catfight turns sexual, of course Joe and Emily end up together in the end. If some things gone differently, they might have found a way to make things work as a threesome, but it would be less believable - Lisa's inability to come to terms with her sexuality, upbringing, and the situation she found herself in seems much more believable to me. To me, the strength of the series is in the diversity of the characters and their interactions.

It is unfortunate that some people seem to have latched onto the bit about Joe's feelings about having a gun, after the shooting, and seem to entirely dismiss the rest of the story because of it. I am a gun owner, but if I had gone through something like you describe, I might not want to have guns around either. To me, the reporter was, throughout the interview, trying to sensationalize parts of the story, and Joe was continually deflecting him. Maybe his statement about school shootings was intended to be a political statement about the need for gun control (and there is nothing wrong with a character in a story expressing a political viewpoint), but maybe Joe was just pointing out that worse things have happened without prompting any (significant) changes in gun laws, so why should a suicide/attempted murder be expected to be a catalyst for such a change. Personally, I read it the latter way. Not my favorite part of the story, by a longshot, but not a reason to completely reject what is otherwise, overall, a good (if disturbing) and well-written story.

djripdjripover 1 year ago

Well. This was certainly something! You put a complex emotional event in and made the story feel serious, very well done. It also made the erotic aspects in this chapter feel incongruous. It felt like the story had become something more important than that, and so when those elements appeared amid these darker themes, they felt a little out of place. This chapter was challenging and interesting, not arousing, in my opinion. Of course joe felt that way, too. There's some criticism of Emily and her behavior built into the narrative. I'm having a complex reaction to this story! I hate what happened, but things like that do happen, and you've written a compelling exploration of this messy (emotionally messy dammit!) situation.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous