All Comments on 'My Chevy Van'

by Candy_Kane54

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
MaonaighMaonaighalmost 2 years ago
And a damned good idea was sparked...

Excellent short story, Candy, with a perfect bitter-sweet ending, totally plausible. It's only when I read the occasional story like this that I remember just how big your country is. Over here, Sam's journey to her new life (say, east to west) would have taken at most a few hours. Anyway, I loved the story, all five stars worth of it.

MigbirdMigbirdalmost 2 years ago

So glad you shared more with Sam. This richly detailed piece is an enjoyably erotic while poignant story — so much like your other pieces in Virginia’s world. You tell us that you may continue to “follow” Sam; please do so, she is an intriguing character.

BillyslateBillyslatealmost 2 years ago

Nice Cute Story

I really liked the Glory🎉 character in My Chevy Van. To me, she was actually a stronger personality than Sam. Maybe I perceived her as stronger based on her life style choices, which obviously carried the serious risks of a woman hitch hiking alone.

Maybe you can reunite Glory with Sam in the future!

CeVin_ChienElleCeVin_ChienEllealmost 2 years ago

Another bittersweet winner, with characters that have a lot of potential. I'm tempted to try and figure out my "six degrees of Virginia," now.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Nice story. A bit of constructive criticism: You write primarily in the past tense but have trouble staying there. For example, if you are in the past tense, you don’t write ‘tomorrow,’ you should write something along the lines of ‘the next day.’

A good example is the last sentence of the second paragraph. To stay in the past tense, you should have written: “That night I had planned to make Kingman, AZ, and had just left Flagstaff, AZ, an hour earlier (or before).”

Finding a good editor willing to help you clean up these issues will make your work so much better.

WesleyWPWesleyWPalmost 2 years ago

I gave a girl a ride in my wagon

Now she crawled in and took control

She was tired as her mind was draggin

And I said get some sleep-and dream of rock and roll.

Like a picture she was laying there

And moonlight dancing off her hair

She woke up and took me by the hand

She's gonna love me in my Chevy van

And that's alright with mei

lc69hunterlc69hunteralmost 2 years ago

Damn! That was good, and heartfelt

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

More!! Sam and Glory need to be together.

Slurpy29Slurpy29almost 2 years ago

I second Ic69hunter’s comments. This is a great read. Although you could feel they had different paths in life for that one moment in time they had a true relationship. Well done CK!

PS: You got me on the Brown Derby beer selection. Never had the opportunity to try it. However, since you brought into the story it must be good.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I love it. It had sex, love and that feeling of loss. I even have experience with Chevy vans of the '70s. Thank you.

BaelinythBaelinythalmost 2 years ago

Couldn't make it past 1/3 of the first page. Repetition after repetition after repetition. The windshield wiper to wipe the windshield? Or that she was looking for a new job 10 times in 4 sentences?

No offense but the part seemed to have been written by a 10 year old describing their summer vacation.

I have read all your stories and liked them. I also know that sometimes you like to repeat yourself within a sentence or two. But this one here is ... Maybe find someone to proofread? I am sure the quality of the story is on par with all the others.

The quality of the writing is not though.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Best romance story i have read in awhile. It was bitter sweet. I hope we can get a 2nd or maybe 3rd part to this story. Does Sam find love? Maybe glory shows up some months or years later and is ready to settle down?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

never heard of anyone buying a bottle of water in the 70's.

Cindy1001Cindy1001almost 2 years ago

Very good! It felt as if I was on that road myself.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyalmost 2 years ago

Lovely little romance ...... every moment human beings searching for exact such a soulmate having a blind understanding with ..,..being young means searching endlessly until becoming older and then all those passed possibilities to settle down coming back to surface ....: both Sam and glory will search 🔍 for the perfect partner hopefully find them

Lovely and your roadmapping or gas station description or the fine wording for places or happenings makes your tales so wonderful

shayneoneshayneonealmost 2 years ago

well done makes me think look forward to more be well a fan shayne

Nerdyqueen94Nerdyqueen94almost 2 years ago

As always I loved it. Your stories often have a sad note or touch of reality really that just grabs the heart in a vise grip. Thank you.

Candy_Kane54Candy_Kane54over 1 year agoAuthor

to Anonymous 1 - I hope I fixed the tense mistakes properly

to Baelinyth - I hope I fixed the issues you had with the story. I'll try to do a better job of editing in the future

to Anonymous 5 - Perrier, Evian, San Pellegrino, etc. were all available for purchase in the '70s in glass bottles

dmallorddmallordover 1 year ago

A beautiful story. Somewhat maudlin, still it was wonderfully told. Given all the directions and descriptions I felt as though I was along for the ride in your Chevy. Definitely has a five-star rating in my book. Yes, I could have done with fewer descriptions of turn-by-turn directions; however, I was okay with that. Those could have been toned down a tad but then it is your story, not mine or an editor's either as someone suggests in the comments.

It's fine by me. My writing is also filled with things I've missed and comments have let me know that. I've used them to edit the stories as it seems you are doing. We grow in writing by ... writing more. Learning to write is just like a programmer's iterative process.

I'll add you to my favorites and read more of your stories. Thank you for this one - my first reading of your work.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCandy_Kane54@Candy_Kane54
*** IN MEMORIAM *** 13JUN23 - It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Maonaigh had passed on 11JUN3. I hadn't expected it since he had just written me 06JUN23 about his next lesbian story he was working on. Apparently he had been quite sick for some time. His body was...