My Girl Next Door

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
B_Bailey
B_Bailey
46 Followers

Jenny, that is the baby's name, settled in OK but it took Kim about a week to feel comfortable there. Jenny did ask a few times about her daddy but I told her he had to go away for a while. He'll be back and that placated the little girl. Kim on the other hand was worried. Since her bruising was finally clearing up she went back to work almost two weeks later. She had an understanding head nurse so all was good at work for her.

David on the other hand tried everything he could do to find them during that time period. I made sure that was not going to happen. All my neighbors knew me and also knew something was afoul so they all pitched in and made sure Kim and Jenny were safe. They all had my phone number at work. Cell phones were just coming out so, no I did not have one yet. I did have a beeper though.

Jimbo was just about to put our plan into action to set David up. I had to get him completely out of the picture. Turns out he did not really need our help because he would do himself in without us. He got out of jail and spent a few days trying to find the girls. He first went to the Barnhard's house but Pop sent the boy packing fast. He tried her brothers and sister but was met with some resistance in the form of two different gauges of shot guns. Ricky told me he could move pretty fast when he stared down the business end of his shotgun. It seemed as if he almost gave up and started doing his drugs again. By now Jimbo was watching him closely. David was caught by our town's finest by the end of the second week trying to make a score by selling the drugs to Jimbo that he thought he wanted. Working with the police department proved to be a good idea because they caught him in the act. Busted, jailed, charges filed and bail denied everything was coming together nicely. The best part of it all was that Jenny did not have to see her daddy escorted away in stainless steel bracelets.

When I got home from all those after hours activities I filled Kim in on what happened. Of course she started crying again. I did not know if they were tears of joy, of relief or of sadness but I believed they were a combination of everything. During the three weeks that Kim and Jenny had been staying with me little Jenny had started crawling up in my lap at night to fall asleep. I like that little girl and I was glad she would not have to put up with David anymore or at least for the time being.

I left for work the following Monday morning and expected a less than eventful day. I could never have been so wrong in my life. Somehow David had escaped and was on the prowl looking for his wife and kid. The police was looking for him and informed me that now he had a jail break warrant out for his arrest. That would add a lot of mandatory time once he was found again and finally goes to trial. I left work early. I had to make sure the girls were OK.

Somehow David's jail cell had been left unlocked. Personally, I did not believe it to be a set-up but Marion nor was I going to try to prove that one. They did not have those new style cells that locked automatically when they were closed, just the old fashioned ones that you had to use the key on to lock or unlock. Anyway David quickly figured out his cell was not locked and he took advantage of the situation. Since rounds were every other hour or so, he was able to slip out as soon as the guard got out of sight and out the back door lickety split. Whereabouts unknown.

My brother Marion was the one that called me. "Beetle, look, David somehow escaped today. We do not know where he is nor do we know what he is capable of doing, but I suggest you get home and get Kim and Jenney away from here for the time being. If you need somewhere to go then go up to the hunting cabin. I am pretty sure you and the girls will be safe there. Keep in touch every evening and I'll fill you in on what is happening."

"Look Marion, I have never run from a fight and I do not intend to run now" I told him.

"Beetle I am not thinking of you. I am thinking of Kim and Jenny. There is no telling what he will do if he finds them with you. We all know it is all innocent but try and tell that to David. You know he will not be happy about his wife and kid being with you." After a short pause he asked "Look do you still have the pistol dad gave you when you joined the Army? If you do, take it. You might need it."

After I explained things to Kim she made a phone call to her work and they granted the necessary time off. We told Jenny we were going camping. Her eyes lit up so big they looked like saucers. We packed a few things or at least what we thought we would need for a few days and headed out for the two hour drive to the camp. By the time we arrived both Kim and Jenny was asleep and dark was just beginning to fall.

The next morning after taking inventory of what supplies we had and what we would need, I went to town to stock up. I also stopped by the Sheriff's office. We have known him most of our lives. He was a big ole teddy bear unless you crossed the line of the law.

"Good morning Sheriff Frank" I said when I entered the sheriff's office that morning. "How has life been out here in the sticks?"

Sheriff Frank Knolls, one of a kind of guy. He could be your best friend or your worst enemy. He stands about six foot six inches tall, muscles like iron, slightly whiskered and sporting the horse shoe hair cut most guys going bald have. Our families have known him for a very long time and he has always been a friend to us.

"Well bless my soul, if it ain't ole Beetle" he said. "What brings you out here to God's country? You gonna do some work on the cabin or just come to go fishing? I hear the fish are biting pretty good up there around the cove."

"Frank I'm here for something else. Can we go into your office?" I asked. When we got in and shut the door I could see the look of concern on his face. He could read most people from just looking at them. I was no exception.

"OK, what's up Beetle?" he asked. "Is everything and everyone OK or is there trouble brewing and something I need to know about it?"

I told him that everyone was all good with the exception of Kim and Jenny. He looked at me quizzical like and I knew he probably had no idea who Jenny is. I informed him Jenny is Kim and David's kid. That eased his mind a little or it did until I got around to telling him about what the current situation is.

Sheriff Frank started out, "Beetle, I know this is probably a dumb question, but are you armed? And what do you need me to do? I've known both y'alls families for ages. I think of the whole bunch of you as second family to me. So spill the beans and let's get things right for Kimmy."

"Thanks Frank," I said. "And yes I am armed and I felt I knew I could count on you for back up if needed. We are going to stay at the cabin for a while so Marion and his guys can locate David and put the peckerwood back in jail. I intend to have some relaxing fun while here but I need to stay on my guard. With that said, do you think it would be possible to have a deputy patrol the area just a little extra, especially after dark? I'll leave the porch light on as a sign all is good, but if that light is off, we are probably going to need some sort of help."

After I had talked to Sheriff Frank and picked up the supplies I headed back to the cabin. I had forgotten that about six years ago we had a new guy to the area build a cabin about a quarter of a mile through the woods from our cabin. He always seemed friendly enough and never threatening in any manner. Mom and dad liked the guy enough to let him have an extra key to the shed and cabin if he ever needed anything. So when I got back to the cabin I saw a truck parked out by the cabin. I grabbed the gun I had and eased up to the cabin in hopes that everything was still OK. I would not have been able to forgive myself if something had gone wrong. Mr. Johnson and Kim were chatting away like long lost kin. I was very relieved at seeing him. I knew he would also have our backs.

"Hello thar Mr. Johnson" I hollered. "How you been doing without us around to constantly pester you?"

"Boy you skared da gee willerkers out o me!" laughing as he said that.

Mr. Johnson was an elderly gentleman that if he liked you he would give you the shirt off of his back, or as he would often say it "offen ma back". Very likeable old fellow he was. He was probably in his early seventies or somewhere in that area and he never really told us how old he was. His wife had passed away three years before we met. He was about half-way through building his cabin when we met.

"Kimmy was atellen me about the wee problem at hand. Little Jenny sure is a cutie. What can an old codger like me do to hep?" he asked.

"Mr. J" I started out saying. "I've already talked to Sheriff Frank and he is going to ask his deputies to make a few extra rounds out this way for the time being. As you can see by what I have in my back pocket, I did come ready for just about anything. By the way, do you still have the shotguns and rifles in your gun locker? I like to have them and not need them instead of need them and not have them."

"Sure, I'll brung em by when I get vited over for vittles this evening. Ev'n brung over sum extra munitions if'n ya need me to" he flatly declared.

I am not real sure about how Kim felt at that moment but I know if felt good to have friends that have your back no matter the situation.

Supper was hot, spicy chili with beans and cornbread. Mr. J loved every spoonful he had. He might have been tired of his own cooking because he even volunteered to "hep" with the dishes. Little Jenny thought he was her new grandpa. What is that old saying? If young kids or dogs like a person they might be alright. Well Jenny sure did like Mr. J and he seemed to like her good too.

Sometime about dark thirty I called my brother to fill him in on what had happened that day and he filled me in on what happened over his way. David had been as elusive as an educated mouse going around mouse traps. One of the other officers had been driving around slowly in the area of Kim's place and my place hoping to catch a glimpse of David. But nothing had been spotted. All the other officers had put the word out to their stoolies that David was being sought and they wanted him as soon as possible. They convinced the stoolies that it would be in their best interest to help find this guy and quickly. I knew David had been to the cabin only one time in the past and that was before he and Kim were married. So I was not sure if he remembered the way there or not. I openly stated that I hoped he did not, but secretly I hoped he had, I wanted him and I wanted him badly.

Mr. J left around nine that evening and was heading through the woods when we heard a very loud WHOOP, WHOOP and saw the blue and red lights of a deputy's car. I ran outside with my flashlight to see the deputy and Mr. J loudly discussing as to why Mr. J was there. Once I arrived I told the deputy what was going on and why so that cleared Mr. J of any wrong doing or suspicious activity. I did thank the deputy for his diligence as did Mr. J We all parted company and I did feel a little better. No one had seen nor heard the deputy pull up and that was a good thing.

After getting everything ready for lights out, I told Kim to not turn off the front porch light and why. This sort of scared her but knowing that a deputy had stealthily pulled up earlier, she could understand things. She and Jenny went to bed and I sat around to catch up on some reading.

The back porch of the cabin faced the lake. The moon was full, no clouds in the sky, the water so slick it looked like you could ice skate on it and it was only August. We never had the problem of annoying insects just the occasional gnat or so and tonight was no different. The aromatic smell of cedar trees mixed with pine trees made for a nice setting. The night air had a very light wisp of a draft of air rising from the lake moving over the porch so I really could not have imagined a better evening to sit out and just read or think or just enjoy the moment.

I must have fallen asleep out there because the next thing I knew Kim was asking what I wanted for breakfast. Jenny wanted pancakes and sausage so that is what we all had. It was nice seeing Jenny enjoying herself. Jenny was constantly under foot wanting to help.

She said "I like camping."

All I could do is smile and agree that she looked cute as a teddy bear. Now either I was really hungry or Kim can cook because I do not normally like pancakes for breakfast but they were good, real good.

After breakfast dishes were all cleaned up we decided to let Jenny explore the area. So off we went. The lake came first and then the area around the cabin and even the old storage shed where we kept something that resembled a flat bottom boat. She wanted to go out on the water but I was finally able to convince her to wait until the next day, we would have time for that.

Lunch was served without incident. Sheriff Frank drove out to meet up with us and informed Kim and me that David still had not been seen anywhere in town. He was worried that if he even thought Kim and Jenny were out here that he would be here causing trouble. I agreed and Frank left. I did thank him about the patrolling and told him what happened last evening. He smiled as he was leaving.

Dinner included having Mr. J over for hot dogs, Jenny's favorite. Mr. J liked those dogs too.

"Best danged dogs I ever ait" was his comment.

Jenny fell asleep in Mr. J's lap. I finally put her to bed shortly afterwards. Before Mr. J left, we talked about everything up to date. He said he was real concerned about the health of those two girlies.

That evening was uneventful. Well with the exception of Kim walking in on me while I was in the tub. I was just soaking and had almost fallen asleep when all of a sudden I hear her stammer something about being sorry, I did not know you were in here and, well you know all the things that goes along with that type of incident. Good thing was that the tub is an old claw foot tub so it has some deep sides to it and nothing could have been seen unless she was right on top of me. After she finally left and closed the door I figured I had enough soaking and finished up my nightly routine.

Kim was still embarrassed about what happened and when I finally made my appearance in the living room, she was starting to blush all over again. The next morning I started laughing again and that made Kim laugh. I had started laughing at her being embarrassed and this caused Kim to laugh and finally Jenny was laughing but she really did not know why, but it was funny.

That next morning went smoothly. I showed Jenny all around the place. She wanted to see everything. She even made me promise to take the boat out later that day. Shortly after noon I went to the boat shed and got it out only to find a couple of good size holes in the bottom. I would either have to patch it or replace it and I did not think I could patch it, nor did I want to. Mr. J came over about that time and said he did not remember any holes being in the boat when he put it up a month ago. Something was amiss.

Since the boat was somewhere around a hundred years old anyway I just figured I'd replace it and use the old one for a flower planter bed. I asked Kim if she and Jenny would like to tag along. Can you now say "family outing"? Yeah, I know, we are not really family but if felt good just saying it out loud.

We loaded up and headed to town. On my way I stopped by to see Sheriff Frank and let him know about the boat situation. It could just be vandals, maybe just rotten aluminum or something else so I figured he might have some information about possible mischief in the area. He told me he knew of nothing going on in the area but would keep his eye out for any possible mischief from some of the kids. Well that seemed plausible and we left it right there.

We found a small sporting goods store just on the edge of town and found what we wanted. Jenny found a few other things she thought she liked and I thought what the heck and got them for her. One thing she really wanted was a loud whistle. You know the one, the type cops used to use. Naturally she had to practice using it on the way back to the cabin.

When we finally did get the boat in the water Jenny was having a blast. We rowed over to Mr. J's place, around the small cove and just had a "cruise around" for her. When we finally headed back to the cabin, Mr. J already had the bar-be-que started and was grilling some hamburgers for us all.

He just said "Welp, ya cooked lass night so I figured it'd be my time tonight."

All in all it was a very nice day and all was well at the cabin front. I called Marion to check in.

"Look Beetle" he said. "We have not been able to find hide nor hair of David. We are not even sure he is still in the area. I'd advise you guys to be on the lookout and cautious about anything else you do. I have already called the Sheriff's office out there and informed Sheriff Frank about the situation as it is right now. I do not want to alarm you but you might want to expect trouble."

"Thanks Marion. Mr. J seems to be on the lookout too. When the deputy hit him with the lights and siren the other night it let him know that not everything was normal right now. Shoot I think Mr. J is even hoping David does show up. Thanks for the heads up. Well keep our eyes and ears open for anything out of the ordinary. Oh, by the way, when was the last time you were up here?"

"Why, something wrong?" Marion asked.

"Yeah, the boat had a couple of holes in it. I went out and bought a new one today. That thing had to be a hundred years old anyway and probably needed to be replaced anyhow, but I thought I would ask you about it anyway."

"No one that I know of has been there." He said. "What do the holes look like?"

"Well it looks like the boat hit a snag in the water going kind of fast. Torn and jagged and all. One of the holes was about four inches around. You think that is normal or not. With my training, I do not believe they are normal. That boat would have to be going thirty miles an hour to make a hole that big. Well since you are telling me no one has been up here, I'll do a little more investigating tomorrow. Have a safe evening brother. Tell the wife I said hello."

We I hung up.

Now knowing this about the boat did make me a little uneasy but I was still hoping that it was just some kids being mischievous around here. I did figure I would not tell Kim about it because I did not want her to worry. She has enough to worry about right now.

Along about nine o'clock that evening we were getting ready to turn in when there was a ruckus outside. I switched off all the outside lights in hopes that if a deputy was nearby patrolling he would stop and help investigate. I did grab my pistol and went to sit on the back porch again. This time I did not have a book to read. I just wanted to gaze around the area and figure out if I could see or hear anything else. Two hours later the deputy showed up and noticed the front porch light off. He got out of the car and quietly came around to the back of the cabin. I saw him before he saw me and whispered to him I was glad he was there. I told him what was happening. He told me to go inside the cabin and wait for him. He would check things out on his own.

The deputy went back to his car and pulled out some night vision goggles he had and went looking around. He finally came back about thirty minutes later and informed me that he found cat tracks out near the garbage area. They were big cat tracks too. It was probably a cougar or someone's really big house cat. That relaxed me somewhat and things sort of returned to normal. I told him about what my brother told me and he said he would radio it in and make extra swing bys to make sure we were all OK. After the gratuitous soda water he left. It was time for me to take a bath and turn in.

B_Bailey
B_Bailey
46 Followers