My Sentinel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I finished my first week at work and even went for pizza on the Friday evening with a few of my new work colleagues. They quizzed me about my love life, but I found I could not bear to talk about Matthew. No-one would believe me anyway. I briefly told them about my previous man and then carefully steered the conversation away from the topic.

I arrived home at about 8.00PM, parked my car, and was surprised to see a man and a woman standing at my front door.

"It doesn't look as though anyone is in," the woman said to the man earnestly.

"We had to try though," he answered with a shake of his head.

"Who are you looking for?" I asked, making them both 'jump'.

They turned and looked at me. They were a couple perhaps in their late 60's or early 70's. They both looked weary.

"Are you Analise?" asked the woman.

"I am," I replied with some caution.

"Our son Matthew, has been asking for you repeatedly. He described where you lived down to the last detail."

"Matthew?" is all I could weakly utter before my legs began to tremble, and dizziness overtook me.

Matthew's father steadied me and helped me lower myself so I was sitting on one of my outdoor steps. I realised I was crying once more.

"Is he awake?" I asked, focussing my large anxious eyes on each parent in turn.

"He awoke two weeks ago, but has only been strong enough to speak a little in the last few days," his father answered.

"Please take me to him?" I asked them both. "Please. I can come right now."

Two pairs of hands helped me to my feet. Two pairs of eyes looked at me with curiosity, then two smiles broke out spontaneously.

"Of course we will take you. By the way, let us introduce ourselves. Ian and Gill. Matthew tells us he knows you well and misses you," Ian smiled.

"He does, and yes I miss him too," I confessed.

Ian and Gill walked me to their car. I sat in the back seat feeling anxious but also excited. I was still in my work clothes, had not combed my hair, but found I really could not give a damn. I just wanted to see him.

"May I see him for a few minutes alone first?" I asked as we arrived at the Nursing home.

"Of course," answered Gill with warmth. "We will have a cup of tea downstairs and then come up in a bit."

"Thank you," I replied with feeling.

I stood for a moment outside the door marked 'Matthew' before knocking. I did not hear anything from within, so slowly opened the door just a little and poked my head into the room. He was propped up in bed with pillows. He saw me. We stared at each other, then smiled.

"Come in Anna," he said with some effort in a tired, hoarse voice.

I did as I was told and closed the door behind me, and then slowly walked to his bedside.

"So you are real," he breathed. "You are beautiful too. I thought I might never actually see you after sending you away. I only had to hope that my memory of where you lived was accurate."

I found I could not say a word. I was too choked-up, and did not trust myself to speak.

"I think the shock of you telling me I was asleep woke me up," he explained looking at me anxiously. "The thought of just being a 'shell' was horrifying."

"I love you Matthew," is all I could manage before once again the tears began to flow. "No wonder you didn't come back to me in my sleep again. You were awake!"

"You mustn't love me," he replied with pride in his voice. "I can barely sit-up on my own."

"You will do though."

"Anna, I don't know how long it will take me to be able to walk again. I have no muscle tone. It could take months."

"I will help you Matthew."

"Anna, I don't have a home anymore."

"I have a home Matthew. It is enough for both of us."

We looked at each other. Matthew now had tears running down his thin pale face. I simply took off my coat, unzipped my winter boots, and climbed into bed with him fully clothed. I pulled his frail body close to mine, held him in my arms and told him that I was not going anywhere. I kissed him for real, and shut my eyes, and simply listened to him breathing. My eyelids began to close. I felt exhausted due to relief and a feeling of completeness.

"I love you Anna," he whispered. "Thank you for being here, my friend. My beautiful lady from nowhere. This will be a long hard journey and you can duck-out at any time."

My response was to pull him closer, and snuggle up to him further.

"Don't be silly," I whispered. "We've come so far already. You saved me."

I felt his body relax and his breathing become even and deep. I too shut my eyes once more and began to feel myself drift. It occurred to me before I slipped into the sweetest sleep I'd ever had, that Matthew's parents and perhaps staff members would find us curled-up together in this horrible Hospital bed. I found I did not care one bit. They would have to carry me out if they didn't like it. No-one was going to spoil this moment.

The last thing I heard Matthew whisper before he truly slept made me both shiver and smile.

"I don't know how I knew, but I did know you would be shot and badly injured that night. Thank God I stopped it."

There was a long pause....

"Anna, you have saved me too."