Nature or Nurture Ch. 25-27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And did her former master know Cathy was pregnant and delivered a baby before she died?

'My first impulse is to find out where Wuthering Heights is, then go there and see if Nelly Dean still lives in that neighbourhood.

But I can't leave the city for more than one day because of my duties in the theatre. And though I know Heathcliff was a great rider, I wouldn't dare climb on a horse just like that,' Vincent says, 'so what are the alternatives?'

Adison answers.

'Finding the doctor or the midwive would be the first choice. You know what they look like, and a midwive that professional will have a reputation all over the city and will be easy to find. She will remember the case and where the baby went. We can inquire tomorrow.'

Mina adds, 'I don't know an address, but I remember where Heathcliff used to live. You could visit the apartment and ask about the former inhabitants.

Actually, it may still be yours. You know, there are a few hours left until daylight, shall I show it to you right now? Then you will not have to wait until nightfall to go there.'

To Vincent, that is the best option. It means he can be active right now, he won't be able to sleep anyway, and they can start the real search tomorrow morning instead of in the evening.

Adison decides to stay with Victor.

'What if he wakes up and finds all of us gone? That would be frightening. And you'll make better time without me, you're both fast.'

Minutes later, Adison is back in bed, and Mina and Vincent are off into the night. Mina is in the lead, setting a stiff pace. Vincent is doing his best to keep up and remember the way they are going. He wishes Adison was with them, to make a sketch of the route.

Still, he can memorize the address once they are in the right street. Within a quarter of an hour they arrive at an apartment block that does look familiar to him.

Maybe he saw it in one of those dreams?

Mina walks to a door, pointing at a window, 'This is the right house, I think they owned the first and second floor. I've never been inside though, he used to make us wait outside for him. He kept us away from Cathy.'

Vincent makes a mental note of the name of the street so he can find the house again. It looks occupied, though there are no lights burning at this time of the night.

'Thank you Mina. I'll let you know what we learn as soon as you're awake tomorrow.'

Then he adds, 'And please be honest with me: if we find the girl, will it hurt Adison to have her live with us?

The thought of me possibly having a wife and children upset her greatly when we had first found you.'

Mina laughs, and soothingly says, 'Don't worry Vincent, I'm sure she was afraid to lose you to another woman. I'm very certain she will love a daughter of your blood as much as you will, and I'm sure she will the best mom a child could ever have.'

Of course, Vincent knows this, but still it feels better to have a woman confirm it.

'Nice house, you think I may still own it?' he changes the subject.

'Well, it was yours, it wasn't rented. So I do wonder who inhabits it now. You may want to bring some arms when you visit, or maybe even the watch.'

They return quickly via the exact same route, and crawl into bed with their respective partners.

Strangely enough Vincent does find sleep, and the next morning they are up early. They tell Victor everything at the breakfast table, and decide to visit the house first, their patients later.

Discretely armed they walk to the place, looking around to get an impression of the neighbourhood, then they use the ornate doorknocker.

A well-dressed man in his forties opens the door, takes a good look at Vincent and turns white as a sheet.

He holds the door open, stuttering, 'Mr Heathcliff, we didn't expect you to... you look different.'

The poor man looks positively scared.

'I've been through a lot. If you have a place where we can talk, all of you still here, I'd be much obliged.'

His calm politeness reassures the manservant a bit, but not very much. Adison is on her guard, his staff may have taken over the house, unwilling to give up their freedom and comfort to their unsympathetic master.

But apparently there are only the manservant and one maid left of the staff. As they sit down in the parlour, the maid brings tea, then on Vincent's invitation she joins them.

'We haven't heard from you in nearly a year, and you left in a confused state. We feared something bad had happened, but your lawyer had your funds in trust and told us to keep up the house with minimal staff for at least two years.

Since you have no known kin and we knew you were in a bad way with Mrs Catherine's kin, no-one ordered a search for you. You do look different sir, one would hardly recognize you.'

Vincent, still trying to put the two at ease, tells them part of the truth.

'Something bad indeed happened to me. I was seriously hurt, and lost part of my memory. I've been regaining it in small parts.

I am really glad you've taken such good care of the house, and would ask you to continue to do so for a little longer.'

Encouraged by his mild manner and forthrightness, the manservant speaks up.

'You look to be in good health, sir. Especially considering how you left, sir, you were in great mental distress, and you seem to be more stable now.'

'I've been through a lot, and have learned from my experiences. But now I'd like to get to the purpose of my visit.

I've only very recently remembered the night of Mrs Heathcliff's death, and with my improved circumstances I now feel able to take on the care of my daughter. I'd like to know where she lives.'

Here, the maid puts in her two cents.

'Why Mr Heathcliff, the little lass will be right glad to hear of thee I'm sure. And Mrs Kent, Miss Dean as was, will be glad to hear of thy return to good health.'

Vincent cannot believe his luck.

'So you know where she is?'

The manservant answers.

'We certainly do. After the Missus passed away, you were locked up in your room for a week at least. You never ate, I'd swear you never slept.

Your face was a right mess with beating yourself, I suppose you couldn't think of living without her, you were so close. The housekeeper hired a wet nurse and Laura here took care of the baby.

Then you came out of the room, totally normal, wrote to Miss Dean as was then.

She came within a week, tried to convince you to keep the little girl as company. But you said you couldn't live without the Missus and that it would be unfair to the child.

So Miss Dean took the little baby to her own village. She's been writing to Laura here ever since, to let her know how little Catherine's doing.'

Here, Vincent interjects, 'So she's called Catherine?'

'Yes, Miss Dean gave her that name, said she looked just like her mum, excepting her colouring of course.

After the baby had gone, you just let yourself go to bits, raving and beating your head against the wall. Then you got quiet again but very cold.

That went on for nearly a year, then you went out one day, and we never saw you again until now. We knew something bad had happened, you must have had a dreadful accident.'

Surprised, Vincent asks, 'How that so?'

The girl affirms the manservant's deduction.

'It's the scar, sir, that must have been a really bad wound. And you weren't afraid of nothing, but you must have been very scared, how else could you lose all you colour?

I'm certain Mrs Kent will be thrilled to hear from you, she's married now and her new husband brought plenty of kids with him. He's a widower.'

As they now have enough information to mount a successful search, there is only one thing left to try and obtain.

'I remember being driven in a coach, I suppose that has been sold?'

This time, the man answers.

'You never owned a carriage sir, you usually rode on horseback.

You were such a good rider, no-one else could handle your big black, when you disappeared he got too restless to keep here in the city, as we couldn't find anyone to exercise him.

So the lawyer sold him. You should pay him a visit too, I'll write down the addresses for you, Miss Dean's and his.

And the livery stable where you used to rent a carriage if you needed one. Or I can arrange you one?'

'How far is it to Mrs Kent's place?'

The man looks at the maid, who replies, 'A three day ride, sir. Nelly came in a cart, though, in a carriage may be quicker.'

Vincent looks at Adison, and she observes, 'You need to arrange this with the director first, you can't just stay away. We'll call as soon as we know.'

The man looks at her questioningly, and Vincent introduces her proudly.

'This is my fiancée Miss Adison Egerton. She is a partner in Dr Frankenstein's practice.'

Adison shakes hands with both of them, finally getting the man's name.

'Pleased to meet you Miss Egerton, my name is Martin, I'm Mr Heathcliff's butler.

I've heard of Doctor Frankenstein's practice, they say he can raise people from death. Actually, they say his partner... wait, that must be you then?'

Taking another hard look at his master, scarred and very pale but healthy looking and seemingly mentally stable and even happy, he can believe her reputation.

After that introduction, Laura is quite in awe of Miss Egerton, this girl isn't as vibrant a beauty as Mrs Catherine was, but apparently she's a doctor with an already legendary reputation, and the maid feels quite embarrassed to shake hands with her as an equal.

But Adison has never had staff like this, their retainers used to be more like friends, so she treats the maid as any other person and introduces herself as usual.

'Hello Laura, I'm Adison, and I'm pleased to meet you.'

Soon after this, they take leave, promising they will be back soon to talk business.

Pleased that everything went smoothly here, hoping Mrs Kent will be as willing to give up the girl to her father as Laura seems to think, they talk about what needs to be done further.

First, Vincent will go to the theatre and talk to the director, for he really needs some time off to settle this matter. They need to have a good talk about his possible new career as well, and it might as well be today.

And Adison needs to see her patients, and tell them about their trial with their home-practice. That way, Victor can attend to her patients whilst she is off to Wuthering Heights.

So they both go their own ways, and that afternoon at tea-time, they sit around their kitchen table with Victor and Mina and discuss everything that has happened.

Those two have the same glow as yesterday around this time, so Adison guesses Mina has already been fed to both their satisfaction. She addresses Victor, 'Are you feeling even better? You look positively healthy!'

He smiles amiably.

'I feel much better. I'm starting to think bleeding patients may be a good way to treat patients after all. It gives a feeling of accomplishment and it stimulates appetite.'

Vincent observes, 'I can imagine the latter pretty easily, but I'm afraid that for the feeling of accomplishment, you really need to donate the blood to someone rather than let it drain into the kitchen sink.'

Mina says, 'Imagine a vampire making a living by curing people through bleeding. Ugh, I can imagine the taste. Sick people's blood. No, I prefer a healthy young specimen, like our doctor here. But Vincent, what did you two learn? Victor and I are both dying of curiosity.'

'Well it seems I'm a gentleman with a nice house and staff, and an as yet unknown fortune.

The steward and the maid who have kept up the house since my disappearance recognized me instantly. They know my daughter, and she indeed lives with Nelly Dean, now Mrs Kent. We have the address, and, Adison, I have called on Martin to ask him to arrange a carriage for tomorrow. Apparently the director has been expecting my promotion for some time now, and I have a week off in which the company will bring another set they have played before.

Bruce has the part Simon used to play.

I did wonder why he didn't call as often to loan books. After the week we'll continue the current play whilst the others rehearse a new piece.'

Vincent is a bit suspicious at how easy this all seems to be going, but what can they do?

12