Nature or Nurture Ch. 51-56

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Of course no-one knows, but poor Catherine looks so upset at the memory of that moment, that they all want to hug her and kiss her. She can see it, and she accepts all the kisses, smiling broadly, happy to see she is loved so much.

'Now everything is safe, will you get me a little brother or sister? There are too many of you and too few of me.'

Vincent catches Adison with a wistful look, and realizes she wants it, too. He looks straight at her, catching her eye, acknowledging her wish, and replies, 'I suppose we can try, Catherine.'

Both his girls look happy, and Vincent walks out, hangs up his coat, then goes back in.

'I'm going to take a shower, shall I take you to bed for your nap before or after, Catherine?'

'Before is fine, dad, I'm family, I don't mind if you smell.'

Chapter 52

They all go to see Bruce that night, dressed in their best, and in high spirits. They are welcomed by the staff, are not allowed to pay for their tickets, and get some great seats.

'It is strange to be here as a spectator, I've never seen the show, well, except that very first time with Victor,' Vincent observes. Watching the crowd, they spot Mr Grey in his usual box, and Miss Yves and Mr Chandler a few rows ahead in the main part of the hall. Vincent discerns some other regulars, and there are more Chinese people than usual in the theatre, though neither Vincent nor Adison know them personally.

Still, the director must be pleased.

Before the play starts, Vincent has been addressed by several fans, who are sorry that he has quit the show, and are happy for him to hear he will play at the St James theatre, but fear the play is too difficult or too serious for them. Vincent tells them it is a very funny piece, and though confusing with many mistaken identities and misconceptions, still quite easy to enjoy. He asks them what they think of Bruce as a lead, and they do appreciate the new play and his role in it.

'He's very agile,' most of them say.

Pretty soon, the show starts, and it is indeed very entertaining. Vincent has felt the effect of the scenery, and the trap-doors and the fake blood just that one time, ages ago it seems, and he is excessively diverted. Bruce uses his agility to good effect, his hero is not so much tragic, as comic, though he has his moments of intense emotions as well, mostly when someone dies. Again.

But in the end the villains bite the dust, and the hero gets the girl, and the show is concluded with a triumphant love-scene, which the lead pair plays with a relish, of course.

They applaud with fervour, and get in line for the meet and greet. Still more people recognize Vincent, and he spends most of the time talking to them, and explaining that his new role is a large step up that he couldn't refuse.

Finally, they congratulate Bruce and Maud on their success, and even talk to the director for a few moments. Then the meet and greet is done, and everyone files out. Vanessa and Mr Chandler say hello, and the couple really want to know their version of what happened last night, so Victor invites them for a glass of wine at their home.

'We cannot go out, Catherine needs her sleep, but we can entertain you at our own place.

The two accept, and just when they are set to go, they are called back by Mr Grey.

'One moment, please, Vincent!'

They turn around, and Catherine quickly touches her father's bare skin.

Mina is already arm in arm with Victor, and Miss Yves keeps a little distance with her friend, who seems to know Mr Grey as well. As mum moves closer to dad, Catherine asks to be put on the ground, then walks towards Miss Yves and Mr Chandler, and offers both a little hand. Miss Yves accepts, and whispers to her friend, 'Now pay attention.'

They move closer, and Catherine releases his hand for a moment. A few seconds later, she takes hold of it again, and he shakes his head as if to clear it, then looks at both of them, stunned.

'We'll explain later,' Miss Yves says. First they want to know what Mr Grey has to say.

'I'm so glad to find you all here, how are your rehearsals going, Vincent?'

The beautiful young man is seriously interested, and dad answers, 'Very well, thank you for asking, I feel right at home, and I am learning a lot. We have a lot of fun, too. I'm teaching Lord Douglas, a friend of Mr Wilde's, sword-play. I miss my friends here, though.'

'Lord Douglas eh? You're moving up in the world, my dear man, I can see you're dressed like a star already, looks like Bosie's tailor.'

'So you know Lord Douglas?' dad asks politely, but curiously.

'Indeed I do, I've been fortunate enough to be part of his circle for a few years, but I got bored with all the literary stuff and moved on. Never did get to meet Mr Wilde though, a shame for he is reputedly a very entertaining character.'

That is kind of weird, Mr Grey cannot be much older than mum, how can he have been part of a certain group for years, then lose touch? He would have to be older than he looks. Or maybe Lord Douglas' friends and Mr Grey were teens together. Still, Catherine takes a few moments to really study Mr Grey with sight, and she can clearly see that there is some intricate spell at work in him, involving his whole body in fact, but it doesn't seem like he is someone's puppet. Those girls looked differently, and so did Sir Malcolm. It will be interesting to hear what mum has seen.

Now Mr Grey comes to the point.

'I'm glad to hear you're doing well at St James', Vincent. Do you remember promising me you'd come to one of my parties? I've one planned next week, a dance actually, and I'd like you all to come. Dr Frankenstein and his ravishing lady too, and Miss Yves and her strong arm as well. Here are my cards, please take one for each of you, and an extra, in case you want to bring a friend.'

Does Mr Chandler show some embarrassment as Mr Grey looks at him? What happened between the two of them? He was very shocked to find out about the enchantment, maybe he got caught in it somewhere in the past?

'And bring some friends!' Mr Grey stresses, 'I'm always eager to meet new people.'

Dad accepts Mr Grey's cards, and replies, 'We will be pleased to come, we were just thinking of going to one of those rave parties on the other side of town, but it's quite a demanding exercise, maybe starting with normal dancing is wiser. Thank you very much for your invitation!'

He bows, looking positively ravishing in that stunning coat, a true star already, though that may be daughterly infatuation, he is her very own dad after all, strong, and brave, and very gentle. She wants to kiss him, but she dare not let go of Miss Yves and Mr Chandler yet, Mr Grey is not gone away. But he immediately moves off, and Catherine releases her friend and her man, then stands in front of her dad to have him pick her up.

Which he does, of course, and he carries her home, where he tucks her in nicely, as mum, Victor and Mina accompany their visitors to the kitchen. She would have loved to hear what they are talking about, but she's very tired, and one of the others will tell her anyway if something interesting is discussed. And tomorrow they're getting the bicycles, with a little saddle for her to ride along with dad! It will be just like riding Blinkers together!

Excited as she is, Catherine nonetheless falls asleep instantly, she has always been a good sleeper, which is not surprising since her life is a good deal more interesting than that of a normal child her age. Vincent kisses her sleeping face with a feeling of intense joy, who would ever have thought that having a child was so fulfilling? Of course, a normal two year old would still be in diapers and talking in three word sentences, but Catherine was cute as a normal toddler as well.

Why not try to have another child? It was clear today that Adison wants to.

But now it's time for their guests, Vincent is very curious how the two of them are getting on, there seems to be something developing between them. And why did Mr Chandler turn white at Mr Grey's description of him?

As they get to the kitchen, Victor does not make coffee, but he opens a bottle of wine, they have earned a treat, and being a rather reticent person himself, he guesses both Vanessa and Mr Chandler will feel more at ease with a touch of alcohol in their system. Victor is aware that they are quite a close-knit group, that it is very easy to feel like an outsider among them. As host he feels responsible to include his guests in their group.

And he seems to meet with some success, Mr Chandler has very easy manners, though he tends to keep his feelings to himself, and Vanessa knows both Mina and Adison very well. They start with their observations on the play, an innocuous subject of conversation, and they all agree that Bruce is a very worthy successor to Vincent, giving this new play a totally different mood, much more funny, less brooding, but very entertaining, and very well done.

Then when Vincent comes back and seats himself next to Miss Yves, Victor hands him a glass of wine, and the conversation turns towards yesterday evening.

'Sir Malcolm told me you took Mrs Poole out, but at great cost to yourselves?'

Adison tells Miss Yves what happened, a bit apprehensive about Mr Chandler's presence, but Victor finds the way she describes the less believable happenings perfectly acceptable, if Mr Chandler were to repeat it to someone, they would laugh at his fantasy and ask him to tell another exciting story about magic. But frankly, Mr Chandler doesn't look like he's going to tell anyone, he looks more like someone lugging a secret of his own day in, day out.

They discuss the implications of having eliminated all the witches known to them, there may be more, but without their leader they will not be strong enough to threaten their party. Vanessa proposes checking out Mrs Poole's house, she clearly loves excitement, and Mr Chandler seems perfectly willing to indulge her.

But Vincent is not eager to agree.

'You have my blessing to search that place, turn it upside down, destroy what is in it, but I have had my share of excitement for years to come. I just want to live a quiet life for a while, enjoy my family, enjoy my work. I'm not coming, raiding places and destroying witches is very hard on my coats.'

The others feel the same way, and Miss Yves seems to accept that. Adison offers an alternative.

'I will tell an acquaintance of mine about the house, he has a professional interest in witches, and he may want to assure himself that no other witch will be able to just take over that mansion with whatever dark secrets lie within. There might be a cellar full of innocent sacrifices still alive, waiting to be saved. The woman was using blood-magic after all.

May I give him your name and address if he plans a raid, to include you in his efforts?'

Mr Chandler looks suspicious, but Miss Yves says with decision, 'You may. Sir Malcolm needs some closure, and searching that mansion will give him the satisfaction of having cleared up after him.

Then they discuss the matter of Mr Grey's party, and Adison states, 'I have taken a good, hard look at him with sight, and his whole body is suffused with some magic, like yours, Vincent, but without the talent. As if something sustains him, but it's coming from outside his body. It is almost as if the spell that pulls people in is a side-effect, or maybe even the thing that powers the main spell.

Do you suppose he pulls people in to make love to him, thus powering the spell that gives his body some special qualities? I've read in my mother's books that sex can produce magic power as well as torture or killing.'

A choking noise pulls their attention towards Mr Chandler, who is sitting there, shame-faced, clearly working up the courage to speak of something highly embarrassing. He succeeds.

'I met him one evening at the theatre, after Brona had dumped me in anger over her condition. He took me to some gross blood-sport event, truly sickening, then we went to his home, drank absinthe together, and made love with passion. I've often wondered what happened that night, I've never fancied my own gender before or after, now I know I was lured by some enchantment, I felt it at the theatre. How come your little girl took it away?'

'You have probably noticed by now that Catherine is not an ordinary child,' Vincent observes, 'she herself explained it with her childish innocence preventing it from having any influence, but I don't find her particularly innocent, she's very aware of the world and her place in it. I guess it is some power she has without being aware of it. Adison and Mina aren't affected by it either.'

Mr Chandler shakes his head a bit sadly.

'Well, I know now, and I feel at least a little less ashamed to have done such a thing. Though I do feel used now.'

'You're not the only one,' Vanessa states, 'he lured me in his bed, too, but that little bit of sport got ruined by the thing that was riding me rearing up its ugly head. I suppose he set that off.

Something fishy is going on with Mr Grey, and I'm protecting myself from him at his ball. I suppose all of you will, too.'

Victor finds himself getting distracted from the conversation all the time, he is very excited because they will get their bicycles tomorrow, something he has been looking forward to for the whole month since they ordered them made. He asks their guests, 'Do you know what a bicycle is?'

They both shake their heads, they don't know.

'It's an iron vehicle with two wheels, propelled by the rider's own legs. One sits on a saddle, steers with a handle bar, and pushes pedals around to set it in motion. If one stops pedalling, it falls over because it has only two wheels.'

Now Mr Chandler remembers seeing one.

'So that's a bicycle! I saw them, wondered what they were called. They seem very practical, except one does need a road. It wouldn't do where I come from, with rocks strewn all around. You're going to get one? I'd like to try one of those, is it hard to keep it from falling?'

'We're getting ours tomorrow, I've never actually tried one, but Vincent and Adison have and they say it's easy. I've always wanted a bicycle, and when we found someone who makes them I couldn't stop myself from buying one. Vincent is the only one who really needs it, it will save him nearly an hour of travelling time a day. You can both try one when we have them. Adison has a smaller one, you'll love cycling, Vanessa, it goes as fast as a horse can trot.'

'I'll certainly want to try, I can take the carriage whenever I want to, but I'm very curious to know how it works.'

Soon after this, their guests leave, and as they walk home, Ethan asks Vanessa, 'Did you feel a little more like you belonged tonight?'

'I did, they were very nice. And it will be great fun to go dancing together, but we do need to take care Dorian doesn't spell us again. He was nice, and a very good lover, but somehow I prefer to choose my own time to give my body to someone, not have it taken without my free will. And I guess the same goes for you.'

'You are totally right. Which is why I want to ask you most humbly to allow me to give myself to you, tonight. And while I'd love to accompany you anywhere, I am afraid this dance is on a night with a full moon, so I at least will be prevented from attending by wanting to know finally what is going on with me on those nights. I had hoped you would stay with me as well as Sembene, but I will understand if you go dancing with your friends.'

'It's a full moon? I didn't realize. Of course I'll stay with you, you need to know, and I need to be there when you find out. You're the person I feel closest to in this lonely world, and I'm not afraid of what I might see. You will never hurt me, I'm sure.

And I really, really want you to give yourself to me, whenever I look at you I feel my restlessness lay quiet for a while, and I start seeing domestic scenes, with children and a homely house, not elegant at all, just very familiar and friendly. Like our friends' kitchen, somehow it just makes me feel mellow.'

'I can understand that, and I feel the same. There is just that little thing between us and that homely kitchen, and I wish I could feel as confident as you that you will not fear it. I fear it, it is violent, and destructive. But a week from now we'll know what it is, and I will know whether I'll ever have such a kitchen, or children. Or you. Please bear with me until then.'

And they walk on towards Sir Malcolm's place, holding each other like lovers, in the light of a moon that looks full already.

The next day, Victor and Adison do clear out the back yard, it is small, but private, and there is a little stone building in it that will do very well as a shed. It needs a door that can be locked, but they'll install that the coming week, with all the happenings of the last weeks they forgot to think of a place where to put the bicycles when they're not in use.

The little alley from the street to their yard has a sturdy metal gate, and it can be locked, so they're not really worried that someone will take their bicycles easily, this is not a neighbourhood where burglaries are common, it's too poor generally and the people watch each other well.

Just after dark, their moment has finally come, sitting in a cab on their way to pick up their bicycles. They are all wearing their weapons, and they each have part of the payment for the bicycles on them, so much money weighs a lot, and it bulges as well. Catherine has not been able to nap, she is too excited, and she doesn't even know exactly why. It will be years before she is large enough to ride a bicycle herself.

They make good time and pay for and dismiss the cab in front of their friends' house. Lukas opens the door, and has Catherine in his arms straight away, she's going to enjoy every second with him. He leads them to the workshop, where Victor doesn't even try to hide his look of undisguised envy. He knew Paul is what he always wanted to be, but not to what extent. Of course Vincent and Adison have described this place to him, but the reality cannot compare.

Inventions everywhere, shiny and new, if Paul thinks it might work and Melissa doesn't prove it's physically impossible, he just makes it, and they try it. And everything is beautiful, Paul and Lukas, and Melissa as well, spend hours making whatever they produce beautiful.

Lukas comes towards him, holding Catherine's hand now, and he lays his free hand on Victor's arm familiarly.

'Why don't you spend some time doing what you really want, Victor? I work mornings crafting, then spend the afternoon going out to heal, you can do the same, can't you? Why spend all day doing something that doesn't quite satisfy your needs?'

Of course he is right, there is this whole attic just waiting to be used as a workshop again, he can't build a forge there, but the thing he wants to do most of all is experiment with electricity, and he can do that in an attic. He can order metal parts from Paul and Lukas, there is no need to just look around and feel envious.

'You are right, Lukas,' he admits, 'I will start making some plans tomorrow, there is no use in making a lot of money doing something I like to do a lot, but which is not enough in itself to make me feel fulfilled. Thank you!'

Lukas smiles his broad smile, and Victor admits that he does look cute, but otherwise he doesn't get what the others see in him, he's rather ordinary looking if one doesn't see his non-human peculiarities. Still, he's a very nice guy, and he has a way with people's feelings, somehow he knew Victor was feeling bad about having missed his chance to be an inventor himself.

'Come, let's try the bicycles first, you must be dying to see them. We can talk later.'

And he knows how excited Victor is to try his first bicycle ever, he just cannot be polite until he has ridden it, be it only once.