Nature or Nurture Ch. 51-56

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'There are twenty still living,' Vincent states, 'five really bad. I'm going to intercept Lukas as he comes back, and send in the others to help. I'll be back in a minute.'

As Adison, who has found a container of her own, and Mina give every prisoner a drink of water, Melissa and Paul release the chains with magic. One prisoner, a young man, is in an acceptable state, and he asks, 'Are you come to free us? Thank god!'

He accepts a drink gladly, then waits patiently for what will happen next, none of these individuals seem to have any will left in them. Pretty soon, Mr Telling arrives with George, and Lukas comes in, asking for Adison.

'Jakob wants you upstairs, he's already kept Sembene. He needs to perform a ritual. I'll take matters in hand here.'

As Adison walks up the stairs, she finds Vincent still with the likeness of his daughter, he is not going to leave until he knows how bad this is. Seeing the look on his face, Jakob observes calmly, 'We'll start with your little girl, Vincent, don't worry too much, I don't feel any power emanating from it. Sembene, will you help, you're not emotionally involved in this one. You're to anchor me as I establish contact with my circle, and take it apart slowly. Please touch my neck or face, bare skin, and don't let go, your touch will keep me in this world, it is important.'

And as soon as he feels the strong hand of his anchor touch his cheek, he starts to chant, power crackling throughout the room instantly. Adison's hairs stand on end, not with menace, just with pure static energy raised by the magic of Jakob's circle.

He handles the doll with care, opens its mouth, feels its hair, turns it around to examine the back, which has an opening in it. The space is empty, and Jakob dismisses the power.

'Thank you Sembene, you are a very stable anchor, I felt very safe with you.'

Then he turns towards Vincent and Adison.

'You can be relieved, this doll was not finished yet. It should have hair of the victim plaited in its fake hair, and in the back there should be a sacrifice, I will not tell you what it is, rest assured it is not there. You kept the witch and her underlings away from your daughter so well, that they did not manage to get hold of even a single hair to activate this doll. It is safe to be destroyed utterly. Can you handle it if I do that right here and right now?'

'Please do so immediately.' Vincent can't wait to have this abomination destroyed.

And Jakob incinerates the wooden thing with magic, hotter than a normal fire for they don't see flames licking the face, it just falls to ashes instantly.

'Now let me see to this other one, I believe you know the gentleman in question, Sembene?'

'He is my master and my friend,' the solid man replies in his dark voice.

Then I will ask Adison to be the anchor this time, will you do me the honour of touching some of my bare skin, Adison?'

And Adison emulates Sembene exactly, standing behind Jakob in a guarding stance, touching his rough cheek with her small but capable hand. That pose exudes so much force, it must help to keep Jakob safe.

'This one is active, so we can expect some fireworks. The two of you better stand back, I'm shielding Adison but you're not included, Sembene and Vincent. Maybe you'd better find your friend and keep an eye on him, he may feel a reaction as I disable this image of him. Will you send someone else to stand with Vincent here? Make it my daughter, the tall redhead, her name's Melissa.

The broad, dark man walks out, and soon Melissa comes in. Vincent warns her to keep her distance, and Jakob tells her to keep Vincent from coming closer.

'This is dangerous for you, big man, but not for your little wife. She's very strong.'

He starts his chant, and now Adison feels the power crackling in her ears, this is rather heady, but she forces herself to concentrate on keeping her touch on Jakob's cheek. His chant seems to have raised enough power now, for it changes in melody, becoming rather forceful and dark, and the doll starts to resist. Its mouth speaks a vile sounding language, which Jakob counters with his own magic speech, Adison still thinks it's Gaelic. The chants oppose one another, but Jakob's is more melodious, more flowing, and the harsh words of the wooden mouth cannot follow the agile movements of Jakob's human lips and tongue, somehow Jakob has the initiative now, the dark words cannot counter his singsong chant and start to falter.

Jakob intensifies his efforts manifold, power is raising Adison's long hair, she keeps her hand stuck to his cheek, but it is an effort, there is so much energy at work here, it almost blows her away. Thinking of Sembene, she grounds herself, imagines the energy draining into the rock beneath her, and the strain diminishes, whereas the energy about her certainly doesn't, if anything it is increasing. The wooden mouth stops speaking and starts to scream, the noise is deafening but Adison resists the urge to cover her ears and keeps her hand where it is needed.

Then suddenly it stops, and the doll crumbles under Jakob's touch. The energy in the room dissipates, and Adison feels relieved but also very, very tired. Jakob takes hold of her hand on his cheek, turns around to face her and says, 'You did marvellously, there was quite some power left in that thing, but it's gone now. I hope Sembene's friend is all right, let's check on him and the others.'

Vincent's voice wakes her up from a kind of stupor, caused by fatigue.

'There is one doll who resembles another of our party. Doesn't it need to be destroyed as well?'

As Adison turns to face him, she can just see Melissa releasing his hand, she must have taken it to keep him from interfering, making Adison wonder what that looked like from the side.

Jakob looks disturbed, and asks, 'Which one is it? That was hard work just now, Adison cannot anchor another like that, I'd need someone else. Paul can do it, or maybe you, Melissa?'

'Better not, dad, I would prefer not to risk the baby if there is someone else.'

'Of course, well, let's first see whether it is needed at all.'

Vincent points at the doll resembling Vanessa, and Jakob walks towards it, undoubtedly checking it with sight.

'This one is still active, but fading rapidly. Not a huge risk, still, Adison is a novice, one case is enough for her. Can Sembene do this one?'

'The lady is with his party, I suppose he loves her, they're good friends,' Vincent offers.

'All right,' Jakob says, 'it needs to be done, but there is no hurry, I'll have to check all the other dolls anyway. But let's first see how the rest is doing, Tristan may be about to turn loose the watch, we can't have that until those dolls are rendered harmless.'

In the gruesome cellar, Lukas makes a visible effort to let go of his feelings and get to work. Victor knows he must be used to seeing a lot of misery healing people in the slums, but this has been done to innocents on purpose, to gather power. Victor prides himself on being able to stomach virtually anything, he has researched the most gruesome wounds and afflictions for days on end, but even he feels nauseous now.

Still, there is work to be done, and he decides to see to the less hopeless cases, he can inventory what is wrong with them, see whether they just need food, rest and safety, or whether they are ill or wounded as well and need treatment. He always has his little emergency bag with him on expeditions like these, he can treat several people for minor afflictions.

Lukas can work miracles, so the worst cases must be his to treat immediately. He proposes this to Lukas, and that seems to pull the young man out of his trance and ready get to work.

'A very good idea, Victor, let's get to it. Tristan, George, will you undertake some efforts to get these people to safety and food?'

Starting with the closest victim, a man of middle age, Victor asks, 'How do you feel sir, are you wounded or just hungry?'

'As soon as you get me out of here and back to my wife and children, I'll be right as rain. They'll be missing me, I've been gone for weeks now. What happened to the witch?'

Victor catches Mina's attention, and as she comes close enough to talk, Victor delegates the victim to her.

'Can you tell this man what happened, then get his address? He just wants to go home and it seems he is well enough to do so. Maybe Mr Telling or George can take him home.'

Then he goes on to the next person, a girl of about ten, emaciated and scared to death, but alert and able to speak.

Lukas manages to heal four of the five worst cases, the other sadly dies in the attempt, the elder lady is so emaciated there is nothing for him to work with. While he is working, Paul and Melissa staying with him all the time, the others make themselves useful by clearing a place for the victims to sit out of sight of the mutilated bodies, and by handing them as much water as they want to drink.

There is no edible food, and Miss Yves, Mr Chandler and George go in search of a kitchen to find something to eat, returning half an hour later with bread and cheese, and even some apples. They divide their spoils among the hungry former captives, then set off once more to check out the rest of the top floor, where the living quarters were.

About half of the victims who are not in serious danger are wounded, and Victor can treat them with what medical supplies he has with him. Three are well enough to go home straight away, and Mr Telling fetches his carriage to have it done by his driver, who is waiting a few blocks down. He gives all three of them a little card, and urges them to contact him once they are back on their feet, he will be able to get them some compensation for what they have suffered. Then he takes them outside.

When he is gone for a few minutes, Sembene comes in and politely asks Melissa to assist her father, and he walks straight to Sir Malcolm. Within minutes of Melissa disappearing, Sir Malcolm seems to get hit by something, and he cries out in a voice filled with pain. Sembene supports and comforts him as all the others move towards the victims, now huddled in a corner in fear, and try to reassure them.

Suddenly it stops, and Sir Malcolm is back to normal, and very obviously relieved.

Then Mr Telling comes back in, exchanges a few words with Sir Malcolm, then addresses the people huddled together.

'Don't worry, your ordeal will be over soon. I'm a member of the city council, and I promise you that you will be cared for by the city of London. We have another carriage waiting and it will take as many as will fit to the nearest hospital, and return for another trip. You will get food, medical care, and they will contact any friends or family you want notified.

Then I'll send in the watch to take this place apart at the seams. The person who did this to you is already dead, taken out by my friends here.'

Hearing this, they all seem to be a little less frightened, and soon they start to get more interested in their surroundings. Since they are with so many in their raiding party, and there is no more healing to do, Paul wants to take Lukas to see if he can find the altar. Mina and Victor offer to come along for some muscle, and they find another doorway in the back of the dungeon.

It opens easily, and Paul blocks it as well, after which they enter the space behind. That is not a good place to be, even Victor can feel the suffering that suffuses the very stone it was built out of. There is an altar that both Lukas and Paul say they recognize as having been used to gain magic power by torture and murder, and the reek of blood is everywhere. Paul destroys the symbols present with profuse use of magic power, they light up with it before they fall to dust. The smell of the power and the crumbling stone combined seems to overpower the reek of blood somewhat, but still they want to leave that place as soon as possible.

Paul's face is drawn, and not with reaction-sickness.

'As soon as Jakob has checked those dolls, I agree with Tristan, send in the watch to take it down stone by stone. No-one sensitive will ever be able to live in this spot again.'

When they get back in the dungeon, Mr Telling is just taking eight victims to Sir Malcolm's carriage for their trip to the hospital. Some need assistance, and they dare accept it from Sembene and Sir Malcolm, which Victor finds nearly incredible, since they both look rather menacing to him. Others are helped by their stronger fellows, there are children among the victims, and they all seem to have an adult watching over them.

First Vanessa's group returns from their explorations, and then Jakob files in with Adison, Vincent and Melissa. Adison looks totally worn out once more, and Vincent is supporting her. Victor knows how to recognize the signs of overuse of magic by now, and that is not a good sign to him. She hasn't had any rest for the last three or four days!

But Lukas is quick to help her on her feet, and of course he get his resulting kiss, how can Vincent not be jealous to watch that? Hmpf, his big friend would just as soon kiss that guy himself, like they used to draw him out when they thought he needed it. Well, actually quite differently, for Lukas clearly needs no drawing out whatsoever. And of course Victor did need it, or he would still be all alone in this world.

And Lukas certainly is a true healer, Victor would have been lucky to save even one of those truly bad ones, and Lukas managed four. He felt very bad about losing the one, so maybe he needed that little kiss to comfort him.

Jakob is now eager to finish up here, the atmosphere must be getting to him as well, and he requests Paul to help him with the other dolls. Vanessa exclaims, 'There is one of me in there, need I be present when you destroy that?' J

'You need not be there, but it helps to have someone support you when we work on it, though it was not very strong anymore. After yours, I plan to check them all for signs of life, I'm afraid their originals will mostly be dead, killed by Mrs Poole. There seemed to be one active likeness left, but since none of you recognized it, I will ask Sembene to assist me again. He's so nice and stable.'

Paul follows him out, as do Vanessa and her faithful shadow, Mr Chandler.

Once back into the room with the dolls, Vanessa looks at all of them in disgust, especially the one with her likeness. Then she exclaims once more.

'I recognize that face, too! That is Sir Malcolm's wife! Oh my goodness, that vile bitch wanted her out of the way, or put up against Sir Malcolm. Is that one still strong?'

Jakob walks over to a doll with a middle aged face, quite full, but still rather good-looking despite a severe hairdo and a disapproving expression.

'You mean this one?' he asks, to be absolutely sure they are discussing the same doll.

'Yes,' Vanessa replies, 'that very one.'

'It is very strong, stronger yet than Sir Malcolm's, and much, much stronger than yours. This lady is still very much under Mrs Poole's control, even though the witch is deceased. The destruction of this image will be a task, and I would very much prefer to have Sembene assist me, he seems to be able to send negative energy straight into the ground. But I suppose he knows her well, even loves this lady in his own way?'

Vanessa states, 'I'm sure he doesn't. Lady Murray didn't approve of Sir Malcolm's expeditions, and he never took Sembene to meet his wife. Wouldn't have dared to, it would be like taking his mistress to see her, Sembene and him are so close, closer than Sir Malcolm has ever been to his wife.

'Good,' Jakob says, 'it's not good that Sir Malcolm has a bad relationship to his wife, but good that Sembene can help me. It will save her life, and hopefully her sanity.

'Sir, will you please support you lady friend while I destroy her image?' this at Mr Chandler, 'and Victor, once we're through here, will you fetch Sembene, and maybe this lady's husband as well? Paul, I'm ready whenever you are.'

Paul touches his father-in-law's face, and Jakob starts to chant, in a language that Victor clearly recognizes as Gaelic, having been a studious youth has its advantages. His hair stands on end, like statical electricity, he really needs to continue those experiments, maybe Paul will enjoy them too, he has one of those generators in his workshop after all.

Then the statue starts to foulmouth a language that is definitely not Gaelic, but something much darker. It is not nearly as strong as Jakob, though, even a layman like Victor can tell that this battle is lost before it has started. The doll with Vanessa's face starts to crumble, and Jakob's chant dies down.

'Are you all right, Jakob?' Paul asks, 'you look tired. You need to be in prime shape to tackle that other doll, or you'll be in serious danger. This is no trifle.'

'I am getting tired, yes, and a bit depleted. Would you mind if I borrow your friend for a few moments to recharge?'

Jakob says this with a leering face, getting a hearty laugh out of Paul.

'By all means, recharge, you know he has virtually unlimited power, and he has discovered how to make do with a lot less intimacy during the transfer.'

'You know Lukas and I have a special understanding,' Jakob observes mysteriously, and he ambles towards the dungeon. Are you coming? I guess the last carriage will soon be off to the hospital, we need to decide how to proceed.'

And indeed, the last of the victims are just leaving, and when Mr Telling comes back they decide to let Jakob tackle the last active doll, then leave the house to the watch. The group exploring the top floor has found signs of four people living there, which means the witches are all accounted for. There have been no further discrepancies between the size of the interior and the size of the outside of the house.

'So we can rest assured that this case is closed,' Sir Malcolm states. 'nineteen lives saved and those nasty dolls destroyed.'

'Except the one of your wife, Sir Malcolm,' Jakob says, 'I need Sembene's help to accomplish that, for it is still very strong. I am guessing Mrs Poole wanted to activate that soon, maybe last night, or tonight. It will resist destruction with all its power, and Mrs Poole has slaughtered many innocents to give it a lot of power.

Lukas, my circle is starting to get tired too, can you spare me some power?'

Smiling broadly, the young man embraces the man who is in a way his father-in-law as much as Paul's, and touches his face intimately. Apparently, no kiss is needed, for after Victor sees the middle aged man right himself and lose all the signs of fatigue instantly, Jakob merely hugs the young man lovingly and tightly.

'Thank you so much, Lukas, I feel refreshed. All right, I'm ready. Are you coming, Sembene, and you, Sir Malcolm? Victor, you're his son-in-law, will you restrain him from coming too close to protect his friend? Sembene needs no protection from you, Sir Malcolm, he is under my shields and he will be safe. Try to remember that.'

They move once again, hopefully the last time. As Jakob faces the statue of the middle aged woman, Sembene stands behind him and touches his cheek, almost lovingly. Somehow, no matter how dangerous he looks, this man seems to have the same capacity to love that Adison and Lukas have. And Jakob. Is it a sign of potential priesthood?

No matter, he has work to do. As Jakob starts to chant, and power gathers, Victor's hair rising once more, the beautiful words flowing from Jacob's mouth, Victor can understand words, not entire sentences, meadow, love, of course, what else, humility?, oh well, this is not a language lesson. Before Jakob has reached his full power, the mouth of the severe looking woman opens and starts spouting obscenities.

Of course Victor cannot understand them, he doesn't know this language, but he knows the words are obscene. Suddenly he realizes that Jakob does understand what the mouth says, and needs to ignore it to do his job. The force of the clash deepens, and it is clear why Jakob insisted on Sembene for this doll: the force exerted upon him is not just mental, it is physical, he is nearly blown away from Jakob's side. But the stoic man is firmly grounded and he stands still as a rock, the best anchor a man can put his trust in.

1...34567...12