Nature or Nurture Ch. 60-61

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And with an encouraging clap on his back Vincent leaves him to find George, feeling some worry for the young Lord's situation, but mainly anticipation for tonight.

When he enters the dressing-room, George welcomes him enthusiastically.

'Vincent, you're here, and looking fine. No nerves? Did you get wind of the general disturbance?'

'I met Lord Douglas in the hall, his father is making trouble?'

'Ah, you know him of course, so this doesn't come as a surprise to you. Does it present a problem to you, will such things distract you?'

George Alexander clearly hopes it doesn't.

'You've seen where I come from,' Vincent replies sedately, 'I've played through drunken comments, cat-fights and even a brawl or two. I know my lines, I know my action, and I know my fellow players are just as well-prepared, so I'm good. Looking forward very much to what my friends will say. I've kept them away from the rehearsals for maximum impact.'

'Good. You've no fear of reviews yet, and you don't care a whit about Lord Douglas' father.' George is clearly pleased to understand that.

'Can I ask you a big favour, Vincent? Can you keep Lord Douglas away from the other players and try to calm him down a little? He's so upset he's infecting everyone in the building, and I cannot throw him out without driving Oscar over the edge of reason.'

As Vincent assents, George asks, 'Will you get changed, and have your make-up done, then spend some time on Lord Douglas until say half an hour before kick-off? Then I'll take all of you to a separate room and try to make everyone forget the world outside. Can you do that?'

'No problem, George. I'm his weapons-master, I may be the only person he ever listens to. I'll try to calm him down, please send someone when the time is near.'

Vincent changes into his costume, and when his make-up is done he walks the halls of the theatre until he finds his young friend still roaming the building. Mr Wilde is nowhere in sight.

'Vincent, thank God you're here! Oscar is telling the staff not to let my father in, but it's hard, my father is used to being obeyed and people like that usually are. My father doesn't hesitate to threaten people and he always carries out his threats. I'm afraid Oscar has no clue whom he's dealing with, I talk back to my father, but I'm his son.'

Taking the young Lord with him to one of the smaller dressing-rooms, Vincent sits him down in a chair and pulls another chair over to face him. Then he takes Lord Douglas' hands and says, 'Please calm down, Bosie, we're having a premiere here and people get nervous. Let Mr Wilde handle it, I'm sure he can put some heart into the staff guarding the entrance, they're an independent lot, you're in a bastion of intellectuals here, they have little respect for the old nobility. I'm sure everything will be fine, Mr Alexander is busy preparing for his role, but I'm sure he will not have his first showing ruined by anyone, not even your illustrious father.'

Though the young Lord clearly doesn't believe a word of what Vincent says, he lets himself be calmed down a lot just by Vincent's serenity.

'You're awfully tranquil, shouldn't you be at least a little nervous? This is your first appearance at St James', isn't it?'

Good, let them talk about something else, even if it is himself.

'I feel very composed, yes, I know my lines, I trust my fellow actors, I can't wait actually. I think this is a superb play and people will love it, though a lot of them will be scandalized. And my wife and a lot of my friends are in the audience, they haven't seen even a scene yet.'

'That doesn't make you more nervous?' Lord Douglas wants to know.

Vincent smiles with confidence.

'No, my wife and friends are not as critical as your Mr Wilde and his friends, and the regulars of this theatre. Remember, I'm used to playing in a penny dreadful show, with a rowdy crowd out for blood. Fake blood, that is. I'm not afraid of a little ruckus, and I have only a minor role, most critics won't even spot me behind handsome George. I'm just excited and eager to start.'

'Then I will not keep you any longer, my friend, I'm calmer already. I should be proud of Oscar that he dares to stand up against my father. May I have a hug?'

'Sure, if you don't spoil my make-up.'

'I never expected you to say that to me, Vincent. I promise I won't.'

And he hugs Vincent with a relish, indeed careful of his make-up, then adds, 'You feel so nice and solid, and totally relaxed. I've never met an actor who wasn't at least slightly nervous so shortly before a premiere. Break a leg, Vincent, I'll be watching.'

'Thanks Bosie, and take care.'

Then they part, and Vincent joins the other players, confident that his friend will not spread unrest throughout the theatre anymore.

After half an hour of quiet contemplation, a last check of their costumes, and a heartening speech by George, it is time. Until his own first appearance, Vincent follows everything that is going on from behind the scenes, and at exactly the right moment he steps onto the stage, into the lights. Finally he stands in the spotlight once more, it has been such a long time and he has missed it so much.

Adison is as nervous as Vincent is tranquil, she doesn't know why, for she is certain he will perform as superbly as ever. Maybe it's because she realizes he will be judged on his appearance as well as his acting, and he is so sensitive to that. Though it has been less since he knows the probable cause of his lack of colour, and maybe having been accepted at St James', and in young Lord Douglas' circle has helped, too.

Anyway, she need not be afraid to upset Catherine, for her little daughter is as serene as her father. She looks like a veritable princess, her black locks long and thick for her tender age and as shiny as ever, her intense, nearly black eyes and fine-boned features radiant, though still decidedly chubby. And her dress is a dream, pink and frilled, very fitting for her apparent age. In her thick winter coat she sits on Adison's lap in the cab they've hired, this is a special night and they will travel easily and safely. Victor and Mina of course look ravishing, they are such a handsome couple, one cannot but admire the picture they present together, Victor sweet and boyish, Mina womanly and graceful, they will turn heads wherever they go.

Before long they reach the theatre, where they have arranged to meet Paul, Melissa and Lukas, and George and Frances. Master Man is planning to attend, though unfortunately Bruce and Maud cannot come, they have their own show to play in. Adison expects several fans of Vincent's to be there as well, despite the imposing nature of this theatre.

Miss Yves will not be there, she is still in hiding, it wouldn't be wise for her to come to London, not with Mr Chandler anyway. Sir Malcolm and Sembene are no the types to frequent the theatre, Adison is not expecting them to come and see the play at all, let alone the premiere.

Fortunately their friends are already there, for it is cold, there is a layer of snow as there has been nearly all through winter, and the airs feels as if there is more to come. They join the line before the entrance, and soon Adison indeed recognizes several fans from Vincent's penny dreadful days. Some of them wave at her, and she waves back.

Adison has been inside St James' only once, when she accompanied Vincent to a weird, difficult to understand modern play he was supposed to visit. The theatre made quite an impression on Adison, and at a premiere it is even more grand. The others have never been inside this theatre yet, and are clearly impressed by its sheer size and the richness of its interior.

This is a modern building, not a run-down affair like their familiar theatre in their own neighbourhood. Really feeling the difference in atmosphere, Adison is nearly stunned by the implication of someone going to that dingy old place to scout a player for a theatre like this. Such an honour for her beloved husband. Such expectations to live up to!

In the hall of the theatre she can see the playwright himself with a large party of friends. He is as gaudily dressed as always, and very lively, and Adison wonders whether his lover is among the party. Though Vincent knows Lord Douglas well, and Adison has his mother as her patient, she has never seen him herself, he never comes in with his mother though according to that estimable lady he often drives her to her appointments. Adison would love to see him, Vincent has told her a lot about his young student, and she would just like to add a face to the stories.

They pass the lively party with their own more sedate friends, and soon they have found their seats and they sit down, chatting a little among themselves until the lights in the hall dim and an expectant hush falls over the audience. Then the curtains open and the action starts.

This is so different from the blood soaked play with a simple plot that Vincent used to star in, one really needs to stay alert to catch all the depth in the dialogue and keep the different personages apart. This is very suitable for another viewing! Catherine does seem to get why it's funny, it's not very difficult to understand, of course it would be for a real toddler, but no-one looks at her, they are all too involved in the play.

Vincent's part in it is indeed very modest, but he plays it really well, and to Adison he seems very happy to finally be on stage again. He must have missed it very much. She is happy he had those months with evenings at home, though, and not just because it was safer for Catherine, also because it gave Catherine a chance to really connect to her father. Their daughter is so proud of her dad, in this magnificent theatre, she already understands that a tiny part in a play here is more important than the lead in the other theatre.

Well, that is not quite true, that would be a bit presumptuous, that kind of play has an important role in their society, too, it was filled to the brim with a totally different kind of public each night, and they really enjoyed watching Vincent perform, and he enjoyed playing for them each night. But with him so much interested in superior literature, this is a big step up.

Contemplations are not easy to maintain with all the confusion going on on stage, and Adison soon needs her full attention to keep abreast of the action. She has read the script of course, and Catherine has even rehearsed it often with her father, but still nothing can beat seeing it performed with scenery, and costumes, and George Alexander's great mis en scene.

All too quickly the play ends, and now Adison is a little in doubt. Do they have a meet and greet here, and if so will Vincent have a share in it? He has such a small part, maybe he is supposed to go right back to the dressing-rooms. And it seems as if all the important people in town are here, politicians, writers, the whole lot, maybe a player's wife is not important enough to be met and greeted.

But here her friends step in, George takes the lead and heads towards the large lobby, but not to the exit. They walk through a hall Adison has not even spotted, and into a medium sized room. Paul doesn't look impressed, nor does Frances, but Lukas and Melissa merely follow as much as Adison herself does. Mina seems to know where they are, and Victor doesn't look uncomfortable at all.

'What is this place?' Catherine asks.

'This is where we can meet the players,' Paul replies, 'only important people are allowed in, and as the daughter of one of the players you are one of those. We use your influence to gain entrance ourselves, meet the renowned Oscar Wilde.'

'You're making fun of me,' Catherine says, 'I know George is an important man in the city, and I know you are of a very noble family. Or maybe you magicked someone?'

Paul acts rebuked, and admits, 'You're right, of course, they let us in because of Sir George Nomes' presence, but I was also right, for your mother and yourself would have gained entrance because your father is in the play. Though I'm sure Dr Frankenstein and his medical associate would be welcome too, you know your mother's practice is very famous.'

The room is already rather full and more people come in, as they look around and accept a drink in a beautiful, elegant glass from a young lady in a uniform who hands them out from a large tray. Catherine does not get one, but the girl promises to return to bring her something else. As Adison takes a sip from the thin glass on a long stem, she is surprised to taste a very dry champagne. With her father's friends very rarely bringing some with them she has had champagne before, but she didn't expect to get it in a theatre.

There must be some very important guest present at this premiere!

Now the entire population of the room turns their heads around towards one side and Adison automatically follows their movement to see what is going on. The players are entering the room from a small door on the opposite side from where the public entered it, still in their costumes and make-up, and Vincent is among them!

Mr Wilde is also there, without his entourage but with a handsome young man that must be Lord Douglas.

Feeling rather insignificant, Adison keeps to the back, and sees the girl coming back with a drink for Catherine, who thanks her very politely for her kindness. The girl is amazed at the toddler's eloquence, but doesn't seem to think much of it. Maybe she thinks actors' children are always this precocious.

From her spot amidst their friends and with Catherine in her arms, Adison watches what is happening. All the players are surrounded by admirers, Adison doesn't know who are the nobles, and who the critics, until George starts to point them out discreetly and tells them about the ones he knows, which are most of them, actually. There are even writers present, and people from the newspapers, high nobility and influential politicians, even a few wealthy merchants.

George is approached by some of the ones who cannot talk to the players yet, and when he introduces Adison and Victor to them as Dr Frankenstein and his associate they are all impressed, apparently the reputation of their practice is quite profound. Paul greets some people too, and Mina seems to be hiding behind Victor a little, offering to take Catherine with a wink at the little girl. Adison hears her explain to Catherine, 'There are some people here who knew me as Lady Hermina Murray, they think I'm dead and should not recognize me. I look very different with my hair coloured and styled like this, but a child on my arm will confuse them even more.'

From her vantage point Adison can see Vincent talking to the few fans from his former role who are important enough to get into this room. Most of his regulars are of a lower class, they will not have the opportunity to talk to their favourite here, not at the premiere at any rate.

Then a guy that George identified as a reporter talks to him, and seems to be complimenting him. Vincent looks very charming, his usual self but in the formal clothing of his role. Adison really wants to kiss him and congratulate him on his performance, but she is afraid to insult someone important.

Until Vincent makes his way to her, with the young man she thinks is Lord Douglas by his side. When her beloved is within reach, he opens his arms to Adison and she embraces him eagerly, he looks different but he really is her very own husband, totally at home among this strange collection of important people. He kisses her, not even totally chastely, then says, 'May I introduce you to Lord Alfred Douglas, Adison? He wants to meet the doctor who has gotten his mother to take daily walks and eat hardly any pies and cream and chocolate at all anymore.'

Lord Douglas, this is my wife Mrs Adison Heathcliff, the love of my life.'

And he means it, that much is clear, he is overflowing with affection.

Adison shakes Lord Douglas' hand, and he observes charmingly, 'I may admire you even more than your husband, Mrs Heathcliff, for though Vincent has taught me so much, not in the least to respect my weapons-master, you have taught my mother about healthy food and physical exercise. And that must have been even harder, she never listens to anyone, but you've managed to get her to exert herself. That is a miracle.'

He is very charming, Adison cannot help being affected by his kind words.

'Thank you so much for your compliments, Lord Douglas. You know we have a reputation for bringing people back from the dead?'

Lord Douglas nods fervently, and says admiringly, 'Your doting husband told me how doctor Frankenstein and yourself saved him from certain death.'

Now Adison goes for the laugh.

'So you know first hand, good. For getting your mother to lose weight was a lot harder, I'm very proud of my accomplishment.'

That has Lord Douglas in stitches, and he states, 'I'm glad to have met you, I've been very jealous of you for a few months, I had quite a fancy for this big strong man of yours, but his unwavering devotion to you also made a deep impression upon me. Now I know it is totally deserved. How did you like his performance tonight?'

He truly has the self-confidence of a noble, telling her such a thing frankly, but his honesty is also very disarming. Adison cannot help liking him.

'I thought he was brilliant, but I'm biassed. I find everything he does fabulous, even reading the adverts in the papers.'

'I may very well be biassed, too,' Lord Douglas replies, 'for I thought he was brilliant, too. My heart nearly broke when they finally got together.'

By this time, Vincent is talking to their friends with an adoring Catherine on his arm, and they all praise him.

'Your little girl is lovely, too, Mrs Heathcliff,' Lord Douglas says softly, seeing the picture of the immensely strong man he knows so well, but with a very small doll of a child in his arms and a soft look on his face.

'Having children is very profound, isn't it?'

'Catherine is not my natural child,' Adison answers frankly, 'so I don't know about the actual having, but it is surely very profound to live with a child, very intense, but very beautiful. She has changed our lives.'

Then Mr Wilde calls out for young Lord Douglas, and he excuses himself and leaves. Before Adison can join her friends, she is addressed by a handsome man, very well-dressed, approaching middle age, who looks vaguely familiar and rather tired.

He addresses her familiarly.

'Mrs Heathcliff, do you remember me? I've enjoyed the play very much, and I really, really want to talk to your husband for a few minutes, but I'm afraid he's still very angry at me and I don't want to put him out or cause a scene. Would you please plead him to see me for a moment, and if he refuses tell me so I can leave before he spots me?'

She still doesn't recognize him, though something tugs at her eyes and at her memory. The tugging at her eyes inspires her to use sight on him, and at the same time she realizes who he is, and he says, 'You don't recognize me, do you? I've changed, aged mainly. I've really tried to better myself, and it shows, oh how it shows.

I'm Dorian, Mrs Heathcliff, Dorian Grey. I know I look like Hell, and pretty soon I'll be residing there. I suppose Vincent still hasn't forgiven me, but I enjoyed his play so much, I just had to try. I barely got in here, no-one recognized me. I got some help from an unexpected quarter.'

And poor Mr Grey, for he does look terrible though he is still very handsome, looks in the direction of a tall man who stands by himself, dressed plainly but not shabbily, with a benevolent look on his face. A clergyman, Adison would say, but how would a clergyman get in here unless he were of a very high rank? And why would he then go to a theatre dressed this plainly? And to such a non-religious piece?