Nature or Nurture Ch. 65-67

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It is going to cost them dearly I'm afraid.

Still, no-one else seems to be on to them, my director and my fellow actors all believe Mr Wilde is teaching Lord Douglas to improve his writing, and nothing more. And if we're telling truths anyway: Mr Wilde is not leading his young lover on, Lord Douglas is very decided in his preferences and not exactly faithful to Mr Wilde. He's the one keeping this relationship intact, and some others besides.'

Their friends all nod in understanding, and Philip says, 'I'm sorry they didn't listen to you, I suppose all their friends must have protested against such a destructive action. I hope this will not cost you your position, supposing the play would suffer for the negative publicity. Your performance was capital, I really enjoyed seeing Adison's husband on stage.'

'George Alexander has assured me he will have a role for me in his next production, whenever it may be. Actually, he told me there may be other theatres interested to offer me a part. But I intend to stay true to George for at least one more production, he has made me who I am, I've learned so much at St James', and they made me feel right at home. Remember how scared I was to be judged on my appearance?'

Another hour later they are all totally worn out and ready for bed. Since their visitors will be heading home the very next day, Adison takes leave of all of them with some regret, they will not be able to go to the country for months yet, with Vincent playing every night.

Vincent also greets all of them affectionately, these are kindred spirits to himself as much as to Adison. Catherine is fast asleep and they take a cab home, leaving Vincent's bicycle at the theatre once again. They can afford to take a cab these days, and with Catherine along they usually do when travelling in the dark, for it is really too cold for her tiny body to sit still and exposed for more than ten minutes.

But the next day they do take her out on the bicycle, for she is going to stay with Bertha once more. This is the fateful night where they are going to confront the Master in his den.

Adison is not happy to be going into danger once more, she especially fears for Vincent, since he is usually the one who gets hurt on these excursions. But if everything works out well, this will be the last one, and they can finally live happily ever after.

Not that she is not happy as it is, but she's just not like Miss Yves, who thrives on danger and excitement. Adison has too much to lose, that must be it. Look at Catherine sitting on the little saddle in front of her dad, she even manages to find some joy in going to stay over with her friend, despite her fear for her parents and friends, isn't she a treasure?

And Vincent himself, always strong, always brave. She was so surprised when he confessed he had made a mistake to promise Father Nicholas to raid the Master's place, he had been so determined to go in by themselves, Adison had not yet voiced her doubts, but she was going to, certainly after Lukas' arguments in the night they all shared love. The night Lukas told them he was actually half a century old, and a god on his own world.

Adison wonders what that means, being a god. Is he all-powerful there? Can he snap his fingers to make things happen? She will ask some day, somehow she cannot imagine Lukas sitting on a velvet cushioned throne and handing out orders. Which may be why he stayed on their world, though his love for Melissa and Paul certainly has something to do with that.

By now they have reached the manor, it's still covered in snow at the end of February.

Catherine feels rather cold as Adison lifts her off Vincent's bicycle, it's difficult to keep such a small body warm. Fortunately they have a nice warm home, not a draughty hovel like the people Adison visits with Lukas to perfect making his healing look like ordinary doctoring.

Still, it will be spring soon, and poor Lukas will have some time to take a breather from the constant demand of suffering fellow creatures, and get nice and warm again. He never complains, but Adison can see the cold is hard on him, and actually picks up some of his feelings.

Sleeping together has made her more aware of him than ever, and sometimes Adison has to force herself to speak her thoughts out loud, to include Mina, but also to keep her distance from Lukas, they both have their own loves and their own lives, and those need to stay separated.

Bertha and Lucy come running out of the house, Bertha taking Catherine's hand and pulling her along towards the house, good, a bit of running will warm Catherine nicely. Lucy throws herself in Vincent's arms, she has made such progress since they started the martial arts. She still prefers to stay away from the men working on the new greenhouse, but she walks taller and is much more visible within the family.

This is such a nice, warm family for Catherine to stay when they are going out, or planning something dangerous, a place where she can be herself and enjoy nature as she cannot do in their city home.

Trying to imagine what the estate will look like in summer, Adison can hardly wait to see the ancient trees of the driveway covered in leaves, and the grass lush and green, with all kinds of wild flowers in bloom among the tall grasses. The gardens must be beautiful, too, if the lush planting in the greenhouse gives any indication of Frances' summer gardens.

Following Vincent and Lucy towards the house, Adison still feels a bit oppressed, they're not here for fun, there is a job to be done tonight, and she is not looking forward to Vincent and Mina confronting the man who ruined their lives. There is but one possible outcome, and no matter who takes the Master's life, either Vincent or Mina will add another life to the burden of guilt they are already carrying. And what will happen to Mr Grey when the Master dies? Will he crumple and die instantly, or fall into dust? Or merely age very rapidly until he dies? Will he suffer very much, will he scream or cry for help?

Not a pleasant prospect, and Vincent will have to go on stage and perform as if nothing is going on before facing this horror. Mr Grey doesn't know of their plans, Vincent just couldn't face him alone, they will pass by his house and either find him in, or not.

Despite taking enough weapons to beat an army they plan to knock on the door and talk to the Master first, but Adison doubts he will ever be able to convince Vincent he is no longer out to rule him and his family.

George meets them at the door, and inside they find all their magic-using friends, not just Paul, Melissa and Lukas, but Tristan and Jakob as well. As they greet each other, a carriage can be heard outside, and George excuses himself to meet his other visitors.

He comes in with a very elegant couple, a slim, conservatively dressed lady of middle years, and a copy of Paul, but also in his middle years. Paul's parents!

George has really mobilized an army, he was not joking. But Paul's parents are not merely two of the most accomplished mages in town, they are also one of the noblest and most influential families in town, and Adison feels for Vincent, who is always aware of his humble origins, and frankly more than he ought to.

Though noble of birth, Adison has no fortune and no connections, and is therefore of no more consequence than her spouse, but at least she is used to associating with nobility.

But there she is mistaken, for Vincent is not at all out of his depth. Since starting at St James' he has met plenty of nobility, and has been praised and flattered by so many rich and influential people that he has gotten used to it.

As George introduces Mr and Mrs Kenwick to all three of them, apparently he doesn't expect Catherine to act the toddler here, Vincent bows and shakes hands as graciously as any noble.

And he doesn't show any emotion but polite pleasure when they praise his acting sky-high!

'We've not been entertained like that for a long time, Mr Heathcliff. Is Mr Vincent your stage-name? You were marvellous, and your reviews, they were positively raving!'

Mrs Kenwick sure likes her theatre, what a nice surprise to find they have seen him play.

'Thank you my Lady,' Vincent replies, 'I'm glad you liked the play so much. I'm very proud to have a part in it. Vincent is actually my first name, but the director thought it sounded better as last name than Heathcliff. I think I agree, though it can be confusing.'

After a little more small talk on plays and theatres, they all sit down and get to the business at hand.

'I've asked all of you to be here because Vincent and his friends are going after an evil sorcerer tonight. We suspect he may be more powerful than they can handle by themselves, though he has come on hard times, but Vincent would rather not include any of us in his party because he is in the company of the head of the Council for Liturgical Purity, better known as the witch-hunters.

Still, we want to secure Vincent's safety, and that of his companions, including Father Nicholas for now.

But since we have reason to believe the site is watched by the witch-hunters, we do not want to expose ourselves needlessly. What we need to decide is, how dangerous it truly is to have one's name known by this Council, and how to prevent it from becoming known to them while still being able to interfere to save our friends if needed.'

'I strongly disagree with your going in there without one of us present.'

Tristan has a tall, imposing figure, even sitting down, but that is not all, there is an aura of power around him somehow.

'Can't you get rid of this Father Nicholas? Can I have him arrested for vagrancy? I hear he moves among the poor a lot, can't we have some overzealous watchman make a mistake?'

And apparently he has a sense of humour as well, which is good for George's daughter Ilsa, who is married to him.

'I'd like us to go together, like in that witch-woman's hideous house. Thanks to you we are cleaning up our beautiful city quite nicely, yet another evil magic-user who has it in for you.'

Poor Vincent lets some of his weariness show as he observes, 'I cannot imagine why they'd want me, but I'd like it to end nonetheless. So what do you propose we do? I need to play my part tonight at St James', and then I am eager to play my part in the follow-up, hopefully for the last time.'

'Since we cannot accompany you with Father Nicholas in your party,' Tristan offers, 'I suggest each of us takes a slice of a thousand yard circle around the house you are visiting.

We check that slice for people checking it for magic-users, and if you are not out in half an hour, no, an hour, we put the sleep on any witch-hunters in our slice, then go in after you. And if Father Nicholas is still alive by then, we decide whether he has seen enough to endanger anyone of us and act accordingly.'

'I say we add an alarm,' Lukas offers. 'I'm certain Adison can warn me, and I'm certain you can give the others a ward of some kind to put in their pockets and activate when they are in danger too great to extract themselves from. Then we proceed with putting people to sleep.'

'What if one of those witch-hunters has a talent of his own?' Frances wants to know, 'that might make him more dangerous than a mere observer.'

'I'd say that makes him a witch himself, Frances,' George offers, 'and therefore very unlikely to remain part of their group.'

'I'd still be alert to that, George' Paul remarks, 'who knows how many of their people with sight are tempted to try a few tricks themselves, in secret. They can always call them miracles if someone catches them at it.'

'True,' George admits. 'Better be very careful then.'

'We know where the house is, don't we?' Tristan wants to know.

'I can draw you a map,' Vincent replies, 'with my memories returned I can find anything in that neighbourhood.'

Surprisingly, Vincent is quite good at drawing straight lines, and within ten minutes he has a rough sketch of the neighbourhood where the Master lives, with the river drawn in for a reference. Vincent carefully marks the house where he so often drank dark red wine in the company of a middle-aged man who plotted to steal his body.

The others choose a slice of the circle around it according to their talents, Lukas of course the most exposed slice, being able to hide in plain sight, and Paul and Melissa another one, since they will be able to pose as a couple making out. Frances will stay in, and Tristan is preparing a silver ward for Victor, Vincent and Mina, so they choose a slice for him to guard.

Adison doesn't need a ward for she can reach out to Lukas by herself, and the other two in their company need to be kept in the dark about the magic involved, unless the Master makes profuse use of it, in which case their cover needs to be blown anyway to save their lives.

Everything decided upon, they arrange to be in their designated place at a certain time, and Vincent and Adison go back home to prepare, while the others stay at the manor to have dinner together and plot some more strategy.

Despite a certain tension, Vincent has no trouble concentrating on his acting. Lord Douglas even manages to control himself, he must be raging with anticipation inside, but he shows his usual, friendly self.

Of course Adison, Mina and Victor attend the show, a veritable arsenal of weapons carefully hidden in Vincent's little corner of the stables, to be retrieved later. Lord Douglas has hidden his beautiful sword beneath Vincent's long coat, in the dressing-room.

Time flies, and before long Vincent is bowing to the crowd with the other players, rushing off to the receiving room for the meet and greet as soon as the curtain has closed the final time that evening. There are plenty of interested visitors to talk to, and since the time for their meeting is not even near, Vincent does not feel rushed.

Father Nicholas is present, and he has another worthy from the church with him. From his attitude, this man is even more important than the Father himself, in the role of head of the Council for Liturgical Purity that is, not the simply dressed priest who helps the desperately poor.

His guest is older, with a fringe of white hair and thick, white eyebrows. He must have been very imposing when they were still dark, and a handsome man in a rugged way. This man is also simply dressed, but looks deceive, for while the cut of his robes is indeed simple, the fabric is of a prime quality.

'May I introduce you to Father Frederick, Mr Vincent? He is a fresh breeze blowing through the Anglican Church at this moment. Father Frederick, this is Mr Vincent, who was already my friend when he was still in a very different profession, and whose rise to fame I was very glad to take note of, though he obviously paid a steep price for his improvement.'

'Father Nicholas will not tell me what your profession used to be, Mr Vincent, he rightfully says that the past should stay in the past. But I can clearly see that you have suffered and have arisen from the ashes of your former life totally transformed, and I rejoice to see this. I enjoyed the play immensely, and your role out of proportion to its importance in the whole. You are indeed very gifted.'

'Thank you very much for your kind words, Father Frederick, I still wonder how you can both enjoy a play that is not altogether respectful towards traditional values, but I am going to take your compliments to heart nonetheless.'

Both clergymen laugh heartily at Vincent's admission, and Father Frederick tries to explain.

'Neither Father Nicholas or myself are very set in our ways. He does what he can for the poor, I try to do my share by improving education for our younger generations. I have always walked the boundaries of what the church accepted, and now Father Nicholas is helping me in that.

I wish all of you the best of luck tonight, my thoughts will be with you all the time, I know what you will be up against. I beg you to take good care of Father Nicholas, he tends to forget himself in his care for others. Please keep him safe for me, and for those less fortunate than ourselves, we need him.'

And with that, the Father puts his hand on Vincent's shoulder for a moment as if in a blessing, then walks away in a brisk pace for someone his age.

'That man is not a mere Father,' Victor says with conviction.

'Indeed he isn't,' Father Nicholas admits, 'though he was not in disguise, he seldom dresses richer than today. He is my direct superior in the church, and he is reputed to become the next Archbishop of Canterbury.

I owe my installation in the Council to him, and he applauds my aim to protect the people of London against evil magic with the help of benign magic. His views on religion have been the source of much discussion, one might call him the Oscar Wilde of the Anglican Church.'

Soon after this most interesting encounter, the lobby starts to slowly empty, and the players change and remove their make-up. Lord Douglas is now definitely showing some signs of excitement, and he addresses Adison.

'I made up an excuse to Oscar and my driver, we'll take a cab, won't we? Or do you use those bicycles?'

'We're taking a cab to a place a few streets removed from our destination. Are you still willing to risk your life in a cause unconnected to you?'

'I guess,' is the young man's reply, 'I don't feel as if my life is in danger, should I be scared?'

'No, Vincent will take good care of you, and the rest of us are quite good in a fight as well. Though not as good as you, according to my beloved husband.'

That gains her a dazzling smile, and right then Vincent returns and hands Lord Douglas his sword as unobtrusively as possible. Together they exit the building towards the stables, and retrieve their arsenal and stow it in their thick coats.

Lord Douglas whistles through his teeth at spotting the swords, and mainly the guns, two for Victor and one for Adison, Vincent relies on his sword and his physical power, Mina does the same, except she is carrying the heirloom sword this time.

'If I have to leave it in the Master's house, let him explain its presence. He did murder me in a way, I can never have my old life back.'

Victor is carrying his sword as well, but Adison is planning to use magic if needed, Lukas' way, reversing healing. That is against her oath as a doctor, but she will only use her magic in dire need, to save her own life or that of one of her friends.

Father Nicholas is unarmed, and Adison wonders whether he has any means of defending himself at all, besides his faith.

They cannot fit in one cab, so they hail two, and set course to Mr Grey's house.

Vincent goes to the front door by himself, and the door is opened by an incredibly beautiful woman in a livery. He gives his name and is immediately admitted.

'I have orders to see you to Mr Grey's study should you show up, sir. Will you please follow me?'

Which he does, crossing the familiar hall, then to a part of the house he doesn't know. Another hall, a sharp turn, and into a room filled to the ceiling with curiosities, unique, tantalizing and hideous, from all corners of the world.

'Another feeble effort to stay amused I'm afraid,' a tired voice sounds from somewhere behind a carved mahogany bookcase.

'I fear to meet you, Vincent, for I have deteriorated once again, but I know I must face our master to be free. It is a good night to die, and you are good company. Let me look at you for a moment while I still can. I guess we'll be sneaking in the dark the rest of the evening, the rest of my life.'

Such pathos, some people just cannot change. But Mr Grey does look awful, he cannot keep up with them like this, he needs some energy straight away or fade completely after just five minutes.