All Comments on 'Never Again'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 6 years ago
Ouch

Not to be self-righteous, but I've never been there. The two friends I have who have both were incapable of seeking treatment. One was lucky to have friends and family to intervene. Though he replaced addiction with proselytizing religion, he has managed to survive and raise three children en route to a 40 year marriage. The other friend drank himself to death, leaving in his wake a devastated ex wife.

I really am enjoying these compact vignettes you've been submitting. I'm not a writer, but I am an artist/painter/teacher, and as such, I analogise these stories to a tightly edited image, wherein the superfluous information is pared away in order to spotlight the primary subject. Simple, but beautifully rendered. Some of your best stuff in my humble opinion.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 6 years ago
Hurts

I have two people in my life who did stop on their own but it was too late.

Both go to GA and AA (seems to happen together.).

Both lost their homes and husbands. They spent every nickel until they had to stop. There is NO hope for reconciliation.

Tough story to read. What really pisses me off is that the government runs gaming in Canada will take every penny even if there know there is an issue and then throw the person to the social system to get fixed up.

No remorse on the casino or bars parts.

I will get off of my soapbox now.

bruce22bruce22over 6 years ago
Real Life

I was lucky. The first time I blacked out on scotch scared me and I never took more than one or two in an evening again.

chytownchytownover 6 years ago
Help At Last***

Hope it's not to late. Thanks for the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Too painful to enjoy

Personally I’ve never liked beer and the sweet lady’s drinks I do like are too much trouble to fix at home. I’d probably have like pot, but as a jock I couldn’t use. My dad wrote software for a chain of felony drug treatment facilities and his stories killed any desire to try anything else. So, I can’t really take credit for being sober but I’ve seen what it can do up close. One of our suite mates is still in the gutter with booze and drugs, and of course my friend Joesephus was killed by what had to be a drunk driver. Finally, I had a brush with prescription drugs years ago after an injury so I know I’m not in a position to throw stones. I don’t have any advice it’s just a damn shame that humans are made this way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Very hard read

This was a good story that got to the heart of the matter. It was just so sad to read. Knowing persons who had to deal with addiction along with losing two friends to it, it is so hard for the family to deal with the destruction it causes.

For those who those say drug/alcohol abuse hurts no one but the user, they need to get beaten senseless. They are part of the problem.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Well

Well how did the story end?.Did his wife come back and what caused his drinking?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
We miss you

Slirpuff,

We miss you and your literary contributions to Lit.

jimjam69jimjam69over 4 years ago
Okay

He sees the light. This time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Maybe It's Not Too Late

Slir, since you aren't writing and posting anymore perhaps you've exorcised your demons? Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
It took a long time and many set backs but I eventually did it.

Yes I gave up the booze.

It has been 3 years sober for me. My wife lets me have my boys for a weekend every second one. We have fun doing men things.

I have started to get my life together finally.

Why did I start drinking. It was a combination of things. My parents and sister were killed in a car accident. My job sucks and I hate my boss but they are just excuses. My father was an alcoholic and I guess I picked up the gene from him.

But anyway it has been 3 years sober and I am feeling great. I go to the gym 5 nights a week and am pretty fit these days as well as strong.

My wife, no we have not divorced yet, has even allowed me to take her out for dinner and a movie a few times. She assures me she has not dated anyone and I believe her. She tells me and still loves me but I need to be sober for 5 years before she will even consider getting back together. She does tell me though, she is proud of how far I have come with my commitment to sobriety.

I also quit my job 2 years ago and found one I actually enjoy doing. Sure it is an entry level position but there is room for advancement unlike my previous job. All I have to do is work hard study after work and who knows maybe I will eventually become a manager at my firm.

10 years sober for me. My wife and I are back together and very much in love. She tells me every day how proud she is of me for giving up the booze and how well I am doing at work. I have just been promoted to Manager of the Shop Floor and am raking in the dollars we live in a nice house with a pool and the boys love their home.

25 years sober. I have bad news for my lovely bride. I have just been diagnosed with Liver cancer and even though surgery may help the doctors aren't too confident. They say that 80% of my Liver will have to be removed to give me a chance. I am still happy though. I have seen my boys grow up into fine young men. They took my lessons to heart and do not drink alcohol at all. They are both doing well. Oh well I have to face this. Do I regret my alcohol filled days? Yes I do because it will take me from my beautiful wife and my kids.

30 years sober. (wife takes over story) Well Steve passed away last year from the cancer. By the time he started treatment it had metastasized to other organs and could not be treated. He hung on for 4 more years after he told me about the cancer.

I was so proud of him when he gave up the alcohol and became the loving man I fell in love with. He was a great dad for the boys and showed them why you should not drink to excess, a lesson which I am glad they have taken to heart. I miss him every day and wish he was still with me.

20 years later. (eldest son takes over) Mum passed away yesterday. She is at last with dad. I remember when I was young when dad used to come home drunk every night and mum was always sad. Dad changed when mum left him and he went on the wagon. My brothers and I could not understand then what happened but over the years we came to understand. My dad gave up the alcohol and 5 years later mum and he got back together and we became a family again. When dad passed away mum went to pieces but she eventually pulled herself together for her grandchildren. I miss my dad and my mum but I know they are together again and will be forever.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Know too many people that this story could have been about - many in my family. I miss you as well Slirpoff.

TheRealMadtexTheRealMadtexalmost 2 years ago

Good story but yet again, there's just not enough here.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesalmost 2 years ago

Sounds like he got off lucky, many do not. Thanks for your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Ending???

FTDS

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Use your imagination. I choose to believe he gets rehab and AA and gets his family back.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Isn't it fitting that his last story published here is about death by alcohol. At least his grammer and other writing skills improved over the years so the stories were more readable. This one told a very realistic tale that many may see as biographical.

detroitdave

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I like to think that he will get his life back and that his family will support him and enable him to do it.

Thank you for all your great stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I sincerely hopes that he get's his poop in a group and not only saves his marriage but also his life .

AnonymousAnonymous7 days ago

The tale seems to resonate with so many of us, whether our story or that of someone close to us. Thank you Slirpuff. (for anonymous from a year ago- the ending was very clear NEVER AGAIN.)

somewhere east of Omaha

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous