New Horizons

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ChuckEPoo
ChuckEPoo
305 Followers

"You're right. I'll try to take you more often. It used to be fun and I don't know why we ever stopped. I guess our lives just got too busy. By the way, you look ravishing tonight. Let's go sit and have another drink."

I didn't want to argue with her, so I put on a smile and tried to prioritize my wife's happiness in the moment.

After Paula and I finished dancing, we all sat and talked, then drank some more. When the crowd started to thin, I suggested we go back to our place for a nightcap. Scott said he wanted to stay and dance some more, and Paula wholeheartedly agreed with him. Then she suggested I go ahead and take Susan home and that they would join us later.

After my make-out session in the garden with Susan, I wasn't sure how I felt about being alone with her. However, Paula and Scott insisted we go. I had forgotten that Susan didn't dance. She must have been bored out of her mind. So, I agreed.

-oOo-

The car ride home was quiet and almost somber because my thoughts were elsewhere. I couldn't take my mind off Paula and her bizarre behavior—that and the garden kiss were foremost on my mind. Susan slid over next to me.

What have I done? Have I jeopardized my marriage on our twenty-first anniversary?

She noticed my angst and said, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing. I'm sorry. My mind was a million miles away. I was thinking how strange tonight has been."

"If you're thinking about what happened between us, you know that kiss was nothing more than two old friends having a little too much to drink."

"Maybe. But it seemed pretty authentic to me. Susan, I've never told you this before, but I had a terrible crush on you when we were in college. If you remember, I was extremely shy back then. The first time we met was at a frat party where we briefly chatted. I couldn't take my eyes off you."

"I vaguely remember that."

"Anyway, by the time I'd mustered up the courage to ask you out, Scotty beat me to it. Then... I met Paula. She was flamboyant and bigger than life. She was tired of waiting for me to make the move, so she did. The rest is history and we married a year later. This is like déjà vu for me. That kiss brought back a flood of memories."

"That's sweet, Tony but that was eons ago. Tonight was just a kiss, so don't make too much out of it."

As we approached the house, it was completely dark and I chastised myself for not leaving at least a porch light on. I opened the garage door and drove inside. When I entered my home, I turned on the lights and sound system. It just happened to be on a soft rock station.

I offered Susan a drink.

"I'll have whatever you're having," she replied.

"Okay. Beer it is."

"That's fine." She smiled.

I handed her a Sam Adams and we discussed her daughter Gina and my son Brad. We both only had one child and they had been dating since high school. Gina was every bit as pretty as her mom. Brad seemed to favor Paula more than me... with his thick dark hair and olive skin. At least he inherited my pragmatic nature.

After talking a while I asked Susan, "Would you like to dance?"

"You know I don't dance. I never learned. My folks sent me to a private religious high school that forbade dancing. I was embarrassed in college because I couldn't dance... so I avoided it."

"How would you like to learn? Anyone can learn to dance."

"Right now?"

"Of course. We'll start with the basics." I changed my sound system to softer dance music and then walked up to her, held out my hand, and asked, "May I have this dance?"

"I would be delighted, kind sir." She giggled.

"Put your hand on my waist and follow me. This is a simple box step. We'll take it slow. Watch my feet and follow me. One, two, three, four, one, two, three four. That's it! Good job! It's the same going the other way back or forward. One, two, three four... See? Who said you couldn't dance?"

"Oh, Tony, you're a wonderful teacher! I can't believe I'm actually doing it!"

"You're a natural. Now try and feel the music in your movement. Relax your frame and sway to the beat... that's it. Perfect."

We continued that for a while until I thought she had the basics. Then, I changed the music to a country western station and taught her the Texas two-step. It was a bit more complicated for her and some toes got stepped on, but Susan was giggling with delight. I held up her hand and she spun, then I dipped her and spontaneously gave her a kiss.

"I don't know why I've never tried this before," she murmured. "Thank you, my dearest friend." She returned my kiss.

"Susan, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Does this evening seem a bit off to you?"

"I don't know what you mean," she answered softly.

I stopped dancing and held her at arm's length with my hands on her shoulders. She looked nervous as I looked intently in her face and studied her reaction. The mood was broken.

"You know exactly what I'm saying, don't you?"

Suddenly, I heard someone clear their throat. I looked around and found Scott and Paula smiling at us.

"Tony was giving me dance lessons," Susan explained. "He taught me the box-step and Texas two-step!"

"If we hadn't shown up, Tony might have shown you how to dance the horizontal mambo," Paula sarcastically expressed.

"Don't be ridiculous," I said. "We were just dancing—nothing that came close to how you two were dancing at the club earlier... Practically having sex on the dance floor."

"Touché, dear." Paula grinned. "How about we open that bottle of wine?"

"I suggest we have some coffee instead. I think we've all had enough to drink." I walked into the kitchen. "Paula, I could use your help."

"I think you can handle a pot of coffee. It's not exactly rocket science, dear. Besides, I need to keep our guests entertained."

"I'll help you." Susan volunteered, following me.

I put five scoops in the filter, poured the water in the reservoir, and turned it on. It immediately started making that gurgling sound.

"Remind me to buy one of those quiet espresso machines."

"Tony, I've had a wonderful evening. I just wanted to thank you." Susan kissed me on the cheek.

I looked in her bright brown eyes and replied, "The pleasure was truly mine. Could you take out the mugs while I get the condiments?"

"I don't use condiments, I'm on the pill." She chuckled

"Very funny."

We walked back to the living room, carrying the service tray and noticed Paula and Scott move away from each other like a couple of teenagers that got caught making out. My wife looked flushed in the face, including her chest. Scott looked away and avoided eye contact with me.

"Time out," I said. "I think you both need to drink some coffee and sober up."

"What are you saying, Tony?" Paula stated defensively. "Nothing is going on." She always took the offense when she was guilty of something.

"What I'm saying is that if our coffee pot was any slower I'd probably be serving you coffee in bed." I laughed.

"Excuse me?" Paula raised her voice. "Be direct. What exactly are you implying?"

"I'm implying you sit over here with me, sweetie. What do you want with your coffee?"

After she seemed to calm down, everyone prepared their coffee as I announced, "There's some important business that we all need to discuss."

"Care to elaborate?" Scott asked.

"I'll start by saying that your daughter and my son came to my office today with a business proposal."

"What kind of proposal are we talking about?" Susan inquired.

"It was a real estate proposal put together by Gina. She's learning her stuff at college very well. Paula, could you take the manila folder out from under the magazines on the coffee table?"

She retrieved it and handed it to me.

"First of all, it's no secret that they are in love, but they want to take their relationship to the next level and move in together."

"How is that possible since they both live in non-communal dorms?" Paula said.

"That's where the real estate proposal comes in. Gina drafted up a proposal that we purchase a condominium close to the college. The money we save in double dorm fees will pay the mortgage payment easily, plus since it's a two-place condo we can rent the top unit out. Gina has also figured out the equity gain over three years. Her figures show that over the term of their education we come out way ahead."

I opened the envelope and handed each person a copy of the proposal.

"However, I have another proposal," I added.

"Well, let's hear it," Scott said.

"As you know, my business is doing quite well. I propose the corporation buy the condo outright and we use the upper room to house business associates from out of town. That way a portion of the rental is tax deductible. Gina's proposal is solid, but this will deflect some of the taxes. What say you?"

Paula's eyes lit up. "Our kids are moving in together?"

Just like my wife. She skipped over the business proposal and went straight to the relational.

"What about the real estate deal?" I said. "I need to give them an answer soon."

After some more discussion, we all agreed it was a wise move. It seemed like yesterday we were changing diapers, and now we were faced with a pending marriage and probably becoming grandparents. We talked some more and I noticed it was after one in the morning.

"I think we need to call it a night, folks." I yawned. "At least we can sleep well knowing our kids have taken their relationship to the next level."

"What about us?" Scott asked.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

"I'm talking about all of us... Are we ever going to take our friendship to another level? We've known each other for what... twenty-two years?" Scott looked serious.

"Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?"

"Yes, I am, Tony. Susan and I have discussed this from time to time for years. Have you ever discussed it with Paula?"

"Swinging? Not that I remember. However, from your actions tonight I'm fairly certain you discussed it with my wife. Am I right?"

"Yes, we did," Paula interjected. "We were just talking, exploring possibilities—that's all."

"Yeah, I could see his exploring hands."

"Tony, I know you've had a crush on Susan for years, maybe since you first met her. Think of this as... letting you act out your fantasy," Scott argued while Susan remained quiet.

"You mean acting out your fantasy," I said. "My fantasy right now is to get some sleep. I am dog tired and want to go to bed. I think you'll have to wait to get in my wife's panties another time."

"You ass!" Paula shouted. "I don't like you accusing me of being unfaithful!" She angrily stormed off before I could stop her.

"I think this is probably the right time to call it a night. We'll discuss this another time while we're all sober," I said, holding the front door open.

-oOo-

Paula rejected my advances that night and gave me the cold shoulder for the entire week. She rebuffed every attempt I made to discuss that whole situation. I was still miffed by Scott's bold offer to swap partners, and even more so when Paula enthusiastically agreed. I was starting to suspect something.

I received a text the following Monday from Susan:

We need to talk. Meet me at Starbucks now.

I replied: I'm working. How about after work?

No! Now! Very important! She seemed very adamant.

-oOo-

When I walked into café, I found Susan sitting in a booth with her laptop opened. Her knee was nervously bouncing and tears were streaming down her face. I knew whatever it was, it wasn't good.

I sat across from her and took her hands, patiently waiting for her to speak. She spent a minute just sobbing and shaking her head when I kept asking her what happened.

"Oh, Tony... this is bad. I don't know what to do!" She sniveled.

"Take your time. I'm here for you."

Still half crying, she blurted out, "Scott is cheating on me!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! Look at this." She turned her laptop toward me.

I was shocked when I saw the picture of Scott in the act of sex with a woman who was obviously not his wife. Then I clicked the next picture and my heart dropped. The other woman was... Paula.

"Oh my God!" I gasped as I clicked one graphic picture after another. "I guess they made good on the swinging proposal," I said in an angry but controlled tone.

"Tony, this was not swinging. Look at the date."

I looked at the time stamp and it said: Nov. 8, 2009.

"Where did you find these?" I asked.

"They were on Scott's laptop."

"I can't believe he could be so stupid."

"They were in a secretly encrypted file. Normally I would never pry into his personal files, but curiosity got the best of me. I asked Janice—you know how she works at an IT company—anyway, she helped me. It took her but a few minutes to remotely break the code."

We both gasped as the files came into view.

"So, your friend saw these pictures?" I asked, feeling sick to my stomach.

"Yes, but she promised to say nothing. There's so much more than these photos. There are love letters, emails, and videos going back years! How could I not have known? How could we not have known?"

"Susan, I'm in shock. Like you, I had no clue any of this was going on. But what I do know is that my marriage is over. There is no way to forgive this blatant betrayal by both my wife and supposed best friend. I'm shaken to the core."

"This must be why Scott has been pushing swapping with me for months now. I couldn't understand why. I guess he thought if he could convince us to swap, they could come out of the shadows and we would suspect nothing. I don't know what to do. What we are going to do?" Susan broke down in tears.

I went to her side of the table and wrapped my arms around her, saying nothing. We were two wounded souls, sharing a common purpose. I kissed the tears from her eyes.

"This has taken me by surprise," I said. "I don't know about you, but I'm going to contact my attorney. This is gonna be one hell of a mess. Paula is incredibly vindictive when confronted. For now, I'm gonna have to act like nothing happened until I figure this out. I suggest you do the same. Those pictures make me want to puke. I know my marriage is over."

"Tony, I know nothing except being a wife and mother. I don't have an attorney, nor do I have a clue where to find one. How can I afford a lawyer? How will I live? I've never worked."

I convinced Susan to copy all the files and not say anything to Scott while I got things started on my end. She was somewhat relieved when I told her that I would take care of her attorney and the cost. The first thing was to contact a divorce lawyer. After speaking to my corporate attorney, she referred me to an associate.

-oOo-

Mark Beguiler was a gregarious man at first impression. He was rather short and overweight but had an inviting smile. We shook hands and he invited me to sit.

"I guess I don't need to ask why you are here," he said. "After listening to your voice mail, I'll be right up front and say there is nothing called an amicable divorce. I'm sorry for your situation, but this is a no fault state, which means you need not produce evidence of infidelity except when young children are involved. I see you filled out the questionnaire. Let's start with what you hope to gain from this."

"What I hope is to rid myself of that lying cheating slut and never see nor speak to that cunt again!"

"Well, Mr. Stewart, that is easier said than done. From your questionnaire, you have considerable assets and your spouse doesn't have any form of support other than you. Along with your considerable investment portfolio and retirement, this is going to be a very costly settlement."

"I thought this was a 50/50 state."

"Tony—may I call you Tony?"

I nodded.

"Using simple math, even at an equal split, this is going to cost you millions. Then there is the issue of alimony. You'll be lucky to settle for two hundred thousand a year."

"So, I'm going to have pay the cheating cunt to dump her? I built this business on my own. She did nothing but spread her legs for whoever!"

"I might suggest an alternative strategy."

"Like what?"

"I suggest either reconciliation or to just do nothing and figure out how to live with her. If she divorces you, then you will pay far less."

The term "cheaper to keep her" was probably coined by a divorce attorney.

"Work out the numbers and I will decide," I said. "Plus, I want to pay for the other aggrieved party in this. I included her information."

We stood and shook hands.

"I'll have the proposal ready for review by Friday," Mark said. "Make an appointment with my secretary. I suggest that you bring Mrs. Morrison with you, also."

-oOo-

I managed to hold it together around Paula, even though I despised the very site of her. Trying to act normal required a performance worthy of an Oscar. I was able to talk with Susan several times and encourage her to do as I had done and raise no suspicion from Scott.

On Friday we sat in Mark's office and waited for him to retrieve his proposal. Susan was shaking with nervousness but managed to act calm.

"First of all, I'd like to point out how very different your circumstances are. Mrs. Morrison, your assets are minimal and except for sentimental items, there is very little to split. The second mortgage and credit card debt means it is likely you will be just splitting debt. I suggest if you move forward with the divorce you will need to find employment as soon as possible. Any alimony collected will be nominal."

Susan couldn't speak. The tears started to run down her face. Mark handed her a box of tissues.

"Mr. Stewart," he continued, "as we already discussed, your situation is from an economic perspective, precarious at best. Look at page four; this summarizes a best-case scenario for you. You can see the only one benefiting from a divorce is your wife."

I looked at the summation and my mouth dropped open. She would get enough from me to buy a small island. Until this moment, I hadn't really considered my net worth. He pointed out that by changing my business from a sole proprietorship to an S corporation I'd made things worse for a divorce settlement. I had made Paula a corporate officer by title only. It was at that moment I started formulating my strategy. I thanked Mark for his advice and said I would let him know what to do within a weeks' time. He suggested we shred our paper work or risk tipping off our spouses.

-oOo-

After dropping Susan off at her house, I immediately started executing my partially formed plan. I knew divorce was not an option and realized that simply played into Paula's hands. Remaining married meant that I had control over the situation. A divorce would mean the court system would dictate how much financial compensation Paula received. While married I was in charge.

I talked to my accountant and gave him a list of changes to be executed on a given date. Among those changes was removing Paula as a signer on all my accounts. She was to be given five hundred a week cash and a twelve-hundred-dollar limit on her Visa card. All other cards were to be cancelled. She would be removed as a corporate officer and have no legal input into the business.

During the following month, Susan and I met several more times, avoiding phone calls or text messages so we would not tip off our spouses. The deception was getting easier, but I was running out of excuses to not have sex with Paula. Just the thought of it made me ill. She would parade around in revealing lingerie or nude, trying to entice me. I knew I couldn't delay my final phase of the plan much longer.

My plan was three-fold. First, was to execute the financial plan. Second, was to purchase the condo for the kids and set them up with a trust fund. No reason why their education should suffer because of stupid mistakes their parents had made. The final step was to confront Scott and Paula with our knowledge of their cheating ways and to spell out the consequences.

ChuckEPoo
ChuckEPoo
305 Followers