Ogres and Ogresses Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Did they just get farther and farther away until they reached the ends of the earth and...disappeared?

"What are you thinking about?"

Her sister's voice boomed above her. She didn't have the energy to fight so she curled deeper into her furs.

"You have two days left with us and this is how you will spend them?" Kyzu berated.

She knelt beside her and sighed. "Would it help you move on if I told you this was my fault?"

Zyra folded the fur back and stared at her blankly. "How?" Her voice was raspy from crying and disuse.

"I told the ogre he was useless. I told him that if he didn't give you a reason to come back to us, he was useless."

"That doesn't sound like you telling him to leave me," Zyra mumbled.

Kyzu shrugged. "Maybe that talk drove him to it. It's just...Zyra...you're so self-destructive. You're too self-destructive Zyra."

She reached down and touched her hair. "It's getting long. Do you want to cut it?"

Zyra looked beside her at the dark locks. She had been growing it so Kail would have something to hold on to. He had liked it. Her mind flashed back to the terrible long-haired version of herself.

"Yes. I want it short."

"Alright," Kyzu said. "Let me get a knife."

"Use mine," Zyra offered. She got up of her own volition, found her sharpest knife and placed it in Kyzu's hand. She found a comb and a brush and added that too.

Kyzu looked at her with a measure of disbelief, but she followed suit. "Um...your hair might get in your furs. I think we should...go outside?"

Zyra grimaced at the hopefulness on her face.

Gharla and the others listened intently from the outside.

"Sure, whatever," she agreed.

Kyzu moved gingerly, almost as though she feared startling her. She followed after, the sun blinding her as she felt her way to the log in front of her tent ground.

She sat still while Kyzu took the comb and flattened her hair down. Her friends observed her silently as she watched them emotionlessly.

"Are you sure?"

"I want it short," Zyra said firmly. "Shorter than before. Short like..."

Her eyes scanned the crowd. "Rair."

Her finger jutted out to the cropped cut that lay flat against Rair's head. She had a few short pieces in the front and none of the hair was longer than an inch from the earlobe.

Kyzu's eyes widened in surprise. "Really? That short?"

"Will you cut it? Or not?"

Kyzu looked uneasy, but she was unwilling to lose the progress she had made. She had talked to Zyra before and she had simply ignored her.

"Very well."

Then Kyzu began to cut. Zyra focused on the feel of the hair coming loose, of her head becoming lighter each moment that passed by. She closed her eyes and saw his smiling face. He was her first, her first lover and love. He would always hold a special place in her heart. She would never be over him, but if he truly loved her than maybe neither would he. She wanted to let herself fall into idea of changing his mind. She wanted to sink into dreams of returning and becoming his, but she couldn't.

It was too dangerous. Zyra had a mission right now. That mission was to come back to her people. Even if her consummation was questioned and Zyra was gone after her 22nd birthday, she would still return to say her goodbyes. Zyra needed new eyes. She needed to see the world, the valley, the tribal land in a different way. Zyra didn't need to feel sad. She could bury that. She was going on an adventure. As dangerous as it was, she could not deny that beneath her hatred and fear there was a measure of curiosity. She had seen some fantastical things in the valley. She had actually fought and defeated a basilisk. And then she had nearly done other things with him too. Without Kail, there would be no moral obligation, no trigger telling her to stop before it was too late. She could do what she wanted. And she was resolved now, to live her life, to do what she wanted if it felt right.

Then, when it was over and she was to return, if her feelings were the same she would fight for him. Kail wasn't going anywhere, and if he did, she would find him. She would always find him for as long as she loved him. Zyra wasn't going to pretend she was okay with this, but she could live.

She was going to live.

"Done."

She opened her eyes when her sister called out. Lifting her head up, she looked at her as she tugged the strands at the front of her face.

"Looks good," Kyzu said nodding. "It's not exactly what you want, but that's as short as I'm willing to go. Call it selfishness."

Ginger came forward and produced a mirror. She looked into it and touched her face. Her features were more pronounced without the hair in the way. The back was a series of haphazard waves that lines up evenly at the bottom. She looked older, which was nice for a change. It was pretty close to Rair's hair, but the wavy texture of her hair wouldn't have fallen the same way. Kyzu was wise to improvise. It was shorter than she normally went for. It was new. That was all she had wanted.

"It's perfect," Zyra said nodding. "It's good. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Kyzu stated.

Zyra stood up and stretched her arms up to the sky. She let out a long yawn and turned to her.

"I'm hungry."

"We have food by the fire," Enui quipped.

Zyra gave her a tiny smile which made her family look overly-relieved.

"That sounds great."

Then they took her to the campfire and she began to work on making some sweet memories.

__________________________________________________

The time passed too quickly for all of them. There weren't enough words to describe her feelings. Nima had asked her usual questions when they ushered her into Zyra's tent.

"Why are we all sleeping in here?"

"Hush," Kyzu had cooed. "Hug your auntie."

They had all had a piece of her, a piece of skin brushing against theirs. Ginger had started to cry early and Gharla tried her best to hush her up. The two of them were naturally emotional despite Gharla's attempt to appear otherwise. At dawn Zyra rose and managed to leave without waking them. She took a long bath in the stream she and Rell loved, and then dressed in her green keromedio outfit. When she came back the others were also up.

Wordlessly everyone found a job to do. Ginger began to pack her clothing, stitching things she deemed necessary, adding garments on a whim. Enui worked on making sure her spear was sturdy and filed down some new heads which she wrapped in bits of leather. Gharla re-strung her bow until the hairs could have played music. She wound cord carefully and checked all of her arrows. Kyzu gathered food for her and filled her water skin. Rair packed up her necessary items, her private things, little things, important things.

She sat in the field of flowers with Nima and smiled as the girl covered her in flowers.

"Why did you cut your hair auntie?"

"I wanted to look different?"

"Why?"

"Well, sometimes change is good."

"Oh. Should I cut my hair?"

"Oh no Nima. Your hair is much too lovely."

"Can you braid it? With flowers?"

"Of course."

She combed the soft strands through with her hands, leaning to her head and taking a deep inhale. She wanted to remember. Nima smelt like flowers, flowers and oil.

She braided with gentle patience until a work of perfection lay on Nima's head. Her bright eyes sparkled brightly as she smiled. A flower bracelet hung from Zyra's wrist and a crown of daisies and wild orchids lay on her head.

"God I love you," she breathed, pressing a hand to the girl's face.

She beamed up at her. "I love you too Auntie Zyra."

Zyra smiled. "You always have. Always."

She lifted her up on her back and ran her around. Her speed was normal, her powers were draining. It didn't matter though, Nima still laughed in glee.

"Higher, higher!"

Zyra chuckled, asking the age old question. "How high?"

Nima stretched her arms out into the sky.

"Straight to the moon!"

She obeyed, lifting the girl as high as she could and spinning her until she lost her balance. She cupped her close as she fell onto her back. They giggled uncontrollably, holding each other tight.

Zyra looked up. It was fully morning now. They needed to move or they wouldn't make it before sundown.

Looking up she saw Rair had come to collect her.

"It's time."

Zyra nodded. Wordlessly she picked up Nima and they walked back.

"Where are we going Auntie?"

Zyra sighed. "I'm going on a mission Nima."

"For the village?"

"Sort of, yes."

"Oh."

She was sated for a moment, but not for long.

"Are you going too Rair?"

Rair shook her head no.

"Oh."

Silence again.

"Who is going with you?"

"No one," Zyra stated.

The others were there waiting for her with a simple pack. It was surprising how they had managed to put so much in such a small pack. It might have been even smaller than Rell's had been their first time into the valley.

"Tie the sleeping net around you," Enui instructed.

She nodded, doing as she was told. A few of the veteran huntresses were there as were a few villagers. She had said her formal goodbyes the night before. Imjah and Firetoucher stood in a respect stance, their spears in their right hands, their legs far apart.

Zyra put Nima down and walked over to Kyzu.

"I don't want her seeing them," she whispered quietly. Kyzu nodded gravely. Nima would stay here.

When she was laden with her supplies and weapon, she turned to her huntresses.

"Did you ever find Henna?" she asked.

Imjah shook her head. "No, she was never found."

"Keep looking," Zyra commanded. "Even after I am gone."

"Yes my huntress."

Then she turned to them. "As you know I will not be here to govern you as lead huntress. You know the circumstances of my departure. Therefore, it seems fitting that before I leave, I choose a new lead huntress to take my place. If I return, it will make no difference."

Gharla shook her head in protest, tears beginning to pool. "I will not take it from you Zyra. You cannot make me."

Zyra smiled at her and put a hand on her shoulder. "It is true that you and Enui are very skilled and capable," she said, "But I was not going to give it to you Gharla."

Her eyes went to Rair, and she held her gaze. The Asian woman's jaw dropped and she pointed to herself doubtfully.

"Me?"

"Yes, you Rair," Zyra exclaimed. "I believe you would be a capable leader."

She ignored the evil looks Imjah threw her and instead put a hand on Rair.

"I know you can do it Rair. You are capable and skilled, but you don't let your emotions get the best of you. You are strong and loyal. You've proved that loyalty to me more than once. It is that loyalty which I need for my sister the Chieftess and our village. You will take care of them no matter the cost and stay level-headed. Please take this title from me."

"Zyra..."

"Please."

Rair stared at her hard and gave a jerky nod.

"Thank you."

She hugged Imjah and Firetoucher, and then bent down to pick up Nima.

"I'll never have enough time with you," she whispered in her hair.

Reaching around her neck she pulled off the chain that held Rell's memento and placed it around Nima's neck.

"Here," she said smiling. "For you. Hold onto it until I get back."

Nima grinned brightly, playing with the odd key on the chain.

"It's pretty."

"You're prettier."

She tickled her and the girl squirmed, giggling in her arm.

"I love you," Zyra said.

"I love you too Auntie," was the automatic response.

She kissed her forehead one last time and released her to the soil.

Her heart sank when she put her down. It was one of the hardest things she ever had to do.

"Come on," Zyra ushered. Her huntresses followed. Kyzu handed Nima over to Imjah.

"Go with sister Imjah okay?"

Nima looked confused, her tiny nose wrinkling.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"We're going to walk your auntie off."

"She's going now?"

"Yes."

"When will she be back?"

Kyzu looked up at Imjah. "Take her."

Imjah nodded and lifted Nima up.

"Mommy?"

"I'll be back soon Nima."

"But when will Auntie come back?"

Kyzu walked after her sister, ignoring her daughter's shrieks.

"Mommy! MOMMY!"

When she started calling for her Auntie, Zyra picked up her pace. It would have been unbearable if she had her power.

They walked on for a long ways, taking a few breaks in between. It meant nothing really. Time seemed irrelevant. They were silent.

The sun was about to set when the border was in sight. The witches weren't there yet, but Zyra knew they were close, she could feel it.

Before she went closer she froze and hugged her sister.

"I love you Kyzu."

Kyzu held her tightly and the two sisters held each other until their arms began to tremble. Kyzu pulled back, her eyes fierce.

"I don't care about the law."

Zyra looked at her in confusion, then understanding. "Kyzu..."

"I don't care about the law Zyra. I am serious. More serious than ever. When this is over, you come home. Do you understand?"

Zyra nodded. "I understand."

"Good."

Kyzu hugged her again. "I love you too."

"How touching."

Their heads snapped to the snarky voice that had interjected.

Caligula and Etaceh stood at the border, a glee in their eyes that made Zyra want to punch their faces.

"It took you long enough," Caligula lulled. "We were beginning to worry."

"And you cut your hair," Etaceh cooed. "What an adorable pixie cut. I could just eat you up. Don't you look all grown up."

"I'm saying my goodbyes," Zyra snapped.

Caligula raised his hands innocently. "Don't' worry my dear. You have until sunset as always. Take your time."

She turned back to them and hugged her friends. She was about to tell them to care for Kail when she saw him standing just beyond the group. When their eyes met she could have sworn everyone disappeared. It was just them in the entire world.

Quietly she walked towards him. He looked down at her, the tension between them like acres and acres of land, but Zyra would cut it right down the middle if he'd just let her.

"I didn't think you would show."

He didn't respond, instead he handed her a long cloth parcel. Unravelling it she saw it was the sword he had made for her.

"You'll need it." He produced a belt as well with a place to hold the sword.

She wrapped it around her waist and slipped the sword in. It was a perfect fit.

"Thank you."

She wanted to hug him, to do anything, but they stood apart. If there was any love left between them it was like glass. Anything could destroy it right now.

"I still love you," she whispered.

"I know."

"So it is true?" Caligula said chuckling.

She turned back to see him shaking his head.

"Wow, even after everything he's done, you still love him? You must have a heart of pure gold."

Kail clenched his teeth and Zyra's eyes narrowed.

"This isn't about you. Can I have this moment? I deserve that much."

"You deserve much more my dear," Caligula drawled. "You deserve much, much more."

His purple eyes fixed on Kail and she watched him stiffen. "You wouldn't..."

"Do you want to know why Kail was exiled?" Caligula asked a matter-of-factly.

"Stop it!" Kail snarled.

"No," Zyra barked. "I don't."

"Even if it involved you?"

That gave her pause. She shook her head. "How could it involve me Caligula?"

He smirked. "Well, your kind anyway."

"Caligula, no."

"Afraid she'll leave you?" he said cruelly. "Afraid your little love won't last when she learns who you really are? Look at him Zyra. Look at him...closely."

Zyra tried not to obey but she looked at Kail and was afraid of what she saw.

"Kail. I—"

"My dear little keromedio," Caligula enunciated. "Kail was exiled because of...murder."

Her head snapped to stare at Caligula, and then back at Kail.

"Kail?"

"A year before you arrived, Kail murdered our previous keromedio. A hermit who lived near the Shashanen tribes lands. He killed your predecessor Zyra, and he did not have the courage to tell you."

The conversations of the previous keromedio sprung into her mind.

I knew a keromedio once.

He had claimed not to know what had happened to him. He had known so much about the keromedio, now she knew why.

"Kail..."

She stared at him unblinkingly, but Kail could not look her in the eye.

Caligula chuckled deviously, deeply amused by what was occurring. Her sisters watched them in horror, unable to believe what was being said.

"You didn't tell her, I knew you wouldn't have," Caligula laughed.

"Kail..."Zyra tried again.

"I know you Kail. I have always known you. You act like you are in control, you act like you know who you are, but you are nothing more than a coward. You might press your hand to the fire but you will always pull away when the fire gets too hot. Won't you?"

"Tell me it isn't true."

"Won't you?"

"Kail, tell me it isn't true!"

An invisible string pulled her from beside him and towards the border. She yelped as it dragged her away and her fingers reached out to Kail. His fingertips brushed hers and she missed his hand.

"Stop! Caligula!"

"You see Zyra? He can't."

He pulled the string harder, delighting in her struggles. The huntresses tried to grab her and Ginger held her by her legs, but she continued to move.

"It's perfectly alright Zyra," Caligula cooed. "You won't have time to worry about him. Think of this as...a fresh start, ripe with new beginnings. Time to say goodbye now."

"NO!"

Her friends were suddenly repelled by a force that scattered them back. The full force of the string pulled now and she looked at Kail with desperation.

"Tell me you wouldn't!"

He looked at her and gave her a sad smile.

"Zyra...I love you."

She screamed as she landed in Caligula's arms, Etaceh opening a portal behind them.

"Kail!"

"Goodbye."

"Kail! NO!"

The witch's arms clamped over her and she was

hauled through the rippling portal. She landed, hard on the cold white tile of the Marble Tree, her body and soul jarred by what had happened.

She watched the Rovian forest disappear as the ripple closed, leaving her in the blue luminescent darkness that the tree omitted.

Etaceh gave her a blood red smile, stepped around her. Her bony fingers extended to help her up.

"Welcome home my dear," she said gleefully.

"Welcome home."

____________________________________

*NOTES*

A special thanks to a reader who assisted me in the editing of this chapter. We are both only human, but I believe our combined efforts should have helped considerably to my usual errors.

SO THANK YOUR FELLOW READER "Frank."

Without him, this chapter wouldn't have seen the light until like...end of November.

So...

AHHH!!! KAIL IS A MURDERER! I have been setting up this reveal for months my children, I HAVE TO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! I know several of you are going to go insane with what has occurred, but I promise...

It gets better.

But before that, it must get worse. Worse as in, I'm going on Hiatus for school...

but it's just until the end of November/beginning of December!

Stay strong and the more you comment, the more I feel pressure to write.

Love you all per usual,

-Stubborn Dreamer