OK Ch. 06-09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'That's it really. Will that do?

John: Thanks Phil.

So ended the booklet. The lack of any description other than the words, made it seem stark, but the contributions combined to give a clear picture of what happened.

--

Chapter Eight

John enjoyed with some satisfaction the expressions which passed over Carol's face, but especially the uncertainty and discomfort. Eventually she put the booklet down and looked woebegone and worried at first, then her face changed to the hard glare it had when she arrived.

John decided to rub salt into the wound. He pointed to the photo's on the table.

"This picture shows Dannie as we tried to put her dress back on. The second was taken when I was taking her to her room. The third is obviously entering the room. Then in this one, she had sicked all over me and her. This one, I was still trying to get her filthy clothes off. This one, I'd succeeded but she pulled me onto her; she was giggling. It was then I saw she was going to spew again and rushed her to the bathroom, and the next picture I'd got her clean and dry and was bringing her back to the bed. This final one, I was trying to get her under the duvet, and failing. By then she was spark out and a dead weight."

"Very clever John," she said complacently. "How did you put that lot together? You wrote all that yourself didn't you? Pack of lies just to get out of admitting your guilt."

Everyone sat still, stupefied.

At first John did not grasp what she was saying, then as the meaning of her disbelief permeated his brain he felt a surge of rage, got up and left the pub without another word or so much as a glance at anyone. He did not see the look of confusion on Carol's face as he went.

"You stupid, stupid cow," said Susan. "You don't want him to be innocent do you? You can't see how stupid and downright nasty that remark of yours was, can you?

"If John was cheating, would he have invited someone in to photograph it so they could send you the photo's? The photo's are all taken from the doorway, so the door was left open.

"You know John; if he were going to have sex would he have left that hotel door wide open? Unless perhaps he was in some sort of trouble? Do you really think he would be walking about naked and not notice someone taking photo's unless he was totally busy? And that leaves out the question of who took the photo's and how did they get them to you? And why."

"Gary got them!" Carol said, smarting under Susan's attack.

"From whom?" Susan asked with some aggression.

"A Private Investigator."

"Who hired him?"

"I... I... don't know."

"You don't know! It never crossed your tiny mind did it? You were so certain John had betrayed you, you never thought to question anything!

"Who's Gary best mates with? Who was also at the conference? Another thing, do you really think that John would invent a statement from the Chief Executive Officer? Is he suicidal?" Susan's words dripped scorn.

"And you've just called me a liar, Carol," Tom added. "I was there."

"You're his mate. You'll say anything."

Carol was beginning to look more and more desperate.

"And all those other people?" said Tom getting angry. "They were there too!"

"How do I know they were real people?" She asked, bitterly. She gestured at the booklet. "It's just paper! He's taken you all in. Not me!" but her voice betrayed her uncertainty and growing desperation.

Things got quiet.

"He's got the recordings," said Tom quietly, "Here's a CD of the interviews."

He threw it on the table. "You can ring any of those people. Why should they lie?"

Carol's face began to register surprise, confusion, then shock, fear and finally crumpled in distress. Then she sat back. She slumped, and a tear began to fall down her cheek.

"Carol darling," said Susan gently, "The Chief Exec. said that Liam got Dannie so drunk she could hardly stand. Everyone thought Liam did that to get into her pants, but then, when he could have taken her upstairs, he asked the Chief Exec. to help when John was with him.

"Everyone knows a Chief Exec. wouldn't do that in person, and who was sitting next to him? If Liam didn't get her so drunk for himself, why do it? Put it all together Carol.

"Who took the photo's? Who was walking back from the room when the lovebirds were approaching - he even made a comment about Dannie being naked!

"Tom said Liam had a camera and he disappeared after John took her to her room - Liam said he went to the loo immediately after. Are you thick or something, Carol?"

"Interesting Liam was right there to 'help' you when you got the photo's," Tom observed. "Who urged you to ignore John? Avoid him? Who beat John up? You know it was your brothers. They have never liked John, but they're best mates with Liam."

Carol sat still, tears trickling down her face. She had a hopeless look in her watery eyes.

"You turned everyone against him," said Susan. "You had him beaten up - or Liam did. John had no one but Bill and Tom here. He tried and tried to find out what he'd done. Then when he came out of hospital - hospital Carol - he gave up the struggle, and went to London."

There was a silence during which the only sounds were Carol's breaths as she quietly sobbed.

"Do you know why Liam was fired?" asked Tom.

Carol looked up. "He said John was jealous of him having me."

"Listen to this," Tom played the tape, though he knew he should not have.

Carol paled when she heard the confrontation.

"You see what he was doing?" asked Tom. "He was trying to keep John away from you. He was frantic. Why? What would you have found out if you'd talked with John?"

Carol said nothing for a long while. She looked tired and defeated. Eventually she spoke: "Me and my fucking temper. So stupid. So stupid." She seemed dazed and apathetic.

"Take her home," said Tom to Susan. "I'll talk to John."

Susan lifted Carol who seemed half awake and who followed her unresistingly. Susan guided her to the door and was gone. Tom got out his mobile and called John.

"Where are you?" he asked him.

"In the car."

"Come back in, they've gone."

They sat in front of their pints and said nothing.

Eventually Tom spoke. "She even said I'd lie about it because I'm your mate. She was hanging on to her story like grim death. She was very frightened, John.

"Anyway, she's accepted it now and she's destroyed. She rejected what you were telling her in self-defence. I don't think she could face what she's done. And what she's lost. Don't think too badly of her John."

"Either that or she's gutted I've found out. She'll be worried what her friends will think. Oh, I don't really care any more. I wanted to show her I was innocent. She knows now. I suffered for three years, now it's her turn. At least it's all out in the open. She's got to live with it, as I have."

He looked up. "Where's the book?" he asked.

"Susan took it for Carol along with the CD," Tom said. "She thought Carol should read it again."

"Good."

Tom spoke once more. "Carol wouldn't talk to you when she divorced you, and look what it's done. Do me and yourself a favour; if she calls, answer and invite her to talk. Please?"

John thought. This man was not only a good friend but a wise one. He was right. One way or the other, they would talk, but that was all they would do.

"All right, I'll see her," he said, "if she asks, though somehow I doubt she will."

Tom drove him home and John thanked him. As John went to bed feeling exhausted, he was relieved it was Saturday the next day. A lie in. As sleep approached he felt vindicated. She knew what she'd done, and it hurt her. Good. He slept with a smile on his face, glad to be back at home.

--

Susan drove Carol back to her home, her flat. When they arrived in the car park, there was Liam's car. There was no one in it.

"Come up with me," begged Carol, "I can't face him tonight. I need to deal with him, but not tonight. I want my keys back."

Susan tucked her arm in her friend's and they climbed the stairs to the flat. Carol got out her keys and they entered.

Carol walked ahead of Susan into the living room. Sitting there were Gary and Liam.

Liam jumped up. "What lies has he been telling you? Are you all right? Was it bad?"

"Go home Liam," she muttered, sounding as drained as she felt.

"I'll stay here with you, look after you," he said he came towards her with an outstretched hand to guide her to a chair. She flinched away.

"Leave me alone!" she snarled at him. "Just get out of my flat. Give me my keys back. We're finished."

"I knew it! He's got to you. Look baby it's all lies!"

"What's all lies?" Carol was coming to life as her anger rose.

"Whatever he said," stuttered Liam. "He'd say anything to get you away from me. Jealous bastard!"

"Hey, Sis," said Gary, rising and approaching her, "Liam is your fiancé. You're going to marry him. You should believe him over the lies that fucker told you. He fired Liam, you know - spite, that's what it was."

"Gary, you really are a stupid prick," snarled Carol at her brother. "Liam was fired because he made threats against his boss. He threatened to trash John's house, and then Lee goes and trashes it. You two are right morons.

"I'm too tired to talk, I now know exactly what happened at that conference, Liam, and I've blown a perfectly good marriage to a lovely man because I listened to you and your 'PI's report'. You've destroyed my life. Now get out and leave the keys Liam, we're finished and you're dead to me. You're lucky not to be sued for what you've done, but I'll make sure everyone knows about it. Now just get out!"

"You stupid cunt," yelled Liam. "He's got to you. He'll never take you back now you've been fucked by me. He'll have the picture of me between your legs banging your cunt silly."

Carol slapped him. It was not a woman's slap: she drew her hand right back and followed through. It did not simply sting him; it knocked him to the floor.

"You fucking slime!" she shouted. "I gave myself to you because I believed those stupid photo's, and I'll always regret it. Every time I think of you I'll feel as sick as that poor girl you abused. You're a stupid devious lying prick Liam. Now get out of my flat."

"No one slaps me and gets away with it," he began to get up and lunged at Carol. However, his chin made contact with Susan's boot and he collapsed dazed.

"Gary," Susan said smiling at him, "be a darling and remove this turd from the carpet. Find his keys and leave Carol's keys behind. He won't be coming back.

Gary grinned at Susan. He'd always fancied her. He did as he was told, left the keys, threw Liam over his shoulder and walked out of the flat, knocking Liam's head on the doorframe on the way out.

"Sue?" said a pale and tearful Carol as Sue closed the door, "Can you stay with me tonight?"

"Of course."

"I've been a fool."

"Yes."

"I've lost him haven't I?"

"Carol!" Sue was quite sharp.

"What?"

"Why are you in this mess?"

Carol thought. "I should have let John explain. I wouldn't talk to him."

"Carol, darling."

"Yes?"

"Don't repeat past mistakes."

"He'll never talk to me now."

"Carol, wake up!" she admonished the tearful woman. "He's waited three years for this, doesn't that tell you something?"

"What?" Carol questioned, too tired and wrung out to think.

"He must feel something for you, to be so keen on telling you what really happened."

"I hope so. Oh, God, let him talk to me."

"Bed now darlin'."

--

Chapter Nine

John came to consciousness late in the morning, awoken by the ringing of his doorbell. He struggled into his dressing gown and went downstairs, switching off the alarm as he did so. He opened the door.

There on the doorstep stood a frightened Carol. She looked at him and burst into tears, covering her face with her hands.

"Come in, Carol," he invited, sounding and feeling resigned. "Come and sit down in the kitchen. I'll make some tea. Have you had breakfast?"

She nodded, and followed him to the kitchen. It was a large room, and had a table in the centre. He gestured to Carol to sit at it, which she did. Her weeping abated into occasional sobs and sniffs, while he busied himself with kettle and teapot. Neither of them spoke.

At length, he placed a mug of tea in front of her and sat across the table from her. He gazed at her. She was staring at the table, taking sobbing breaths. He saw again how beautiful she was. And how distressed. But...

But what? he asked himself, and of course he had his answer. Again he rehearsed it. She had condemned him without a trial; she had divorced him; she had him beaten up; she had deprived him of his happy marriage; she had deprived him of many friendships, she had been fucking that toe-rag Liam. He was angry at that; he resented her arrogance and bitterness, her righteousness so stupidly misplaced.

Now she was sorry. Now she was experiencing the regrets he had experienced. Now she felt the guilt and the shame. Now she understood something of what he had suffered. Good!

So what was she here for? To tell him she loved Liam and to leave her alone? To apologise for deceiving him and making him suffer? He caught himself in those thoughts, he hoped he would find out soon enough.

"So?" he asked.

She looked at him and once again there were those beautiful blue eyes, even though the whites were now bloodshot with her weeping.

"I'm so sorry," she said. "I feel so embarrassed. I had so much and I threw it all away. What a fool! I'm sorry I hurt you so badly John."

"Well," he retorted. "At long last you're getting something right. You do realise that I can't trust you any more? I don't know if you're honest or lying to me."

"Sorry?" she looked puzzled. "I don't understand."

"Shame you didn't say that when your neanderthal brother gave you the photo's."

"Yes," she said quietly, "I deserve that. I was so wrong. There's no hope for us any more, is there? You're with your girlfriend now."

"Girlfriend?" John was puzzled.

"Vicky wasn't it?" she suggested. "In the pub that night?"

"Oh!" he smiled. "She's my cousin from Canada. She's gone back there now."

"Oh," Carol suddenly looked up with what John could only interpret as interest in her eyes. "I thought-"

"I'm with no one at the moment."

"I've broken off with Liam," she stated, and waited, saying no more.

"I'm surprised," said John. "You divorced me to get him."

"What?" she asked looking appalled. "No!"

"Let me outline how I see it," said John forcefully.

"Let's see. You've been living with your husband for four years, two as married. You are getting bored with your husband. You do know most early divorces initiated by women occur after about four years? Liam is better looking and more attractive. You start seeing him behind my back and tell him you want him not me, but you can't see how to get out of the marriage.

"Either you both hatch out this plan to frame me, or he decides to do it to get me out of your way. Once you have the photo's you act distraught and incensed with anger and throw your rings at me in public, escaping with your brothers and Liam.

"You all decided that I should not know the details in case I had an answer, or Liam and your brothers made that decision and you went along with it. You turn all our friends against me by showing them the photo's.

"Your brothers warn me off and eventually beat me up, that's your work or Liam's. You've consistently lied about that, saying they were with you at a family party. You knew in the face of your family's lies that I'd know there'd be no point in contesting the divorce, and then you'd get free of me.

"I go to London, and you with a sense of relief shack up with Liam and get engaged. When I get back here you keep clear of me, but I get under your skin at the pub and you give me enough evidence to allow me to refute your accusations. You learn that I'm now MD here and suddenly I'm more attractive than Liam who is still trudging along without much ambition. You can see a big house, lots of money and holidays round the world. So now Liam gets the boot and you come running back full of apologies for your dreadful 'mistake'. How's that for a start?"

John had been watching her as he spoke. He saw confusion, and fear, and upset, and amazement, but no guilt. Now he knew the scenario he painted was not the true one. He expected her to become angry and attack him for his misunderstanding but the attack did not come.

Instead, she sagged.

"Yes," she said. "I can see how it could look like that to you. No one but myself to blame."

She sighed. "I don't really expect you to believe me. You've no reason to, after what I've done to you, but you're giving me a chance I denied you. If I'd been as good as you, we'd still be married.

"Please believe me, what you've outlined is not true John. You know Gary and Lee hate you. Gary gave me the photo's. He said Liam employed a Private Eye to get the dirty on your cheating because he was worried about you.

He said you did some woman or other every time you went away, and the photo's were very incriminating you have to admit. He even had a written report, which I now realise was by Liam himself, saying you'd got the girl drunk and had sex with her in her bed.

"You know my temper," she sniffed. "I felt so betrayed. Only two years married and you seemed so loving, so faithful, and yet you were fucking around on me all the time. My brothers egged me on and got me really mad, and I decided you were a lowlife that deserved nothing from me. So I waited until you were with your mates in the pub and... well... you know the rest.

"I hated you so much, I wanted nothing more to do with you. That's why I cut you off. And yes I did show the photo's to everyone I could. I wanted you to suffer. And yes when you kept pestering me I did ask Lee to warn you off.

"Honestly, John, I didn't know what they'd done until I heard you were in hospital. I weakened then; I know now I still loved you even then, which is why I hated you so much for what I thought you'd done, but when you were beaten up my impulse was to run to you.

"That's when Liam came on the scene. He warned me off. He said you would get round me and just carry on your cheating ways if you got away with it this time.

"I didn't know then he'd taken the photo's, or made up the so called report. As far as I was concerned he was just a good friend giving me support. After the divorce I had to sell the house and he helped me move. What you need to know is that he tried to get closer to me for two of the last three years. I was off men and kept him at arm's length all that time.

"Then he mentioned that you now had a girlfriend called Tracy and were going steady with her. That's when I let him date me and eventually we got engaged.

"Looking back I think I was hoping you would come back, but knowing you'd moved on dashed my hopes. Liam was very loving and I thought I could make a life with him, now you were not coming back.

"Then when I saw you in the pub it shook me. I knew at that moment I still loved you, but now I was with Liam and you were with this gorgeous blonde. I thought it was your girlfriend from London, and it threw me just now when you told me she was your cousin, but at the time in the pub I knew I couldn't compete with her even if you had any feelings left for me. But I couldn't help coming over to you. I hoped somehow you'd be sorry, but you weren't.

"You launched in about not knowing why I divorced you. I wondered how you could lie like that when it was so obvious? You were a serial cheater and a liar as well. Well, now I know. I've been totally taken in and betrayed by Liam. All you were doing was helping a girl in trouble, and Liam had set you up on purpose and lied his way to get to me.