All Comments on 'One Cage to Another Pt. 06'

by CuriousBeauty

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Pronouns

This passage is confusing:

"Anyway. Her mother, a willow dryad, died during the Quelling. She and her sibling were both taken in, one by each Court. That's how each Court gained their "In Waiting" back up plan."

You introduce "her mother," as the subject of the passage. Subsequent pronouns would refer to the mother until identifying an additional subject. You state the mother dies, then you say "she and her sibling…" I assume you mean the mother had two children. You don't actually state that. The passage as written indicates that the "she" in "she and her sibling" is the mother. You need another sentence indicating the mother had children, and that Amara is one of them. Might want to get an editor.

Your descriptions in general are a bit sloppy. They leave a lot of confusion for the reader. Good story overall. The pacing is all over the place. Too slow, too fast. Pacing is tough to regulate. You'll get there.

Thanks for sharing your imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Pronouns

While editors are nice, I would hardly suggest you get an editor for one pronoun mistake.... Your story has no glaringly obvious mistakes, and if so I didn't notice! (And I usually do...) It was pretty easy to see which "she" you were referring to, so don't swear it. I think that the previous commenter's reply, while it has good points, is slightly over the top. Keep it up!

CuriousBeautyCuriousBeautyabout 9 years agoAuthor
Well...

I really probably should get an editor, if nothing else than for making sure I keep my tenses straight (I've always had trouble with those). Thank you for the encouragement, though! I thought it was pretty obvious, but I see where people could get confused.

I just submitted Pt. 07, so I'm definitely continuing with the story! :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous