All Comments on 'One Day at a Time'

by NRMathis

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Completely Heart Broken

This “was” one of the best stories I have read for awhile. Call me sappy. So well written. I wish in my youth, I had lived that story. Perfect courtship, although it took awhile, and I don’t if I might have had the patience. Love like that is awesome. Love like that can be rare, too. My inlaws are from that part of the country. If I had someone like that, there is no way I would have stayed in Filthydelphia and let that wonderful man leave me there. I am a Christian. I do believe that there are callings in all kinds of ministry, especially in one written about in this story. I truly wept at the thought of this magnificent relationship not continuing. As much as I enjoyed the story, I think you could have done better. Please try again. You have an awesome gift. Thank you. JP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
What????!!!!

Please do a part two. Really enjoyed these characters. Hate that there’s no HEA :(

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Best story

i didn't expect to cry at the end of this, i usually have a heart of stone. not anymore i don't

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Celibacy

I liked the story and though I hated that there wasn't a HAE for them, I can begrudgingly say it made sense for the characters...I would still prefer a chapter 2 where thru realize another part of God's plan is for them to be together. Anyway, the only part I did not like was the message/view from a gay Christian man *leading an LGBT youth group* that it's "walking the line" to actually live a sexually or romantically fulfilled gay life as a gay man. You have to be celibate or it's contradictory to the faith? Doesn't make any sense.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
to have found love

and then to let it go, and so much so that these two have so much love to give,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well written...

but the ending is not realistic. What are the chances that two persons in love like these two said there were would end their relationship just because one had to relocate to a job across the country. It's not as if they were going to be in two different countries, and even then it would stretch reality to expect them to end their love relationship. No, far more likely that one would follow the other to be together. And that it seems they are not even corresponding after the separation, just requires too much suspension of disbelief. Yes, please address this in a second chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Really?

Noooooooooo. This is just wrong. Can't end like this. Still crying, and I finished reading this like 2 hours ago. Please, please, please have an other chapter with a reunion and a HAE.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Hmm

I really enjoyed this story until the last page or two. Prey tell why did they have to end their relationship so dramatically, Vik wasn't moving around the world, surely? They could have still visited one another. It just seems a little extreme. Also were they not in contact at all?

The whole celibacy thing too is a bit much, Vik isn't going to be a priest just a councillor of sorts. I'm just disappointed, they were perfect together.

GybbsGybbsabout 6 years ago
exhausted

As a gay Christian myself, this has left me all torn up. I feel like I've been through the ringer, and now am little more than a limp dishrag. Can't even begin to say how much this has touched me, and on so many levels. Five stars, Favorite Story, Favorite Author - a trifecta.

MarkbikeMarkbikeabout 6 years ago

Thanks for writing this so sensitively. It's a wonderfully erotic tale with real depth. I would love to read a happy ending and maybe there could be one, but life doesn't always provide what we want.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Amazing

What a beautiful story, and so well written. If you haven't already, you could definitely make a living writing.

geemeedeegeemeedeealmost 6 years ago
Tears here, too.

I don’t think every story has to have a HEA. I admire the writers here who don’t provide one simply to make readers happy. HowEVER, the commenters have convinced me that, if you feel like working with the characters again, Vik and Al deserve another chance. The way you’ve written Vik as so naive gives you an opening to continue. He embraced his calling, realized it was a big mistake to leave his love behind, and he goes back to get him. If you decide that you’re done with the characters, though, it’s understandable.

HomerSimpson123HomerSimpson123almost 6 years ago
I've never ...

... cried while reading a gay story before.

You're my first, NRMathis.

Thank you.

illwindillwindover 5 years ago

Ya know, as an atheist(not to mention liberal and a staunch opposer of the firearms industry) there was probably not much chance of me connecting with Vik's character; or even the story as a whole. But what little chance there was died with that purity ring. He's not gonna be a gay christian role model. He's gonna be an asexual christian role model. Which to me is like he's saying, "Yes, I know it's a sin, but it's how God made me, but it is still a sin." Honestly, the youth he is going to be 'counseling' would probably be better off without him if that's the kind of confusing message he is going to be putting out there.

I've read some other stories dealing with the crossover between religion and homosexuality, and I have to say I much prefer the "god doesn't make mistakes" mentality that has been expressed in those. Because in the end, it didn't matter if Vik's mom accepted him, or if his church accepted him, because he never actually accepted himself.

Now all that being said; the story is still obviously very well written. It was just the choices that were made for the characters that I couldn't get behind.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wtf?

I'm sorry, but I've never gotten the whole choose celibacy or be a terrible sinful person thing. It's complete crap to ask someone to live without love and die alone because you've decided they're sinful and their particular sin is somehow worse than yours. This stuff has got to stop. Seriously.

CorjixCorjixabout 5 years ago
It's Your Story

You kept me completely interested for all five pages; and I am not a patient reader. I like the way you write. My stories have a life of their own, and sometimes even surprise me. I have no problem with your choice of ending. It is simply one of many possible twists; and one that these characters were accepting of. Please continue to write for yourself - you will always have avid readers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great job

loved your story and the elements you wove in throughout. Especially about faith and how that is practiced. And sexual restraint. Good job. Do more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Too Perfect For Words

This story was absolutely amazing! Definitely my favorite LGBT read. It was the perfect short love story. Adorable and sexy at the same time.

Well done!

AkshunLoveAkshunLoveover 3 years ago
Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Where’s the happy ending!?!? Damn you!! That was gutwrenching!

FosBoydFosBoydover 3 years ago
Wrap it up!

We need a happy ending. I have read several of your stories and I know you like happy endings as well.

salex2021salex2021almost 3 years ago

this story is really so beautiful that I even feel tears.

I'll be moving on to the next sequel to hear more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This hit me...."Time passed, and before I knew it, we got to where Vik had to keep going and I couldn't follow him".

How you used words to paint the scene is so visceral and gentle. Thank you for such a beautiful story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

I would love to see a sequel to this story. Please!!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I’m seeing people ask for a sequel to this story, and 2 exist. They’re both on the author’s page and called “To Love Again”. Al’s is first, and Vik’s is second.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous