All Comments on 'One For the Road Ch. 01'

by Vanadorn

Sort by:
  • 66 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

I didn't read your other story, but I stopped this when I got to the first 'babes', Do you not know that the the most hated pet name for women?

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggalmost 10 years ago
Good writing centered on wretched and tiresome subject

I pass. We all know the narrator or someone like him. In real life, I cross the street to avoid their song and dance. Read their story ? Vanadorn's good ,but he's not yet Wally Lamb good. Good luck and goodbye.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Good start

Another story based in painful reality. Men in many LW stories are faultless or have minor blemishes. Here is a guy who is a slow motion train wreck, with an addiction that he refuses to admit. So perhaps his wife leaving will force him to make some changes - we shall see.

Look forward to the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great story. Too many guys write their men without faults or issues.

Anything that goes wrong is always the wife's fault, you've written a tale where the husband is human, he is a failure and he wants to be more. Is his a story of redemption or a slow spiral into hell? I don't know but I'm looking forward to the trip.

Keep up the good work.

DragonFistingDragonFistingalmost 10 years ago
good start so far

Hard to judge from the beginning so far. Lets just say it sounds promising to this point. As the story unfolds, and more of the plot is revealed, then I would get a better sense on how I feel.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
the prologue ambles thru way to many roads

might be interesting to some but the lingo locale and rambling twists aren't my style this whole section could have taken less than a page, unless of course you thought you were being paid by the word.

SpacemansaysSpacemansaysalmost 10 years ago
great start

Though you tend to be very wordy, your stories bring great levels of discomfort. Whichfor the stories you tell is fantastic. Can't wait to see what you do with jimmy though at this point if you choose to you are gonna have a hard time redeeming him after this chapter... and he hasn't even hit rock bottom!

Also ignore the haters. This story will be rated lower than it should solely because the male protagonist is the problem. If you want better ratings here though change the story so the wife is the raging drunk and jimmy is tired of it. That way you will be swiming in 5s.

VanadornVanadornalmost 10 years agoAuthor

Hooray for the posting - I did it very late Monday night and didn't see it yesterday - glad it hit today - let's call it 2 and a half days to show up.

I knew going in that this story was not going to be as popular as the last mainly because in this one, the male is the least liked character. And that's ok, as always, I write primarily for myself and he's usually happy. :)

I should be cleaning up the 2nd chapter tonight/tomorrow and post it Saturday, which mean's it'll show up live here Monday (assuming everything runs the same). Thanks for the votes and the comments so far and please don't hesitate to do so here and in the future.

Regards.

-V

cornballcornballalmost 10 years ago
Great start

I can't wait to read the next chapter. This is real life and there is so much trouble and strife because of drinking. Great effort, thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

good story , reminds me of how i use to be

rphinneyrphinneyalmost 10 years ago
Too much effort...

Seemed like a lot of effort to make an antagonist. Honestly, you could make your character unlikeable with far less effort than this. What is next, having him kick his kids and pee on his dog?

BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 10 years ago
What Spacemansays is right

Excellently written. I'm looking forward to more.

MitchFraellMitchFraellalmost 10 years ago
Good start

I guess we all know of families like this. Realistic and sad. Let's hope it works out for them.

gordo12gordo12almost 10 years ago
Excellent

But really couldn't we have that Ninja attack??? 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Well...

I hope his wife ends up fucking one of his buddies, this story needs a dramatic pick-me-up and seeing this drunk in despair will be the icing on the cake

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Vandy has some serious personal issues.

He thinks we all are hanging on his every word. He asserts he writes for himself. He revels in the time it takes to post. He tells us he cares not if we like his work, yet he obviously cares a great deal. His comments on his stories and his introductions paint a picture of a very insecure person, trying hard to be assertive, while using so many words, he's also boring.

rjordanrjordanalmost 10 years ago
Not that you care...

...but I can't generate any interest in this character at all. Maybe I watched too many Cops episodes. I'm pretty sure I see the end out there somewhere, but I don't want to read 4 more long chapters to get there.

Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
1 star

Had to just skip to the end. Boring.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
When writing a serial story take care where you split it

This a well written story and for that you are getting high marks, but it is indeed very long-winded and not a lot of interesting stuff happens. I have a feeling that you wanted to use this chapter one as a "set-up" and it might appear logical to post it separately, but in this respect you are incorrect. You should NEVER split up a multi-parter in such a way that nothing happens in the first part. Chances are that many readers wont come back for the rest of the instalments if you don't hook them with the first one, so it is better to make the first part longer, than cutting it off before anything of substance happens.

If I am right in the assumption that more happens in chapter two, you would have done better combining the first two chapters into one long one.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
You've got my attention

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Sad but life for many of us

if you did not grow up in this situation... you are born with a golden spoon of life in your mouth...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Good story of how one can screw up a life.

He is a loser and the author has done a great job writing this story , and making us see how jimmy functions as a uneducated man making a poor wage , drinking his life away and neglecting his family.to bad so manny annoy losers out there looking for a short story that burns the bitch. Yet he is the story as this is happening now in our country the USA. To many like him really exist out there.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
There by the grace of the gods go I

I was smart enough to stop before I got to that point but I was honestly on my way.

FD45FD45almost 10 years ago
A good story

1) You can write however you want. I do. But if a LOT of people are calling you long winded...either find a different audience, modify your writing or get a thicker skin. This worked for me where your first few chapters in the last story didn't because you developed a character. situation, new situation, new situation.

HOWEVER, those critics are noting something true: first scene, establish he is a drinking douchebag. Second scene...he is a drinking douchebag. Third scene...wife calls him on it...he's still a drinking douchebag...wash, rinse, repeat...

I like this story. It will not be popular. It (might) examine something very uncomfortable: that a man exists who deserves to be cheated on. This will ruffle feathers.

I'll probably read it through, but if you get to write it how you want, I get to bitch about it how I want. That is the deal. However, not once will I call you a cuckold sissy RAAC loving fag.

I may even use big words. Joy!

rightbankrightbankalmost 10 years ago
Yes, people have problems

Yes, some drink too much and do not acknowledge it, even to themselves.

Yes, it impacts their work, family, and friends.

No, I do not enjoy reading about the troubles of the world.

I fear that if there is a chapter 02 it will take another 5-6 pages to watch him sink to "rock bottom".

This is just way too depressing.

bearsladybearsladyalmost 10 years ago
Another...

good start. I happen to love your writing style, however I find myself skimming some paragraphs, picking key words to focus on. The fact you do write the minute details of characters lives, tends to make us intensly feel the despair of those lives. Your ability to write the darker emotions is what draws us in and makes your fans care about the outcome. Also makes me wonder whats happened in your life that makes you 'know what you write'. :-)

Looking forward to the next chapter.

WyldcardWyldcardalmost 10 years ago

Thank you for the first chapter. A good start.

I have to support FD45 and your own preface referencing prior feedback. Critiques aren't simply criticism. The point of taking feedback is to improve, to better understand the audience's view rather than just your own. The truth is, you're too wordy. You aren't adding new information or adding tension, you're just making it tedious to progress the story. That said, you're not getting paid for this. You can write solely for yourself, but in that case why put it up? If you want to improve your skills as a writer, then take the feedback and critiques as input to adjust your sensibilities and your own understanding of what to aim for.

Anyway, I'll enjoy digging into the next chapter. Please though, don't dismiss the feedback simply by saying 'I like it this way, so there'. If so, you aren't going to improve as a writer and if you aren't getting paid, yet you're making it public, then that feedback and the opportunity to improve is one of the primary ROI for your labor that you get.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyalmost 10 years ago
Jack Lemon

Oscar winner in The Days of Wine and Roses. Depressing story of an alcoholic's slow descent into ruination. The movie was painful to watch. I'll scan ensuing chapters, but won't read them until the plot changes to loving wives.

VanadornVanadornalmost 10 years agoAuthor

Thanks for the feedback and comments! :) I don't take anything than anyone says with any animosity and appreciate every bit of critique as it is given. Without it, I can't improve my skills so please - don't hesitate to mention if something is bothersome. Ergo, the opposite also applied and if something is good or seems right, let me know as well. No one wants to morph into something else/better/different if in doing so they make the mistake of tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

I just uploaded Chapter 2 and it's a bit shorter than 1. I'm kind of on a roll here with this tale and am looking to get it finished - I'm writing at the turning point here. My next piece(s) will be shorter flash style to sort of stretch the other side of the writing mental muscles.

-Thanks again!

-V

TornadoTysTornadoTysalmost 10 years ago
Gritty !

A gritty tale of a husband slowly descending into alcoholic !

I have know people like the husband character and it applies to women as well.

I even dated a heavy drinker and thought I had the problem for being to controlling, not caring which was the real csse !

As for feed back, well we all should listen and reflect on others perception of us.

Story is a little wordy though I not mind as long as it is for building or setting the scene / circumstances for characters to play out in the story.

size14shoesize14shoealmost 10 years ago
You got the alcoholic part right

He drives a hot Dodge while Myra has to drive a POS minivan. The best sequence in the story is his sadness, shame and upset that his wife and boys are leaving because of his drinking and he then throws a borrowed router and destroys a kitchen cabinet. Smooth!! It's the kind of thing recovered/recovering alcoholics have a laugh of recognition at and non-alcoholics are disgusted by.

I had my last drink July 5th, 1963. Was 26 when I stopped. Reading this was not easy for me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
My 2 Cents

I "enjoyed" the start of this tale. There is more than one way to cheat on your spouse and family and it appears that Jimmy has found it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Yak, yak, yak

Five pages and you went nowhere you couldn't have gone in 1 page.

After a (short) while it gets boring.

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago
Pretty Good

Not like the usual stuff on here (that's a plus!)

Those who are complaining about "nothing happening" should a) read your intro, you stated up front this was a longer story, so you can't expect a climax in the first few pages, and b) find something else to read, there's plenty out there.

I like how you've drawn both lead characters. He's obviously not exactly a sympathetic character, but is also not evil. She obviously loves him despite his flaws (and this is our best indicator that there must be a lot of good there, however deep it might be right now, or she would have walked away completely long ago!) and is trying as hard as she can to save both him and their marriage.

connoisseur29connoisseur29almost 10 years ago
****

That's so sad. They either have to hit bottom before coming out of it or have a catastrophic event awaken them from their stupor. Cheers!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Well written, but

Barely 4* for the writing, but the story is a standard drunkalogue, hitting many of the stereotypical high points of this genre. Personally, I'll probably discontinue reading your story. Do keep writing, however.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
4*s

I believe you earned the 4* grade because of ambition!!

The guy who is drinking his life into the ground. It has been written before, and made into movies. So that got you 1*. The other 3*s are( as it states) encouragement.

The sad fact is many of us have lived with your protagonist in our lives . I did in my family. So keep at it.

It sure is easier to enjoy a good writer's story when it is not so real!!

What is it with this fad for realism ?? Hell, even when I dislike a LW story. I can enjoy good plot, style , the writing overall if it is fantastic..

Enough said, Vanadorn you got talent. Have at it ( maybe a little faster ). I'll read it because it is free, lol. And you pleasure, I mean , please yourself !

AMerryMan

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
sad and boring as heck

2 stars for this first chapter. Let's hope the following ones are better.

tazz317tazz317almost 10 years ago
THOSE 12 STEPS

have to be pared down to 2 or 3 tk u mlj lv nv

OnethirdOnethirdalmost 10 years ago
A good start

I really like how you've pretty much nailed the inner dialogue of an alcoholic here. It's a downer, but I'm going to hang in with you. What's with all the "it's too wordy" crowd? I think you're overloading some skulls out there, but keep up the good work- nobody is holding a gun their heads.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Excellent

Not erotic, but very well written.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 10 years ago
Well done

This could go in any number of directions. Will this be a tale of redemption, or just the recounting of the life of a pathetic man. I'm hoping for the latter. Five stars. Well written. As usual, your going to take your time and build this slowly and to perfection. I see the tags, so I assume his downward spiral is just beginning.

bruce22bruce22almost 10 years ago
Extremely well executed

I am not sure if I want to read more about the stupidity of this man. He is sort of the inverse of SS's women.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
not care to read bout bar brawling drunk drive sots.

1 star

sympathy's to your pathetic worthless life,,as started with you first attempt at writing

ur auto biography. maybe if you trade for a STANG, instead of tax payers financed mopar charger crap, ur life will improve

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
A good start.

I never liked alcohol and beer tastes like piss to me, but while reading this story, I feel like an alcohol addict. Good job.

This story is also what's missing from the LW category. Most of the wives who cheat aren't sluts. They don't cheat because cheating is in their DNA. They cheat to escape their situations. Nothing comes from nothing. Something comes from something.

javmor79javmor79almost 10 years ago
Great start

I like this author. I don't see why this story isn't more accepted than it is. I will continue reading. Just like with the last story, a lot of people didn't like it right off of the bat. The more they read the more they liked. I think people are so used to reading about these Jesus Christ superhero husbands that they start to believe THAT story is more realistic. 5 stars.

fifteen16fifteen16over 9 years ago
Real

I have met this guy on more than one occasion yes they love their wife and children, but it is love on their own terms and as long as he is happy living the he wants he thinks everyone else should be happy, just plain selfish, he doesn't really want a wife he just wants another mother he is allowed to fuck. Good first chapter and will read the others, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good u like

ur drunken worthless human being tales.

2 stars

PeachyWifePeachyWifeover 9 years ago
Feels Very Real

I'm liking the real life feel of this story even if it is hard to read. I grew up with an alcoholic step father. Most of the time he was a happy drunk, but there were some scary times too. When he got sober (after I told him he would never see his grandkids unless he did), those were some of the happiest days we had as a family.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
The Days of Wine And Roses

I don't drink alcohol and I have no tolerance for drunks, men or women. I grew up around alcoholic drug abusers and have no empathy for them what-so-ever. They cause a lot of problems for themselves and everyone around them. The worst is when they maim or kill an innocent....all for a $3.00 beer, so they can get high. This story reads very true. OBTW, I'm 65 years old and have seen a lot of this nonsense all over the world.

The author has done us all a favor by spot lighting this epidemic.

Support your local chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Great lesson but Too dark

I liked your writing but the story is just do much of a downer.

tiger46tiger46almost 9 years ago
powerful start

Your tale is so well-woven that, while I sympathize with Jimmy's plight, I would would hate to know him IRL. Myra seems very mature and level-headed. I hope she doesn't turn out to have ulterior motives in leaving for the weekend.

.It's clear you have more than a nack for turning a phrase. Very descriptive an emotive. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Well written but

Its hard to read the story of an ignorant man, never mind a total drunk for chapter after chapter. Sorry but I'm hoping this doesn't continue in this vein. Yeh we all know being drunk is bad but this does go on and on. Low score.

Pappy7Pappy7over 7 years ago
If I was her

I would knock the shit out of him for calling me "babes" all the time. That's irritating to me and I'm just reading the story. Seems pretty true to form from what I know of alkies. Even when they are trying to be loving and tender they are just annoying. I would imagine just the insurance alone on his car would pay for a lot of stuff.

Well written and well researched. Thanks for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Why do you writers insist on using 'babes' its the most disliked name. 1*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Sorry but this was just awful

I can't get past this lousy start. The characters were just horrible people and it simply isn't going to be interesting to read any further. UGH.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Point Please

What is the point here? The writing is actually quite good. But this reads like an after school special about dipshit daddy's drinking. Where's the illicit hard cock 'n pussy? Where's the loving wives?

Haven't quite finished the chapter and seriously thinking of bailing here. This is unexpected and too depressing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
WHY DON'T ALL YOU BITCERS AND COMPLAINERS SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DRINK YOUR BEER?

If you nitwits had any brains about you, you'd be smart enough to figure out that this chapter is the set-up for the story about a stupid asshole and bully who'd rather drink than keep his wife and family.

5 stars for good workmanship.

tazz317tazz317almost 7 years ago
THE STAGES IN BECOMING A FULL FLEDGED ALKIE

and there is no cure, save one, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
ooooh so vioent

Why would I want to read this crap ? You are more at home with agro than sex, dickhead...…………………...

dram998dram998over 4 years ago
Great story

Great character work makes me want to root for the guy than curse at him....

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So, Vanadon knows gratuitous violence...grats, Vanadon!

ManatNumber34ManatNumber34about 2 years ago

Haven't read the rest of the series. But the descent into alcohol abuse & dependency isn't far of the truth for many people. A few beers, a glass or two of wine doesn't seem very much at first. Then unnoticed by the user it turns into a daily fix, then the quantity rises just to get the same buzz. Denial sets in. We rationalise our behaviour by comparing ourselves to others. The user isn't the same as the visible alcoholic. Is just about keeping their job, yet those closest can see the approaching iceberg. Very slippery & dangerous slope.

1ceBit1ceBitover 1 year ago

Wow! We have experienced this, one way or another. Either knowing someone like this, or having this in our own lives. I felt the pain through your writing. Great work!

1ceBit1ceBitover 1 year ago

To add to my prior comment, this same pain can be felt through other 'addictions', including writers that delve so deep into their work, that they loose their balance in life and neglect what is most important. Thank you again for your work.

bobareenobobareeno6 months ago

While the subject is worthwhile, the tribulations caused by Jimmy’s alcoholism is not exactly riveting tale. I just want the sorry bastard to have a wreck, croak, and allow his poor wife to find a guy with two braincells to rub together. On to the next installment of Jimmy’s problem.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous