All Comments on 'One Night in Kilmeaden'

by surober1

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
Scotsman69Scotsman69almost 14 years ago
Oh dear

I'm sorry, but I couldn't read this beyond the first page. Let me tell you why.

In 1595 there was no British Empire, because there was no Britain. It was England which sought to colonise Ireland: Scotland had no part in it at that stage. Though Scots settlers were 'planted' in what is now Northern Ireland from the late C17, resulting in centuries of conflict between 'planted' Protestants and native Irish Catholics which is only now beginning to subside.

Scotland and England were two independent nations, and remained so till 1706 when the parliaments merged. They had however shared a monarch since the early C17, the Scots monarch initially, since Elizabeth of England died without legal heir and James VI of Scotland assumed the English throne as well as the Scots. Peacefully and by English invitation: he was next in line.

Kilts. The Irish wore them as well as the Scots.

Language. My advice to you is to write in language you understand. It's perfectly acceptable to write historical fiction thus. Your attempted rendering of Scots and Irish dialect is not at all good. Until it is convincing, you're better not to try it. I wouldn't dare to try and write historical fiction set in, say, c18 North America, and try to invent dialect of which I know little.

And anyway, neither the man from Islay (Jordan is neither a Scots, Welsh, or Irish name btw), not the Irish from near Waterford,would speak anything but Gaelic in the C16.

There's nothing wrong per se with the story.

But if you seek to write historical fiction, you need to get your historical facts right. Or you rub history sticklers like me up the wrong way!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Great Story

I can't wait to see what she decides.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Not a history stickler...

...but the the dialect really got to me, and probably not the way that you were intending. In my favorite historicals, the dialect is done with more...finesse, I guess. Imagine reading a whole story where someone tried to phonetically create a French accent. It just doesn't work. GIve us hints, and let us, your readers, hear the voice/accent in our heads. I liked it, though, so I still gave it a four.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

You should make a part 2... maybe six months later and she is pregnant and he comes back and they gt married

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

write the sequel please!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous