All Comments on 'Opening Up Letting Go Ch. 10'

by GrumpyGamby

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
BobNbobbiBobNbobbiabout 14 years ago
Thank you

Moving, no need to say more.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichabout 14 years ago
A classic story that's well done

Sad but true to life and so real it hurts to read it some of the time.

Thanks for the good story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
A very well written story

After I casually read part of chapter three, I waited until all the chapters were posted so I could read the entire story at one sitting. You did a great job of making the characters come alive with humor and sadness.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 14 years ago
This was very sad, yet

it somehow makes the reader feel very good. It was extremely well done!

Prof_EmmaProf_Emmaalmost 14 years ago
Beautiful and moving

I cried while reading this last chapter. What a tribute to enduring love! The whole series was compelling, engaging, and well written. Thanks again.

FrederickJonesFrederickJonesalmost 14 years ago
Very good, very good

The story was human, well-written, poignant, even, yet still held the readers' attention to the end. Thank you very much for this story.

Fred

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Thank you!

Absolutely transcendent. Honest, fearless, searing and affirming.

dangerouslydeaddangerouslydeadalmost 14 years ago
My first comment on the series

comes after I have read it through to the end. This is a beautiful story and despite being a sad tale it is a story of hope and love. I look forward to your next story. This will be hard to top!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
most amazing story

I could not control my own emotions. Please give us more on this level.

santalindsantalindalmost 14 years ago
marvelous

oh man it was such a nie true love story i have ever read. . .it was so emotional in the end to make any hard heart feel for a sec . . good writing . . give us more good stuff like this.... u r a true author

IMcRoutIMcRoutalmost 14 years ago
Wow!

This got even better than it promised to be in the beginning. Thank you.

Now I can only wait for the next chapter of 'Charmed'.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
wow

balled like a baby

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Really nicely done

A well crafted and composed story that is engaging with action at the beginning as a hook and raw emotion and pathos later for the sinker. Really well done, I'm sure that it was an emotionally draining story to write. Good work!

BobNbobbiBobNbobbialmost 11 years ago
Still tears

I read the ending to your story again this morning and it still brings tears for you and for me.

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiover 9 years ago
With unabashed tears . . .

. . . I am reading this once again as it came up on Random this morning. When it first came out I was going through the same situation but with my 44 year old daughter. Gamby and I shared some thoughts, some grief back then. This story is all too real and the memories of my daughter fighting to hold on to a life slipping away are still a vivid part of my psyche.

The decision making part of letting go is not at all easy. In our case our daughter's mother had the legal authority; it would have been immoral for me not to give full support, but it is still difficult. We terminated treatment. Doctors said three to seven days probably, ten at most. Our daughter's spirit and body would not give up life easily. She lived twenty-three days without dialysis but finally, gasping her last breaths, death arrived and she breathed her last. The hospice nurses were with her, her parents had time to say goodbye even though she could not respond.

I fully understand just how difficult the letting go process is; I still revisit those mental anguish discussions in my head four years later.

Thanks once again for writing this beautiful story of life, of love, and of death GrumpyGamby.

GrumpyGambyGrumpyGambyover 7 years agoAuthor
Oh Bob...

You come back to read every year, revisiting the pain.

We spiral in and spiral out of the grief. Each time we spiral out, we get a little bit stronger. Each time we spiral in, there is another memory or detail we need to think about and thinking with those sad eyes makes us feel close to them, like they only just left us.

As you know Bob, we just get used to it.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Yep

You certifiably insane. Writing proves it.

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiabout 5 years ago
Yeah Gamby I Do Come Back

Hello again Gamby and yes I saw your post on random this morning and decided to revisit my grief emotions. I still feel for my daughter Amanda especially on the anniversaries of her birth and her death. About two years ago I had to go through the process with a long time, twenty year, lady friend. Since neither Carol or I have relatives in the DC area we treated each other as parts of an old married couple even though we never shared more than chaste kisses.

Carol had been in poor health when I got a call from GW Hospital telling me I had been named Next Of Kin to someone in the ER whose heart had stopped for ten minutes or so before they revived her. They wouldn't tell her name but I knew it had to be Carol. She was in ICU by the time I got to the hospital still in a coma.

I found her telephone book in her purse and called her one cousin, Steve, in Tennessee who I had met previously. By coincidence, Steve's daughter was in the area on an assignment for the Army. Both decided I was the best person on site to deal with Carol's final illness. After five days with Carol still in a coma the doctors advised there was no real hope of recovery. Once again I had to make the decision to terminate further treatment and let a real person so very important to me go onto the next step in her journey.

It doesn't get any easier with experience. It still hurts.

I am glad you are still around my friend. -- Bob

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous