Out of the Shadows Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers

This morning, he would inform them of his true mission and give them the choice to accept or not. His main concern was Granger. He knew he had two young daughters, and he might not be willing to being separated from them. But he was pivotal, so he had to find a way to get him to join.

As soon as they entered, He introduced his wife. His wife was a petite woman that looked years younger, but she immediately went to Masters. After she had her to sit, she checked her blood pressure, heart rate, and then Masters told her something that none of them were aware of.

"Mrs. Bull, I'm diabetic. My blood sugar is really low and I need to eat something." Hold on Mrs. Bull said and she quickly grabbed some glucose tabs for her to take.

"Robert, when was the last time these kids ate?" she asked glaring at her husband.

Standing his ground but furious at himself for endangering this girl, "They disobeyed an order, so they lost food privileges for a couple of days." Then to himself, he grumbled, "I was well within my rights."

"Robert, what did you say?" then to Kerrie, she said. "Young lady, I want you and your friends to go in the front room. I need to talk to my hard headed husband."

The recruits knowing an order when they heard it, moved quickly.

Ten minutes later, Sergeant Bull, came into the front room and called the young recruits to breakfast. Red-faced and embarrassed, he apologized for starving them.

Then his wife served breakfast and everyone ate. Of course that's when he decided to tell them.

"Well, folks, I have to confess something. You six were specially selected to form an elite team. I was commission by the president to find six reliable team members from each branch of the military. Sergeant Jameson called me about the six of you, that's why I came in. I was hard on you to make sure; you were tough enough and could handle what's thrown at you."

"Wait a minute, sir. What are you saying exactly?" LaCynthia asked. She felt as if she'd been tricked.

"Knicks, take care to not interrupt me again." He ordered harshly.

"Yes, sir." LaCynthia conceded.

Mrs. Bull didn't like the way he spoke to her. She also noticed the body language of the other five young people tense at his words.

"Robert, LaCynthia is a guest in my home. You will not speak to her that way." She quietly admonished her husband.

Then she chose to sit beside the young lady. She loved Robert, he was a good man, dense, but good.

She also knew he cared deeply for each one of these young adults, but he was afraid. He was frightened they'd refuse to go with him.

"Sorry, Knicks. I'm a little tense right now." He apologized to LaCynthia. Darius visibly relaxed, but was watching her closely.

"Anyway, let me tell you why each of you were chosen." He inhaled and then his eyes landed on LaCynthia.

"LaCynthia Knicks, only daughter of Lois Ross and Byron Knicks. Your father was a police officer killed in the line of duty when you were ten. You were a model student until years later, when your mother remarried. Then you became a nuisance. Getting into fights, staying out past curfew, even sleeping in the streets, were behaviors you engaged in.

Your mother met and married Kevin Lowes when you were fourteen. Lowes was a pervert. He harassed you for the two years, mentally, sexually, and physically.

The night of your eighteenth birthday, your stepfather raped you. Your mother found out and put you out in the streets. He came after you again less than a week later and you fought to keep him off which lead to you almost beating him to death.

The District Attorney tried to paint you as an out of control thug, but your teachers disputed that fact. Judge Long gave you a choice, jail or military. Young lady you made the right choice." He paused.

LaCynthia was stunned. She had not told anyone about the rape or abuse she suffered. "Sarge, how did you find out about what he did? I never told anybody, not even Momma."

LaCynthia, I know you. I was at the police station when they brought you in. I saw you and I saw the fight in you. I went and talked to the bastard, he confessed. He dropped his bogus ass charges because I threatened to finish where you left off. I then called my friend, Patrick Long, and asked if he could intercede and get you in the military somehow. He did. That's why you are here." He stopped and waited for her to lash out.

"Why?" Cynthia asked confused.

Sergeant Bull moved on. "Horace "Horse" Tate" he continued.

"You are the oldest of eight kids born to a single mother in hill country. You never wondered why when you enlisted, you were sent to a base over a hundred miles away from your home?" Sergeant Bull paused to let him answer.

"You didn't finish high school, but earned a certificate of completion. Son, you need a diploma to enlist, but I wanted you so I pulled some strings.

The last summer you were home, there was a drought and your farm didn't produce enough crops for a profit. You got two outside jobs, attended school fulltime, and helped your mom with your seven brothers and sisters.

On your last job, Mr. Lester Snoot accused you of stealing. He slapped you and you beat the hell out of him. His father had you branded an ignorant hillbilly with no education and they were going to put you away. I heard about you and made arrangements to come see you. I talked with your mother, and I told her I could help. Did she mention me?" He paused.

Horse scratched his head, "She came to the jail and told me a man told her I'd be alright. I thought she meant God. She never said you were real."

"I asked her not too. I didn't need you to know about me yet." He explained to the huge young man.

In your case, the same as most of you, you were offered a choice. "Horace, you made the right one."

He moved on to Kerrie, Maria, and Danny. Each person had a similar story. They were a good kid. Something horrible happened. Had a brush with the law and was offered an out through the military.

Kerrie survived a car crash that killed her entire family. She was then forced to live with relatives that made her life a living hell, until her uncle tried to rape her and she ran. She ended up in jail on solicitation charges, but was given a choice.

Maria was attacked by several white girls in her school and covered in racial slurs. She fought back, breaking the noses of two of the girls and was promptly expelled. She ended up on the streets with her brother who was deeply involved in drugs and gangs. One night a rival gang opened fire, Maria fired back taking out two of the members. She too went to court and was offered a choice.

Finally, Danny Stevens was a skinny white kid, huge target for bullies. One day after being taunted viciously the day before, Danny decided to protect himself. The school security officer found a seven inch knife in his backpack. He was arrested immediately and expelled. He went to court and was given a choice.

Finally he made it to Darius. "Now Granger, your story is the same, except I had a friend actively recruit you. Yes, I know about you hurting your friend. I also know what precipitated that attack."

Pausing Sergeant Bull continued. "The bastard that attacked your sister walked and you lost so much. Some people were furious when you didn't go to prison, they don't understand what really happened that night. You're lucky, your family stood behind you. Even now, they are proud of you."

"Sergeant Jameson served with me for over fifteen years. He was my brother in arms. When he told me about you, I did some research." He took a deep breath and finished. "I asked him to see if he could recruit you. Out of all the guys here, your family had resources and could help you. You had to decide on your own to join. Son, I'm glad you did."

"So Sarge, you knew about us before we got here. What does it mean?" Danny asked.

"Let me ask you something. Why do you think I targeted Knicks from the onset?" he asked.

"Well, you hated me on sight for some reason, I guess. I did make a smart as remark though." Cynthia answered.

"True, but Knicks, I knew you could take it and you had to fight against something." He exhaled. "Sanchez would have cut me and Masters is the quiet one, she would have internalized it and would not have survived training."

"So I was your whipping girl?" Cynthia asked starting to feel a little angry.

"Calm down Knicks you weren't completely defenseless." He smirked. "Your team did just what I knew they would, they buffered you. When I made up shit for you to do, one of them took on part of that burden." Then he chuckled, "Why do you think I assigned you stuff two or three people could do? Besides, I came close to getting my ass kicked a few times, which brings me to my next victim." Then he looked at Darius.

"Darius Granger, you looked out for each member of this team. The last two days, you were not supposed to eat anything but you knew about Private Masters medical condition. You made sure to pick berries or fruit and have something in the barracks for the women at least." He chuckled.

"Hell Danny and Horse covered for you even when they didn't think I was around. That's one reason, I chose barracks near the groves. I was aware of Chambers issues and wanted to make sure she had access to food if she needed it."

Now Darius was getting agitated. "Sir, with all due respect, you played with her life. That's not right."

Sergeant Bull sighed, "I know and I didn't realize how bad of shape she was in. But Darius, you led this team. You protected them from everything and everyone, even me."

Then he chuckled, "Hell, last night I was glad to see that training helped you get control of your anger. I had to goad you, and son you held it together."

Darius looked perplexed, as Sergeant Bull continued, "If I hadn't backed off of Knicks when I did, you were about to kick my ass, but you took control and compromised."

Sergeant Bull looked at the entire team, "Your Basic Combat Training ends in two weeks, and I need you guys to know that. You are the best I've ever trained. I have recommended each of you for training in specific branches in the military based on where your strength lies.

Knicks, I've recommended you to go into Medical training along with Masters. Your past performance on several aptitude test showed you have an above advance level performance on scientific and biological studies. Masters has an affinity for working with and understanding how people think.

Sanchez, I have recommended you for computer and technology training. Stephens, I am recommending you for training in navigation and artillery.

Granger, I'm recommending you for mechanical and repair training. Finally, Tate, you will go into combat and navigation training.

After at the most fifty-two weeks of training, you six will reunite with me at Fort Cummings." He stopped and waited before continuing. "At this point, you will meet your new leader who will explain your main purpose.

I want the six of you together. This is the perfect team, you guys have bonded. I'm giving you the rest of the day off to think about it. If you decide to not do it, I will try and accept that. But I hope you all agree to do this." He finished.

"Sarge, you will be with us the whole time, right?" Maria asked. She liked him and he seemed so much like family.

"No, I will ride to Georgia with you and introduce you to your new commander, but my real involvement ends here." He explained.

His wife hugged him; she knew he saw these young people as his kids. "Let me know what you decide to do." Sergeant Bull stated.

"Sir, do we get to stay together. I mean they won't split us up, right?" Maria asked.

"Yes they will separate you at first. Men and women live in separate barracks. But all of your training will be together, per my request."

"Alright, sir. We'll let you know by the end of the week." Darius informed him. "Guys let's go. Kerrie, can you walk?" Darius asked worried about his team member.

"I'm good soldier," she replied. Then they six soldiers headed back to base.

When they reached the barracks they had to talk. Sarge was giving them a great opportunity, but they had other things to consider.

"Momma was so proud when I joined. Two of my brothers are in JROTC now with hopes of joining. If I can be part of an elite team, now that will be something." Horse said dreamily.

"Wait, do all of us have to do it? I want to be a medic or something but what if I just want to do a simple tour of duty?" Kerrie asked..

"Sarge said, he'd understand, so if you don't want to you don't have to, right?" LaCynthia answered looking to Darius for guidance.

Danny spoke up, as did Maria. "I want to do it." They both said simultaneously. Horse agreed with the two of them and decided to go into training and then join the team.

Kerrie sat and thought, Sarge actually prepared me for this. Thanks to him and these guys, I know how to use nature to find food. I made it for weeks without one episode, Darius took care of me. Cynthia and Maria looked out for me. Horse and Danny let me nap when I needed to. I might put them in danger, if I got sick for real and I don't want to risk them. They are my family.

Finally, Kerrie spoke. "I'm not sure. If I do it and join and we have a mission. What if I can't eat and get sick again? I could put you all in jeopardy."

"What? Why?" asked LaCynthia. "Kerrie we've always looked out for-"

"Cynthia, I got sick. It was a good thing that Darius found the fruit orchard. If we're in combat and something happens, I could be a liability." she sighed. "I won't risk you."

Darius embraced Kerrie, "It's alright. We understand. But Kerrie you are and always will be a part of this group."

Watching Darius hug Kerrie bothered LaCynthia, but she tried to hide it.

"Kerrie, you better let him go. Somebody don't want to share." Danny joked earning him a glare from Cynthia.

Darius promptly ended the embrace as he watched Cynthia walk outside.

"So, Darius." asked Horse, "are you in?

"I gotta really think about this Horse. I mean I've been away from my girls for eight weeks." Darius answered.

Cynthia walked out and Darius followed her. She'd been acting strange every since Sergeant Bull's announcement.

"Cynthia, what's going on?" Darius asked.

"Darius, do you like Kerrie. I mean she's small, pretty, petite, white..." Cynthia turned her back to him. She didn't like feel strong just vulnerable.

Darius touched her shoulder. "Cyn, Cynthia, look at me."

She did, but here eyes were teary, and she at that moment was afraid. So she wiped away the tears before they could roll down her cheeks. Her heart was racing, something about this man called to her.

She turned and looked at him, and Darius saw how vulnerable this girl really was. They looked out for the other two women because they were smaller and seemed weaker. Cynthia always held her own; she worked just as hard and even harder than the guys. But deep down, she was a woman, in Darius's eyes the perfect woman."

"Cynthia, I care about all of you guys, you know that." Darius started to say.

"Don't, don't play dumb. You know what I mean. Do you like her in that way-"

Darius stopped her by kissing her., He leaned forward and covered her lips with his. Fireworks, that's the only word that could describe as he sampled this woman's amazing lips.

Cynthia wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him with a possessiveness that made him go weak at the knees. She felt so good in his arms. Their kiss continued until, someone interrupted by patting Darius on the shoulder.

He and Cynthia pulled apart, and he could tell she was embarrassed. "Um, do you two need to tell the rest of us something?" Horace teased.

He knew Darius liked Cynthia and he was happy to see his friend finally make a move.

"Horse, can we have a minute?" Darius asked holding Cynthia close so that she wouldn't try and escape.

"Okay, but does this mean, I don't stand a chance?" Horse joked as he turned to leave.

"Dang! Guess I gotta look elsewhere."

Darius liked this girl. She was strong, beautiful, with just a touch of sweetness. "So Cynthia, what does this mean?"

"Darius Granger, it means I like you, more than as a friend." Cynthia whispered.

Darius exhaled loudly, "Thank God, I like you too, LaCynthia Knicks, my sweet Cyn." He added kissing her softly.

One night at the end of training, Darius was heading to his bunk to rest. He would get to call his family and invite them to his graduation ceremony. Then he heard a female pleading with someone to not force her.

Darius didn't like what he heard and walked in. He found one of the corporals forcing her in an inappropriate position. The corporal tried to pull rank, but Darius wasn't having it.

MP came and the corporal was removed. The young lady gave her statement. Darius offered to stay with her and walk her back to her barracks.

"Look, Darius," Thank you for stopping him, but I don't need anything else. Just leave me alone." Then she rushed off.

"Wait, Ms." Darius called after her. But she ran away,

His leader Sergeant Bull walked up and spoke to him.

"Granger, that was brave of you son and foolish." He said. "That stunt could have caused you your career."

"Sir, with all due respect." Darius started in his defense.

"Stop son. I want you to go into the elite group that's being formed. With the six people from this team, we will add three people from the Air Force and three from the Marines. Each member will be trained in different skill sets as well.

Next week in the final ceremony, each member of your team will wear a special beret during the ceremony. It's how you will identify each other." Sergeant Bull explained.

"Sir, I don't think I want to join-," Darius tried to explain. He didn't want to be away from his girls for that long.

"Son," Sergeant Bull continued, "This is a magnificent opportunity. Think about it. You have two little girls right. Son with the money you can earn here in the three years you all will be asked to serve, you can pay for their college as well as your own. Besides, since you will be in a special unit, they will receive a monthly allowance that they will not be able to get if you go into regular service."

Looking Darius directly in the eyes, Sergeant Bull told him the true reason he wanted him. "Son, you are the leader of this team. Knicks is your second. Those four people will do anything for you and her and you know it.

"If you're honest with yourself, you don't want to send them out without you. Everyone else has agreed to join except for you and Masters. If Master's doesn't join the group can survive. But if that team loses you, they won't make it." Then he exhaled.

"You really want Knicks around those good looking Marines that will be part of the team?" he teased, letting Darius know that he was aware of his interest in Cynthia.

Graduation day arrived and every member of the Granger, Richards, and Marcolini clan was present. Rosa and Chrissy kept searching for a peak at their big brother, but didn't see him.

Soon all of the soldiers marched onto the field. Each wearing an insignia indicating which branch of the service they were heading into.

Finally Darius and his team marched out, standing taller looking tougher than the rest. These guys meant business, and that's when the two little girls spotted their big brother as he stood in head of the elite squad.

At the end of the ceremony the soldiers sought out their families. LaCynthia didn't have any family waiting for her, but that didn't matter. He wanted her to meet his family.

He saw her talking with Maria and Kerrie from the team. He looked at her in her uniform. All three women looked amazing, but Cynthia was the most beautiful. She was strong, and a fighter. He couldn't wait to show her off. He knew his family would love her. Smiling he called out to the ladies.

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers