Outlander Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Governor began to pace as he spoke. "I will start moving the Watch to the docks in plain clothes to avoid raising suspicions. If the Aramonic commander gets even a hint of your presence, they will descend on the docks like a sledgehammer, and we won't be able to hold them off long."

"We plan to set sail by midday tomorrow," Garek said.

"Good, good," the Governor's relief was obvious when he turned to look at them. "Lieutenant Lasko, return these men their weapons."

"Thank you, Governor," Garek said. "We will await your men at the docks." He motioned Jack to follow and turned for the door.

"Wait," the Governor said and strode over to Jack. "You're him? The Outlander?" He already knew, but it was as if he needed confirmation from the Outlander himself.

Jack nodded, unsure what to say. He almost flinched when the Governor suddenly dropped to a knee before him.

"Outlander," the Governor began. "I have prayed to God and Lord Aramon to send you every night since the death of my son. And now my prayers have been answered."

Tears spilled out of his eyes, but his voice didn't waver as he continued speaking. "Know this, Outlander. My sword is yours. I swear it by the blood of my fallen son. I swear it before God and Lord Aramon that when the time comes, I will follow you into hell itself. I will give you my last measure. I will have my vengeance. I will have justice." His voice had risen to a crescendo and his eyes looked to Jack for assurance.

Jack was overwhelmed by the Governor's declaration but knew he had to say something. He placed his hand on the shoulder of the man who still knelt before him and said the only thing he could to offer comfort.

"Justice will be yours," he said solemnly. Jack felt a lump form in his throat at the look of gratitude and devotion on the Governor's face. "Now, stand. We have much to do."

Garek's heart leaped at this small glimpse into the kind of leader Jack could be. A great sense of relief washed over him, and for the first time, he found himself believing that Jack truly was the Outlander of prophecy.

Jack turned to Garek just then, and the Captain felt the command in the Outlander's gaze. At that moment, he too silently pledged his fealty to the Outlander and surrendered his will to the call of destiny. For the prophecy was clear on this point: all would bow before the Outlander or be as wheat to the scythe.

Jack took his weapon when Lasko proffered it. He swung the belt around his waist and caught the opposite end with his hand. "I think it's time I knew the complete truth, Garek," he said.

"Very well, my lord," Garek said, "but can we wait until we get back to the ship? A proper explanation will take awhile."

Jack nodded as he secured the buckle of his sword belt. He set his hand on the pommel and felt the calming pulse of the leyline that seemed to live within the sword. He turned to Kairn and Grelik, who had just joined them after reclaiming their weapons. "We are headed back to the ship," he said. "Keep an eye out for snake bellies."

"Yes, Outlander," they said in unison.

No one, not even Jack, seemed to notice that he was the one giving the orders now.