Paramedic Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Rob, Tim is a borderline medic with his skills. He also has terrible self-confidence and an image problem. Combined with arrogance, poor people skills and poor personal hygiene he is trying to get himself a position of power. Who do you think would be running the association?" said Jared.

"You are probably right, Jared. But, don't hold back anything and really tell me what you think of Timmy." Rob said barely containing his laughter.

Liam gave Rob a smirk and said "That was sugar coated; you don't want to hear what he really thinks, Rob."

All three of the men chuckled together. "The only problem with you guys working days will be I need to split you up and put part-time medics with you. That gives me two strong units as opposed to 1 strong and 1 weak unit. I know you guys work together well and you are my best team, I hate to split you up." said Rob.

"Rob if that's what you need, we'll help you out and babysit the part-timers." said Liam.

"So Rob, how are you going to deal with Timmy and Crew? I would suspect they are all in this together for the association. Honestly, the vast majority of the medics I have spoken with either aren't interested or don't care." said Jared. He continued "Come to think of it, that's the way medics deal with everything. They either don't care or aren't interested in change."

"You're right Jared." said Rob. He started to say something, but stopped. "I need to ask you something, in confidence." asked Rob.

"Anytime Robbie, you know that. Anything you say to me can be said in front of Liam as well. Both of us understand what confidentiality means." replied Jared.

"I agree with Jared." said Liam.

"Guys, I'm out of my element in dealing with Tim and his crew. Jared, I'm a Critical Care Paramedic, instructor and operational administrator. I'm not human resources trained and although I have been learning slowly, I don't know what to do." said Rob. "You two have never been a problem and always been the big teamwork motivators, and helping me into my role more than anyone else. I thank you for everything you've done, but I'm out of my element here and I need some help."

Rob continued, "The thefts, the damages, the Health Department, staffing problems and shortages, Timmy, and now the association are all taking a toll on me. My wife is worried sick about me because of long hours and I'm not sleeping very well when I do get home. I haven't been spending any time with the kids either and they are sensing problems from me. My wife and I have been talking about me finding another job, back in the field somewhere."

Rob had dropped his look of being the supervisor, and now looked pretty beaten up. He had a blank look on his face best summarized by "burnt out." He had been acting as the boss when they came in, but now he had dropped the facade and was being honest to us thought Jared.

Jared was very concerned with what he saw in Rob. He reached out and placed his hand on Rob's hand while at the same time grabbing Liam's hand under the table. Jared concentrated and suddenly both Liam and he were flooded with Rob's thoughts, emotions, and inner conflicts all focused at the point he left the field to become an administrator. Jared removed his hand and let go of Liam. He glanced at Liam and asked "We have to help Rob any way we can now that we know everything, right partner?"

Liam nodded his head and said "What we need to do is picture clear to me, Jared."

Jared turned to Rob and asked "How is staffing today?"

"It's good. You guys are the floaters today for backup or messy situations." replied Rob.

"Liam, grab us a couple of radios so we can monitor the channel while we're talking with Rob." said Jared.

As Liam was leaving to the room, Jared asked, "You told me once before the guy you report to is named John. Have you talked to him about this?"

"I've played telephone tag with him a few times over the last couple of days but we just haven't spoken." he replied.

"Let's get him on the speaker phone right now and bring him up to speed. We can all put our heads together to deal with this." suggested Jared.

Liam returned to the room with the radios, closed the door and sat down again.

"Ok, I'll try Jared." Rob exhaled loudly showing his frustration as pulled the phone to him. He picked a line, hit speaker and dialed the number. It rang and was answered after the third ring.

"Bear Investment Group, how may I direct your call?" asked a young voice.

"I need to speak with John please." said Rob.

"I am sorry, he's not available right now or for most of the day, may I give you his voice mail?" she asked. Rob gave Jared and Liam the "I told you so!" look on his face.

Jared spoke up "May we speak with Marlene, please?"

"Of course you may, Sir. I'll put you right through to Ms. Bear." she replied. The transfer was made and everyone heard the phone ring.

The phone was answered "Marlene Bear, how may I help you today?"

Rob had a puzzled look on his face and was mouthing words to Jared, "Who is Marlene Bear?"

Jared held his finger up in the universal gesture of just give me a minute.

"Marlene, the harmony and serenity of your voice is only surpassed by the beauty of your face." said Jared.

Laughter over the speaker was heard by the three men. Rob gave a real puzzled look to Jared. Marlene said "Jared! It has been so long since we spoke, but usually when you start a conversation with lines like that, the shit is about to hit the fan." she said with laughter in her voice. Marlene then added, "What's up, cuz?"

"I'm here with Liam and Rob at the Ambulance Base. We need help from John so we need to speak with him."

"He's in one of his usual meetings, Jared, not that I can't pull him out, but what's up?" she asked.

"Marlene, please pull him" said Jared with a very flat voice. "I want both of you to hear this so put it on speaker phone when he gets there. Plus, you two might want to get a coffee too. This may take a while. We'll get ready on this end, so give us five minutes please."

"Sure thing, Boss." she said and put him on hold.

Rob's jaw hit the table and he asked, "Cuz and Boss? What is this all that about?"

Liam cut in, "Is this one of those investments?" he asked to Jared.

"Yes Liam, this one and a few others." replied Jared. "Rob, this will be brief but I can explain more at a later time. Before we get back on the phone with John, the Bear Investment Group has a fairly diversified investment portfolio, and they own a few ambulance services as part of a business group within the corporate structure. Marlene is my real cousin and she's classified as the CEOPS (Chief Executive Operations) and John's executive assistant. That makes her third in command of the Corporation." explained Jared. "John is Chief Financial Officer and second in command but has the role of Acting CEO."

Rob was listening attentively. "I'm almost afraid to ask, but here I go, Jared. How do you know so much about the Bear Investment Group?"

"Well, to start with, my name is Jared Bear. I chose Bear as the name for my company as the Bear is the healer in the spiritual world of the first nations people. I am the President and actual CEO of the Bear Investment group, Rob."

Rob was stunned and didn't know what to say. Jared looked at him and said, "Rob, you're drooling. Close your mouth."

Rob shook his head and said, "We need to talk more after this call is finished, Jared." Rob thought for a moment and then said, "I guess I better rephrase that. Jared, may I have a few minutes of your time for a discussion after you have finished the phone call?"

"Rob, I'm still Jared and just a paramedic who works for this company and for all intents and purposes, you are my boss. I have taken this action because..." He was cut off by the phone line opening.

"Jared, what's up? This must be serious for you tell us to get coffee." said John.

"John, I'm here with Rob at the ambulance service and we need your's and Marlene's help. I have dropped my persona and Rob is aware of who I am after Marlene called me boss."

"Oh shit! I'm sorry, Jared." she said.

"Marlene, I am going to charter a helicopter with a cargo net and dump a load of horse shit on your front lawn for giving me up to Rob." said Jared with a straight face.

"Oh not again, Jared." she replied.

They could hear John say, "Marlene, last time it was cow shit, not horse shit."

Rob was sitting there looking at the phone and Jared in total shock.

"John, now we get serious. Rob is crashing and burning here. He's been trying to get you on the phone with no success. What's the problem?" asked Jared.

"My apologies Rob; we've been having problems with the voice mail but you should've been put right through to me no matter where I was." said John.

"He wasn't, John." stated Jared. "I see a couple of problems and I need Marlene to fix this for me. There's a new voice at the front desk who obviously doesn't know who Rob is and the priority his calls get. She was very polite and followed procedure but it appears to me something was overlooked. Marlene, can you deal with that please?"

Marlene answered quickly "I'll deal with it after this call, Jared."

"Thanks, cuz. Rob is burning out because of the size of the staff and being operations manager. I want a Human Resources person hired and in place ASAP and that person will report to Rob. Marlene, once they're in place, I would like you to come down here and spend some time with them. You are the best I know in that field."

Marlene answered quickly again, "I will start looking for someone today, Jared. I won't be able to drive down there though. My car will be buried in the laneway with horse shit."

"Cancel the air drop." laughed Jared. "I need you here more, cuz."

"Will I get to meet Liam when I come down? Grandfather called and told us about seeing you two." she laughed.

John spoke up as well, "Yes, when do we get to meet him, Jared. Grandfather told us your whole tribe was in the sweat lodge when he visited you for a chat. He said you guys were cute together and made a good couple."

"I want to know if he is really hung well and if I could turn him to light side." Marlene said.

"Marlene, you may get 2 loads of shit now, as well as John, too. You just outed us both to Rob. At this very moment, Rob is sitting across from me holding his head in his hands and staring at the desk." said Jared laughing.

Jared looked at Rob across the desk from him just sitting and staring at him. He turned to look at Liam and he was blushing, starring at the ceiling and pretending to whistle as if he didn't hear a thing.

Rob spoke up "Jared, I'm going to have to keep a list of things we need to speak of after the call."

They all heard "Shit" come out of the speakerphone a few times. Jared then asked, "Anything else you two want to let Rob know about?"

John and Marlene were laughing. John replied, "No sir, we can leave the goats for another day."

Rob exclaimed, "Goats? God help me, what've you two sent me as a paramedic?" and started to loosen and laugh.

Liam jumped in, "Goats? Are you a Daaaaaaddddddy, Jared?" The other end of the phone was lost in laughter and even Rob started as well.

Jared spoke, "I'm keeping my own list here, four loads of shit to be delivered, and a spanking for Liam. Rob, if you don't stop helping them to gang up on me I'll add loads of shit for your house too."

Rob was obviously beginning to relax somewhat and asked, "My wife has been wanting me to get some for the garden. Could you dump it in the backyard?"

Jared looked at him and gave him the finger. "Screw you all. Let's get back on topic here. Next is I want some of the guys from the Bear Security Group with cameras on the move this morning. Rob will give you the addresses, four of them, and I want those people followed and videotaped. They're possibly trying to form an association here at the base. I don't have a problem with unions or associations and you know we have some at a few of the other ambulance bases. My problem is who and how they're doing it. If the staff had been serious, I could've even suggested a couple of contacts at the other bases to help them organize properly and above board. The main people have called in sick for the next two shifts with a GI problem. I want a written report summarizing their activities emailed to me and Rob at the end of each surveillance shift; 24 hour coverage for this job, John."

"Understood, Jared." replied John.

"Now that Liam is known to you guys, John, he needs help with investments for a settlement he had banked away. Can you come down and talk to him in the next couple of days. You can also scope out what is going on here." said Jared.

"I can be there the day after tomorrow. There are a couple of things I need to deal with tomorrow, Jared and unfortunately they can't be delayed. As soon as I'm finished, I'll drive down. Is the spare bedroom still open?" asked John.

"You're more than welcome to stay with us, John. You don't even need to ask." replied Jared.

"Will you wear some fucking clothes when I'm there or have you got Liam doing the nudist thing already?" asked John with a hint of humour in his voice.

Rob looked at him and opened his mouth to speak. "Rob, you say one word and there will be 3 loads dumped at your house." said Jared with a big smile on his face.

"John, he's corrupted me already. He won't let me wear clothing and I have to call him Master." said Liam with a fake pout on his face. The two on the phone were laughing again.

Marlene spoke up, "I think I'm going to like you, Liam."

Jared looked at Liam, "One more word from you and you get the spanking here!"

"We're having thefts of drugs and willful damage done to equipment in our units. I want cameras to record everything in the back of every unit as well as upgrading them around the base. There are some blind spots inside and outside I want covered. Preferably this should be done in the next 2 days while the troublemakers are off sick and I'm thinking they are involved in these problems." directed Jared.

"Yes, sir" John said in voice which indicated deep thought.

"Rob, I want you to direct each of the people who call in sick to get certificates from a doctor to confirm it. We are not required to pay for sick day absenteeism so while they're off, no pay. They are not allowed to return to work until the note is in our possession and our Doctor has confirmed the note with their doctor."

"Yes, sir" Rob said.

"Rob needs a pay raise. Marlene, increase it 40% and add a paid 5 day cruise into his contract yearly, effective today." Jared looked at Rob and said "I need you here, Rob. Understood?"

Both Marlene and Rob said, "Yes, sir."

"Lastly, Liam is to be terminated." Jared then changed his voice in a high pitched one with a terrible lisp, "He has been such a bitch and I can't stand it anymore!"

They could hear John and Marlene loose it on the other end of the phone. Rob was laughing so hard he couldn't catch his breath. Liam was standing there with his hands on hips.

Liam, using the same type of voice Jared had said, "You bitch! If you think you are going anywhere near the bed or me tonight, you're wrong! It's the couch for you, mister, until you change your tune. He wanted me to wear a French maid outfit to clean the house, imagine all of this in that costume! It would be big in the wrong places!"

John and Marlene now could not speak because they were laughing so hard. Rob was on the floor having fallen out his chair. Finally, Liam and Jared lost it too.

After some time, Marlene was heard on the phone, "Liam, I think we're going to get along fine!"

Jared spoke up, "You're both just bitches!" Everything finally settled down where people could talk again.

"Marlene, I have been thinking..." started Jared.

"Oh shit, I hate it when he starts that way." blurted out Marlene.

"As I was saying before being interrupted by my lovely cousin who is almost unemployed, I want you down here tomorrow to help Rob sort out the personnel problems here until you hire a HR person. You can stay at a hotel and troll the bars for potential husbands at night. Although there aren't many young, good looking, rich, low IQ'd and blind..."

Marlene cut him off, "Asshole." Jared started laughing again as did John.

"Ok people, do we have questions? Is Everyone clear on what must be done and in what timeframe?" asked Jared.

Marlene chirped up on the other end of the phone "So what are you doing to help us, Maskwa?"

Jared smiled and looked at Rob, "Who, me? I'm just an ambulance driver. I don't know anything; just ask Liam, he'll back me up. By the way, John and Marlene, did Grandfather tell you Liam is now Mikisow?"

"No, he didn't. Way cool. No wonder you two do so well together with those sprit guides. I can hardly wait to meet him." said Marlene.

Liam spoke up, "You know, Jared; she doesn't sound anywhere near as old and as much of a bitch as you painstakingly described her."

Just as Marlene shrieked from the other end of the phone, Liam shrieked at this end due to Jared grabbing his nipple and twisting it hard.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for the meeting. Marlene, send me a copy of the minutes by email ASAP please. Let's get to it people. I have an ambulance to drive." said Jared.

Everyone said good bye and Rob hung up the phone. Rob stood and stuck out his hand for Jared to shake. When they grasped each other, Jared reached into his mind and saw he was actually happy to see things being fixed and action taken. Rob was thinking to himself his wife was going to be very happy about the cruise. A sudden fear came into Rob's mind about the kids and babysitters.

Rob shook his head and they both sat down. "So where does this leave us Jared? You are my boss." asked Rob.

"By the way, I just had a thought; I am going to change the cruise to a family vacation with all expenses covered. There will be no need for babysitters."

Rob looked at him in deep thought. "I was just thinking that. Thank you Jared."

"I was the one who promoted you if truth be known, Rob. I've been the boss or owner of this place since I was young and it's a long story. But, it can best be summarized as I received a large estate when my parents were killed. John and my grandfather built it up to what it is today, and taught me everything they know. With what they taught me, I diversified the investments and expanded what they had into emergency medical services and security fields. We will never be the world's largest company, but we keep a lot of people employed, and make a little money from it."

Rob just stared and said, "Wow."

"No one except the three of us need to know about this, Rob. Do you have a problem with continuing as we were? After all, Rob, I kept it from you for years. This is your show. I'll step in if I must to protect my employees, the service users, or my investment, but it's your show. I will not interfere with your job and it will be the same as before. You keep talking with John, and now Marlene, as if I don't exist except as your employee. But if you need something, let me know." said Jared.

"I can do that, Jared, and thank you for your help. I have always thought of you as one of the best medics I have ever seen and now I know you are damn good boss, too. Thank you for the raise and benefits. I'll call my wife and let her know what is going on." said Rob.

"Make sure your door is closed please, Rob, and do not use my name, just the boss. I know how women gossip." said Jared.

"No problem." replied Rob.

"Something I really need you to know, Rob, I am not interested in running a business at this point in my life. I know how to do it and enjoy the role I play in the big picture but I truly love my work as a paramedic and healer. That work is my path through life. You have no clue how much I give to various organizations to help them provide services to the people. I have people running the business for me, people like you, Rob. How many people do you know who are the owners of multi-million dollar business and they change disposable diapers for adult patients who have soiled themselves or get puked on by some drunk. My calling and my life is being a paramedic, working shifts like everyone, and trying to heal those who need help." said Jared.