Patrick Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What are you doing?" as he approached her.

"Getting dressed," she replied not noticing the gleam in his eyes.

"We haven't made love yet." Patrick said taking the tee shirt from her hands.

"Yes we did," Kevyn said, "before we got up."

"That was hours ago." Patrick replied as he pulled her to him by the waistband of her jeans.

********

Gene got to his mother's house early. Louise had already started making room for the food that she knew was coming. Although she never said anything, she didn't like Clay, she never had but when he called to say to make room for food what was she supposed to do?

Gene's showing up early was a mixed blessing, he would help her get ready but he would also talk badly about Kevyn and her man would be added to the mix. Louise didn't know who Patrick Sinclaire was but she did know money when she saw it and wondered how Gene was handling it.

"You doing alright?" she asked and then wished that she hadn't.

"What do you think?" he snapped, "We let her kill mom and now she's got this .....Man who thinks that he can just walk in her and act like king to her queen!"

"What is wrong with you?" Louise asked, "She's only doing what we asked her to do and we didn't even ask. She's right when she says that we made her the family toilet...."

"Oh I get it!" Gene interrupted, "You're on her side since you're getting the house..."

Louise stared at her brother; she had known that he could be petty and jealous she just didn't realize how bad he really was.

"You want the house?" she asked heatedly, "is that what this is about because Kevyn is giving me the damned house?"

"No....."

"You know what? You can have it! I'm sick of the drama and I'm sick of Pittsburgh! After the dust clears I'm going to ask Kevyn about going back with her so take the damned house and I hope that you're happy here." she said slamming down a glass so hard that it shattered cutting her hand.

"Shit sis, I'm sorry!" Gene said as he ran for a towel. Juliet arrived a few minutes later and took in the scene.

"What happened here?" she asked not seeing that Louise was bleeding at first. When she noticed she gasped, "Let me see." she said dropping her purse on the floor. "Lou you need stitches, that's a pretty deep cut."

"I'll be fine." Louise said standing up.

"Lou.... "

"I'm not going back to that hospital!" She all but screamed.

"Alright just calm down." Juliet said softly. "Gene there's a first aide kit in my car go get it please."

Gene met the caterer on the way out, "Go on in." he grumbled. He felt responsible for Louise's accident, he hadn't realized just how on edge she was and he with his jealousy and temper had inadvertently pushed her over the edge.

Kevyn and Patrick arrived as he was getting the first aide kit from the trunk of Juliet's car.

"Who's hurt?" Kevyn asked.

"Louise cut her hand....."

Kevyn and Patrick took off toward the house leaving Gene talking to the wind.

"Lou?" Kevyn called as soon as she was in the house, "what happened?"

"I cut my hand on the glass is all, I'm fine."

"She needs stitches...."

"I am not going back there! Just wrap it up and it'll be fine." Louise said her anxiety level rising.

"Let me look at it." Kevyn said removing the towel. "Lou it's pretty deep."

"I'm not going!" Louise said crying.

Patrick sat next to her, "Louise, may I look at your hand?"

"I suppose you used to be a doctor?" Gene asked snidely.

"No I wasn't but I was a paramedic at one time." Patrick replied absently as he examined Louise's hand. "I need gauze, antiseptic and Louise it's going to burn like hell, 2x2s or 4x4s or whatever you have and some tape."

As Patrick cleansed and dressed the cut he gave the healing process a little boost. "Keep it dry and change it immediately if it gets wet."

"Thank you so much! I don't mean to be a baby but I just can't go back there." Louise said.

"I understand." Patrick said with a smile.

*********

Clay pulled up behind a car that was obviously a rental; it didn't belong to any of the family which meant that it belonged to Patrick Sinclaire. He adjusted his glasses on his face, picked up the huge bouquet of flowers that he bought for Kevyn and then the smaller bouquets he bought for her sisters and headed toward the house.

He tapped on the door and walked in before anyone gave permission for him to enter. He looked around the room for Kevyn and made a beeline for her when he saw her.

"Kevyn, I'm so sorry for your loss." he said as he presented her with the bouquet of flowers. As he bent down to kiss her cheek he felt rather than heard someone beside him.

"Mr. Robinson." Patrick said smoothly, "It was generous of you to provide the food for the evening."

"It's my pleasure." Clay replied just as smoothly as Patrick, "I'm sure that Kevyn told you that we go way back, as a matter of fact we went all the way through school together."

"It's always nice to meet a friend of Kevyn's." Patrick replied before turning to Kevyn. "Sweetheart, are you ready to start?"

Gene watched the interaction between Clay and Patrick with interest. Both men were about the same height and build, if there was a fight, either of them could win but his money was on Clay. Patrick Sinclaire was too much of a pretty boy to be any good in a fight in spite of the bravado that he was showing with Clay.

Kevyn watched the two men and decided to end it before it even started. She knew what Clay was up to; he wanted to know exactly where he stood with her which was the same place that he had always stood. Nowhere.

"Excuse my manners, "she said as she stood up and took Patrick's hand. "Clay this is Patrick Sinclaire my significant other soon to be husband, Patrick this is Clay Robinson and as he said we go way back starting in grade school. Now can we get started?"

Everyone was watching and listening waiting to see what Clay would say or do.

Clay was seeing red but hid his anger, not even he would be disrespectful to a family in mourning but after the funeral....

"Alright here's what I've done." Kevyn said, "I've ordered the spray in mom's favorite flowers- red roses and white carnations, the ribbon will say mother on it unless someone has another idea."

She waited a few minutes and continued.

"I also called Pastor Brown to ask if he would give the sermon and...."

"Excuse me Kevyn." Clay said smoothly, "I'm sure that Pastor Brown is a good messenger of god but I can ask Pastor...."

"Thank you but Pastor Brown is a friend of the family and he's already accepted." Kevyn said.

"When is the service?" Gene asked.

"Today is Tuesday so it's Thursday which means that we need to get over the funeral home tomorrow morning."

"I picked out her clothes." Louise said softly.

"And I have the programs made out." Juliet said, "Barbara called and said that she would be here by tomorrow night."

As the planning continued Patrick was very aware that he was being sized up by Clay. He felt the man's anger when Kevyn introduced him as he significant other and future husband but underneath the anger Patrick also sensed another emotion, the man loved Kevyn and always had.

The planning of the funeral was over by nine, after hearing people argue for almost an hour, Kevyn put her foot down and said that they would follow the same program that they had used for their father. Patrick noticed that it was always Gene who led the discussions that caused the problem. He looked from Gene to Clay and then back at Gene again realizing that they shared a connection. Once again his gaze rested on Clay who stared at him with hostility in his eyes.

Someone was going to die.

********

Puff paced. He was in a quandary over what he should do. In all of his time with Clay he had never second guessed him; he had always done what needed to be done, but this.... It was wrong. He had tried to talk to Clay about it, tried to appeal to the love that he knew that Clay still had for Kevyn but to no avail.

"She's a threat!" Clay said his tone sharp.

"I don't think so." Puff replied, "She would have told about whatever it is that you're so afraid of by now."

"I'm not afraid of anything!" Clay protested.

"Then leave her be." Puff advised, "If you leave her alone, she'll leave you alone."

But Clay didn't buy it, "What if she tells that rich man of hers?" he asked "then I'm in deep shit and I'm not losing everything because of that night!"

"Clay, we're friends right? I mean we've been through it together." Puff said, "Tell me what happened that night, maybe it isn't as bad as you think."

"I.... I can't." Clay said and walked away.

Puff had to agree with Gene; Clay should have just accepted the fact that Kevyn didn't love him. The other thing that he didn't understand was Gene. How could he choose Clay over his own flesh and blood? As he struggled to understand Gene's decision he understood something else, as long as Clay lived Kevyn wouldn't be left in peace. But could he kill the man that had taken him in and sobered him up when everyone else had given up on him? He didn't know. He could only hope that Clay came to his senses and that he wouldn't have to choose between him and Kevyn.

*******

It was well after two before the discussion about their mother's possessions ended. Once again Gene was at the center of the controversy throwing a wrench into the works when things were seemingly solved and once again Kevyn took charge and ended the arguments.

"This is the way it's going to happen, we go to the funeral home tomorrow morning or I guess I should say this morning to pick out the casket, come back here and start packing up her stuff, if you see something that you want take it, if more than one of you wants it work it out.

I refuse to play King Solomon to a bunch of adults" Kevyn said. "As to the house itself it goes to Louise......"

"Why her?" Gene asked," and what about Barbara?"

"Mom wanted Lou to have the house and I agree especially since she was responsible.....

Patrick wasn't listening; he was watching Clay and not liking what he was seeing. He wished that there was a way that he could be out during the day to keep Kevyn safe but there was no way that he could do it; he had to trust someone else with Kevyn's safety.

*******

Clay knew that Patrick was watching him and he didn't care, in a couple of days Patrick Sinclaire and Kevyn.....

He was distracted by Gene calling his name.

"Clay we have to talk."

There was really nothing to talk about but Clay indulged him.

The two men slipped outside and walked a short distance away from the house.

"What?" Clay asked.

"Look, I don't care about him but I'm asking you as a friend to leave Kevyn alone."

Clay pretended to take Gene's request under consideration, "Let me think on it." he said and then walked to his car.

********

Kevyn was exhausted. She had run herself ragged trying to get ready for the services. The only real help that she had came from Patrick and Louise. She knew that Louise wanted to talk to her but she had been too busy to find out what she wanted to talk about. Of all of her siblings she was the closest to Louise simply because between the two of them they took care of their mother. When the dust was settled after the funeral, she would pull Louise aside and talk to her.

Now the day of the funeral was here. Everything was set to go including where the repast would be held, there wouldn't be too many people there other than the family and the few family members that had bothered to give their condolences. Patrick did all that he could to help her relax including massages and making love to her until he was sure that she would sleep soundly but she was always awake a couple of hours later.

He knew that she was nervous about the services, she had to speak but as the time passed he realized that it was something else that was disturbing her and he wondered what it was.

"I know that you're grieving and maybe that's why you aren't resting but is there something else bothering you?"

Kevyn bit her lip, for the first time she wanted to tell someone about that night with Clay but she wasn't sure if she should. She knew that she was still alive only because Clay had feelings for her but now there was Patrick. If she told him then he would be in danger too and he would want to do something about it.

"I'm alright." she replied." just anxious about the service." which was the truth.

Patrick stroked her arm and kissed her forehead before speaking.

"I told you that part of being mates is to help each other in whatever capacity that's needed. The same goes for trust and safety. I want and need to keep you safe but I can't do that if you won't tell me what it is that you're afraid of." Patrick said, "And you need to know something else, if I have to go into your head to keep you safe I will."

"You wouldn't....."

"I would." Patrick said firmly. "You say that it's nerves because of the service, I'll buy that but not entirely but Kevyn at some point you're going to have to tell me about Clay."

"I never slept with him if that's what you mean." Kevyn said wanting to change the subject.

"That isn't what I meant and it wouldn't matter if you did." Patrick replied. "What I do mean is this, he has feelings for you anyone can see that but he also wants to harm you and my question is why?"

When Kevyn didn't answer Patrick let the subject drop, she now knew that he knew that there was something she was keeping back from him.

********

Time was running out and Gene still hadn't decided on what to do about Clay and Kevyn. Once again he asked himself why he found the decision so hard to make. He owed Clay Robinson absolutely nothing! Clay hadn't even made the promised investment and now Gene was wondering if he ever meant to and then realized with a certainty that he hadn't. Clay had been using him all of this time as a way to get close to Kevyn and if he wasn't going to give him the investment then everything that Clay promised him was a lie.

The thought that he had been used was what tipped the odds in Kevyn's favor. Gene picked up the phone and dialed Kevyn's number and got a busy signal.

*********

Puff agonized long and hard over what Clay wanted him to do. If he didn't do it, Clay would get someone who would and then would send that person after him. He thought about trying to talk to Clay again but changed his mind, Clay's mind was made up and he wouldn't change it even if it was the right thing to do. It had to do with Clay's belief that to change one's mind showed weakness.

Puff knew something else too, Clay was very wrong about Patrick Sinclaire. He watched him for a short while the evening before and even from where he stood he could see and feel the sheer power that radiated from the man. Patrick Sinclaire was no one to fuck with and that's exactly what they were planning to do. And if they hurt or killed Kevyn and didn't kill him there would be no place that he or Clay could go that they wouldn't be found.

The funeral services were in six hours, the planned hit on Kevyn and her man was scheduled for the next night. Clay was strict about not taking a life during a funeral service saying that it was bad karma.

********

Clay looked at the woman who resembled Kevyn. This time he taped her mouth closed so that she wouldn't talk ruining the illusion that he was with Kevyn. A pang of sorrow hit him as the thought about what he wanted done but it couldn't be helped and he wasn't going to change his mind no matter how much he wanted to.

He wouldn't survive prison and if Kevyn had to die so that she wouldn't talk then so be it. Patrick he simply didn't like and it wasn't just because he was fucking Kevyn, it was the confidence that he Clay could only hope to emulate. Every time Patrick's blue eyes landed on his own brown ones, Clay had to fight the urge to turn away. He wanted people to feel that anxiety when he looked at them and to some extent they did but Patrick had something that he was lacking in- true power. As he told the woman to get up and get dressed, Clay found himself wishing that he could harness the power that he sensed coming from Patrick for himself.

*********

The Funeral

The family gathered at the small funeral home for the private viewing before the actual service. Since it was too early for Patrick to be able to attend he hired a car and driver for Kevyn and gave the man explicit orders.

"You are not to let her out of your sight for even a moment..."

"Does he have to go to the bathroom with me too?" Kevyn asked exasperated. She tried to tell Patrick that she would be fine but he was taking no chances.

"He doesn't have to go to the bathroom with you but other than that you have to stay within his line of vision."

"Just what do you think is going to happen?" Kevyn asked.

"Probably nothing....."

"So why the guard?" Kevyn asked.

"As I was saying" Patrick said patiently, "probably nothing but I just want to be sure... I don't trust Clay Robinson."

"Patrick let me tell you about Clay Robinson, he's very superstitious, he wouldn't so much as drop a candy wrapper in the chapel without thinking that something bad was going to happen to him. A funeral is sacred to him; if you want to keep me safe just take me somewhere where there are back to back funerals."

"Maybe. But Luke still goes with you and I'll be there right at six." Patrick said.

It was now five thirty and they had all said goodbye several times when the first sympathizer walked in. Clay looked around the small chapel looking for Patrick and was surprised not to see him hovering around Kevyn. He walked toward the casket where Kevyn was standing stroking her mother's hand.

She jumped when she felt arms go around her and for just a second she relaxed back against the body behind her and then froze just as Luke seemed to come from nowhere. Kevyn pulled away and then spun around furious that Clay would lay hands on her like that.

"I was just giving you a friendly sympathy hug." Clay said ignoring Luke. "Where's your man?" he asked.

"Right behind you." Patrick said his rage barely concealed.

Clay turned to face Patrick, started to make a retort but instead walked away. He was wrong; he shouldn't have touched Kevyn like that. This was a sacred event and not one to be trifled with as he had just done. He made his way to the back of the chapel, sat down and reached inside of his shirt to pull out the cross that had been his mother's and began to pray that nothing bad happened to him.

Patrick pulled Kevyn aside and looked her up and down.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine he just caught me by surprise." Kevyn replied as she stepped into Patrick's embrace.

"Excuse me Kevyn." Juliet said softly "but is it alright to let the others mourners in?"

"It's fine." Kevyn replied still holding on Patrick. All she could really think of was going back home to California with Patrick. After this if Gene wanted to make the family decisions he could do it and with her blessing.

Patrick led Kevyn to a seat that was next to her sister Louise and sat on the other side of her. He took Kevyn's cold hand in his while she held Lou's hand with her free one. What surprised her was how many people came to the funeral leading her to wonder where these people were when he mother needed a friend just to have a cup of coffee with.

It almost nauseated her to hear the sobs coming from people who hadn't spoken to her mother or anyone in her family since her father died. The pastor made stood up front when the time came and began the service.

"Here lies a woman of god....."

Kevyn wasn't listening; she was trying to formulate what she was going to say. Clay was the furthest thing from her mind, what she knew about him was even further away as she heard the minister call her name.