All Comments on 'Pictures to Remember Me By'

by coldwater1

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Why were the waitresses driving such expensive cars??

I felt that the story was trying way too hard to make the reader sympathize with the illness and not much focus was left for the characters.

Plus the relationships that cropped up between them were totally unbelievable..

A mom who is okay with dating her daughter's fuck buddy??

None of it made any sense.

It could have been an awesome story if there was a dash more of realism in it..

Still I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
To anonymous---I don't know your age

but this story addresses my worst fear. I am in my early 70's but my father succumbed to Alzheimer's in his late 80's (after years in a nursing home) as did his uncle. His younger brother was getting there when he died in his 90's. I keep on designing digital logic circuitry to stave it off. I urge you to read George Effinger's 'The Wolves of Memory', and then come back to complain about waitresses high-end rides. I remain scared shitless.

coldwater1coldwater1about 8 years agoAuthor

Thanks for the feedback.

About the waitresses driving nice cars: I never mention what Bella drives, and Elise I only say drives an Audi. It could be a 20 year old Audi with 250K miles and the rear bumper falling off. Katie drives the nice car, but she's not a waitress and might well have a rich doctor ex-husband.

SirBigfootSirBigfootabout 8 years ago
Not sure how to feel

I actually had a friend who's wife had early onset Alzheimer's. It was rough on all of us, meaning him and all of their friends. But this addresses it about as well as can be done.

Thank you

dc6370dc6370about 8 years ago
A rough story

Don't take the tag line as a negative comment. As a 52 year old male, I can only imagine the devastation that disease would bring to my family. This was a well written story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Very well done

Thank you to the author! A well written story about an incredibly difficult subject. To the usual "out of the woodwork" nit-pickers, the waitresses cars - really, get a life!

I, for one, became engrossed in the tale, thanks again!

dyonysosdyonysosabout 8 years ago
Charming

A charming story about a man with one of the most horrible diseases of the brain,surely this story is romantic but it's allso clear that he suffers only mildly of the symptoms and he has no family exept for katie.

It is much worse when you forget about your wife,when you don't remeber what your children look like and you are living in your own world,mind you the disease is not really so terrible for the patients as they don't remeber the past,it's far worse for the loved ones as in the end they will see the light of recognition goes out slowly but ever so constantly

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Nice and sensitive story

I lived through my father's Alzheimer's. At first he was like Rick, very good at covering up, but occasionally caught out. Like Rick he met a women (although under very different circumstances) and they had a good life together despite his condition. Sadly however in the end his condition got too much for her, or anybody, to cope with and he had to go into a home. He died not long after. At least, like Rick, he had a good time on the way down.

I found this story very emotional bringing back memories of my father. However it also cheered me up, reminding me that, although the ending was sad, he had had a good life for many years despite suffering from Alzheimers.

ausvirgoausvirgoalmost 8 years ago
Really good story!

Whilst I can sympathise with the commenter who thought the lead-in too long, it was necessary to make the story work.

You've done a really good job on a tough subject!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
A touching story

A very nice story!

Such a sad disease that robs people of their memories. I saw both my dad and my mom change as the disease took away who they were.

SweetCupcakeSweetCupcakeabout 7 years ago
Amazingly This Made Me Heartsick and Horny!

I thought the introductory background was very pertinent and unusually well-written. It certainly made me "feel" Rick and engage with his character. I found him super sexy (I like men of a certain age, he was attractive, fit, intelligent, accomplished -- pressed all my buttons), but then he also had this tragic secret. I was on the edge of my chair wondering how he could cope. I desperately wanted him to be happy and I really was dying for him to be sexual. As a young woman, I was happy he realized some great sex with the young girl, but okay, in the end he found true love with the age-appropriate, albeit beautiful and loving woman. Again, wonderfully written. I'd love to be in his threesome. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Dear Author, Very excellent, as Ted would say! Great story, great characters, happy ending. What more could a reader ask. Thank you again for your five star short story.

jntiques

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
What a Great Story

It’s not often I see “feel good” stories about this horrible disease, but that’s exactly what this one is. I’ve had two members of my family succumb to Alzheimers, and it is painful. More so, I think, for the caretakers and survivors than for the victim. What an insidious curse it is. I thank the author for bringing a little happiness into the realm of this affliction. Thank you, coldwater1. I wish I could give this story Ten stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Great story. THANK YOU!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Beautifully written!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Beautiful and sad and sweet. Alzheimer's is so terrible and I can't imagine what it must be like to go through it. 5*

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

Excellent story, like '50 First Dates'. Also worthy of 50 stars. 5 BIG FAT ASS FUCKING FLAMING SUPER NOVA STARS!

MwestohioMwestohio9 months ago

Lovely, though probably unrealistic story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous