All Comments on 'Planet of the Tentacons'

by SimonDoom

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
EtaskiEtaskialmost 6 years ago
Now, that was interesting :)

I only, just now, read the description for this story past the title, because I jumped straight in from the Geek Pride Day list. Your description suits, sets the tone, offers a reason and a mood to read, and is helpful. But I didn't see it, I just read the story, so this was a "blind read" for me. No idea what to expect.

As a result, I think I felt the horror aspects more keenly for being under-prepared, and it took longer for me to settle into the intended tone, but don't worry, I got there eventually. ;) I know I mentioned "cheese" on the forum for the beginning, as that was the first mood I settled into (I expected this to be "over the top" in ways, the mood of Geek Pride seemed to suit that). but I do retract that now. Mind control through biochemical weaponry (pretty common on our own planet) was both a horror aspect and a BDSM/male dom experience, and the human betrayal is revolting, but again, all too common in our own history, selling each other into slavery.

So! Now I got it. I must compliment you on the slow build, the pacing (that seems to be a knack of yours), covering the emotional experiences of Talia more than adequately every step of the way, the patient development of the Tentacons, the increasingly unsettling atmosphere, and the very "deep bite" you give to the description of the alien biology in all aspects of the story. You also made the sex both strange as fucking hell *and* familiar, exactly what is needed for non-human erotica.

I could at first appreciate the Lord's explanation to Talia of the supposed differences between the races, but at the same time, I didn't quite believe it. It felt "too familiar" and with that distinct "destiny" vibe that never belongs to any true Buddhist. I was satisfied with the reveals at the end, and the direction provided for imagining what happens next. Whooo, baby, sucks in many ways, and yet the character has an impressive launch point to become someone far beyond the meek and naive person she was at the beginning of the story.

Good read, Simon. Thank you for including an entry for the true Biology Geek (like me) and incorporating a ton of great details into this story. :)

EtaskiEtaskialmost 6 years ago
You know, I forgot two things

First, your Peter and the Starcatchers quote made me grin. ;) I love Dave Barry, although I met Ridley Pearson (cowriter for the book).

Second, the Noids. Was I mistaken to get the impression that those particular forms closely resembled the "Greys" from Rosewell-type alien imagery? If that was intentional, I enjoyed pondering that as a possible link to our "Earth stories" leading up to the arrival of Transit. :)

xelliebabexxelliebabexalmost 6 years ago
Wow or Whoa!

I am unsure whether to say wow or Whoa! There is so much to like about your story, especially the fine detail you give to everything that made it so easy to travel there in my mind and see these aliens.

There were a lot of squicky moments for me too though and when it came to the end I didn't know if I absolutely loved it or wanted to pass out at the thought of giving birth to 109 little aliens. My god man will she explode first?!?!

I came down on the side of loved it when I voted but I'm still feeling a little queasy over the highly detailed, very wet and extra gooey sex scene, lol.

Really good job Simon, I bet you write one hell of a Halloween story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

Honestly, Simon? A professor, good looking (blonde, of course), top in her field, highly intelligent, and incredibly naïve, incredibly quick at ease. The men, mean looking, rude, unattractive greedy… All other clichés…

“Stenvo and the Noid ambassador exchanged rote pleasantries and ceremonial praise for another ten minutes. Talia's mind started to wander.” Within 10 minutes, her mind starts to wander, even though she is face to face with people who have been the topic of her research for many years; when she is “… given the opportunity, after years of study, at last to meet and to communicate with the Tentacons and study their languages (there were many) while the negotiations carried on”? She wants to be renown for her work, she has the skills, but can’t keep her mind on what’s going on?

Nothing in this story even hints at her language skills, that she is trying to learn anything about the language or culture. Nothing demonstrates her smartness. Just another bimbo.

Alice_RosaleenAlice_Rosaleenalmost 6 years ago

I was drawn by the prospect of tentacle sex and was not disappointed. There was a level of intimacy that kept it from being gratuitous alien fucking, though the use of telepathy could have been pushed further to make it truly surreal. Even a sort of sexual awakening for Talia that another human never provided.

Also thought Talia could have started showing signs of bonding with her captor, either by choice because of her curious nature or because of his powers (and a dash of Stockholm Syndrome), or shown resistance during her rescue attempt because she's pregnant, to make her final acceptance more profound.

Nice world building too- I could really envision everything you described technology and culture-wise.

St0fFSt0fFalmost 6 years ago
Great story, but few signs of Talia's professionality

I need to 2nd that critical anonymous post partly - although I disapprove of posting critics anonymously.

I'd have expected her to switch to Tentacon language at least once. Maybe saying "thank you" to Odorin after her first mind-blasting orgasm. Or when talking to the Noid while "calibrating" the translator.

But well, that's it with literature. Not everything goes as one expects :) I still loved that read, couldn't stop till the end.

What happened to that female lawyer, though? Was she not sold? If so, why?

LoquiSordidaAdMeLoquiSordidaAdMealmost 6 years ago
Erm... Mixed Feelings

So I get that any kind of tentacle porn is probably going to involve non-con or mind control. I was ok with that. But Stenvo's betrayal really rubbed me the wrong way, and what I really wanted out of this story was to see him get what's coming to him. And I get that the epilogue suggests that Talia may get her revenge someday, but I don't really believe the epilogue.

I think St0fF hit on the crucial flaw in Talia's lack of development as a "strong" protagonist. In addition to not demonstrating her intelligence, she also didn't seem to have much willpower. She barely put up a token resistance to Odorin. I really don't think she'd have the mettle to bend her offspring to her will. That is, if Odorin doesn't take them away from her the moment they are delivered. That is, if he doesn't just kill her the moment #109 pops out. Surely Odorin knows as much about the mother's connection as Tracy's master, and he's clearly cunning enough to have taken it into account. I really have no reason to believe that Talia is capable of becoming a "Mother of Dragons" type of character. I think "bimbo" was the word that St0fF used, and it's disappointing, but it kind of fits.

That said, the actual tentacle porn with the bimbo was still really erotic and quite well done. I enjoyed that part of the story. Imagining the mechanics is difficult enough, but to layer that with the sensations and emotions and instincts, both human and alien, takes a lot of thought and creativity. To then convey it all through your writing demonstrates impressive talent. That part of the story at least was top notch. I just wish the protagonist had been developed in way that made me believe she could win through in the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Ending not so great

Didn’t particularly care for the ending, or the unnecessary death of her friend :(

redzingerredzingerabout 5 years ago
Echo the earlier comments

Enjoyed it, but I would have expected her to take more of an interest in her life's work, not a backseat.

The clothes thing set me on edge - she 'should' be well aware of the species' predilections, that totally submitting to them in negotiations would show weakness. Instead, she just goes along. It seems to contradict the personality you've established?

Did she have no safeguards to guarantee her return?

Writing wise, you could tighten up your sentence construction. Think about what words are extraneous in following sentences, and what you want to repeat.

Thanks, and well done.

SimonDoomSimonDoomabout 5 years agoAuthor
Reply to comments

It's been a long time since the story was published, but I just saw Redzinger's comment and thought I would reply to it and to the others, and in particular to the criticism of Talia's character. I appreciate that the comments generally are well thought-out and well stated. They are helpful in that respect. That said, I agree with some of them but not all of them.

The relationship between Talia and the Tentacon was never intended to be a battle of wits or a fair fight. I never saw it that way. She's a victim, and she is helpless. That's a crucial element of the story. In some respects it's really a nonconsent story; her helplessness is an element of the eroticism. This isn't Ripley fighting the Alien. The helplessness is part of how I envisioned the eroticism of the story. Moreover, Talia's intelligence and professional skills were meant to play limited roles in the story. I don't see how it would make the story better to develop further her linguistic capabilities or take more time narrating what she can do. It wouldn't serve my purposes in the story; it would just make it longer. As it stands, I do make clear what her purpose is and have her play a role in the interactions between the species, but I had no interest in getting more technical about it. The main purpose of her intelligence is to explain why she's there. They picked her because of her intelligence. Perhaps they picked her because she's both naive AND intelligent, a combination that would suit their purposes. I don't explain that, but it's an explanation that fits the narrative.

I don't think it's unrealistic to have a character that is highly intelligent but also naive, not especially assertive, and not cunning. I know many people like that. Many of them are university professors, like Talia.

I disagree with the "bimbo" characterization. It's true I could have done a few more things to make her intelligence more obvious. In retrospect I should have. But she doesn't act hysterical or say and do dumb things characteristic of a bimbo. I don't think that term's quite right. She simply is in a situation where she has very few good choices. She is a damsel in distress, but that's not the same thing as a bimbo.

I do agree with the criticism that I haven't set her up well to be a "mother of dragons" figure. That's true. It's not entirely convincing. I could have planted seeds early in the story to show a bit more fiber. Or, better, I could have taken a bit more time to describe her post-pregnancy development. I suppose it's true, too, that the Tentacon could have foreseen the potential for trouble, and might already be making plans. But Talia doesn't know that at the end of the story. We don't really know what's going to happen; we just see things from her perspective. It might just be a fantasy on her part.

Anyway, these were interesting and helpful comments, well put, and very much appreciate people reading the story and taking time to make them.

Crusader235Crusader235about 5 years ago
Must love

Must love tentacles! Over the top space porn, should be made into a movie. It would be a major hit in Japan, they love Tentacles. Five Stars, Very well written, and entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

wow we need more from Simon - this is a great story

HawkerPennHawkerPennabout 2 years ago

Terrific story! It begs to be made into a 'major motion picture'. The general release version would be rated 'R', and the special-edition blu-ray & DVD would be unrated, and hardcore. If you're a fan of sci-fi with suspense and horror, this is a must read!

dork42dork42about 2 years ago

Any chance of revisiting and making it a series? When Stenvo realizes they're not going to hold up their end of the bargain, do they try to sue or involve military forces.

Or the mental games each parent tries to win over the children like many divorced couples haha. The kids themselves and their stories. Nancy Kress' trilogy "Beggars in Spain" comes to mind. Anyway, great story thanks for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Terrifyingly good. Five stars ⭐️ for this one.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSimonDoom@SimonDoom
I am a long-time reader of stories on this Site, and I began publishing stories in late 2016. I enjoy a variety of erotic stories, and I hope to publish stories that explore many different aspects of erotica. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.