All Comments on 'Play it Again Sam Pt. 04'

by kublicon

Sort by:
  • 112 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
My God this is getting ridiculous

Okay, I'm out. It was pretty thin before, this was just awful.

grabmyballs2grabmyballs2about 7 years ago
Getting Good

He is really beginning to make use of his days! I am looking forward to more. Having seen the movie several times (of course) I'm sure I would also try my best to be perfect by the time the loop ended for me. Fun to see it written out.

TwentysevenTwentysevenabout 7 years ago
Me Too

Yeah, I'm out too. This fell off a cliff the moment he killed himself and came back to life because of the loop. A pleasant fantasy has become a logical impossibility. And I think you're running out of inspiration.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyabout 7 years ago
Wow

Great writing, and editing. I don't even want to say much,except that I can't wait for the rest. Nice exclamation point to the conversation with Julie. There's a part of the story that reminds me of Marshalien's Literotica ouvre. If you're not familiar with him, check it out. Thanks again.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 7 years ago
Dazed and Bemused

I think the narrative lost focus and took some lively but extraneous paths in the middle-ish of this installment. Now that Sam is done with the superfluous glitter, the gold is still within range of discovery. I liked his refinement of carnal and martial arts skills yet the systematic beatdown of Dr. Love rang hollow. He has been given a gift of time infinitum to refine himself to the highest level.

Julie and her lothario d'jours should be like gnats to him. Story did close strong . Fingers crossed here. Don't be hustled by readers' self serving deadlines. Get it "right" so as to own fully every possible moment ...like Eminem's 8 mile ' One Shot'.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Loved it! *****

This may be the best chapter yet!

I laughed out loud a lot on page three!

Okay, he did what I expected, with all the time on his hands: wallowed for a while and blocked out the pain of his wife cheating with drugs; learned some new skills; tried to make friends and bond with new people; trained and got some satisfactory vengeance on the doctor; shared his new-found wealth; had some fun; and talked to his wife, By the end, I thought he was ready to make the leap...

Wait, I thought this was a cheating wife story?!

Now we have a mushroom cloud? Huh?

Is the next chapter going to be in Sci-Fi?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
BEYOND BELIEF

How anyone could enjoy this crap is beyond me.Should be in non erotic anyway

TheKrrakTheKrrakabout 7 years ago
So he's a victim of bad luck

It's not catching his cheating wife/slut that caused the loop - but a nuke?!?

Wow, that has got to be a first for the LW category - a nuke. Damn.

So is this it? The story ends with a bang for sure, but kind of a whimper as well.

Loved the tale so 5/5 but was wondering where, if anywhere, to go from here...

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
I have to say that I am enjoying this ride.

I like that he does so many different things to improve himself. I like that he finally spoke to his wife. I like that he took out Dr. Dick. I liked that there were unlimited possibilities for reconciliation, revenge, and everything in between. I am curious if the nuke has created a time warp and if he will prevent the nuke from detonating to get out of the loop. This is really interesting.

I didn't like the idea of a lady's "waste-band" or five "burroughs", but shit happens, especially on waste bands!

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 7 years ago
Great!

I love the way this chapter developed, checking out Sam's sexual, social and antagonistic skills, covering the "honey, we need to talk" option, as well as the possibility of friendship and romance beyond the loop. I hope the nuke isn't the end and that he somehow figures out how to save the world.

smmhomesmmhomeabout 7 years ago
Impressive

I started reading this tale intrigued... but skeptical. 4 chapters in, I find myself even more intrigued. This is a fascinating tale.

Thanks

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
What HDK Said

I know I said in my chapter 1 comment that I'd wait 'till the end to post again, but I just couldn't resist.

I agree with everything Harddaysknight says here, and I'm really enjoying how the story is developing. Thanks for telling us that we have two more chapters to look forward to. I also want to compliment you on your sense of humor. You got me laughing out loud several times in this chapter.

Thanks again for bringing us this entertaining piece.

ju8streadingju8streadingabout 7 years ago

this is getting interesting

swingerjoeswingerjoeabout 7 years ago
Just gets better and better

I'm going to stick to my earlier assessment that this is one of the best stories ever posted to this site. Thoroughly entertaining, thought-proving, and even humorous at times. It's so well-executed, you even managed to address some of the comments you received in earlier chapters. In particular, your response to the anonies who wanted to see Sam beat his wife was poignant and powerful.

You clearly know what you're doing as a storyteller. By ending each chapter with a cliffhanger, you leave us wanting to read more immediately. I can't even wrap my brain around those who claim they're "out." If this story isn't compelling and entertaining, then what on Earth is? It just proves that you can't please everyone. Hell, there are some folks who actually don't like Groundhog Day. To paraphrase the immortal words of the great philosopher Laurence Tero, "I pity the fools."

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
another thumbs up

Fun. I thought the story was warming up. The mushroom cloud proved it. ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
What a GREAT story

Kublicon, you absolutely know what you're doing. Haven't read anything as good in

a loooooong time.

So good I think Bonnie Anony- 5 might even like it if she could read it instead

of popping her pimples and eating the pus.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I am reading this to my wife

PUDDING POWER!!!!!

JimC

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Idle Thoughts

“you must know that that stopped being an excuse-" – While it’s true that it was never an excuse, why didn’t she stop when even she admits that it was no longer an “excuse?”

Okay, now he knows it's a nuke. Is he going to zero in on it. and somehow stop the nuclear terrorist?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Loved the line

I would have taken a bullet FOR her, but I couldn't take one FROM her....

(or however exactly you phrased it)

Was that original? Or is credited to somebody elsewhere? I don't care either way, but I hadn't ever heard it before and it is just so simply perfect a sentiment for MANY loving wives stories.

Also, thanks for including details about him celebrating national tapioca pudding day!

I was only a little sad (underneath my chuckles and grins) to find out it WASN"T the lynch-pin to ending the time loop.

Silly yes, but it would have been great: He was put on this earth to realize his full potential.....and that is achieved by raising awareness of the importance of tapioca pudding in everybody's lives! OK, anyway I did enjoy that bit.

Overall, I appreciate how realistic you are being with the plight of someone who is trapped in the absurd. While he may have been given a super power of sorts, even when he really wants to use it for something, it doesn't always work out like he visualized. I think this REALLY helps the readability of this story. It keeps us connected with the protag. It keeps the reader asking themselves "what would I do...." And when we read that you in fact thought of that too? Well, no matter how it turns out, we were committed to going along on the journey with you.

Again, much appreciation and congratulations are due to you.

I really will have a hard time waiting for the next, but I am sure it will be worth it. After all, this IS one of the best serials I have read here in along time. Bravo!

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 7 years ago
Absolutely loving this.

Fantastic story!

HankWTullamoreHankWTullamoreabout 7 years ago
Outstanding!

I normally hate time travel stories. You have put a purpose to the storyline, and education for the hero, just make sure you don't give in and make the bomber Amish.

patilliepatillieabout 7 years ago
Cant say enough for this story

You should write a novel using this concept. And the twist at the end-WOW! Dont know what you are going to do with that...where to go....He should go visit his parents and see what happens...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
well

that was an interesting twist. Ignore the people complaining the story has gone on too long, I'm enjoying the heck out of this.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 7 years ago
It's going well

Good work. The pace is good, the twists are good, and now a cliffhanger (of sorts). Sam is going through the full range of emotions and self-validation; and recognizing where his core beliefs fit-in. He's not by any means stupid. The insider trading fits, but every day he doesn't do it is a risk of not having the cash if that's the day the loop ends. I would have liked it if he threw Peters head first through the bedroom window, but that's not Sam anymore. Why is Sam the only person affected by the mushroom cloud? I'm sure it's revealed, and I'm hooked, so looking forward to it. It's just damned hard to see how Sam escapes intact and not mired in bullshit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Wrong Category

The whole "Groundhog Day" format makes this story difficult to read. Supernatural category would be a more appropriate category for this story. I left it unrated.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I am enthralled

Great story great concept. Don't worry about the nah sayers. The pissed cause the guy is not a cucky wimpy bitch modeled after them cucky little selves

5 full on stars

texaschucktexaschuckabout 7 years ago

Interesting enough said.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 7 years ago
Now I am hooked

Perhaps he can end it by preventing it...fascinating

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 7 years ago
mushroom cloud?

really ? I guess this is a new type of BTB story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Thanks

Your series has brought some light and mystery into this gloomy world.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 7 years ago
Loved the Pudding Day Party

Amusing story. It does all seem to fit together a little now that we have the last line from this chapter.

bruce22bruce22about 7 years ago
Now that was a surprise

Why is not everyone in a time loop ?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Grim

ATB: atomize the bitch.

The story concept and execution was terrific until the end. Ain't nobody got time to be reading about no nuclear bombs in NYC.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 7 years ago
y'all Missing the point about the movieGroundhog's Day.

I know a lot may disagree with my review or assessment here but hear me out and give me a minute to make my case

I understand why a lot of people like this story - it IS very well written and characters are l pretty entertaining and it has a certain intellectual appeal about living each day over and over again. The problem is that while the movie GroundHogs's Day is one of the 10 greatest movies of all time -in my opinion h whether you consider to be a comedy or just a general movie -- THAT movie has a specific purpose and meaning.

You see Groundhogs Days is actually a pretty spiritual movie. The Bill Murray character --Phil the weatherman from Pittsburgh - is a self centered of obnoxious jerk in every possible way. When he is stuck in a time loop his INITIAL entire purpose is to find other women to Fuck. OR Money to steal. Then there is the scene in the Diner where he convinces the woman producer Andie McDowell that if he really is stuck in a time loop he can use this time to a certain advantage and do something productive with it.

The Bill Murray character ends up interacting with many people and because he has become a better person in their lives ... the other people become better. Indeed he any actually saving some of their lives. As Phil becomes a better person Phil becomes more attractive to the woman producer who is the dream woman for him.

.

In this story I don't see any of that. OK.. I can see the value of beating up Dr Dick. And becoming competent in fighting skills . But here you are chapter 4... with 7 years into the story according to the author and the husband is STILL focused completely on his ex wife. He has NOT moved on at all. He is NOT a better person.

Even when he fucks the high class escort he does not want to be a better lover per se... he is doing solely to see IF what his wife said about him as a lover is true.

|Yes the husband has read more books is smarter and more skills and can speak from languages but as a person he is still unchanged from what he was 7 years ago !!! . Maybe that is what the author is trying to do which would be different from what we see in the movie groundhog stay.

So yes this is a much darker depressing tale then that fabulous movie. Even stuck in a time loop .... being fixated on achieving about a cunt whore wife seven years is simply well ... said and pathetic

kubliconkubliconabout 7 years agoAuthor
From the author

The story now takes a turn... I got the idea for this story from watching Groundhog Day, but it is not a completely parallel storyline.

From the beginning I considered posting one or more chapters in the Sci-Fi category. I'd be interested to know if you guys think that's a good or bad idea. Would people who are following the story miss it? Or would a new audience find it? I'm not sure.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Progress

Great story! Having read some comments, particularly HarryinVa, I can see your subtlety. A few points for Harry: first, Sam is in the center of the time loop, in that he can only see a small portion of the universe. To him, his wife's infidelity seems too be the central truth, and therefore, what he needs to deal with. However, he only has a day to do it. After a bit, she isn't really the reason for him anymore. Next, as I know from personal experience, it takes months to years to learn a martial art. Well worth it, to kick Dr Dick's ass. (Though the hose bit was hysterical- hose fu?) Finally, Sam has been improving himself in many ways. I guess he's gonna need it now that the reason for the loop is clear (nu-clear? too much?). Anyways, I will read this in sci-fi or in LW, but I prefer that authors not switch genres in mid story. 5 stars JPR

BriteaseBriteaseabout 7 years ago
The great fire of London started in Pudding Lane

What that means I have no idea, but what a great story !!!!!

ejsathomeejsathomeabout 7 years ago
I'm enjoying the story . . .

. . . but I am looking forward to the end game.

WyldcardWyldcardabout 7 years ago
Posting in SciFi

@kublicon: Why not? You're writing free fiction, so the goal is to entertain strangers. Might as well reach out to more of them. Perhaps in the preface note where different chapters are posted. So if 5 goes to SciFi, post 6 back in LW and let people who didn't follow it know there is a chapter elsewhere.

SKHPSKHPabout 7 years ago
@kublicon

IMO, posting one or several chapters of a multipart story in a different category is not a good idea. Ignore the destructive comments about "not the right category". Stay with your readers at LW - the story simply is one of the best in this category.

swingerjoeswingerjoeabout 7 years ago
@ Kublicon

Please, PLEASE do not post any future stories in another category or readers like me -- who read only Loving Wives stories -- will miss it. I strongly advise any author not to switch categories in any multi-chapter series.

This story is about a man who cannot get past his wife's betrayal. There are literally thousands of stories with that plot in this category. Just because this one has a supernatural twist doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. It absolutely belongs here -- because the central theme of this story isn't the time loop; it's the wife's betrayal and the husband's inability to get past it.

Kublicon, I don't know if you're new here as a reader as well as a writer, but this Loving Wives feud over which stories do or don't belong in this category is probably as old as this website. You'll find the same "doesn't belong here" comment on almost every story ever submitted to this category. If a LW story includes a black character, someone will scream that it belongs in Interracial. If a LW story involves anal sex, folks will scream that it belongs in Anal. If the story involves a loving husband and wife who never venture outside of the marriage, folks will scream that it belongs in Romance. And if a story has zero eroticism whatsoever, folks will scream that it belongs in Non-Erotic. (I'm guilty of that last one myself.)

This story clearly belongs here, and if you move any future chapters to another section you will lose readers.

To Harry's comment, he actually has a point. The movie is about a flawed man who learns something about himself and becomes a much better man by the end of the movie. In this story, Sam is a good guy at the beginning of the story. Instead of being the one who causes harm to others (like Phil's rudeness in the movie), Sam is the one being harmed. He's been living a lie his entire married life.

Both characters have in common the need to resolve whatever problems they have in order to break out of the time loop. Phil had to work on improving his selfish personality, while Sam needs to work on getting past the pain caused by his wife and her friends and getting on with his life.

Just because this story is an homage to the movie doesn't mean it needs to follow the same exact storyline. Given the parameters of Loving Wives, I'm not even sure how that would be done. I was in the middle of formulating that plot myself when Kublicon rudely posted his story!

I'm a big fan of stories inspired by popular movies, books, TV shows, etc.. I've written a few myself for this site, but never wrote one as well as this. My hat's off to you, Kublicon.

jezzazjezzazabout 7 years ago
Re HarryinVA and Other comments about spirituality.

I think you are missing the point here. This is borrowing a premise from Ground Hog Day, not the plot - there's a difference. This is a story in Loving Wives, and it revolves around a loving wife not being so loving.

Now, as a writer, I see the set up here not being about the protagonist bettering himself and becoming a better person - he was a pretty decent guy before the loop started - there's no obstacle to overcome there. You can only go down that route if the guy was a dick to start with, and he's not.

No, if I was writing this, the setup here - learning languages, the costuming aside, the learning to fight (cleverly setup because the cuckolder can also fight, so if our hero wants any kind of self respect, he's forced to attain those skills), it's all designed to give him the skill set to track down whomever it is is blowing up the city.

Our hero is quite literally being set up as an everyday James Bond, ready to save the day. The Loving Wives part of this is the feint and conceit used to put him in a position where he can become this, at least that's how I read it.

And it's masterfully done, frankly. As a self contained story, it's quite brilliant with it's self contained - and somewhat believable, once you get past the time loop idea in the first place - justifications.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
WOW

Just W O Fucking W.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I would have missed it

if you posted in SyFi rare that I look in that section. Not enough time...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
where to post?

No matter how you categorize the next chapters, I won't have any problem finding them. I always browse the 'new' category. EVERYTHING shows up there, irrespective of the content category.

What I also do is to bookmark a story, and then check the author's submissions every once in a while.

The category is really only useful with the first of a multiple chapter story to give people a rough idea of the content, so that they can read or ignore as they are so inclined. Admittedly this doesn't work with the LW category anyway because there are 2-3 quite distinct sub-categories and the fans of one tend to piss off the fans of the other. Difficult to please everyone, whatever you choose.

Keep it in LW if that aspect of the plot still has weight for what happens next. As of now the 'problem' seems to be solved, but, who knows?

It doesn't help much at this stage to change category because you may only draw in an SF fan most of the way through an already long story. Won't do that person much good.

gordo12gordo12about 7 years ago
Hmmm intriguing ending

Hollywood would eat the idea up! 5*

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 7 years ago
Oh! I see!

Or do I?

I didn't see that possibility!

Now I am really intrigued even more!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
This story has taken on iconoclastic qualities in many reader's minds....

...including mine.

It stretches well beyond the mundane, the "Groundhog Day" scheme, though was likely to have been seminally borrowed from there.

Time loop stories seem to be in vogue this winter into spring transition. That suggests to me that a surprising number of writers got 'inspired' about similar topics at a similar timeframe. Hmm. I'm not a 'cosmic forces' thinker, but I've seen this before in my own area of effort, in a surprising number of unrelated areas of pursuit, and with a surprising frequency through history and crossing cultural and political boundaries. Hmm. Something's been going on here....for a very, very long time.

I don't know what and can't clearly explain what I perceive, but it's there....just beyond my grasp.

Maybe I'll contribute a story about that.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. I sincerely hope it does not end as the first installment did, since that was within the loop. The mushroom cloud caught me by surprise.... and that has only happened a very few times in my life.

Besides, I like this character. I share a shocking number of his attitudes and attributes.....And I relate to the guy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Pudding waits on no man

Five stars for the best quote of this chapter.

Obo1Obo1about 7 years ago
Really incredible

I'll admit that while Sam has moved on from Julie and that sector of the problems in his life I'm still lagging behind a bit. I guess I just wanted more meat to chew on there. I really wanted a scene where he convinces her he's in the loop and THEN confronts her.

The mushroom cloud is jnteresting. Maybe he really is in purgatory and there is no "real life" waiting for him on the other side of the loop. Maybe everyone who was in the vicinity is trapped in their own loops. I look forward to finding out.

Obo1Obo1about 7 years ago
lol

Some of the comments kill me. Check out the comment left by twentyseven.

"A pleasant fantasy has become a logical impossibility."

Solid gold right there.

frazodfrazodabout 7 years ago
Jezzaz, Brilliant

I don't know if you are correct, but that is great thinking. I hadn't considered that aspect of the story, and it does make sense.

I am enthralled with this story. It is very well written (at least I think so), and I can't wait for the next installment.

I did make Kublicon a favorite author, so I would think the "*my" thing Literotica started would point out any new stories no matter what the category.

FD45FD45about 7 years ago
Blink blink

I hope to God you are a professional writer slumming, otherwise, my ego is going to take a beating.

This is, IMHO, an engaging, entertaining and enthralling story (any more 'e' adjectives I can use?)

While I did not like the first chapter, in this one, you have very much redeemed yourself from your rather crude beginnings. I guess you were looking for a hook.

If you want advice, let me tell you that from experience (not mine...I am not stupid enough to try sending things through multiple categories), that your views will drop like a rock as people don't follow the move. Ask qhml1 about his experience with 'Gonna Sell that Bitch's Car'. His views sank like a stone by shifting from LW to Romance.

If you want to garner more readers...who are we kidding? If you want to get more ACCOLADES and salivating fans (we put up with the jerks to get to the fans), I would suggest posting this story TWICE, once continuing in LW AND also (with a message to Lauren) putting it AGAIN in Sci Fi if they will allow it. Same story, different categories. Perhaps you should change the title a little bit to avoid confusing the editors who will (here I have experience) putting your story as a separate story AND half the story in a 'chapter' story.

So rename it and resubmit it in both categories with a message in front of the second submission.

I have never seen this done, but why not give it a whirl?

ohioohioabout 7 years ago
Absolutely masterful

In every way one of the most original, striking, funny, well-written stories ever posted in LW. It's fascinating, and rewards patient, careful reading. I'm of course desperately eager to get to the end, but I'm going to enjoy the journey as well. I hope this is only the first of many contributions you'll make for our reading pleasure.

And as for "wasteband"--I just assumed it was a veiled tribute to T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land".....

Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
What a cliffhanger!

I was already invested in this story so much, and then I read this chapter. Fantastic! I can't wait for the rest of it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Whoa!

Outstanding. 5 freak-en gold stars.

Only one negative observation: thought he ate a bullet from a neighbors gun in one of the early chapters, so he should have know he could die.

kubliconkubliconabout 7 years agoAuthor
From the author

The story will stay in LW. That's the way I was leaning anyway. I was more interested if anyone could make a compelling argument to switch. The consensus seems to be that it's a bad idea.

I am very thankful for the kind words from authors and critics that I have great respect for. I'm in my thirties and this story is the first I've written since high school. I'd always thought "I could do that," but it has been much harder than I'd thought. I didn't do myself any favors by posting as I was writing it. I'll probably write the next one in full before posting.

Also, I read the comments and some of your suggestions have been incorporated into the story, so thanks for the feedback.

kubliconkubliconabout 7 years agoAuthor
P.S.

HarryinVA criticized my story... I have officially arrived.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Excellent

I was enjoying the story, but this part gives it a new set of possibilities. Well written, and well paced. You are going this well.

So we have a Nuc. does it admit a gravity wave changing time? Is he just a figment of thought rather than matter? Is he...? Yup, this is fun. You have us going. Cannot wait to see how YOU decide to resolve this.

Thank You for a very entertaining story. *****

SkyKing7SkyKing7about 7 years ago
12:01

I loved Groundhog Day. That movie had a somewhat spiritual premise in that only his personal growth could end the loop. There is a slightly older time loop story, 12:01, that has a scientific cause for the loop that must be addressed by the hero to save the world. I think Kublcon's story has the best elements of both. Congratulations on a killer plot and brilliant execution!

SK7

luedonluedonabout 7 years ago
Where to post a story -- Categories

I am somewhat intrigued by the discussion of where Kublicon should have posted this story. Apparently, if he had posted elsewhere, several readers would have missed a story they have said was exceptionally good.

The most sensible comment on the topic was an anonymous one: "I always browse the 'new' category." As that commenter said, you can see all that day's new stories and choose those which you might find worth reading, regardless of category.

Those of the Loving Wives commentariat who read only LW classified stories miss a lot of good ones, even good ones that are about their favoured topic of adulterous wives. Many authors are posting wandering wife stories in Mature, Erotic Couplings, Inter Racial, and so on. (Maybe they are trying to avoid the narky LW comments?)

Time to broaden your view?

Lue

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 7 years ago
@ kublicon ...NOT SO FAST cc when you have "arrived" in Loving Wives

Actually you're only a bonafide LW writer when HIV terms your story " pathetic " or " total failure" ... questions your manhood , urges you to commit suicide or wishes violent death and the story still gets a hot rating .

green117green117about 7 years ago
Interesting evolution...

Anyway, first quibbling first - ya gotta look at a movie of a nuclear explosion before you take this story into another forum. I mean, a "mushroom cloud" is an atmospheric effect of the massive energy release of the explosion - it takes minutes to hours to fully develop. If you see the flash, you at most would see a "fireball". Further, I would not think a spacetime manifestation of the explosion would travel slower than the speed of light - with thought, I think I could prove that. Causality and such. So, no flash to be seen.

By the way, nuclear explosions to time travel has been done before: Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein might be useful to read - it has the loving wife, racism, heroic men marching forward back into the past... just what the audience wants.

Except for me. I still think you wrote off the female antagonist a bit early - keeping her in play would create dramatic tension that would keep your audience yelling at their monitors. Saving the world is now an issue, which I kinda like. Is the mechanism for getting out of the loop as simple as getting far enough away from the explosion? Interesting causal problems here - is the protagonist too "stuck" in the loop, in his development, that the loop become necessary for his definition? Your foreshadowing of the importance of the Sung character (and his daughter) leads to interesting speculation. Maybe his purpose is to save Sung?

Anyway - looking forward to the next several chapters. I'd be interested in learning what you have changed in the story - might make me shut up until a story is finished. Meddling is not always good.

Green-something

green117green117about 7 years ago
and on reading my comment about the fifth time...

I gotta say that the confrontation with the wife was a bit one sided... she didn't actually say anything of import. Perhaps an opportunity for her to say enough to indicate some kind of growth might be of interest?

If the solution to the loop is to do something about the explosion, then if other people are in loops, do they get terminated before they even start the loop? Is only the protagonist allowed to save the experience from the loop?

Time travel - the only logical result of a time travel story is a change in history such that time travel becomes impossible (which also has been written before).

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Started out good, different than the rest, but seriously dragging now. Not reading another 2 chapters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Still waiting to rate the entire story. Chapters 1 & 2 are 5's. Chapter 3 is a 3, at best. Chapter 4 is a 4.

I have accepted that the psychological and emotional components of the failed marriage simply aren't that important to this author. If his wife was really that selfish and cold and shallow and disrespectful, how could he ever come to love someone so odious and disgusting? This has been the core of her character since before they were married, but he was unable to discern her true nature after all this time and daily intimacy? But after catching her fucking another man, oh, now he can see what a piece of shit she is. Really, if he is that dense then he deserves a woman who's only attribute is her great body and good fucking. Hell, his wife has had almost as much practice with different men as Gloria the escort.

But I think the author has painted himself into a conundrum. Everything Sam has learned and accumulated occurred AFTER the first mushroom cloud event. And the repeating of the mushroom cloud gives Sam days into years to learn and grow and accumulate. So if Sam then acts so that the FIRST mushroom cloud event never takes place, then Sam will never have entered into the time loop, and everything he has accumulated will vanish. And Sam will continue on being the same clueless poltroon, married to the same loving mentally crippled selfish whore. I don't see how Sam can prevent the mushroom cloud event without also eliminating the effects of the repeating mushroom cloud. If it never happened the first time, then Sam never entered the loop.

So I regret the author is using the failed marriage as an essentially irrelevant side plot. The author even admits as much when he points out that Sam has not seen his wife in over a year of loop days, and has not missed her. So what has his marriage got to do with anything at this point in the story? It turns out he had already become a good fuck before he learned his wife was cheating on him. The whole drama about being sexually inadequate appears to have dissipated. This is not longer a loving wife story, just a non-erotic story.

Still, its been kind of interesting to see how the author would play it. Thanks for that.

Moloch_The_MysticMoloch_The_Mysticabout 7 years ago
Enjoying the ride

I didn't see the mushroom cloud coming. I was interested to see what would be the mechanism for breaking him out of the loop. He's improved himself and even realized he doesn't need his wife anymore and now he gets to save New York.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
4*s

Exceptional story. This is too well written for a newbie. So what do you usually write kublicon??

Ha, I understand why you are writing this here. Mumms the word, shhh I'll keep you secret,lol.

No disappointment with all you wrote. I am dismayed by the mushroom cloud ending, because this can lead to a completely different story. Oh well, keep writing and I'll keep reading😐. Are you bringing the Andie McDowell character on board soon ❓

By the way gave you 4*s.

Thank you very much.

AMerryman

patilliepatillieabout 7 years ago
Green

the light and electromagnetic pulse of a nuclear explosion travel at the speed of light, the blast wave (heat and pressure change) travel at subsonic speed, so you can indeed see the flash before feeling the effects-more time between the two given more distance from ground zero.

Brilliant story, bring it home Kublicon!

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
It is disappointing how many readers fail

to grasp the essential plot device of Ground Hog Day, as well as this enjoyable tale. If he stops the loop, he will not forget all he has learned. He will not carry any different physical appearances or items (like money) into Saturday. He will only carry whatever he gained or accomplished on the last Friday he experienced before the loop ends. Thus, he could go to work and move funds around and become very wealthy and keep the wealth, only if he does it on the Friday that ends the loop. Every repeated Friday before that was simply a learning experience for our hero. This is good!

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 7 years ago
Well, that was unexpected!

And it opens so many paths to be explored.

Is he destined to stop that bomb from going off?

Stay tuned, folks!

javmor79javmor79about 7 years ago
Awesome story

I'm late to the party. I just read all 4 chapters back to back. Excellent story. With everyone struggling to find a new twist to and old tale (cheating wife) this author brings an original idea (well, kinda) to this genre. Very few authors pull off incorporating supernatural elements with infidelity. Only one that pops up in my head that did it with this much success is Stangstar. He had the story with Crissy the haunted car, and the story where the guy gets a visit from his daughter in the future.

So glad I checked in on this series before it disappeared from the new list. I eagerly await the next chapter.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re: The Time Loop

Since the time loop restarts at the end of the day, AFTER he has learned what he has learned, then if he gets to Ground Zero and stops the nuke, he still knows what he knows.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Re: Category

If you like a multi-part story, clicking on the Author will bring up all of his stories regardless of category.

luedonluedonabout 7 years ago
Precisely, SBrooks

However, it seems to me that many LW aficionados go each day to the list of LW stories and look no further. They don't know what they're missing.

Lue

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchabout 7 years ago
Wow, this story is Awesome AF

Creative, observant, insightful, funny. Get Some Kublicon

FD45FD45about 7 years ago
Science or Supernatural

This is the only way to justify the plot. Why does he have immunity? Who knows? Who cares? He does and it doesn't require an explanation.

I disagree with HDK. He'll have his knowledge and money. As he said: he starts his day 'pre programming' his trades so IF he can stop this 'event', he will be fabulously wealthy and much wiser. IF he remembers to set up his trades.

Even if he doesn't, he has gained some wisdom, some insight, has a better feel for the market and better insight into his wife. One wonders if the 'end of the world' is enough to give him perspective to overlook and forgive his wife. In the vast scheme of things like the end of the world, a loving wife who treats him well and demonstrably thinks the world of him (except where it comes to fidelity) is pretty small potatoes compared to the end of EVERYTHING.

But like NYC, I think the marriage is toast.

I see it taking two weeks to narrow down the place where the event is happening.

Wild ride so far.

And I am not sure that Harry has liked any of my stuff, so welcome to the club.

green117green117about 7 years ago
@patillie

No, no, no...

The question was does the loop effect travel slower than the speed of light? Very unlikely - you are dicking with causality, and so it seems unlikely that you could "travel faster" than the establishment of the loop. The classic "which came first" confusion of relativity and traveling inertial frames seems to preclude slow termination of the causal/interaction/spacetime chains/reestablishing new ones.

If the loop happens at the speed of light, you never see the flash because you are back into yesterday as soon as (or possibly before) the light gets to you... since the atmosphere actually does slow down real light a bit.

Not really a problem with the story (a nuclear time travel device is a bit of a McGuffin), but jarring to the few folks who have opinions about this kind of thing... the mushroom cloud being seen would have the establishment of the loop happening at what would be a slow walk, for the kind of physics that would be involved.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

I like this but the mechanics of your explosion seem all wrong. There's a flash, a blast wave, THEN a mushroom cloud. And, caught in the 'death zone', the flash will literally blind you so even if you weren't obliterated by the blast wave you wouldn't be able to see the slow-forming mushroom cloud. Just a nit pick that maybe you considered but went for dramatic impact instead of fretting over it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Excellent!

Your writing style reminds me of "The Call of Blood", by Cloacas, on this site. And that is very high praise!

KRD19254KRD19254about 7 years ago

Think ya'all (commenters) are missing possibilities here.

He is living "his" Groundhog day in his perception of time/life/reality - but could everyone also be reliving their own Groundhog day at the same time but based on their own reality/perceptions?

Is the mushroom cloud at 4:58:26 the end of all life - but does death become a groundhog day for all - the 5oz of life energy that disappears the instant of human death is real? Mind boggling isn't it. Now add to this what religion plays at this moment - or does it?

This could be viewed as string-theory-extensio or the movie "Interstellar".

Looking forward to 5 & 6.... interesting how this spins.... 6* for original method

jezzazjezzazabout 7 years ago
"Think ya'all (commenters) are missing possibilities here."

Er, no?

His wife, the other guy, they are obviously NOT living their day over with the knowledge of what happened on the previous loop. No one else he's come into contact with is doing so, obviously.

If you mean "What if they are doing it in their reality, which is separate from this one", well, ok, but so what? What if they are? They aren't influencing *this* guys reality, and since the story is set in that one... what difference does it make if they are or not?

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
FD45

You agreed with me! Knowledge remains with the hero. Anything material has to be gained on the last Friday of the loop. If he sets his money making plan in motion on the last Friday, he will be wealthy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
WTF?

More.................Nuclear Explosion, that type of mushroom cloud?

CrkcpprCrkcpprabout 7 years ago
After a 3 chapter binge .....

I think I see something that no one else has mentioned . This is supposedly based on Groundhog Day , and I certainly do see the influence , but I was also a fan of ( saw every episode ) of the series Lost .

Anyone else who enjoyed that series can also see those influences on this storyline , or at least I do . Right down to the nuclear blast . Now I'm going to have to go try to find some clips , its been a few years.

Thank you author for this strangely enjoyable ride .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
GAH!

You have made me an addict. I am checking back every day just to see if the next chapter has been posted yet. This is a fantastic story, and I thank you for posting it for all to read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
☆☆☆☆☆

Great story.

Interesting how many dumb shits fail to grasp the basic premise.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Awesome

Loved it all, except the Haddaway song.

PencarrowPencarrowabout 7 years ago
BUT WHAT SORT OF MUSHROOM CLOUD?

Shiitake or Chanterelles, Portobello or Cremini?

I can see that Kublicon is drawing a very strong parallel here between Sam’s life as a mushroom (as in kept in the dark and fed shit from his wife) and the end of mankind as we know it under a cloud of mushrooms. Jesus, this story gets better and better (and yes, I have had a wine or two).

Seriously though, one of the most original stories I’ve read in Literotica and I’m loving it all over again after a second reading of all the chapters. Five stars easily.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Really enjoying the story

I am really enjoying this story and anxiously await the next chapter. Thank you for sharing your imagination with us and taking time to write all this down for our enjoyment.

bworth1943bworth1943about 7 years ago
fantasy guy

getting better every chapter. Hard to wait for the next.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 7 years ago
Excellent

Better and better every chapter. In the movie this is based on there was a significant event which triggered the new day. Love. The fanatics figured that in the movie it took about thirty years to achieve this. So how long will this play out? And what will trigger the new day? We'll see...

FIVE Stars

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 7 years ago
Well ...

I think this is a FINE ending ... BUT I also see him now figuring out that he can probably break the loop by flying to Barbados after he has (re-)made his millions. I would charter a small jet to leave about 9 PM. This is assuming that 'getting outta Dodge' will break the time-loop! But ... he won't be able to work his way up to the best escape process, except for the parts where he stays in NY/NJ and gets the details straight. Once the loop is broken, he would have to re-learn how to live normally again!

Question is: who, if anybody, to take. Sweetie would kiss his ass for the rest of their lives when she is told what happened. So would his Cunt Consultant. Maybe both?

Fives across the board! And, I loved the movie!

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchalmost 6 years ago
Rereading. HIgh Quality stuff

Like this

Julie had betrayed me so thoroughly that I knew I could never live with myself if I stayed with her. Even if I could forgive her. I would have to bury my self-respect. I had loved Julie most of my adult life. I would have taken a bullet for her, but I wouldn't take one from her.

From. Her. Great analysis.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
assnomeous!

sounds now a little [lathe of heaven]. LOVE slap hapy papy #9

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 4 years ago

"I took it with a grain of salt." - I don't know why he took Gloria's praise for his love-making skills with a grain of salt. She certainly seemed sincere.

"IT WAS NEVER AN EXCUSE!" - Even IF you could accept it as an excuse, why continue when the "excuse" wasn't there any more?

"I'll change. I'll never do it again." - The fact that she kept doing it when the "excuse" was gone, proves that she's addicted to it, enjoys it to much, to ever trust her again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
OK! Let's Go!

"

I had loved Julie most of my adult life. I would have taken a bullet for her, but I wouldn't take one from her.

"

I finally figured out what I like about this character. He's a genuinely good person. He said he wouldn't cheat at work because of his wife, but I wonder about that. If he had more 'normal moral' wife, I think he still wouldn't cheat at work.

"

The second, and much more important reason that I never hurt Julie, was that I simply didn't want to be that guy. My father liked to paraphrase a quote by playwright Sigmund Miller- "True character is what you do when no one is watching."

I shouldn't let my base nature override my morals just because I could do anything without consequence. I needed to reign myself in especially because I could get away with it. I don't know if karma is a real thing, but I do believe that some things...stain a man.

"

Boom! There we have it.

My stomach is still roiling, but he's making good strides and oh thank God he's the person I suspected.

I truly wonder how I would measure up?

Oh. OH! At first I was pissed, like, so this is to keep him from dying... but then my duh wore off and I realized, he was supposed to Save the City!

Wow. OK! Let's Go!

MarkT63MarkT63about 4 years ago
Getting interesting!!!

Mushroom cloud moves the story from LW to possible Sci-Fi... Now I'm really curious!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
IT WOULD BE NICE..........

To read about Sam having the hot hooker meet him at the house and fuck her in the guest room while his slut wife is getting hers. Then kicking the dr.s ass again. Matter of fact. I would think that without consequences he would kill him in various ways a couple of times.but certainly spend weeks beating him to within an inch of his life daily.

garyr19680garyr19680over 3 years ago

Now that's not what I expected, until he talked about it not happening in Trenton. But yeah, great idea.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous