Pledges Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes."

Lina thought for a moment. "And you're a biology major, correct?"

"Yep. Makes me a nerd, right?"

"Not at all," Lina said. "But what do you want to do with your degree?"

"I'm really thinking about teaching. I think that more African-American girls need to study subjects like biology. See, I had such great black female math and science teachers at my high school that they inspired me to study the field and maybe become a teacher myself."

Lina nodded. "Good for you. But too bad you're not my professor. And too bad you're not a chemistry major. You know I've been sitting here for hours trying to get a handle on balancing these equations?"

Nadia motioned for Lina's notebook. When Lina handed it to her, Nadia quickly opened it and skimmed though the notes. "You know," Nadia said, "I'm good at chemistry too. And I'm actually pretty good at balancing chemical equations. In fact, I had this in high school."

"Thanks!" Lina chuckled. "That makes me feel so much better!"

"No, no," Nadia said, embarrassed. "I just mean that I've seen this before. I can help you. But..."

"But?"

Nadia grinned. "But first answer me this." She closed the notebook and looked around. After noticing that no one was around, Nadia leaned in close. "What's the pledging process really like?"

Lina threw her head back and laughed. "I knew there was a catch! Unfortunately, I can't give you that info yet."

Nadia poked out her lip. "I figured that. It's just that I have no idea what it's like. And I've been hearing some horror stories. I guess I'm just a little scared," she frowned.

Lina recognized her look. It was the same look she had as a freshman.

She tried to ease Nadia's fears. "First of all, it'll take up quite a bit of your time. So you have to have good organizational skills. Also, do you have a...a...significant other? You have to know that you won't get to spend much time together."

Nadia shook her head. "No. No girlfriend."

Lina smiled at how upfront Nadia was with her sexuality. "Well, girlfriends can be trouble anyway."

Nadia frowned. "Really? Now, I thought that Rho Sigma Tau was..."

"We are," Lina said quickly. "We do have our 'girl fun.'" Sierra's face suddenly flashed in Lina's mind. "But I'm talking about relationships. Relationships can be more trouble than they're worth."

"How so?"

Fuck, Lina thought. "I mean. For example. What do you do when you really like someone, but you know that your time together is limited? I mean, say the two of you are going in opposite directions? What are you supposed to do? Just give up all your dreams? Give up everything you've ever wanted for this one person?" Lina shook her head. "I mean, some things just aren't meant to be."

Nadia shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe, maybe not. But if it were me? I'd enjoy every moment we had together. For as long as we could. Especially if the girl was hot!"

Lina sighed as she remembered the last night she and Sierra spent together. In her mind's eye, she pictured Sierra's rich, brown nude body in the moonlight.

Then Lina scoffed as she remembered seeing Sierra coming out of Miko's room. She clenched her fists at the memory of how intimate they looked together. "That sounds good, but some folks just weren't made for relationships."

Nadia shrugged. "All I know is...love can be worth it. Love can definitely be worth it."

Lina sat there for a moment as she thought of Sierra over the years. The sexy, brown minx had never been at a loss for bed partners.

Lina shook her head again. "What if the girl in question just doesn't want anything long term? What if she's just a fling?" She quickly grabbed her ink pen as scalding hot tears threatened to well up in her eyes. "Anyway, come on. Let's get to work on these equations."

"Fair enough," Nadia said as she reached for Lina's notebook again. She opened it up and flipped through the pages until she settled on a good starting point. "Alright. Let's get you an A in biology, huh?"

~~~

Jade lay back on her bed, with Mya and Brianna sitting in chairs on either side of her. Jade smiled as she intently watched her TV, viewing the infamous video for the umpteenth time.

Luci's mini videotape had been placed back in the camera and the camera was hooked up to Jade's TV. Mya and Brianna sat quietly, neither one looking at the screen. In fact, Mya grit her teeth at the gleeful grin on Jade's face.

Then the girls heard a shout from the lower level of the Mu Lambda Sorority House. "Hey Jade! Someone's here to see you!"

A moment later, there was a soft knock at the door and Luci walked in. "Hey guys."

Jade pressed the pause button on the remote and glared at Luci. "Why are you here?"

Luci lowered her gaze. "I'm...I'm here to get my check."

Jade went to her desk, took out a small white envelope and tossed it at Luci. "Here you go. That's your second and final payment."

Luci glanced in the envelope and her eyes widened at the amount of zeroes. Then she slid it into her back pocket. She opened her mouth to say thanks, but quickly shut it as she realized no one was even paying attention to her anymore. Luci stared at the floor and stood near the side of the room as Jade continued watching the tape.

After a few more moments, Jade chucked as she grabbed the remote and ejected the small tape from the camera. She went to her bedroom closet and knelt on the floor in front of a sturdy, steel box pushed against the wall. She punched in the five-digit code to her electronic safe, then yanked on the handle, but it refused to open. She pulled and tugged, but the door wouldn't open.

"Don't you want to put that tape in a safe deposit box?" Brianna asked.

"No. I'm going to keep it here in my room," Jade answered. "I always wanna be able to put my hands on it." She turned to Brianna. "Just in case, you know?"

She tried the door again, but it still wouldn't open. Irritated, she raised up from the floor. "I'll just keep it in the safe in the basement until I can find a repairman to get this one fixed."

Luci cleared her throat. "I...I can do an Internet search to find someone who could help?"

Jade spun around. "Luci? Listen. You got your payment. So why are you still here? Our business is finished."

"Finished?" Luci looked around. "Well, I thought that maybe I could hang out for a while..."

Mya dropped her head when she saw the incredulous look on Jade's face. "Uh oh," Mya whispered.

Jade got right up in Luci's face, shrieking at her. "First of all, you're not a member of this sorority! And you never will be! You're a traitor! How can I possibly trust you? So what makes you think we can 'just hang out?'" Jade mocked.

Luci's mouth dropped open and tears formed at the corners of her eyes.

Jade walked to her door and held it open. "Get out. And I never want to speak to you again! Never!"

Luci looked at Mya and Brianna, her eyes pleading. Neither of them said a word.

"Fine!" Luci screamed as she bolted out of the room, tears streaming down her face.

As Jade and Brianna headed toward the basement, Mya sat there fuming at her Sorority sister. "Jade's one step away from fucking up everything for the entire Sorority," she whispered. "I can't let that happen. No...I won't let that happen."

~~~

"Welcome, ladies. Your room is ready. Please follow me."

The well-dressed maitre d' led Lina to the private room in the rear of the Crystal Rose restaurant. Following closely behind her were the four potential Rho Sigma Tau pledges, Nadia, Kara, Mickie and Roxie. Bringing up the rear were Sierra and Tamryn.

It was a long-standing tradition for the Sorority Chapter President, Vice President and Dean of Pledges to have a formal dinner with the potentials just before their pledge process started. As it was, the Sisters couldn't confirm one way or another whether the potentials would make it on line, or eventually make it though the process, but the dinner would serve to put the pledge's fears at ease. Or at least for that night night.

As the ladies walked into the spacious private dining room, they saw a massive buffet table in the middle of the room. Countless well-polished and gleaming stainless steel serving containers held all types of meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and other side dishes. A separate dessert table sat just off to the side, filled with the most delectable cakes, pies and tarts the potentials had ever seen.

Two members of the restaurant's wait staff stood next to the buffet table, one on either side, attentively waiting further instructions.

Once the ladies had been seated at the antique round dinner table, Lina called the group to attention.

"Alright ladies. Welcome to the Rho Sigma Tau pre-pledge dinner. Though everything looks really formal, please just relax. This is just an opportunity for us to get to know you a little better. It's also an opportunity for you to get to know each other.

Lina paused. "Now, our National Office is still reviewing your paperwork, but we just wanted a little quiet time with you before things get too hectic."

She pointed to the buffet table. "So, as you can see, we have a lavish buffet set up for you, so help yourself to anything you like. Also, the waiters are here to get your drinks. Order whatever you want and they'll bring it right to you. So enjoy!"

The potentials looked at each other, then got up and helped themselves to the food and drink. Lina, Sierra and Tamryn let them serve themselves, then went up and got their plates.

As everyone sat to eat, the tension at the table turned out to be somewhat thick. The pledges were nervous, Tamryn was bored, as usual, and Lina and Sierra barely spoke.

Finally Lina broke the ice. "Ok ladies. How about each of you introduce yourself? Tell us about your life here in college, like your major and your career plans. Also tell us a bit about your families, if you like."

Grateful she didn't have to contribute for now, Sierra perked up as she looked at the girls. "Yes, please. Tell us about yourselves."

Tamryn yawned. "Sure. But hurry it up, please. I do have things to do later tonight."

Lina cut her eyes at Tamryn, but remained silent.

The potentials looked at each other.

"Well, I'll start," Roxie said, raw excitement all over her face. "As you know, I'm Roxie. Well, Roxanne, but everyone calls me Roxie. Anyway, I'm a freshman. And a journalism major. And I just love Rho Sigma Tau! I've wanted to be a member ever since high school. And I know it's going to be hard, but I really hope I get in. I have sooo much to offer you guys. Like loyalty. And I'm dedicated. And I have great dreams and aspirations and I just know that I can be a benefit to everything you guys do. I love everything you do on campus. And I've heard about all the charity work you do. And I'm all for charity. And I think you'll find that I'm a hard worker. And I'm --"

Mickie cleared her throat.

Roxie looked around at the glazed expressions at the table. "Oh. Ok. Anyway, my mom stays at home. And my dad's a photographer." She turned to Mickie. "Ok. You go."

Mickie looked around. Then she looked down at the table. "I'm Mickie and I'm a freshman too, but I'm still undecided as to my major. And as for my family? Ummm..." she trailed off. "Well, my dad? He's a...he's a locksmith. And that's it." She looked at Kara. "Your turn."

Kara shot a curious glance at Mickie for her brief introduction. Then she plowed ahead. "Well, I'm Kara. I'm a sophomore and I'm majoring in mechanical engineering. But I also like computers. I like them a lot. In fact, I may do a minor in computer science. Now, my parents own a security company here in Virginia Beach."

Then she turned to Mickie. "Your dad's a locksmith, huh? My parents own their own security company. What a coincidence! We have to get together and compare notes sometime."

Mickie shrugged her shoulders. "Sure."

Kara squinted at how reserved Mickie was, then she continued. "Also, I have one brother, Jacob, and he lives in California. And that's my family. Ok, your turn, Nadia."

Nadia cleared her throat. "Well, that means I'm Nadia," she smiled. "I'm a biology major, as some of you know," she said as she winked at Lina, "and I'm a freshman. My dad's retired from the Air Force, but my mom's a building inspector for the City of Richmond. And that's about it," she laughed.

As Tamryn yawned again, Sierra looked at Lina, then at Nadia, then at Lina again. "Just how close have y'all become?" she whispered to Lina.

Lina caught Sierra's words, but decided to ignore them. Then Lina smiled. "Good. Good. Well, I think that you are some lovely ladies. I think you may very well be great additions to our illustrious sorority."

Tamryn sniffed. "Well, that remains to be seen."

Sierra swiftly jerked her foot underneath the table where it connected sharply with Tamryn's ankle.

"Ouch! Damn, Sierra," Tamryn said as she rubbed the sore spot. "I was just kidding."

Anyway," Lina said as she glared at both Sierra and Tamryn. "I'm glad that you ladies are interested in Rho Sigma Tau. Now, let's relax and get better acquainted, shall we?"

~~~

The next afternoon, Sierra lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling. She hadn't gotten much rest since the dinner the night before.

"I can't believe that Lina all but ignored me last night!" she said. "That's so unlike her." Then Sierra sat straight up. "And what's going on with her and that pledge, Nadia? Have they -- "

Then she thought for a moment. "Of course they haven't. Sleeping with an actual pledge is bad enough, but no Sister would dare sleep with a pre-pledge. Especially not Lina."

She lay back on the bed and tried to relax, but a raw tension began to seep into her body. She closed her eyes, desperate to get some sleep.

All of a sudden, her phone rang, disturbing her attempts to rest. She jumped out of bed and ran to pick it up. "Hello?"

"Hi Sierra?"

"Yes?"

"Hi. This is Natalie. Natalie Sherwood from the National Membership Committee."

"Hi Natalie. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Just wanted to give you a heads up. We've looked everything over, and we're approving all four girls. Their names are..." she paused for a second, "Nadia Coleman, Roxanne Baker, Michelle Erwin and Kara Scott. So you're all set to go."

A big smile came across Sierra's face. "Thanks Natalie. I appreciate the call."

"Good luck. And don't hesitate to call if you need anything. Take care!"

Sierra clicked off the phone and sat there for a moment as her excitement increased. She'd been a member of the sorority for four years and no matter what was going on in her life, she found that she was always ready for a new pledging season. The idea of sharing her beloved sorority with new members gave her a thrill that not much else did.

Her troubles with Lina faded for the time being as she gathered her thoughts. She shivered as the awesome responsibility for finding new members fully dawned on her. As the Chapter President, she was, in fact, responsible for the future of not just their Chapter, but the future of the entire Sorority. She told herself that she had to be steady, focused and make the right decisions. After a few minutes of reflection, she was finally ready.

"Time to get the Sisters together and get this show on the road," she grinned as she quickly gathered her pledge notes and headed down to Candace's room.

~~~

"What in the hell did I do?" Tamryn sighed as she lay out on one of the plush lounge chairs on the Sorority House's rooftop terrace.

It was a couple of days later, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and the heated rays of the early morning sunrise streaming across her body should have made her relax, but the constant tension in her neck and shoulders wouldn't let her.

"I've gotta talk to her. I just have to. Besides, I haven't been sleeping right since our argument."

Tamryn shifted in the chair. "I can't believe that I was sooo mean to her. What in the hell is wrong with me? Why do I treat people like that?"

She got up from the chair and went to the balcony. Staring at the panoramic scenery and admiring the beautiful sunrise, she realized that she wanted a new beginning to her sad and mean-spirited life.

She realized that she actually wanted to apologize to the person whose feelings she'd hurt.

And that scared her senseless.

Trying to regain control, she chuckled at her sudden rush of feelings. "So for the first time in your miserable, hateful life, you're actually going to tell someone that you're sorry? Imagine that! That's a first!"

Then she sighed. "But I wonder if she'd even talk to me now?"

Then she stood stiffly straight, arrogance surging through her. "Of course, she'd talk to me. I'm the Vice President of Rho Sigma Tau!"

She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and began to dial. "I'm gonna make this right. Right now."

After a few rings, a sleepy voice answered. "Hello?"

"Hi. I'm calling for Kara? Kara Scott?"

"This is she."

"Hi. This is Tamryn. From Rho Sigma Tau."

Silence. "Oh hi."

"Hi." Tamryn's next words came out in a rush. "About our argument in the exercise room a few weeks ago? I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. I was thinking...well, hoping, maybe we could meet somewhere and talk?"

Silence again. "What do you have in mind?"

"Damn. I hadn't thought that far ahead," Tamryn muttered. "Well...why not meet in the campus Food Court? For breakfast? I know it's early, but I really want to make things right between us."

"Well, I have class at 8am, so I'd have to make it quick," Kara replied.

"Oh." Tamryn frowned.

"But...maybe lunch? I have a break at noon?"

A wide smile spread across Tamryn's face. "Good. Noon in the Food Court. See you then."

Tamryn clicked off the phone and lay back in the chair, but it was several minutes later before she realized she was still smiling.

~~~

At the exact same time, Sierra lay in bed, but restless energy made sleep elusive. So many thoughts ran through her head. She missed her friendship with Lina, but couldn't figure out a way to make peace between them.

She got out of bed and walked to her desk. She slowly picked up the phone and dialed.

A soft voice answered. "Hello?"

Sierra paused. "Hey Lina."

"Hey."

A rush words came out. "Lina? What's wrong? Why haven't we really talked?"

Lina was silent, then she sighed. "Sierra? I have to get to class now. You know I have an early dance rehearsal today. Hell, you know that I have early dance rehearsal every day. We'll just have to talk later."

"Fine," Sierra sighed. "We'll talk later."

Unfortunately, just as Sierra was going to say goodbye, her jealousy got the best of her. "Wait!" she interjected. "Lina? Just one question."

Sierra tried her best to sound nonchalant. "Anyway, what's going on with you and that new pledge, Nadia? Are you guys hanging out or something?"

Sierra heard Lina gasp on the phone.

Then silence.

Then the phone went dead.

Sierra sighed as she hung it up. She went over to the bed and collapsed on the comforter.

Oh hell.

~~~

At just about twelve noon, Tamryn's hands shook as she sat in one of the booths in the campus Food Court. Unable to eat for the butterflies in her stomach, she settled on just a bottled water.

"What do I say?" she muttered. Then she tried to get herself together. "Just be sincere. You can be sincere, right?"

Then Tamryn saw her.

Seemingly in slow motion, Kara walked up, carrying a cafeteria tray filled with fruits and vegetables. Suddenly, all the breath went out of her as she admired Kara's beauty.

Kara's rich, caramel brown skin was simply luminous. Her long hair was shiny and thick, her curly, dark ringlets hanging freely around her shoulders. She wore a snug, royal blue tracksuit that caressed her every curve.