All Comments on 'Porn Doesn't Rape People'

by Matadore

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Larry Flint

We need more people like Larry, and yourself, people willing to ask the question "Why am I being told not to say this?" The truth is power. If Clinton could have covered up his mess, he would have. We need more information, not less. Why stop us from saying what we want, seeing what we want, doing what we want, as long as it's consensual, and doesn't harm anyone else. We need to get off our double standard puritan high horse, and push for change instead of stagnating. Those in power are immune to their own transgressions, but expect us to pay. That needs to change.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Jefferson was Right, not Madison

You misunderstood the role of Jefferson and Madison. Jefferson was in FAVOR of a Bill of Rights, and Madison was OPPOSED to it. Jefferson and the Anti-Federalists (later, the Democratic-Republicans) had to convince Madison of the importance of the Bill of Rights.

Thus, when Madison was going head to head with Jefferson, it was Jefferson who was right, and Madison who was wrong.

When Madison drafted the Virginia Plan and presented it to the Constitutional Convention, it was substantially about the technical form of the federal government. Jefferson was always less concerned about the technical form of the government and more concerned about the fact that all legitimate authority flows from people to government, rather than from government to people. In other words, Madison was interested in government power, and Jefferson was interested in individual rights.

Madison did not include a Bill of Rights in the original Constitution even though he could have, as its principal architect. It took substantial convincing by Jefferson and others before Madison accepted that it was important to include a Bill of Rights. Without Jefferson's pushing, Madison would have left the Constitution without the Bill of Rights, and we would all be much worse for it.

Eventually, Madison accepted Jefferson's argument, left the Federalist Party, and proposed the Bill of Rights. But that was not his original position. Thus, when you say that he went head-to-head with Jefferson, you implied that it was Madison who was right. Rather, it was Jefferson who was right, and Madison who changed his position to match Jefferson's.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous