All Comments on 'Postal Pleasures'

by beagle9690

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
BentonVirtusBentonVirtusabout 6 years ago
Good Draft

This has the bones of a good story, but suffers from a couple of things. Stylistically, it is kind of narrative-heavy, especially the opening. There are some logical/reasonableness problems: Foundations of the protagonist's character -- e.g., "raised to respect women" -- are not reflected in the character's actions in the story. A piece of property like the author describes would be in high demand and would fetch millions of dollars at auction, not be sold "for taxes." The later part of the story is kind of like fireworks: there are sparks all over, but they burn out quickly. A little restraint in keeping it simple would help.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Quotes

A nice story which might read less oddly if there were fewer quote marks at the end of several non-speaking sentences. (Example "Yes," he gasped, with an embarrassed, mortified look added to his pain." )

But it is a well-told story and I rather enjoyed it.

HP

googliciousgoogliciousabout 6 years ago
After a rough start

I almost stopped reading because of the initial blackmail storyline. Definitely not how to begin a romance. I'm still puzzled as to why he didn't try to woo her the normal way by beeing friendly. Even seeing the bulk mail he cpuld have inquired thst after a friendship. Blackmail would then be a last resort, with temporary effect. I felt a little better that he held off on the sex, eventually freeing her upon learning the truth. It turned better thereafter.

I see you have returned to writing after a few years. I think i will read some of your old romance stories now. I hope you write again, taking in mind what other commenters suggested to improve. Perhaps an editor or beta readers.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbeagle9690@beagle9690
Retired Law Enforcement. I dislike profanity for profanities sake.

story TAGS