All Comments on 'Purple Rain'

by DG Hear

Sort by:
  • 53 Comments
gatorhermitgatorhermitover 14 years ago
Well written romantic story

DGH can <i>write</i>. Even though this basic theme has been used before, this story still makes for a nice read. As another author says, "consequences are a bitch" and Barry sure learned about that the hard way, but he did learn it.

don87654don87654over 14 years ago
Love and Lust all over again....

Hear is an outstanding writer and definitely knows how to put it all together. I enjoy reading his stories a lot. I am proud that he is a fellow writer and does it so well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
He's Lucky

He got his second chance, after my divorce I finally found someone new and it was better, but I will never forget how I fucked up the first one, I never came close to cheating again, and never will. Thanks for a great story.

zed0zed0over 14 years ago
Watta Coupla Idjits!

I'm speaking about both of them. Marci is a fool for taking him back, because anybody still chasing after their ex all these years is not smart or healthy. Hanging out and socializing with ex and sucking up to new hubby is out and out wimpy. Barry's inability to get on with his relationships in life, (and he dumps the hot wife swapping Elaine) shows some serious mental problems, he is either very insecure or a homo, or both. And let's save the bible thumping for another web site okay? Porn sites are sacred and should not besmirched with God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, or who ever your deity du jour is. Not one of you best efforts at all, writing well gets you 100, but reconciliation with a dick head knocks 75 off, cause I really hate disturbingly bad endings.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Wonderful story.

I really felt like I got to know the characters in the story. Great character development and the story was a great read from beginning to end.

bruce22bruce22over 14 years ago
Great Story

He was stupid early on and got wiser as time went on. His kids always loved so there was always a bridge for him when the time came. Thank you DG, Bruce

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Dang It

Dang it, porn stories shouldn't bring tears to someone's eyes like yours did. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Wonderful story... I loved it!

Great piece of romantic writing. I had to laugh, though, seeing zed0's comment. Now he is trying to tell us what content is OK and what is not. What an idiot.

JakeRiversJakeRiversover 14 years ago
Nice story, DG

I enjoyed reading it. Everyone makes mistakes growing up ... some are bigger than others. A well-done story of redemption.

Thanks for participating in my invitational.

Regards, Jack

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 14 years ago
Very good story!

Some folks make big mistakes and overcome them. Makes for a real enjoyable tale.

tastesgreattastesgreatover 14 years ago
Great Read!

As usual DG, a great read. It's always nice to see people grow up and become an adult that cares about family and ties. You always have a nice little lesson buried in there somewhere for us to find. Thanks for sharing...

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
gREAT WRITER-DEPRESSING STORY

i AGREE WITH MOST READERS THAT DG hEAR IS A WONDERFUL WRITER, BUT HIS HERO IN THIS STORY IS SUCH AN IMMATURE SELFISH ASS-HOLE THAT HE SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO MARRY ANYONE.

THE cT. yANKEE

Simple49erSimple49erover 14 years ago
Young assholes

can grow up, mature, learn from their mistakes and become good men, even great men. They married too young and he was not ready for it. Divorce was the right choice: it gave him time to learn what was wrong with him and to become a man in the truest sense. The torch-the- bastard crowd - cousins to the torch-the-bitch crowd - seems to think in either/or terms. However, without professional counseling, but the benefit of time, good parents, and the example of Marci's husband he was the right man for her to marry, espcially since she still loved him. While I do not think love conquers all, I do think life teaches us lessons that love can grow from: we can learn from our mistakes and with the shared sons and family support this is a sensible and solid decision on their part. For those, who cannot see it, I suspect that you might want to think about what you would want if you were this particular character, in this particular situation and not be so quick to condemn.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 14 years ago
Another engaging tale of romance...

...but something about the name Tom Brady gave me Deja vu.Zed is wrong.He didn't "chase" after Marci,simply kept the candle burning.And he didn't "suck up" to Tom terrific.Simply acted like a man.Thanks for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
C+

A big effort and a big let down. Lacked finesse and depth and rewrites. Entirely predictable and uninteresting. Way too much repetition of characterization. I am not down on concept but Purple Rain was certainly not this simplistic in the "telling". Comparing your skill to Prince was a mistake. Keep trying!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Pretty good story, possibly wrong category.

I enjoyed this story but I think it was more of a story for the "Romance" category. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Well done

Your writing is excellent, I could understand how he fell and even empathize. My only peeve is that so many people think that a company is responsible for the morality of its employees. No one in his trucking outfit knew of his cheating. How could they be responsible? If this were true, there wouldn't be a company standing today! Another point: when you had Tom being 16 years older I knew immediately that he was slated to die before the story ended. Thanks!

don87654don87654over 14 years ago
Outstanding Story Telling!

As an author, I am proud to know about DG Hear. That person definitely knows how to write a story that is interesting, yet meaningful in lusty ways.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
A chaeter is a cheater, male or female. It is a

personality defect and doesnt just go away. Given the opportunity and motivation it will occur again and again. Yeah he can be a nice guy to her and kids but she should have enough sense to keep him at arm's length.

DrallDrallover 14 years ago
Another great one!

As I write this,I'm having to wipe my eyes. Thank you so much for a fine story,one of many you have written.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 14 years ago
To err is human

Barry wasn't very smart, but at least he redeemed himself in the end. Good story--good character development. DG, you've done it again. Good luck with the contest.

catman71catman71over 14 years ago
great again

after reading the story a thought came to mind" youth is wasted on the young" in what i mean is that barry is alot like to many young men and woman who even though the know right from wrong they are willing to take chances when they should not and in barrys case it cost him years without his true love. and he was fortunate to get a second cahnce

incestor007incestor007over 14 years ago
Great Concept to start but...

I dont think it should come to romance category,because it was not pure love between marcy and berry. Granted he was unable to get over her, but this was all because he was feeling guilty, And character representing Marcy seemed to be faked, First of all what berry did cud not be considered cheating on Marcy, it simply shows bad character of Berry but under influence of his immature age, family conditions, their martial life, for which Marcy was also responsible to some extent. Thats the reason i think he did not deserve what level of accusation he received, Not at least what Marcy confessed that she wished him to die. She should have some sense, not say this to Berry,and also she shud not have said what he said about tom, because she knew Berry already agreed that he was Wonderful guy, and even commuting this again and again might be even more painful for himself, and then Marcy's statement.

If i would be at Berry's place, granted it would be difficult to get over her, but it would have been over at the time she said those words about Berry dying and loving Tom, simply these were to put Berry down even after commitment of Berry that he was willing to wait for her till he could. That's why it is not in Romance category, but they worked it out which was best for boys. Yes they were not best match for each other but both were good parents in the end.

Your always give great stories, but characterization is one of the most important thing in any story, from my point of view. Although concept i really liked, but not what was spoken(dialogue which tells about character).

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
zed0 makes some very good points.

And although I don't completely agree with zed0, I don't disagree. It is more like "I just don't know."

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 12 years ago
Long but nice -

I too am in a bit of a quandary about the group it is in - Barry cheated - age is not an exception criteria lol, a rationalization maybe and a poor one at that.

But it smacks of both romance and loving wives - she was one twice and probably 3 times heh

Either way it stretched a bit but was still well done with lots of detail about how Barry grew up and came to terms with his failure from the outset.

phil2213phil2213almost 11 years ago
Cheaters are punished in brutal ways as this story illustrates with redemption.

The story was very well written but I didn't like it overall. I don't like cheaters and I hate the pain that ensues when cheaters are discovered. If the cheaters are good people it makes it even more unpleasant.

SigintSigintalmost 10 years ago
Elaine?

Did I miss something or did she just fall out of the woodworks? All in all it was good, if a bit pat? Rote? Mechanical? Dry.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
No this wasn't good

Okay story technically but I just don't believe he just changed his spots. You don't have to look any farther than his relationship with Elaine to know he really hasn't changed. A huge mistake for Marci to let him back into her life. He hasn't really changed. BAH.

phd70phd70almost 9 years ago
Not perfect, but overall a story worth reading, with good lessons for all readers!

Some people expect perfection in their characters (many reader's comments), but life and people are not about perfection. Author made the tale a bit long, but allowed Barry's character to develop and improve as he learned hard life lessons. Barry made immense efforts at being a regular part of his boys' life and providing them a second role model, to complement Tom's fine fathering model. BTB or BT-Husband type of stories do not always provide adequate justice! A nice tale with a satisfying ending for a fine family. Thanks, DG Hear! Dan (phd70).

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
and then he cheated on her again

Seriously, he acts worse than 90% of the grossest cheating sluts, destroys his family, financially wrecks his boss, but still gets rewarded by killing off the guy who actually treated his wife right so that he can do it all again. A cheating whore is a cheat who doesnt respect the oerson he married and not once did he make t he way he destroyed her right.

0 stars for letting an evil bastard skate and not get one ounce of BTB. You do realize that you wrote himas continuously getting laid and having to work hard but other wise completely unpunished righ t? I can only hope you dont hold the secret contempt for your wife that is reflected here. Dissapointing, i usually like your stories.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 7 years ago
Really didn't like this one

I don't respect her decision to marry a man for convenience. I didn't care for her relationship to Tom.

Barry didn't impress me with not moving on.

They should have talked about his cheating.

They got back together way too quickly without discussion from both sides.

Left a bad taste in my mind.

timrivtimrivalmost 6 years ago

Good story but it might have been a little better if she and Tom had had one or two kids together before he died and Tom when he met Barry in the hospital asked to take care of his kids like did Barry’s. Might have add a little more pathos to the story.

Harsh61Harsh61almost 6 years ago
Destiny

On of the best stories coming across after a long time. The narration, each sequence, the vocabulary and story-line is gripping and excellent. Thank you very much for giving such a nice story.

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
WHEN ONE FUCKS UP CHEATS, GETS CAUGHT AND IS SINGLE

now is the time to get the umbrella he should have had in the 1st place, TK U MLJ LV NV

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Great

Another great story from one of the best LW authors. This is the kind of story I need to read after all the BTB and cucky stories that fill the site. This story leaves good feelings, and that's a rarity.

somewhatniceguysomewhatniceguyover 5 years ago
he is

stupid; if she had had any feelings for him, she wouldn't have settled for a marriage of convenience; you don't marry someone because you care; that's like a decent way of prostitution, or two people using each other for different goals. Rather she would've gone out looking for love, love she mistakenly thought her husband didn't give, and she never asked him why he slept around. He did everything to be a good father even before the divorce and the bitch hasn't thought of any of that. Worse, his mother sided with her. Only a man who totally lacks self-respect would settle for someone like her. Man, or woman, there's a limit to atonement. You can atone for a while and then move on but not wait for 16 years; she ruined his life, and he allowed her to. And now she is going to lord it over, handling him like a maid for the rest of her life, and yes, she may even ask him to put up with her fucking around. Were the kids really his?

somewhatniceguysomewhatniceguyover 5 years ago
And another existential

question: why are women cruel and unforgiving to mostly only one man in their life, namely, the husband? They forgive colleagues, friends, bosses, brothers, and fathers, but why can't they cut some slack for the poor husband? And if she was that cruel, without realizing the time constraints they both were going through and the lack of sex because of both their jobs and threw him out at the first chance, it is very stupid of him to keep pining for her. In a real world, she would've been cheating on him, too, wanting to trade up; she had the babies and became a honest woman and with the golden opportunity of catching her husband, she can pursue her gold-digging ways. One might as well marry a counselor or an octogenarian psychiatrist, why, because they are experienced with parenting. Or she is a frigid, cold person, and thinks sex is a tool to be used to have a good life with a stable man, and that means she loves only herself, and no one else. Shit. A great writer. A great story, but one that hurts nevertheless.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I don't get it

When a guy fucks up (and everyone) in the LW category but is repentant, then all is forgiven. However if the roles were reversed and the wife does it, then its all about scorching the earth and retribution, no matter how sorry she is and hoe much she suffers. This is a pattern in most LW stories. Am I missing something?

chuckysmariachuckysmariaalmost 5 years ago
re anon 04/20/19 i don’t understand

because the dude in the story worked hard to EARN forgiveness. the problem with many RAAC is that thw cheating wife say she’s sorry but doesn’t work to earn forgiveness. as if saying sorry is enough. either the author purposefully makes the wronged husband spineless (“i can’t live or be happy without her”) or do a mumbo jumbo psycho-babble BS to downplay infidelity.

the cheating husband was divorced by the wronged wife (and rightfully so). but he also kept his distance when his ex wife remarried. when ex wife became a widow he worked to earn her affection.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A long journey only end up at the same place as before.

NitpicNitpicover 2 years ago
Disagree

Disagree with the ending.If she had always loved him,she would have tried to keep the marriage together.Her intial actions said it all ,so to say she always loved him doesn't ring true.Plus the fact his sister Jane is an interfering busybody.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

WHAT A WEAK PATHETIC LOSER MALE

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

NOTHING WORSE THAN A MEDDLESOME BITCH SISTER/MOTHER, IN THIS CASE JANE

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

A mix-match of near-impossibilities, interference and mentally fucked-up weak characters.

When brain was distributed, Barry was in the bathroom. When smarts were later past around, Barry had still not come out of the bathroom. So he was a very light weight above the shoulders. But as any asshole does, over the years/decades, experience hit him accidentally. It is very surprising that his pea-size brain was able to sort things out eventually.

Marci was also light on morals and principles. But because she is said to be a beautiful woman, the reader is more inclined to forgive her moment if weakness because she has to take care of twins. But she was never forced into sex. So she has her own share of responsibility as well.

No more than 3* because of the high number of downsides.

BJ

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Most of these commentators are so f**ked up. The author has written a realistic and believable story with typical reactions from all of the characters. The cheated wife was shocked at the blatant disrespect and amount of cheating her pig of a husband engaged in. To keep her own self respect and dignity she had to divorce him even though she might still have some feelings for him. Could she ever trust him again...of course not, he is a cheating asshole. She is still a young woman that wants love, a stable family and intimate needs. She found that in Tom, who was a good, decent and loving man...no one should blame her for that. Barry on the other-hand realized he was a total asshole, but he loved Marci and always will. I can relate-it happened to me. But for him, thankfully, he got a second chance to prove his love and devotion and his forever fidelity. She graciously and heroically gave him that opportunity...very lucky guy. If I got the second chance 56 years ago, I would have proven my worth to the love of my life. Great emotional and real story by a talented writer. 5/5.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wow the hypocrisy is rampant on the comments for this story. Switch the genders of the main characters and then tell me those criticism are still valid. The husband cheated repeatedly. She doe not respect his wife or marriage and destroyed trust. She had to divorce him. She didn't BTB him. She still loved him. But Barey was an asshole. Yeah he got better bjt is it any wonder that it took a long time to reconcile. If it wasn't for thr family, no way. Even then she is going out of her way yo allow him back into her life. Again swap genders and tell the comments would not flip to no reconciliation and full BTB. Gah!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I do not understand some of the moronic comments. Marci did nothing wrong! Barry was the asshat. She got a divorce and the remarried. Barry sh@t all over their marriage repeatedly. They finally reconciled. It was her choice. If genders were reversed the BTB crowdwould gave cone out with torches and pitchforks. Some of the readers apparently hate, or at least deeply distrust, women. I am sorry for their painful experiences that led them to such inane vitriol.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Looking at some of the old comments where some people believe Barry didn't a really cheat on Marci and she should have forgiven right away. Wtf? Did you actually read the story.

ProfesseurXProfesseurX4 months ago

Could be a real-life story. A bit grim but a decent read, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Great story. Was just wondering if Elaine was related to Tom as they were sharing the same surname?

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

A heart-warming story of growth.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Nice story. Can't help wo during though if Marci and Barry flipped genders, how the BTB crowd would react. Suspect they would be pissed.

AnonymousAnonymous8 days ago

What woman wrote this story. Barry was 19 when he got married, had kids, cheated, got divorced and spent years pinning for Marci. They got divorced she got remarried, dont know why his character never had a relationship after that, felt like the author wanted to punish Barry.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDG Hear@DG Hear
I want to thank all the readers who read and comment on my stories. If anyone would have told me 8 yrs ago (now it's 16 yrs ago) I would be writing stories (on an adult web site) I would have laughed at them. Thank you so much for the feedback and comments. It's what keep m...

SIMILAR Stories