Quincunx Ch. 28

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I feel bad breaking off with you like this, but I only became truly sure last night."

"Don't. I've known that you and Xen were a match for a while. I just didn't want to give up."

"It's all water under the bridge now. Life changes for us all tomorrow. For you and the rest here it's the start of your adult life, out into the real world full of responsibilities. I'm going to be convincing Xen's parents that I'm a suitable suitor for their daughter."

"That won't be hard for you," she said, a little gaiety in her voice as an unforced smile curled the corners of her mouth.

We passed through the doors as we continued conversing.

"I also need to go home and settle my affairs there, so I've got a busy few weeks ahead," I continued.

We talked on about the journey as we walked back to the dorm, Bem and Cur tailing along a few steps behind us. When we got there we separated, the girls wanting to change out of their robes while I promised a hot cup of cofftea when they got over.

Grepp was lounging in one of the chairs, a cup before him as I walked in. "Find her?" he asked as I strolled over.

"Yes, I invited them over for cofftea after they get changed," I answered, walking past him to check on the pot.

"Ah, that must be my cue to get changed," he responded, sounding like he was standing.

I glanced over my shoulder to see him crossing to his room as I got to the little kitchen. I added more fuel to the fire and topped the pot up then stood at the sink and daringly used my magic to float Grepp's cup over and rinse it.

With that done, I walked over and took a seat facing the door to wait for them. They came in together, their looks at me giving away the fact that Cur had told them.

"Welcome," I greeted them standing. "I think it's had time to brew. Grepp's changing and should be out shortly."

"This is probably another last, the last meeting of the cofftea clique," Cur commented as she sat.

"Yes," agreed Bem. "Even with half of us already gone."

"Yes, tomorrow as start our new lives, our times here will be relegated to memories of the good times," Cal put in, looking over at me.

I poured the brew and took Cal and Cur the first cups, joining them as I gave Bem hers and set mine on the table.

"So Xen's the lucky one," Bem said turning to me, breaking the developing awkward silence.

"If she'll have me. I haven't asked her yet, plus she's got an insular family to persuade," I answered. "I'm determined to overcome the odds if she agrees."

"Oh there's no question that she'll say yes. Especially if you move down to be with her," chimed in Cur.

"As I intend to. She could never settle for the rural life I formally led. I have no doubt I'll take her to visit. Besides, she has an important role to fill and I wouldn't want to deprive her of that"

"Ah," exclaimed Grepp as he walked out. "You made it."

"Are you looking forward to your new position?" asked Cur. "The change to a man of duties and responsibilities?"

"I'm more looking forward to the freedoms, setting my own schedule being the foremost," he replied as he made his way to the kitchen.

"Lucky you, I'm going to have a mentoring and teaching schedule, learning my role as I go," Cal countered.

"I'll have fixed hours too. It's being respected as a graduate and all that. Being someone who has a valid opinion on things," he explained further as he poured his drink.

"I think you need to add experience to the mix, but there's always the new man's fresh perspective," I chipped in as he walked back and took his seat.

"Well, I'm looking forward to new friends and new challenges," Bem added.

"I'm sure we're all going to thrive," Cal said. "We'll all find new friends and settle down."

"As long as you don't let life consume your dreams," Cur said. "I read that somewhere and it stuck with me."

"Who's in favour of getting a couple of bottles in before getting an early night?" asked Grepp. "One final drink to toast absent friends."

"If you want, I haven't got much packing left to do," Cal replied.

"Yes, let this be my treat as a thanks for accepting me as you did. I'll get some money and we can take a stroll after we've finished our drinks," I said, picking my cup up.

"Mm," Cal mused. "How about you and Grepp go, as it's his idea, and we can meet you after tea. Which will give us time to finish our packing," she concluded.

Grepp gave a chuckle. "Two of us should be enough."

I chuckled with him then took another sip of my drink.

"Right," Cal said leaning back and taking a sip of her drink.

I hurried my drink down, then stood. "I'll get my money, then I'm ready."

"Okay," acknowledged Grepp, before taking a sip of his drink.

I rinsed my cup, then retrieved a couple of gold coins from the banker's stash before returning to the table. Grepp stood as I approached.

"Ready," he asked rhetorically, already heading for the door.

"So what are you really doing?" he asked as we walked up the path.

"Going home to straighten out my affairs. You know they've invited me to stay on and put my powers at their disposal. Though I can think of few occasions when they might be needed, that would lead to an otherwise boring life."

"Your powers just don't make sense - no one else except grand masters have ever had them. You can control magic but not use it."

"Yes, it's like my magical side never fully developed. Its growth got stunted somehow," I agreed.

We fell silent as we walked through the gate. I walked with him as he led us to one of the lesser visited local inns. We bought six bottles, four whites, a red and a rosé. On the way home, I got to wondering when I might have occasion to revisit. Probably when Xen's work called for her to visit, I mused.

When we got home it was near tea time, so we left the wine on the table and went across to the girl's dorm.

"Anyone home," I called as we entered.

One by one the girls opened their doors.

"Time for an early tea," Grepp suggested.

"Ahh, I'm ready if the others are," Cal said, glancing to each of the others.

Cur and Bem both stepped forward with Cal joining them. Grepp and I turned and led the way out, letting the girls catch up as the path opened out. Early as we were, we weren't the first in the queue of three others.

I reflected on where I would be this time tomorrow, planning to be eating my meal in the inn, waiting to cross to Ormskirk the next morning. My day would see me traveling home and spending the day with my family.

The talk over dinner was about what food our next dinners would be in our new homes. My diet would be changing from an agrarian one to, I presumed, a seafood based one, one of the lesser changes I could expect on becoming a husband.

After we finished tea, we walked back to our dorm and opened the first bottle of wine. As we drank, they reminisced about their time here, most of it about Kenval and practical jokes that were long before my coming.

I drank enough to be merry and enjoyed the atmosphere; indeed, I half-wished I could have spent some of those carefree times with them. By the time we hit the fifth bottle, the rest of them had reached the 'happy drunk' state.

There were lots of hugs, singly and group, sprinkled with good wishes when it came time to part. The party had lasted till mid-evening, a little too early to visit Xen yet. I decided to stroll up to the market and get some fresh air and a last cup of tococaleth.

As I walked out, the night was strangely dark; the accompanying chill wind was a strong enough warning of rain to make me turn back to wait out the time in my room. As I settled on my bed, I could hear the ungentle pitter patter beginning on the roof.

I had little to pack asI had taken most of my belongings back with me on my first visit, leaving only my donkey, my clothes and sword to carry. I would only need a bag of clean clothes, enough for a day or two, giving me reason for regular visits home.

My overnight visit to Xen was more about making plans for the future than making love, though that did come at the end, easing us into a peaceful sleep. I returned home for an early breakfast and found a knot of staff, students and graduates in the entrance hall.

"What's up?" I asked as I got to the edge of the crowd.

"There're rumours of an uprising in the Far Islands, that's all we know for the moment," the student informed me.

"Ah ha, thanks" I acknowledged before walking on.

I had a filling breakfast and then strolled over to the stables to pick up my horse and donkey, tipping the stablemen a silver each. As my direction was inconsequential, I headed north, the way I journeyed in those few weeks ago.

As soon as I made open country, I created a void and rode through into our barn. Even though I hadn't ridden far, I asked the groom to give him a quick rub down before putting him out to pasture.

I found my mother in her drawing room first, getting a quick hug from her before getting dragged into the kitchen to be added the dinner list. Next, we went up to father's office and I sat them down and told them of my plans to court Xen.

They, initially at least, wanted me to stay, bring my bride here. I explained that Xen had a job to do and my magical abilities, even though I want to keep them hidden, had changed me too much to live a normal life.

After I'd convinced them I knew best for my future, I had one more duty to perform: to tell Webberli I was leaving. I strolled over to her house, and feeling a little nervous, knocked the door. Webberli answered, her smile turning to a frown as she asked, "Where've you been?"

"Getting a magical education. I'm afraid my life, and the plans we made, have all changed. I'm going away again, this time for good. I won't lie to you, there is someone else and unfortunately I love her more than I do you," I answered boldly.

"They said this would happen, I told them no, I know he loves me and will return, what am I going to say now?"

"Tell them I was unfaithful to you and you rejected me. I won't be around to refute you. I can even start a rumour going amongst the lads when I see them later, if you want."

"That's small consolation for losing you. There are few good ones left to choose from," she complained.

"Sorry, events have forced this change on me, us. I'm no longer suited to the life I expected to lead. It would be futile for me to try," I replied.

"Well, you might as well get on with it and not bother me again," she said, closing the door on me.

I turned and walked off, glad to have gotten that one last worry off my mind. I could now return to Xen with an absolutely clear conscience. The walk back to the house set me up for the light lunch of beer and sandwiches.

I spent the afternoon getting reacquainted with the farm, meeting with the workers and telling them that I was leaving and discussing with them who they thought should be trained up to replace me as farm manager.

I also took time before tea to use the privacy of my room to send an eye to find a suitable dark corner to void through to and found a decent inn to book a room in. Whilst I was doing that, I made enquiries as to the sailing times of the ferry over to Ormskirk and where to book a ticket.

The first was at seven 'o' clock and was usually empty enough to buy a ticket on board. If I wanted to be sure however, there was a ticket office on the dock next to where it berthed.

I decided to walk down and familiarise myself with the route. The dock was far bigger than the one at Bravermouth. Enquiries sent me a good walk down to the pier and office where I paid for my passage.

I found another dark corner and transported myself back to my bedroom where I tidied myself up before strolling downstairs to wait for dinner with my mother, and listen to her talk on the responsibilities of marriage and having a family.

The talk over dinner was farm matters, with my junior brother learning of his new responsibilities as trainee farm manager in my place. I took my leave soon after, returning to the inn and having a beer there while I waited out the time to rejoin Xen.

Xen greeted me with complaints of her aches, she'd ridden out in the afternoon and ridden a bit far and spent too long in the saddle. After I'd massaged her painful parts, she cuddled to my back and we slept that way till morning.

We agreed that my visit would be unannounced, with her acting (only a little bit) surprised. All went to plan, me booking myself into an inn in town before going out to make my first call on them until I got down to the dock.

As I walked down to my ship, I came across a knot of people protesting around one of the piers. Asking what it was about brought up the complaint that the sailors were unwilling to take the ship to the Far Isles because of the rumours of the revolution there.

The news was travelling fast, thought it seemed that most of the would-be passengers hadn't heard or didn't care. Still, it was none of my business and I passed them and continued on down to my ship's berth.

12