Reading the Defense Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On and off throughout the night, the air conditioning unit had been pushing cool air through the vents. As he walked through the halls, the hardwood floor was cool against his bare feet. Checking the front room and seeing nothing on the couch, he noticed the track lighting in the kitchen was dimmed and so he followed it. That was when he saw her. For a second he forgot to breathe, she was curled up near the window wearing his shirt. The shirt was big on her but he could clearly make out her bottom as her legs were pulled to her chest, her skin the color of vanilla ice cream. His heart was pounding so hard he wouldn't be surprised if she could hear it, but she gave no sign of knowing he was there. Sinking to the magnetic pull of her body, he walked out to her, then rubbed his hand lightly on her back as he reached her. Samantha turned to look up at him and in that moment nothing could have torn him away from dropping his lips to hers and sealing them together. It was a brief kiss of comfort, a kiss that he had been craving for his entire life.

The banquette stretched as far as the bay window. Gabe placed his hand on her shoulder pushing her forward a little. He lifted his leg and brought himself to sit directly behind her, each of his legs on either side of hers, keeping them in place. Samantha leaned back against his chest, molding her body to him.

"My bed was cold." Gabe said as he nuzzled her ear.

As the warmth of his body consumed her, Samantha's eyes drifted shut. "I got thirsty."

"How long have you been down here?" Noticing that she was shivering, Gabe wrapped his arms around Samantha and rubbed her chilled legs. As one hand lingered, she brought her own fingers to it and stroked his hand.

"Not that long, I was going to head back up but wanted to sit here for a few more minutes." She felt his breath on her back as he let out sigh before resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Why?" She simply shrugged her shoulders, jarring his chin slightly. "Samantha." When he said her name, it wasn't a question but more of a request.

"I was comfortable." He kissed her neck and lowered his cheek to her shoulder.

"You weren't comfortable up there?" She laughed, but the sound was tired.

Turning her head she looked over at him. "You're impossible," she kissed his lips lightly. "When I came down here for some water I got caught up with all of the pictures on the walls. It was nice. I don't know why, but I didn't want to leave here just yet."

Gabe didn't know how to answer her, when people came to his house they glanced around but never really considered them. Samantha was looking over at a card on his refrigerator, something that his brother had sent. The card was simple but said one thing.Golfing is better than football.Gabe followed her eyes and smiled, understanding why she was comfortable.

"How can a man who made a living by getting tackled be such a big softy?"

"I wasn't gentle a little bit ago." He squeezed her side making her squirm a little.

"No, you weren't." Her voice softened, "and I liked it."

"I did too."

"Gabe." She was patient knowing it was late, but he was here and curiosity killed the cat.

"Hmm?" Her hair was soft as he pressed his lips to the top of her head.

"How do you do it?"

"I have sisters." She twisted in his lap and rested so she was leaning against his chest. Bringing her hands up, she lightly stirred the light dusting of hair with her fingers.

Her soft touch was making him feel so relaxed that his guard dropped and he opened up to her. "I was arrogant when I started playing. I loved the game but there was a helluva lot being thrown at me and it started to get to me. Halfway through my first season, one of the coaches worked with me and got my head back into the game for the right reasons." Samantha just listened. "That's what I try to do with the guys. I'm hard as hell on them but come December, everything will be second nature. They'll feel connected in every way."

Her soft stroking continued, making him feel all the more comfortable opening up to her. "My family still gets on me because I'm serious on the field." He laughed. "Last year, my sister Tara brought my niece to a game. She cried every time she saw me."

Encouraged by his laughter, Samantha giggled next to him. "Why would she cry? I mean, it's loud but-"

"Tara said it was because I looked upset and so it upset her." He shook his head ruefully; it had been a ridiculous game. The Rams were up by seven points and had possession of the ball. The defensive coaches were spitting out plays for an interception and Gabe had been shouting at his players until he was red in the face. Everyone gave him wide berth as the Cougars walked off of the field without taking the victory.

"Ah, the man with a golden heart. You must be very close to your family then."

"Yeah. When Tony flew out to San Francisco and asked if I'd be willing to join a new club near Chicago, I couldn't say no. It's only a few hours to all of them, and they will get to come down for some games."

"That's nice Gabe." A laugh erupted from him as Samantha awkwardly shifted in his lap until she draped her legs around his waist, one of his hands holding her tightly against him the other stroking her thigh. Running her hands up and down his chest she coked her head and smiled sweetly up at him.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling you out. Softy."

The pulsing of his growing arousal between them told her otherwise, leaning forward he took her mouth with his own. He stroked her with his tongue as her nails ran through the mat of hair on his chest, running circles around his nipples. Soft moans of need escaped Samantha's mouth making Gabe forget about being comfortable and feeling peaceful. He moved his hand from her thigh and searched under the shirt for her warm skin. His hand settled onto her breasts, her nipples had hardened from the chill of the cool air but warmed as they filled his hands. Sweat started to bead on his forehead as he caressed her, leaning back he broke the kiss. Her gaze up at him was hungry, and though he didn't want to break the mood, he had to.

Whispering to her, "we should go upstairs. I don't have anything," she shifted closer to him, his erection straining in the boxers. Brushing her lips across his, she spoke against his open mouth. "I'm on the pill, I want you here Gabe."

Pulling his hand from her shirt, he gripped her head and thrust his tongue into her mouth at her demanding tone. In the matter of a week this woman had undone him and he was enjoying the ride. Samantha pushed Gabe back and started to pull the shirt over her head. He took the chance to move her legs and stand. When they had been in his bedroom, everything had moved so quickly. She hadn't had the chance to see him, when his fingers reached to the waistband she stopped them with her own. Looking intently at him, "Uh-uh, I owe you remember?"

Her delicate fingers managed to get the shorts down before he thrust out in front of her. Licking her lips she reached for him with trembling hands. The pulsing stilled as she stroked his length, taking her time feeling the thick strength of him. The rasp of Gabe's breath only intensified her strokes, and she tightened her grip. In the back of her mind she couldn't figure why she wasn't repulsed. Here they were standing in front of an open window fully exposed, at that moment she thanked god he didn't have neighbors in the back. Dropping her lips, she kissed the head of him. Gabe's eyes shot open, his strained voice called out to her. "Sam, I think we're even."

He manacled both of her wrists in one of his hands as he sat down on the banquette, his back against the wall. Tugging lightly, Samantha followed his direction and crawled on top of him. As she knelt above him, he took nips at her lower lip, licking the outside and then gripping it with his teeth. She moaned at his little game and decided he needed to be punished for it. She lowered her body down so that his arousal traced her glistening folds, dropping her hands to his waist she lifted herself back up. After a couple of times, Gabe couldn't take any more of her teasing and he grabbed her waist.

"No more, I need to feel you." Samantha needed him too and dropped her body to accept him fully. There was no tender strokes this time, Gabe gripped her hips and thrust up possessing her in a way he couldn't understand. Samantha started moaning uncontrollably, speaking in an unknown tongue as her pleasure heightened. Gabe answered in the same language as she started to grind down on his hips, rocking her pelvis and whimpering with each drive. An overwhelming wave rushed through her, she arched her back and threw her head back as her hips rocked faster. Gabe latched his mouth onto her breast and swiveled his tongue around her nipple, her body began to quiver and he knew she was close. Pumping harder into her, he brought his teeth down on the sensitive skin. The sensation threw her over, Samantha's eyes flickered open and she gave a loud cry while gazing into Gabe's face. Feeling her muscles grip him tight and seeing her so vulnerable, Gabe let his own passion take him. He gave a hoarse cry and dropped teeth to her collarbone, spilling himself within her.

They sat there for several minutes cooling down. Despite the air conditioning unit, they were burning up. Samantha ran a hand up and down Gabe's back before he pulled away to look at her.

"I take that back, we're not even." She laughed with him before dropping her lips to his. Eventually they made it back up to his bed and fell into a peaceful sleep.

****

Three weeks later Samantha followed a staff member at Pendicon Field to one of the many reserved viewing boxes. It was the home opener and the game had been sold out for nearly two weeks. Gabe had arranged it for her to meet up with Ernie Devlin's wife Camille, and as she opened the door to the room she spotted her immediately.

The petite woman was sitting in one of the chairs closest to the window looking out over the field. She had been talking to the room's server, her hands flying all over the place as she explained a story. Samantha straightened her hands down her dress and started to walk over to Camille.

"Dana, have you ever failed a book report?" Samantha smiled, knowing Gabe must have explained her story of her students to Ernie and his wife. Just then Camille turned and flashed a warm smile over to Samantha.

"And here I didn't think anyone dressed up for games anymore!" Camille laughed while Samantha blushed at the comment. Reaching out her hand, she went to shake Camille's.

"Honey, you don't even know it yet but we're already friends. Just wait though, you'll see it." Camille handed her a beer bottle, Samantha looked quizzically and shook the empty bottle. Smiling she looked back up to the woman.

"I'm thinking tequila might get me caught up, but then maybe if I chug a few it will be okay." Camille laughed.

"A girl after my own heart, the server is bringing wine in plastic cups. Maybe if we try real hard, it'll feel like tailgating."

Samantha liked her on the spot and as the game started, they fell into easy conversation. She found out that Camille had met Ernie about seven years ago while she was working for a local charity for urban teens. Ernie was still playing at the time and as part of his requirements with the team, he had to make appearances. Camille had been checking the guest roster when Ernie came into the building. She told Samantha she didn't want anything to do with him at first.

"He wouldn't leave me alone all night. I mean the man was pushing me in more ways than one, all of them were not getting anywhere near me. He was only supposed to spend an hour or so at the event and ended up staying to help out after the last guest left."

Samantha smiled at the tenderness evident in Camille's voice. "I went to thank him for probably the fiftieth time when he told me that he had stayed for me."

"Did you give him your number?"

"Girl, that was it. Right there I lost myself to that man. I gave him my number and I'll tell you this. I was on the train not one hour later when he called me." Samantha giggled at how cute a big and burly guy like Ernie must be like behind closed doors.

"So, do you have children?"

Camille faltered for a moment making Samantha worried she had asked something she shouldn't have. "No, we've been trying for about a year but haven't been lucky yet."

Samantha reached over out of instinct and patted her hand, "don't worry Camille, when the time is right it'll happen." Camille looked over at her, trying to smile but not getting the job done. "Besides, the practice has got to be fun, right!" Laughing together, they continued to talk as the game got underway.

As the first quarter wound down and the second began, both women decided that sitting high and mighty wasn't working for either one of them and were able to move down to a seating area reserved for the team's spouses and significant others to get a closer look. When play resumed, Samantha could not remove her eyes from Gabe. In the back of her mind she heard Camille and talked with her but kept finding her gaze falling back to him. He looked powerful and magnificent, his time on the field he transformed into a creature that was like nothing she'd ever seen when being around him. His actions were sharp, movements stiff.

When the final whistle blew, the Cougars ended up taking the Giants to bed. Camille asked what her plans for that evening were and wanted to know if she and Gabe would like to join her and Ernie for dinner. It had become one of their own post game rituals and Samantha was touched by the gesture. Ernie entered the reserved seating area the women had returned to, looking for his wife. Samantha told Camille she would have to ask Gabe and would call her once they figured what the plan was. After the Devlins left, Samantha waited for thirty minutes and still had not seen Gabe come through the door. She pulled her phone out and the screen was blank with no missed calls. Giving in she called him, he picked up immediately.

"Congratulations Coach."

"Thanks." She faltered at the low tone of his voice.

"Camille and Ernie asked if we wanted to join them for dinner, what do you think?"

"I've got to review game film tonight. You're not still here are you?"

"Yes Gabe. I'm still here, but I'm thinking I should have just left after talking to you now."

"I'm sorry Samantha, I didn't realize. I thought you left. I'm going to be stuck for hours."

Feeling hurt by his withdrawal she tried to sound strong. "It's fine Gabe."

Gabe heard the frustration in her voice and knew he needed to fix this. "It's not fine sweetheart, I'm a jackass on game days and you don't deserve what happened. Listen, since I've already screwed up tonight why don't you go to dinner with them and I'll call you tomorrow."

She didn't want to be angry with him, but knew he had a point. She also didn't want to go to dinner with him now anyways; she needed the time to clear her mind. "I don't know, maybe I'll call Camille. I'd better go."

Before she hung up, Gabe apologized one more time and said something to her that melted all of her anger away. "Thanks for coming to the game tonight, I know it turned ugly but it felt good knowing you were here. I'm glad you could see it."

She sighed deeply, "How am I supposed to be mad at you now!" He laughed over the line, she threw a hand over her mouth to cover her rising giggles.

"Please go to dinner, you'll have fun. I'll call you tomorrow sweetheart."

"Okay, goodnight coach."

Almost immediately, she got on the phone and dialed up to Camille to find out where they had decided to go. Twenty minutes later she found herself seated across from the Devlins in a restaurant she would have thought twice about.

"I love finds like these, you have no idea what hit you until that first bite."

"Food poisoning." Ernie merely grumbled while Samantha laughed.

"Don't judge, we've been here after every game and who's the one who praises it the most?" Camille looked around in her seat eyeing the restaurant and then turning back to her husband with an expectant look on her face.

"They do have some good steak." The waiter approached and all three decided that water would be fine for their meals. With a simple menu, Samantha settled on grilled chicken and roasted vegetables. Camille stuck to a salad, claiming she needed to look out for her figure. Ernie of course disagreed and settled on his predictable steak. As soon as the dinner got served, both Ernie and Camille dove in to ask the questions that had been burning them up.

Ernie spoke first, which surprised Samantha. "You know, in all the years I've known Russ, he's never trusted anyone to take his lady out after a game without him. You must be really important to him."

Camille put her fork down and nodded. "And leave them in the fiery pits of hell." Ernie laughed and explained that several of the other wives and significant others were not as approachable as his own wife. Looking back, Samantha had to agree. There were several other glamorous women in the viewing box and none of them so much as glanced in her direction or said hello as she had done.

"So how's come you found yourself alone, not that I don't--"Camille nudged Ernie in the side.

"It's okay Camille, I was actually going to ask you both anyways." Pushing her barely eaten chicken aside, Samantha took a deep breath and glanced up. "I'm curious, I know his job... sorry, I knowyourjobs are demanding but I just don't get it. We talk all of the time, and then today it was like a switch turned on and he was this completely different person."

"What do you mean?" Camille also pushed her plate aside.

"When I called him to ask about dinner, it was strange. He forgot that I was at the stadium, it was the most awkward conversation we've ever had."

"It's a game day." Ernie reached for his glass of water and took a large gulp. Samantha looked over at him with blank eyes waiting for him to explain. "Like I said, I've known Russ for a long time. Now don't get me wrong because I know you're seein' him. He's a bastard on the field, but the guys respect him. Hell, I respect him. But that is the way he is. He's trained himself so that he stays focused. At least, until recently."

Samantha felt a tightness in her chest, afraid of what Ernie was going to say. "Why do you say until recently?" She knew she sounded naïve but she needed someone who understood this lifestyle to explain it, even if it was layman's terms.

Camille patted her hand. "When Ernie and I were just dating, he was the same way Samantha. It was like he had two faces. He has his game face and his home face. The game face is brutal but temporary, the home face lasts forever. For the next six months, Gabe's going to have a bit of both but will probably be more game face. It's his job, it's what they do."

"How do you get through it?"

"I don't take offense, I know Ernie is working hard." She turned to her husband and smiled. "I'm here to support him as best as I can, but also keep doing what I have to do every day. I love him but I also know that his time is split up right now, it's the way it is."

Samantha didn't know what to say so she remained silent. "Gabe is not deliberately trying to hurt you Samantha, he's trying to include you in. Something he hasn't done in a long time."

"Well now I feel bad for being a brat on the phone."

Ernie stopped her before she could say anything else. "Don't. He needs you to keep him in check." Camille slapped his shoulder and laughed. Samantha shook her head before responding.

"Why can't dating a man be easy?"

"Honey, why can't men in general be easy?"

Ernie couldn't resist himself, "I'll be easy with you later, baby." All three laughed and got ready to leave the restaurant. Samantha went home that night with a new perspective on things. Gabe had introduced her to a brand new lifestyle that was bound to create sticky situations but she could be part of it. She had to focus on the fact that he wanted to be with her enough to even try to let her in. What she didn't think about, and something that Ernie had to point out to her was that she also had a life. A life that Gabe was very much interested in and hated that he missed so much of.