All Comments on 'Red Flags'

by spiderman1

Sort by:
  • 41 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Very interesting

Not just a good story, but also a cultural learning experience. Please keep it up. Your two stories have had sad endings, I hope you write a happy one.

Blue88Blue88about 17 years ago
Well Done

Interesting story and while the theme is quite familiar the setting sets it apart. It is well written but could be improved by fleshing it out a bit more. I'm glad that I caught this one - good tale.

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
A good change of pace

Very well written, with good prose and believable characters. Interesting setting for the story and the tale held my interest.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Absolutely good writing

I can vouch what spidey wrote was 99% accurate since I'm from this part of the world. I can see he has taken the time to research on the culture of another country before putting the words down. Yes, their smile is really a double edge sword. And NEVER have a direct confrontation if you are an expatriate. You could really lose out. Not only in terms of money but perhaps your life too.________Very neat little revenge.______Again - well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
No wife = wrong category

Spidey, you constantly insult and demean other writers. Now you post in the wrong category. It was mildly interesting, like a travelogue. No suspense, no real plot. Your knowlege of Thailand surpasses the readers need or desire to know. Perhaps as an aspiring writer, you'll be less quick to spew your venom at others?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
God bless the USA

Interesting tale, interesting mentality with an amount of cliche. Here's a middle aged man wanting to start over. If he stays in the states the only women he can date are bitter, overweight and full of baggage, but if he moves to Thailand they will be young and pretty, expert manipulators and whores, doing everything possible to part with his money. So if you keep on your toes, understand the game and don't trust anybody, you can have young flesh for a reasonable amount of money for the rest of your life. Kind of a sad, cynical way to live a life, plus I can't understand the difference between choosing a whore in the states and a whore in Tayland. I have a feeling that the whore in the states at least would have been more upfront about her purpose than the whore in Tayland that was looking for a "handsome American, yousobig money ticket...Iloveyou..."

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusabout 17 years ago
Great job!

Terrific story! Thanks for writing and keep at it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
White man = $$$

sad but true. but the story is in a wrong category.

ohioohioabout 17 years ago
I hope you'll write some more.

This was a sad story but I enjoyed reading it; it has a strong sense of reality to it, as though at least parts of it you've experienced personally.

Please keep writing! Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
stories for old white men

whom their white, middle aged wives don't want any more; so what do they do? they "cash in" their assets, more like asses, in America or Europe and go partying in Thailand, the land of "smiles" and hook up with hookers, who are mostly in their late teens or early to mid 20's (because older meant they are all diseased, all washed up, too exhausted looking, despite their earlier beauty: diseases given to them by other old farts from America and Europe),,, and what did this old fart expect?.... A loving, faithful beautiful young innocent "Toy" to suck his dick every time he orders?....... Poor ex evengelical christian idiots..... they get the 2 by 4 here, from their white wives; and they get the 2 by 4 there in Asia or south America........ Perhaps AFRCIA next? Those Black girls in Africa have not learned to play the games white women, South American women, and Asian women have learned to play with washed up, bitter, 13th century white males from America and Europe,,,, perhaps Africa is the last frontier for these old white men who still dream like those white guys in THE HEART OF DARKNESS (as well as in Apocolyps Now)?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Gentle deceit

Having spent many years in Thailand I really enjoyed your story of the gentle deceit practiced by the Thai - but I think you became an expatriate not ex-patriot when you left the US.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Good story and Believable -

For No-wife = Wrong Category. It is a shame you did not read the story, bozo. She is married, she is screwing around that = Loving Wives category.

As for Thailand, the paid sex industry there is probably in the top 10 industries in the country. However, the open sex going from bargirl to bargirl is a great way for STD. The AIDS rate there is close to that of Africa.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 17 years ago
stunnigly awful and mindless crap

The writing is good but the story is Just awful unfathomable crap from the very beginning to the end.

<br></br>

we begin with Jessie James burned emotionally and mentally from a cheating wife. So what does he do? Goes to Thialand because he was there 20-25 year ago and the woman there are not chating lying whores??!?!?!

<br></br>

Is this writer fucking kidding me? Maybe I am too cynical... but this has to one of the more stupid premises of all time. Its akin to being in WW2 and complaining and the brutality then going to a concentration camp...

<br></br>

The Old giy on the plane says " Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.... Set limits and see with your eyes and brain, not your dick..... If something doesn't feel correct, it probably isn't.

<br></br>

Upon arriving in Thailand Jessie James has tons of mindless meaningless sex fall and amazingly is feeling hollow.

<br></br>

So the 1st time Jessie sees a Thai woman that isnt a whore at a bar he falls in love. A Woman who cannot answer a basic question.... and is fucking this babe for months before he gets around to looking into her handbag... after all this is Thailand and NO woman should or would ever get upset if the guy were to do this.

sorry folks none of this make any sense....

KOLKOREKOLKOREabout 17 years ago
He found his own Thailand…

The story reminded me of a folk tale. A wise teacher from a remote village sent his students to Paris. He asked them to stay there for a period of time and upon their return be ready to provide a report on the big city. Both students went to Paris to fulfill their teacher’s request. Upon their return the teacher summoned them.

The first student reported dutifully: “My teacher, thank you for sending me to this great city of arts and enlightens. It’s filled with scholars and wisdom. You can learn and develop in any direction you wish; be it science or liberal arts. Thank you for the inspiration and the motivation you provided me.”

Next, he summons the second student. “What have you found?” he asked “My teacher”, said the student, “the city is filthy and sinful, filled with brothels drunks and all kinds of devious life styles and pitfalls which await you at every corner. It was one of the most difficult tests you have ever given me. “I guess” concluded the teacher “that each of you has found his own Paris...”

Back to the story here, with all the warnings the fresh burns from one divorce and despite red flags to which he was aware he still went ahead like a fly into the fire, seemingly not learning anything new and not forgetting any of the old bad habits. There are self destructive people every where. If you have not learned why you keep repeating self defeating patterns you will go on repeating them even if you run to the end of the world (you still carry yourself with you).

What was wrong with the woman from the orphanage? It looks like she was the right woman in all respects. Is that why he avoided any contact with her even after his separation from “Toy” (what a name)?

The Cultural/ethnic expose’ (assuming that they are accurate) were interesting. I wish there was more going on in terms of development in the main character which went from one disappointment with women to yet another, but I doubt if he learned much about himself.

peggytwittypeggytwittyabout 17 years ago
So very well done

It has been over 35 years since I enjoyed Thailand but I see some of the same is still in place. This was a great read as it shows, though not as intensely, how different cultures are around this wonderful world. Most people never get to understand that survival and protecting your loved ones is all many people in the world care about, and everyday is just to survive. I wish our government leaders could understand not every people worry about freedom as much as survival. Who promises and delivers food and shelter is all that is really meaningful to those who struggle every day to survive. Freedom is just a word when you are starving.<p>We are lucky and should appreciate what we have been born into, as it is not what the majority of people in this world can even comprehend.<p> Thank you for the great entertainment<p>PT

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I will give you 50 for a good story. But

I dont understand why anyone would want to live this type of life in this lifestyle. It is used and user no real anything. Why not just buy a sheep and keep it in a pen and when you want sex go do the sheep? It is less expensive and probably more satisfying. At 50$ at day the sex alone is very expensive. Include with that the cost of drinks and the bar tab for the girl and we can figure about $ 100 a day, 36,500$ a year just for fucking a nameless girl for no reason other than fucking her. If thats you full need just go see a doctor get the chems that do chemical castration and get over it and save the $36,500 per year.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Shame...

... you had to take this entire story from the author Stephen Leather's book "Private Dancer"

hawkeye007hawkeye007about 15 years ago
realistic story

This story is not lifted from "private dancer." Yes, there are similarities in the stories. The story is a universal one in Thailand. It would be impossible to discuss the culture without touching commom threads. The story realistically reflects the way it is in the land of smiles. As to why men go to Thailand, the answer is sex and lots of it with beautiful available females.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
writer clearly understands Thailand

As a Thai speaking farang with much experience, I can tell you that he pretty much nailed it. All accurate, except that in the end the Thais would seek their own revenge and he would not be safe in Chiang Mai.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
everywhere

there are the women that are lying, etc, except that the cultural limits modify the whole thing a bit. red flags and he was aware of them, before he was hurt

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 14 years ago
He had a run of bad luck when it came to women

A sad sort of a story, but I guess in the end he was lucky he didn't get taken for a fall.The author is a good story teller. A well written piece of work. Thanks

PultoyPultoyover 13 years ago
An education in this story

I've not been to Thailand, but have gone many times to Latin America. The attitudes of the Latinas is very much the similar as you describe here.

This is a true and accurate telling of how things are in our world.

Thank you for writing this.

0649d0649dover 13 years ago
naaasty

the number of STDs you can get from all that fucking around!!

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Ah!!!! The women of Thailand were the best memories of my tour of SE Asia!!

Back in the late 60's, American GI could get all the pussy you wanted for less than $5.00 a day. You could rent a woman by the hour, day, week, or month. Most could suck the chrome off a bumper hitch and were tighter than any other women I have ever had.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
99,9% close to the truth.

Liked it A LOT and it gave me an smile 2..

Understand an countrys culture before you do anything else, as we are very different in all parts of the world. Just the differencies is the first hurdle, and then,,, you learn.. usually the hard way.. but its what makes the world go around.. still :-)

THNX Godd and well written n pretty close 2 actual life as well.

hawkeye0007hawkeye0007about 11 years ago
Loved it

I've been there and done that. That's the way it is in Thailand and I suspect other third world countries. Travellers beware...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
commenting on your own story?

How fucked up is that.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 11 years ago
Since I read for entertainment and this entertained me...

I will admit that I really enjoyed it, I was afraid he was going to get really fucked (again) or get one of those STDs that antibiotics won't cure. Did you know that most cases of gonorrhea are not curable with antibiotics now? So be careful, wrap it and don't eat pussy if you have a mouth ulcer, I don't care how clean they look, or how good they smell or taste. Good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Nice

I really enjoyed the story and gave it 5 stars.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 10 years ago
Loved it

Very well written. Not sure if the author had intended this to be an opening chapter or a stand alone. This was good enough to make a series. Five stars.

Tim413413Tim413413over 9 years ago
I read

both of SM1's stories. Both were thoroughly entertaining. Too bad he did not write more Lit. stories.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 9 years ago
Excellent

Better he found out beforehand. If not, it would have cost him a ton, in cash and self-respect.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 9 years ago
Excellent

Better he found out beforehand. It would have cost him a ton, in cash and in respect.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago
Second time through...

Five stars. Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Duh

Been there and Nam, ME fucking you all night long. Me fucking you and go to States. I was a young Gi and pussy and beer was on my mind. Carry condoms and a spoon and fork. Hey GI fuck you all night long.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Me too

Been there too.Will never forget 'me Lucy me good girl me clean girl me got certificate'.Well I was 19 and American so it would hVe been churlishness not to.

Oh to be young and stupid again.

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Liked it

Good little story. I spent a short tour in Thailand. This rings true to me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Your best story

Thanks.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxalmost 2 years ago

Yup, that pretty much is how it is in Thailand.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

2 sad stories from 1`5 years ago. The author must have carried much pain.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sad but far too true. Having spent many months and many trips to the land of smiles most thai women want a farang for one reason, money. The point regarding Mia Noi (little wife) and Giks is spot on true, but they participate willingly in the very thing they complain about. If you are lucky to find a good thai woman, she will have no tattoos and will happily take you home to eat with her family. Never spend time with a bar girl...it is not healthy.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous