Replacing Cupid

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's funny you don't look like a pirate."

"That is because you watch too many movies," Edward answered smiling. "Now listen, many years ago I was given a chance to chose my destiny, and now I am offering you the same opportunity. And I am going to explain it to you the same way the man in the chair that I was telling you about explained it to me. Because of the pure love that you have experienced with Anna; a true love that had been cut short, you have been chosen. You will have the opportunity to share that love with her again, but first, you must spread that love to others, bringing couples together so they might feel the joys of true love."

"What like a Cupid thing?" Billy asked.

"Yes exactly like a Cupid thing. As a matter of fact many centuries ago Cupid passed on this curse or the blessing depending on how you look at it so his work would carry on. You must bring people together infecting them with love. But your heart must remain pure; you must purge all hatred and desires for revenge from you. If you can accept this then once a year on Valentine's day you will see Anna for a brief moment. And on that very day if you convince someone who has had their true love ripped from them to turn away from the revenge that consumes their heart and agrees to continue Cupids work Anna and you will be reunited for eternity. If you cannot convince them then, you will spread love around for another year until February 14th when you will have the chance to convince another lost soul."

"What happens if I do not take this offer?" Billy questioned.

" You will get the brief satisfaction of revenge that your heart hungers for. But the price will be surrendering any chance that you will ever see Anna again and both of your souls will wander alone filled with sorrow and misery till the end of time. The choice is yours, but you do not have much time." Edward said as he walked into the shadows to sit with his beloved Marry.

This was becoming too much for Billy to take and began to wonder if he had lost to much blood and slipped into some strange subconscious state of mind. Deciding he needed a drink he reached down to grab his glass of bourbon. He stared at the glass afraid to touch it because it was no longer filled with the amber colored liquid. Instead, it now was full of a thick pink potion that glittered in the light.

The voice of Edward came to him from the corner of the room. "If you choose revenge so be it. But if you agree to carry on Cupid's work and you want to be with Anna again just drink what's in the glass. And let justice run its natural course."

Billy thought he was going crazy none of this made sense. He brought the glass with the pink concoction to his nose taking in its sweet scent. Just then the front door opened and he found himself looking into the eyes of the man who took everything from him.

"I always pegged you for a whiskey man, but I should have known a pussy like you would prefer a pink girly drink." The man at the door said as his gun painted a red laser dot on Billy's forehead. "You know it didn't have to be like this. Did you actually think we would just let you walk away from the organization?" The man said shaking his head. "And for what, a piece of ass. What the fuck were you thinking? You do know that she died because of you and if makes you feel any better she cried your name as she took her last breath."

Billy was glad he had the drink in his hand and not his gun. Because if he had his pistol the man at the door would be dead before he had a chance to return a shot. And that would be too quick, to painless. No this was personal, and Billy wanted to make him fight for his last breath. He wanted to feel the life leaving the man's body as his hands tightly squeezed his neck.

Just then both men noticed movement coming from the shadows. The eyes of the man by the door began to widen as they filled with fear. "Bitch you're dead, we killed you." He said as he began to shoot his gun at the figure who emerged into the light.

Billy watched as Anna came into full view walking towards him. Never once acknowledging the man who was shooting at her. He watched as the ineffective bullets sailed through her without leaving a single mark. His eyes began to water as the tears washed out all the hatred and anger that moments ago had consumed him. His heart began to thaw from the reminder of the loving warmth they had shared together. Determined not to lose Anna again he knew what he must do. Looking towards the door, Billy noticed that the man with the gun had reloaded and was now pointing it in his direction. As Billy brought the pink liquid towards his lips, he heard the distinctive sound of a gun going off. And just then everything went black.

Opening his eyes, he noticed Edward standing over him. "Am I dead?"

"No Billy you did well. You are in a state of limbo you able to make yourself appear where and when you want as you spread Cupid's magic." Edward said as he handed him a worn dusty book. "You will find the answers to all your questions in here. I just hope your chapter is a short one." Edward reached down and helped Billy up then patted him on the back and wished him good luck.

As Edward turned to join Mary, Billy asked him one last question. "Whatever happened to Governor Spotwood?"

"It is in the book along with the stories of all of Cupid's other replacements. But in short, when I fired my pistol it had awoken one of my nearby neighbors. When he came to check on us, he found Governor Spotwood in my house holding a bloody knife with three dead bodies scattered around. When asked what happened all that came out of Spotwood's mouth was some incoherent ramblings about four ghosts. The courts had come to the conclusion that the Governor's thirst for revenge had driven him insane. And instead of hanging him they sentenced him to a mental institution where he spent the rest of his days."

"So justice did run its natural course." Billy said.

"Yes it did Billy, yes it did."

Billy watched as Edward and Mary walked away hand in hand before slowly disappearing. Seeing the two of them together gave him hope of reuniting with his true love. Billy then looked down at the tattered old book that Edward had given him and began reading through it's worn pages to see what was expected of him. Hoping the sooner he got started, the sooner Anna would be in his arms again.

*

Six months later in the middle of Central Park, a homeless man was sitting alone on a bench enjoying the sunshine as he read someone's discarded newspaper. Smiling as he read the headline MOB BOSS FOUND GUILTY IN NINE MURDERS. The homeless man laughed inside remembering how an old friend once told him that justice would run its natural course. Smiling Billy set the paper down then noticed two strangers who were sharing a bench for lunch. He watched as the young man nervously introduced himself to the attractive woman. And that is when Billy decided it was time for him to work his magic.

12