Rescued By Each Other

Story Info
Two needy people discover each other.
4.4k words
4.49
36k
41
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Copyright 2011 by madengineer3

I was entering my least favorite time of the year; Thanksgiving and Christmas. In years past I loved those holidays, especially Thanksgiving. However, I lost my family a year ago. It wasn't disease that took them, it was a drunk driver.

The driver was a snotty nosed city kid driving the fast sports car his parents had given him. He was on his way home for Thanksgiving break and had enjoyed the frat party a bit too much. But, he was a liberal arts major and thought he had all the answers. He had a blood alcohol level of just over three times the legal limit. At the scene, he kept swearing about the "stupid bitch" in the other car. It was my wife he was speaking of. I had been driving my car ahead of her's. We needed to drop my car off at the dealer's shop to have new tires put on it. It was only the rapid response of the police and my shock that kept me from killing the kid right there. He had killed my wife, son, and daughter. My son, our oldest child, would have graduated from high school in another seven months.

By the time I got turned around and back to the scene, the emergency crew had shown up. They did their best but sometimes your best is not enough.

Anyway, a year had now passed and I was living alone. The kid's insurance company paid me a sum in the seven figure range. They would have probably lost more than that in court. The kid, because he had a rich, politically connected father, got off with a slap on the wrist. He spent six months in a minimum level detention center. (You couldn't call it a prison since there were no fences and you could have as many luxuries as you wanted and could afford.)

Being alone and depressed is a bad combination. I didn't have the will to do much of anything. I wasn't up to cooking and didn't want to eat a Thanksgiving meal alone, so I went over to the Quick Service Truck Stop. Their food is good and their prices are fair.

Anyway, I decided that having my meal around other people who were also alone for Thanksgiving would be a good idea. I was glad that I didn't have to drive far because the snow was really coming down and there were warnings out for a real blizzard. I figured I had time to get there, eat, and get home again before I was snowed in.

I parked my suv in the parking lot and started to go in to eat my meal. As I was about to enter the restaurant I saw what looked like a middle aged woman with a sign asking for money for food.

I have no idea why, but I stopped and asked her when she had eaten her last meal. Her response was that it had been about thirty-six hours. With her all bundled up I couldn't make out much about her looks.

Without even thinking about it I found myself saying "Come on in and join me for a meal. I will pay for whatever meal you want to order. I could use the company."

The woman looked startled, but was very obviously glad for the offer. We entered the restaurant and the truck stop's supervisor came over and started talking to her.

"Get out, if you aren't going to spend some money here ....." I interrupted; "she's with me and I'm a paying customer. Is there a problem with that?"

He indicated that it was fine.

We sat in one of the booths and I ordered us coffee to drink while we looked over the menu.

Mary introduced herself.

So, Mary, what do you want for Thanksgiving dinner?"

"I don't even know your name, but thank you for offering to get me some food. I'll take whatever you are ordering. The old saying "beggars can't be choosers" is very true.

"I should have introduced myself; my name is George. I think I'm going to go with the traditional turkey dinner. Don't consider yourself a beggar, pick a meal that you would like."

"Thank you George, the turkey sounds very good."

We waited for our food but didn't talk a lot. Once we were about half way through the meal I asked a question that had been bothering me.

"I don't really want to pry, but what has caused you to be without food for so long?"

Mary had a very sad look on her face. "I lost my job. The economy is tough right now and the lack of income meant that I couldn't afford the rent on my apartment. I didn't have any real friends in the part of the country where I had been living and decided to try to hitch a ride South. I've made it this far and seem to have run out of luck. Having a face as messed up as mine keeps people from wanting to get near me."

We were most of the way through our dinner when the manager of the truck stop got on the public address system. "We have been informed that the state police are going to shut down the interstate in the next half hour. The Sheriff's office is going to be shutting down the county roads as well. Please finish up eating and try to get to home or someplace to ride out the storm. We're going to shut down in twenty minutes to allow our workers to get home."

Suddenly Mary's face showed tears and serious panic.

"Oh Lord, what am I going to do. They don't want me in here and I have no place of shelter."

"Mary, you don't know me and have no reason to know that I am harmless. However, I will offer you a place to ride out the storm. There will be no strings attached."

"You'd do that?"

"Yes, let's finish up our meal and I'll take you to my place. It's only about fifteen miles from here. I must apologize ahead of time, my housekeeping is not very good."

***********************************

It was an hour later that we arrived at my place. As I drove into the yard the garage door opened and the lights went on in the garage and the kitchen.

"It looks like someone is expecting you, George."

"Oh, you mean because the lights came on. That's Gandolf, my computer, it monitors for a signal from the car and turns on the lights. The only living beings in the house are my two cats, Frodo and Sam."

We pulled into the garage, I shut the garage door and led Mary into the kitchen. Both of my brave cats hid until they became acquainted with this new stranger, Mary.

As I shut the kitchen door I got out of my jacket and helped her out of her coat.

"How long had you been standing in the cold, when I came along?"

"About six hours."

"O.K. then, let me make a suggestion. First I will show you the guest room. It has a small attached bathroom and there are good locks on the bathroom door as well as the guest room door. You look to be about the same size as my wife was so there should be a robe, night-gown, and slippers, that will fit you, in the guest room closet. Take a nice hot soak in the tub. If you just want to go to sleep afterwards just stay in your room for the night. If you want to come out and talk that's also fine. Either tonight, or in the morning, you can use my washer and drier for any clothes you want to clean."

I led her to the room, went to the closet and got out a flannel night-gown, terry robe, and fur lined slippers.

"George, why are you being so kind to me?"

"You need help and I have the means to help you. My belief system requires that I treat people like I would like to be treated. That's enough for me."

Mary had a strange look on her face and went into her room. I could hear the click of the lock and then the water running.

**************************

As it turned out, Mary took her bath and then went to bed. She woke up mid-morning on the next day. She put on the robe and slippers and walked toward the smell of fresh coffee.

"Morning Mary! I made coffee cake, for after breakfast, and there is fresh coffee. What would you like for breakfast?"

"Good morning George. You are being very kind to me. Thank you. Have you eaten?"

"Nope! I wanted to share breakfast with you. What would you like?"

"I'll have whatever you are having, thank you."

"Do you like pancakes?"

"I love them."

"Well, why don't you take your coffee back to your room and look in the closet to find some clothes that will fit you. By the time you are done I'll be well on the way with the pancakes."

**********************

When Mary came back in she had on slacks and a short sleeved shirt.

Within fifteen minutes the pancakes were done. When we sat at the table I returned thanks for the meal and started to eat. I couldn't help notice the bad bruising and scars on Mary's arms and face. I knew, however, that asking about them at the moment would be rude.

"So, George, after I get my clothes washed and dried will you be dropping me back at the truck stop?"

"I can't do that for a while yet. Our county is under a state of emergency and the roads are all closed. They aren't even sending the plows out. We have really gotten snowed in. Don't worry though I have a full pantry and emergency power so we'll do just fine. I hope you don't mind sticking around for a few days."

"Mind??, It will truly be my pleasure. Thank you for your kindness. I'd like to ask a question, but I'm not sure if it is polite to ask."

"Go ahead, Mary, ask away. I may choose not to answer but the asking is just fine."

"I saw the pictures on the wall in the guest room. There were pictures of a lovely lady, and two good looking children. Are they relatives of yours?"

"They were........ They were my wife and kids..... They died last year about this time. A drunk driver killed them."

"Oh, I'm sorry I asked. I don't want to open up old wounds."

"Actually, that is the reason I would rather not be alone for the next little bit. Having human interaction helps me from getting too depressed. When we're done eating I'll show you around the house and then I'll do the dishes."

I showed Mary the house. After she started the washer with all of her clothes in it I brought her back to my little library.

"If you like to read, help yourself. I'm going into my office and do some work."

"You actually work from home?"

"Yes, I own my own little one man company and work from home."

"What do you do?"

"I do engineering work for people and/or companies. When I don't have to do that I write short stories for the fun of it."

I excused myself and got a few hours work done. Around two in the afternoon I realized that I was getting hungry. I went to the living room. I almost didn't recognize it. Mary had really cleaned the living room and it looked good.

Thank you for neatening up the living room. I'm really not a very good housekeeper. "Are you up for some lunch?"

"Yes, that sounds good."

***********************

We had a leisurely lunch and I went back to my work.

At about six that night I wrapped up work for the day and started in on supper. By that time the kitchen, wash room, and dining room had been cleaned and neatened. It was almost like my wife used to keep it. I heated up some left over beef stew. I asked Mary if she was O.K. with alcohol. She was. After dinner I made us both the same type of mixed drinks and let Mary pick the one she wanted. (I didn't want her to think I might have "spiked" her drink.)

It was my turn to be inquisitive.

"I hope I'm not prying too much but I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. Is that O.K., Mary?"

"Yes, but you might not like the answers."

"How did you get all the physical damage. The minor distortion in the lines of your face and some of those bruises and scars look serious."

"A man decided he didn't want to pay for something I provided and he beat me up. I've had three severe beatings in the last year."

"You reported him to the police, didn't you?"

"No, the police don't usually protect people who were in my line of work."

I decided to drop the questioning there. I had a pretty good idea of what she had been doing. There was no reason to embarrass her.

A long pause ensued. Finally Mary spoke.

"You seemed to stop asking questions rather quickly. Is there something wrong?"

"No, I suspect I know the answer to my next questions and I didn't want to embarrass you by asking them."

"What did you assume?"

"I suspect that you involuntarily got involved with the 'second oldest profession". In my book the oldest and lowest profession is reserved for lifelong politicians."

"You assumed that and yet were concerned about my feelings? You are a very strange man, George. I will fill you in on some of the details. When I was a junior in high school my parents died. Because I had to repeat a grade in elementary school I was eighteen at that time. I didn't have any significant skill or training. I had to do something to let me rent an apartment and buy food. The economy was very bad even then. A friend knew a friend, etc. who was in the adult film business. I agreed to do four films for them in return for enough money to rent a low end apartment and stock the shelves and refrigerator with food. After about three years I got mugged on my way home. The scarring on my face couldn't be covered over with a reasonable amount of makeup. That shut off that form of income. The only other thing I was good at led me into prostitution. I don't like it. It is dangerous, as my scars prove, but it put food on my table. The last beating I took was serious. The emergency room doctor told me that the X-rays told him that my cumulative facial damage could cause severe damage or death if it happened again. My nose had been broken right up between the eye sockets and there was a skull fracture along my left temple. That is why I had to move. Are you going to make me leave because of this?"

"No, Mary. I'm not here to judge. I am very sorry you have had such a rough life. As I have gotten more acquainted with your face I am reminded of an adult actress named Kitten V. I enjoyed looking at her. She was very special to me in a way I couldn't explain. I have several movies with her in them. She was the reason I purchased the disks. You are welcome to stay if you wish. I will treat you as a lady. That is how I was brought up."

"Thank you George. You are right; I was billed as Kitten V. Tell me something about your background."

"I was one of those 'geeks' in school. My nose was always in a math or science book. After high school I went to college and eventually earned a Ph.D. in Engineering Physics and passed the Professional Engineer's test. That is what I use to earn my living. My wife, who had a master's degree in mathematics, was my first love. We were designed to be with each other. Her loss has been harder to live with than the loss of my children."

It became silent for a while. Eventually it was late enough so that we went to bed, in our own rooms.

In the morning, after breakfast, I told Mary I wanted to go outside and check to see if there was any ice build up along the eves of the house. I brought along a solid garden rake to knock down any dangerous looking build ups. I was almost done when I heard a loud "crack" and then I went out like a light.

I awoke in my bed. Mary was sitting next to the bed, reading.

"Owwwwww, my head hurts and my stomach's upset. I'm going to be sick!"

Mary placed a stainless steel bowl to catch my vomit. After the vomiting passed I asked;

"What happened?"

"You were outside when a branch on the tree, outside the kitchen, broke off and hit you. You have been out for almost a day and a half. Unfortunately, I had been reading and it was about forty minutes before I noticed that you weren't around. It took me quite a while to get you into the house. I brought you in, dragged you into your bathroom. When I talked to the people at the emergency room they indicated that you needed to be warmed up and then kept still for several hours. They also wanted me to check your pupilary reflex to see if there had been a bleed in your head. I removed your clothes and placed you in a tub of warm water. I kept the water warm for a good hour. Then I dried you off slid you onto a big towel and dragged you to your bed."

"Could you get me some pain killer and a cup of soup?"

"I can bring you the soup but I need to watch for signs of a concussion now that you're awake. I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

"Mary, ...... thank you! You probably saved my life. Had I been alone I'd still be out there."

Mary smiled and left the room.

*********

While I was drinking my cup of tomato soup Mary sat there next to my bed. It was obvious that she was extremely tired.

"Why don't you go and get some sleep? I'll be O.K. here."

"I don't want to run the risk of having you need help and not be able to wake me."

"There is a simple solution; get your night-gown on and use the other half of my bed. I promise that I will behave properly. You'd be safe."

Mary grinned and was back and ready to sleep a short time later.

**********************

It was a good sleep.

Almost a full week passed before the roads were all cleared out. Mary was obviously becoming depressed. It came to a head during dinner one evening.

"George, when are you going to want me to leave?"

"Who says I want you to leave? You know that you can leave at any time you wish."

"You mean that I don't have to leave?" The surprise in Mary's voice was obvious.

"No, you don't. I had forgotten how nice it was to eat with someone else. I had forgotten that having a conversation with someone else could be such a pleasure. Your presence takes the gloom off this house. If I could have my druthers I would have you stay permanently. I could offer you pay, medical insurance, room and board. Whatever it would take to having you here. You take care of the cleaning very nicely. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a slob when it comes to housekeeping. Beside that, I have grown very fond of you!"

Mary was quietly crying.

"Did I say something wrong, Mary?"

"No, no, no, .... it's just that you have just answered a prayer I've had for the last three days. You are a breath of fresh air to me. I had developed a rather low opinion of people, men in particular. But here, you treat me as a lady even though you know what I have done in the past. You seem to ignore my scars. All I can say is thank you, staying here would be a great gift to me."

"You're welcome. Now, I want to suggest something. I have a very good doctor. She's very thorough and likable. I also have a good dentist. I would like to make appointments, with both or them, for you. Whatever is needed I will have it covered at no expense to you. I'll go make the appointments, if you don't object."

************************

A year has now passed. It has been a good year for both Mary and George. Mary attended and then joined George's church. She began to see how very special George really was. For Mary life was looking up, but in some ways life was also empty.

*******************

It was a few days before Christmas when we emotionally "turned a corner". We were reading and enjoying a good fire in the fireplace.

Mary started the ball rolling.

"George, I've got a very personal question for you. Would you mind if I ask it?"

"Be my guest."

"I've seen you, many times, with an obvious erection. Even then I didn't see you look at me differently. Is it my looks that keep you from showing your needs and feelings?"

"No, I don't even consider your looks any more. It's just that I don't want to lose control and treat you other than as a lady. I value you too much for that..... That's not quite it, it's because I love you too much. If I started I couldn't easily stop. It's like when you are pissing in the toilet, once you start it is exceedingly difficult to stop. Beside that I've never seen any indication of interest from you."

"It must be true that some guys are slow on the pickup when emotional signals are involved. I've tried to get your attention. What makes you think that I wouldn't be interested in some attention like that?"

"It had never dawned on me. Are you saying that you would like to move our relationship to a more personal level?"

"Yes, very much so."

"O.K., lets lay down some ground rules. I believe that intercourse is for marriage. Other than that I tend to be very open minded."

12