Rewards of Virtue

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Just to be sure Alex watched until they entered the elevator. He turned and left the building sadly. All the way home he kept telling himself he should have known and stayed well clear of Alice. Barbara and Hope had tried to warn him. He got what he deserved for ignoring the fact she was a Skank. Leopards don't change their spots.

Alex had a couple of friends that were in law enforcement. The next morning when they came into the café for coffee he sat with them. He said, "Guys I have a problem I would like your help with. I know you both take security and investigative jobs from time to time and I think... No, I know I need your help. Yesterday I was leaving Sam's and I saw Alice and Jason checking into the Holiday Inn. I followed them into the lobby. They kissed several times while I watched. They got on the elevator and went up to a room. I'm pretty sure the Skank side of Alice has come back and she is cheating on me. I need proof."

Three weeks later at coffee one morning the two friends handed Alex a large manila envelope. Jack said, "Alex you were right. I'm afraid it's worse than you even suspected. We have pictures and a written narrative but... Damn Boy you just better give it to your lawyer and never even look at it. The Skank is doing gangbangs. Most of her men friends are her old boyfriends. You know many of them because they grew up with us. Some of them are from college too we think. One day she had seven different men from the time she and Jason checked in to the Holiday Inn until she left at about three. Most of them did her more than once. Most of the time she didn't use condoms either. You had better get yourself checked for diseases fast old man."

Alex had already talked to an attorney named Steve Jensen. He had been the family friend and attorney for nearly 40 years. That evening he called Steve and told him he had the documentation for the divorce now. "If you don't come by for coffee in the morning I'll bring it to your office." He said.

The next morning Steve dropped into the café for coffee and picked up the envelope. He said, "I'll look this over and make any changes I need to in the paperwork. Do you still want her served as soon as possible?"

"Yeah. I'm going to kick the Whore out of the house the evening you serve her. I don't want to do it before hand in case she splits," Alex said.

It was two days later when Steve once again came into the café for morning coffee. Alex sat with him for a few minutes and Steve said. "We're serving her at the YMCA this morning just after she gets to work. Good luck Alex."

About eight the café phone rang and Marian answered it. She pulled the receiver from her ear and looked at it in anger. Everyone in the room could hear the yelling coming from the receiver. Alex looked up at her and said, "Well, I guess that call's for me isn't it?"

Marian looked at him and said, "Yes, I guess it is. Whatever it is Alice is sure pissed at you. What did you do to make her this angry?"

"Well Marian, I imagine she was just served with divorce papers."

"What? Why are you... I didn't know you were having any trouble. But it's none of my business. I'm sorry I asked."

Alex took the phone and just let Alice run down. After she quit yelling he said, "Alice I never should have married you. The only good thing I have left from our marriage is the children. I knew you were a Skank and convinced myself you had changed. I found out three weeks ago you hadn't. Don't come home. I changed the locks and I have stopped the credit cards."

When he hung up Alex went into the kitchen where Marian and the help were working. He said, "I guess most of you heard part of that. All I will say is I caught Alice cheating and I filed for divorce. From now on I don't want anyone telling her anything about the business or doing anything she says or asks you to do. I'll try to keep you all out of the line of fire but we all know what Alice is like when she gets angry."

Everyone walked up and either patted him on the shoulder or gave him a small hug. Most of them told him how sorry they were.

Later that evening Alice showed up in town with Jason and another man. Alex got a phone call from a neighbor that someone was trying to break into his house. He grabbed his coat and drove home as fast as he could. He called the sheriff in route. When he got home Alice and one of the men were banging on the door of Alex's house trying to get inside. Just as he was opening his truck door Jason pulled his foot back and tried to kick the door in. Alex said, "Just go on and do that asshole. I'll have the cops arrest you so fast for breaking and entering that your head will spin."

Jason turned and started for Alex. He said, "You little pipsqueak. You never were much in school and you're not much now. You open that damn door right now or I'll kick your ass so bad you'll be in the hospital for a week."

Alex reached under his coat to the small of his back. He pulled his hand back out just as Alice looked at him. Her face blanched when she saw he was carrying his pistol. She put her hand on Jason's arm and said, "Stop Honey. He'll do it and he has a gun."

Alice turned back to Alex and said, "Since you're being such an asshole I've decided to take my things and move to Grandma's. Now are you going to open this door or do we have to do this the hard way?"

Alex looked at the three and said, "Stand back from the door. I'll let you in Alice but I won't let you take a damn thing that isn't your personal property. We'll let the court decide what else you get."

Alice smirked when he mentioned court. The three were moving over to the side when a sheriff's car pulled into the drive. The deputy got out and said, "What's going on here? We got a complaint of a possible burglary?"

Alex and Alice began talking at once. Alex stopped and Alice continued, "...divorce and this asshole won't even let me in to get my clothes."

The deputy looked over at Alex and said, "Is that true Alex?"

Alex said, "No, not entirely. I caught her cheating and filed for divorce. I changed the locks on the house and was coming over to let her in to get her clothes. I got here just as Jason over there was trying to kick the door in. There is his footprint on the door. I was making them move over there so I could unlock the door to let her get her clothes and personal items when you drove up. I would appreciate it if you would stay until that is accomplished."

Alice and her two friends went through the house like a buzz saw. They made no effort to leave it neat. By the time they had all the items Alice felt were her personal property the rooms were a mess. The deputy watched until they drove away then shook Alex's hand. He said, "Alex I'm damn sorry to see this but I'm not surprised. If you need us again just call."

Alex drove back to the restaurant to finish the evening. He was driving past Mrs. Fowler's home when he saw her standing in the door with a shotgun. Alice and her two friends were standing there with their arms full of her clothes. Alex pulled to the curb and walked into the yard. He heard Alice say, "But Granma. You have to let me stay with you. Alex kicked me out of the house and I don't have any place to stay."

Mrs. Fowler looked up to Alex and asked, "That true Alex? Did you kick her out?"

"Yeah, I'm afraid I did. You were right Hope. A leopard doesn't change it's spots." Alex said.

Hope turned back to her granddaughter and said, "Caught you cheating again did he? Well I don't need your kind living here with me. You can just take off with your two friends here. I don't suppose there's anyplace here in town for the likes of you."

Alice was crying as she and the two men walked back to their truck. Alex and Hope watched as they got in the cab, Alice in the middle. Jason was shotgun. As soon as the door closed Alice scooted closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder. They drove off taking the road toward the nearest town.

The case worked its way through the courts and finally came to a hearing. Alex and Steve entered the courtroom full of confidence. They thought they had everything dead to rights. Testimony and evidence was presented and the judge recessed for lunch, to convene again at two in the afternoon. He was using the hour from one until two to go over the case.

Finally two p.m. arrived and court began again. The judge leaned back in his chair and began speaking. "I find in favor of the defendant Alice Fielding. She is awarded divorce on the grounds of extreme mental cruelty levied on her by her husband Alexander Fielding. Never in my long career have I seen a case such as this. Mr. Fielding a man does not own his wife in this day and time. No one has a right to restrict travel like you tried to do to Alice. No one has a right to say who can be their spouse's friends either."

"Custody of the two minor children is awarded to Mrs. Fielding. Mr. Fielding may visit his children under supervision one afternoon a week. If at any time he is found to have a weapon in his possession during this visitation he will be denied further visitation with his children. Additionally Mrs. Fielding is awarded half of the business and sixty percent of the savings and investments. She is awarded the house currently owned by the couple and the 100 by 140 foot lot it sits on. Each person will keep the automobile currently in their possession and their personal property. I award $800.00 per month child support to Mrs. Fielding and $500.00 per month alimony. Mrs. Fielding's maiden name of Fowler is restored to her effective today."

Alex and his attorney sat in shock as the Judge droned on. This was amazing. In rough figures Alice was getting about 75% of the couple's assets and half of Alex's net income. They did not question the child support because Alex had the DNA of his children tested after he found out how many lovers Alice had. The children were definitely and fortunately his so he wanted to provide for them. The rest of the settlement was completely unfair though. Steve shot to his feet and said, "Your Honor, I have to protest. This award is unconscionable. You have bankrupted Mr. Fielding. If you award this amount to his ex-wife he may, nay, he will definitely lose his business and his livelihood. He is the innocent party here."

The Judge looked at Steve and said, "Objection over ruled. Councilor I purposefully made these awards harsh. Mr. Fielding and other's like him have to learn that mistreating a spouse is not condoned in my jurisdiction. Court adjourned."

Alex and Steve left the courthouse in total dejected shock. Steve told Alex they could file an appeal but it would take a couple of years for it to be heard. In the mean time he had to make the transfer's as required by the Judge.

Over the course of the next week Alex began transferring money, stock and property to Alice as required. One of the hardest things for him was missing his children. Alex had to borrow heavily to give Alice cash for her share of the business. Finally Alex had made all the required transfers. He had to move into a small room in the business he had been using for storage. He installed a bathroom and a small bed and chair. His income was now barely enough to pay his personal expenses. The week after the divorce was final Alice put their home up for sale.

About three weeks after the divorce a strange car pulled up in front of the café. A man no one had ever seen before came into the building and asked for a cup of coffee. He sat drinking and looking around. Finally he asked the waitress, Brandy, for Alex.

Alex walked up to the table and the man stood and offered his hand. He said, "Mr. Fielding I don't know if you want to talk to me or not but I thought I would come down and see you, perhaps commiserate with you for a moment. I heard about your divorce and thought probably you would need a friendly person to curse with. You see, I was Alice's first husband. She and her pet Judge nearly bankrupted me like I heard they did to you. She was awarded a little over 80% of our assets when I caught her and Jason cheating and divorced her. I didn't have the money to file an appeal so I just paid and went on."

"I have to admit I was happy when she married you so I could quit paying alimony but I really wish I had the guts to talk to you before you married. She took me for almost a million dollars and in about eighteen months managed to spend it all as far as I could determine. By the time I got the money to file the appeal of the divorce settlement there was no reason to do so because all the money was gone. At times I think she may have moved it offshore but I have never been able to prove that."

"I believe she and the Judge are fuck buddies. I never caught them together but about three months after our divorce she took a cruise. I did find out the Judge made a cruise at the same time on the same ship. I thought that was a little fishy but other than verify she and the Judge did talk some on the ship I could not prove they did anything else. I think she probably paid for his passage though. I had a friend in the bank that said she withdrew a very large amount the month they took the cruise. She spent almost $100,000 that month. Shortly after that money began draining out of her accounts here until it was gone. She then moved back here with her Grandmother and you know the rest."

"I'm sorry you got caught up in her web but there's nothing I could do. I was pretty sure you wouldn't have believed me if I had contacted you and I admit I wanted her to marry so I could quit paying alimony. For what it's worth Mr. Fielding I am sorry."

The man stood and left three dollars on the table. He said, "Use that for the coffee please then let the waitress have the rest. Good luck."

Alex was disconsolate after the divorce. He let himself go, wearing smudged clothes, shaving very rarely. He missed Alice but most of all he missed his children. His employees began watching him with worried expressions on their faces. They seemed more solicitous of him and more protective. Brandy took it on herself to keep his little hovel of a room clean for him.

Brandy told him that since she was only a part time helper she had the time and he needed the help. She had been living with Mrs. Fowler for almost two years in her maids' quarters. Since she worked part time at the café she kept house for her in lieu of rent. She said, "Alex Mrs. Fowler doesn't care if I help you or come home later than I used to. I still have time to cook her supper and do the cleaning I agreed to do for her. Now you just let me be. I have work to do." Alex decided it was easier to leave her alone than argue so he walked outside and never brought it up again.

Mrs. Fowler began coming into the café more frequently. She always talked to Alex when she did. Shortly after the divorce she had come in and when Alex sat with her for a cup of coffee she had said, "Alex I'm only going to say this once but I have to say it. I'm sorry she did you this way but I'm not surprised. I think that Alice makes her living taking from the men in her life. I prayed she would not hurt you but I guess my prayers weren't answered this time. You know you're special to me and if you ever need anything all you have to do is ask. I mean anything too. Help, money, you name it. If I can help you I will."

Finally after two months Marian had all she could stand and she cornered Alex after they closed. "Damn it Alex when are you going to snap out of it? I divorced a cheating bastard and I know how it hurts but I didn't let myself wallow in self-pity like this. Hell, you fall down you cry if it hurts then get up and hit the trail again. Right now you are more of a problem around here than help. I know this is your business but it won't be much longer if you don't get your shit together, SIR! I know the booze we serve is yours but that doesn't mean you need to try and drink it all before we can sell it. Now why don't you get some sleep for a change instead of crawl into your nightly bottle? Take a few days off and go to the resort or take a trip. Forget that damn Skank then come back and take charge again."

Alex felt himself begin to cry again when Marian lit into him. He looked at her and said, "I know you're right Marian but I just can't. Sure I miss Alice but it's the kids. God how I miss them, not seeing them unless Alice is standing there watching, not able to do anything with them that a father should. Knowing Alice is feeding them a line of bullshit about me. Three weeks ago Sam asked me why I tried to shoot Mommy's friend and was I going to shoot them? It just hurts so damn bad!" After that statement Alex got up and walked into his little dimly lit room. Marian saw him reaching for his bottle as he pushed the door closed.

The next morning Alex did show up in the café in clean clothes and cleanly shaved. Marian and Brandy heaved a sigh of relief. Brandy brought him a fresh cup of coffee and placed it at his favorite chair beside the cash register.

Later that morning Pablo, his hired farm hand came into the café. He walked up to Alex and said, "Patron I have done much for you because you have done much for me but I cannot keep on like this. My wife, my family, they need time too. I have worked many weeks without time with them and they sadden. We know you have lost your family but this is not a reason to stop living and doing. A man must hold his head up and do what is expected of him, No? My missus, she wants to go see her family. It is not so busy a time now and we ask if this can be done Patron? I have talked with Jose and he say he can do much of my work for you while we are gone if you would allow it."

Alex looked at Pablo and pushed a chair out from the table for him to use. "Have a seat Pablo. Please." He turned to Brandy and said, "Brandy please bring Pablo a cup of coffee."

Alex reached into his pocket and pulled out his billfold. He took out a check and began filling it out. After he was done he handed it to Pablo and said, "Pablo I'm sorry I have let things go like I have. I know you have been working much more than I should have required of you. My parents and I appreciate what you have done and are doing for us. You and Marian and Brandy and all my other friends have taken good care of me. Now I will try to live up to what you should expect of me. Here, take this check and tell your wife you and she have two weeks to visit her family or do anything else you want. Have a good trip my friend."

When Pablo looked at the check his face blanched and he said, "But Patron. This is too much. I know how much of your money Miss Alice took and you should not give me this."

Alex smiled and said, "Yes I should Pablo. I have taken advantage of you and the others and I intend to make it up to all of you. Take the money and go. Kiss your children for me and have a good time."

Later that afternoon Pablo's wife came into the café. She marched up to Alex and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She looked into his eyes and said, "Thank you Patron. You are much too good to us but thank you." There were tears in her eyes when she turned to leave the café.

Brandy had only been working at the café for about a year but she, too had taken much of Alex's work onto her shoulders. That evening when she was getting ready to go home he asked her to sit with him for a short time. He handed her 3 one hundred dollar bills and told her, "Brandy by now you heard what I gave Pablo. You haven't been working here long but you also deserve a bonus for all your help and concern. I hope you will take this money and buy yourself something nice. I wish I could give you more but..."

Brandy just stared at the money then Alex saw her eyes moisten. She was smiling when she said, "Thank you Alex but you really shouldn't have done this. I know you don't have the money. Please won't you keep this?"