Rewards of Virtue

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Many times Alex would get a hard on watching Brandy move around the house. She seemed to wear more and more revealing or more and more skimpy clothes as the summer progressed. He assumed it was because it was so warm. He would turn the air conditioner down and then he would find it turned up to a warmer temperature and Brandy dressed in next to nothing.

The house was always spotless. The few times they ate at home Brandy would cook a very delicious meal. She was always pleasant to be around. By winter they had settled into a very comfortable relationship. Then the swine flue scare came. It seemed Alex was too busy to get even the regular flu shot and he did not fall in the high priority groups for the swine flu vaccine. Neither did Brandy of course.

You can guess what happened. Alex became deathly ill. He was running at both ends as the saying goes. The first evening he almost lived in the bathroom of his master suite at home. He never heard Brandy come into the room. When she saw him bent over the toilet she knew he was ill. After he quit throwing up she helped him back to his bed. She bathed his face with cool water. She made him chicken soup and cared for him so tenderly. Slowly Alex got better. Finally five days after he became so deathly ill he was able to sit in his sunroom and watch TV. He was too weak to go to work but he could at least read and be up for a change.

Brandy came into the room with his lunch and he realized she had been there with him all through his illness. He had awakened from time to time to see her lying on the bed beside him. When he would move she would wake and try to make him more comfortable. He felt embarrassed.

While Brandy was walking toward him with the light lunch of soup and sandwich she stumbled and almost dropped the tray. Alex stood as rapidly as he could and helped her sit it down. Her face was pale and she was sweating. He reached his hand out and felt her forehead. She was burning up with fever.

"Brandy. You're sick too. Why are you doing all this work and bringing me this meal?"

Brandy looked at him a moment and then turned away. She trotted toward her room and he could hear her in the bathroom throwing up. Alex rushed to her side and began helping her. He held her while she threw up her intestines. He got a clean washrag and gently washed her face then guided her to her bed. For the next six days he returned the favor she had done him as he nursed her through her bout of the flu.

One day after she was getting better she was wearing one of her more skimpy gowns. The way she was laying he could see down the top of it to her beautiful breasts. He raged at himself because he felt his manhood stiffening. How could he be thinking of a thing like that when Brandy was so sick? Besides she worked for him. He firmly believed a man should not get his meat where he got his bread. Put another way, a man didn't fuck the help.

Brandy saw Alex's reaction and a small smile came to her lips. Thankfully Alex did not see her smile.

Alex very rarely got to see his children now. Even though he had more liberal visitation than right after the divorce Alice put every roadblock she could in front of him. Any excuse she could come up with to prevent the visitation she would use. After the will had been read Alex had gotten the investigator's reports on the actions of Alice and the Judge and tried to recoup some of what she had taken in the divorce. As far as could be determined she had spent the entire amount already. He was successful in getting more liberal visitation with his children however. Now he was supposed to get them every other weekend and one month in the summer.

When the children were with Alex they slowly began to be more relaxed around him. They found he was not the ogre their mother claimed him to be. It surely helped that many times Brandy was there too. She and the children became very friendly and when she was not there they would always ask about her and seem slightly upset she was gone.

One Sunday evening after Alex got home from taking the children back to their mother he found Brandy sitting in the den with a glass of wine and a book. He sat with her and poured himself a glass of his favorite scotch-the Glenlivet. They sat in companionable silence drinking their favored beverage and stealing glances at each other.

Alex had been noticing that for the last several months Brandy had not been going out at all. As far as he could remember she had quit dating shortly after he had moved into the house with her. He looked at Brandy and thought how terrifically beautiful she was. Almost without thinking he said, "Brandy could I ask you a personal question?"

Brandy looked up at him and felt her stomach twist. He looked so serious. She wondered what could possibly be wrong? She said, "Of course Alex. You can ask me anything."

"Brandy I don't mean to pry but... Well I was watching you and thinking what a wonderful person you are. You are so great with the kids and it is such a shame you don't have any. I think you would be a great mother and wife. Then I remembered you haven't been dating that I know of in several months. I just wanted to know why that is and if there was something wrong I could help with. I"

Brandy looked at Alex with a haunted expression on her face. She stood so rapidly she dropped her book. She started crying and ran to her room.

Alex sat there in shock for a moment then he followed her to her room. He knocked on the door and when he got no answer he entered anyway. She was lying across her bed crying. It tore his heart out when he saw her shoulders shaking. "Brandy, I'm sorry. I know it is none of my business but I worry about you. You're wasting your life hiding here taking care of me when you should be out there living and enjoying your youth."

"Brandy I'm so sorry. I was only worried about you. I just didn't want you to waste your life caring for this house and me. You are so young and have so much to offer a man. Any man would be so lucky to have you in his life and you are locking yourself away here with me. I was just worried for you and wanted you to be happy."

Brandy looked up at him while she sniffled. "Damn you. I've got what I want. You're just too damn dumb to see it aren't you? Now just go. Leave me alone please."

Alex rose from his seat on her bed and walked to her door. He stood there looking at her and feeling perplexed. "I'm sorry Brandy. I guess I put my nose in where it wasn't needed or wanted but I was worried about you. I know the men your age here in town are always trying to get a date. I overhear a lot at the store and café. I just wondered what had happened." Alex turned and walked away from her door. He went into the den and sat staring out the window. All at once his scotch didn't taste nearly as good and the day wasn't nearly as cheerful.

Brandy came walking slowly into the den shortly after he got settled. She walked up and stood in front of Alex. She was crying again. He could hardly understand her when she began talking. "Damn you Alex. It's you. Compared to you all the other men are nothing. Every date I was on I found myself comparing them to you and they all came out second best. I love you. I kept hoping you would see me as someone other than an employee. I guess I was just fooling myself. I'll get out of your house as soon as I can find someplace else to live. Obviously I was fooling myself to ever think you could see me as someone you could love. I'm sorry."

Alex sat in shock and watched Brandy turn and run from the room. She was crying once again. He followed her to her door but this time it was locked and she wouldn't open it when he knocked. He could hear her crying still and felt terrible. He just hadn't thought. He was 33 she was 22. Sure he had liked her. Hell, he looked forward to seeing her every morning. He spent way too much time talking to her and just looking at her while they were at work or she was working around the house. He had never seriously considered that she would be interested in an old man like he was.

He returned to his den and opened his bottle of Glenlivet. He drank straight from the bottle. He never knew when he went to sleep. He woke at dawn when he felt Brandy put a blanket over him. She gasped when he opened his eyes. He saw her face inches from his as she bent to tuck the blanket around him.

They stared into each other's eyes. Brandy started to rise and Alex didn't think. He reached up and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her down until she lost her balance and fell on top of him.

"Alex what are you doing? Stop!" She said. Brandy was pushing herself up from his chest as she said that. Alex held her tightly enough she could only raise herself about eight inches. He looked into her eyes and pulled her to him once more. This time he began kissing her.

Brandy twisted her head away and Alex used his shoulder to push it back toward his lips. He kissed her again and felt her sag against him. She moaned and her lips opened slightly. Alex slid his tongue into her mouth. She moaned again and opened her mouth. He felt her tongue sliding into his mouth and sliding around wrestling with his tongue.

After several moments of kissing Brandy once more pushed away from Alex. This time he let her go. He twisted his legs off the couch and pulled her down next to him. "Brandy," he said. "I have been feeling more and more for you. I know you have caught me staring at you across the store. I've seen you watch me and frown. I have been falling in love with you for months but I just didn't think I stood a chance. I'm eleven years older than you and you were dating men your own age. I thought all you wanted was to be friends. I didn't want to do anything that would drive you away because I would have rather had you in my life as a friend than not have you in my life at all. I think I have loved you for months but I just never considered risking what I thought we had..."

Brandy smiled and climbed astraddle his legs. She bent and began kissing him again. "Oh, Alex. Sometimes you are so damn stupid. It's no wonder Alice got away with..." Brandy felt Alex stiffen and she gasped. She saw the tears in the corner of his eyes.

She began crying and moaned, "Oh my God. I'm sorry honey. I... GOD how stupid can I be. I didn't mean to hurt you I just..." Brandy tried to get off Alex but he just held her tighter.

Alex pulled Brandy back against his chest and gave her a slow gentle kiss. "Yes, I guess I was stupid. I knew what she was, what she had been in high school and college. I guess I just let myself fall in love with a dream. When we were just friends we got along fine. I LIKED her. I let myself be convinced she had changed because I wanted to believe her. I liked and trusted her way too much. I guess you could say I was stupid but when you like and trust someone it is easy for him or her to pull the wool over your eyes. I know you didn't mean to hurt me but it did. I will always feel the hurt of that betrayal. It did teach me a lesson though. Now I don't trust like I did. I find myself wondering if my friends and customers are lying to me or trying to cheat me. I hate myself when I have those thoughts but it is so hard not to."

"About the only people I trust unreservedly are you, Pablo, Marian and my family. Its hell isn't it when the only people you trust are the ones that work for you?"

"Oh honey. I'm so sorry," Brandy said. "You know we all love you and would do anything for you. I know you trust some of your other friends too now don't you?"

Alex smiled and said, "Well, yes but not like I did Alice and you three."

Brandy shrieked and pushed herself off Alex's lap. She said, "Look at the time. We're already late for work. Hurry and change your clothes."

Alex jerked his head around toward the clock and said, "Damn. I'll just be a few minutes. Call the store and let Marian know we're on our way."

Alex ran for the master suit and his shower. He heard Brandy pick up the phone and begin dialing. He was in such a hurry that he didn't close the doors. When he walked out of the bathroom to dress he heard Brandy still talking on the phone. She said, "No, he didn't. He asked me a really dumb question last night and I'm afraid I began crying. You know how I get on my period. I just lost it and I ran to my room and slammed the door. The next thing I know Alex was there wanting to know if I was OK. I was still so hurt and so angry I just yelled at him. I said, 'Damn you, Alex it's you' then I told him that all other men I dated I compared to him and they always came in second best. I told him I loved him and kept hoping he would see that someday. I was so hurt and angry I told him I would move out this morning, that I could see I had just been fooling myself about him. I slammed the door in his face and he left."

"This morning I was covering him up because he got drunk I think and slept on the couch. I was going to come to work and begin looking for a new place to stay. I woke him up when I was bending over him and he pulled me down onto the couch with him and began kissing me. What?" She giggled and said, "NO! He didn't. All we did was talk."

"He told me he had been falling in love with me for months but had been afraid to say anything because he thought he was too old for me and that I deserved better than him. I cried more and he kissed me more. I was sitting on his lap talking to him about us and Alice when I saw what time it was. No. We're on our way in."

Alex was walking out of the bedroom and he heard Brandy continue, "Here he comes. We're on our way. See ya soon." She hung up the phone and smiled up at him.

Brandy jumped up from the chair and ran to Alex. She gave him a quick kiss on the lips and smiled. "Are you ready to go now Honey? I'll cook your breakfast at the store."

Alex smiled and wrapped his arm around Brandy as he led her toward the door. Since his house was only a block from the business they usually walked.

Throughout the day whenever Alex or Brandy walked near the other one they would reach out and touch. The customers would look at them and most of them would smile. It was obvious something had happened between Alex and Brandy. Most of the customers said it looked like they had both gotten their heads out of their asses and admitted to each other what everyone in town already knew. They were deeply in love and belonged together.

Most of the people in town had despaired of Alex ever realizing he and Brandy belonged together. It had been a standing joke that he always knew where Brandy was and looked at her like a love struck hound dog. Gossip spread over the town like a grass fire. By noon the little store and market had already done more business than they usually did in a whole day. It seems like everyone had to come in and see for him or herself.

The next day was one of Alex's normal trips to Sams. He asked Brandy if she would come with him to help him this time. This wasn't totally out of character because occasionally he would take one of the women or Pablo. This time though Alex seemed quieter during the first part of the trip. Normally he engaged in some light conversation while he drove. Brandy was beginning to worry by the time they pulled into Sam's parking lot. It was still early but they had a business card and liked to get there during the hours they were only open for business customers.

When she heard Alex sigh Brandy turned toward him. His hands were gripping the steering wheel so tightly she could see the strands of muscle on his forearms. Now she was really apprehensive.

Alex turned toward Brandy and said, "Brandy I've been thinking about our talks the last two days. I know we haven't dated but what the heck. I've known you for four years and have worked with you for three of those years. I have even lived with you now for almost a year. I think we know each other very well. I know the kids really like you. Brandy..."

Alex took a deep breath and got a scared look on his face. He said, "Brandy I would like for you to marry me. If you will, we can buy a ring when we get inside..."

Alex stopped talking when he saw the blank look on Brandy's face. She began crying and he felt like the bottom fell out of his stomach. He said, "Oh, hell, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. Just forget..."

Brandy jerked her head up and yelled, "NO. I won't forget it. Don't you dare take it back. YES. YES I'll marry you and yes we can pick out a ring today." She launched herself across the seat and wrapped her arms around Alex. She began kissing him and smiled through her tears.

They just sat and held each other for a while then Alex pushed her back. "Honey we had better go inside. Marian needs some of the things I am buying today for the lunch rush."

The couple walked into Sam's Club hand in hand, leaning on each other. Brandy was looking up at Alex's face the whole walk. They got a cart but the first stop was the jewelry counter. It took almost 45 minutes for her to find the perfect ring but she did and, wonder of wonders it fit perfectly. They purchased it before finishing the rest of their shopping so she could begin wearing it immediately. As they walked through the store Brandy kept looking at her left hand and smiling.

On the trip home, for the first time Alex and Brandy were unhappy his Powerstroke had Captains Chairs. She had to settle for holding his hand rather than sitting next to him like most lovers do.

When they arrived at the store Alex backed up to the loading dock and they began unloading supplies. He was walking into the store with a load when he saw Marian shriek and grab Brandy's hand. She pulled it up before her eyes and smiled. She pulled Brandy into a hug.

Marian looked over Brandy's shoulder and said to Alex, "Well, it's about time you did this. We were all about to give up on you." She broke the embrace she had with Brandy and walked to Alex. After she gave him a big hug she reached into her pocket and pulled her cell phone out.

For the next thirty minutes almost no work got done because Marian was calling all the regular customers and her friends to tell them Alex had finally got his head out of his ass and asked Brandy to marry him.

Brandy set the wedding date for six weeks after her engagement to Alex. They were having the wedding and reception in the restaurant on a Monday evening. Since that was one of the days they did not serve supper it worked perfectly. Brandy's parents came in the week before and stayed with her and Alex. Of course Brandy had already moved her things into Alex's room but her parents were fine with that. The restaurant was over flowing with family and the very closest of the couple's friends. There was no room for other guests. Alex and Brandy were so well thought of in town that they had arranged to use the local VFW for the reception dance where all well wishers would be welcome.

The public reception was to begin at 8 p.m. which just gave everyone at the wedding time to see the couple married, participate in the pictures and have a supper with the bride and groom. After the meal everyone departed for the VFW located three blocks away. During the cake cutting ceremony Steve Jensen, the Attorney walked up to the table beside the Bride and Groom.

"Quiet please," he said. "Before we enter into more festivities and really show this fine couple what we think of them I have a duty to perform for the court."

That got everyone's attention. All knew Steve was an attorney but what could the court have to do with a little wedding. Steve continued his conversation. He said, "You all know that when Mrs. Fowler died she tried to right the wrong done Alex and Alice's first husband when she divorced them. She also provided for Brandy by giving her rights to remain in her room in the house Alex now owns. There was one more bequest she made that had a delay in awarding the benefits. It is now my duty as an officer of the court to carry out Hope Fowlers last request."